Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Quote:

6 Coaches? That in itself is amazing.

I know right? While you're out there warming up with your girls, some programs actually have coaches! It's ridiculous! It almost makes me angry!!!

We don't want you angry, hulk

Wayne Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Thanks to the following programs who committed to sending donations this morning:
South Aiken Girls
South Aiken Boys
Swansea Girls
Barnwell Girls
Barnwell Boys
Spartanburg Girls
Hanna Girls

Last edited by Wayne; 03/26/09 06:17 PM.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Again, this has been hashed over again and again at the SCACA Summer Clinic, the SCHSSCA Winter Clinic, the All-Star selection meetings, etc.. There are several vociferous posters on this Message Board that fail to attend any of those events. Simply put, that is not being "professional" in your duties. Maybe those coaches feel the domain of their particular high school program is as much as they want to contribute to the sport.

Perhaps, if you wish to reach a broader base of contributors, you might expand this information beyond those who were able to attend the aforementioned meetings instead of relying on the fact that it has been hashed over and over within them. There has been much discussion (perhaps even "ad nauseum," Kevin) about the need for contributions, but this is the first time I can recall hard figures on the amount per program that would support these games being posted in public forum. From the running commentary, I see more "oh, okay, now I know" than "we already knew that."

If people could see fit to respond and request without continuing to throw in allegations of unprofessionalism (perhaps we have different concepts of "professionalism," and that's ok, as long as I meet the expectations of the people I have to answer to--my employers seemed to think that taking a certification course needed to teach an AP class this year was more of a professional responsibility than attending the summer clinic. Not entirely certain I agree, but what can ya do), then maybe we can move forward from here.

As long as we're calling a spade a spade, though...

You guys have done (are doing) great things for soccer in this state, and I understand that the current practice of calling people out is not a result of animosity, but rather of passion for what you're trying to accomplish. Frustration is an emotion that is easy to come by in our sport, it seems now more than ever. I would caution, though, against taking a narrow focus on what you are trying to accomplish to the point of discounting what other people do that is not in the same spot.

I agree with the spirit of the thing, but the methodology is becoming very questionable. I know I make myself an easy target, and I have no problem with that, but in general, I think using allegations of unprofessionalism and lack of commitment, not to mention encouragement of parents, etc. to call and harass coaches and become leverage to get contributions to your specific, narrow cause is not only an unfair representation of anyone's overall contributions to the sport, but is also unethical and, yes, unprofessional.

Kyle, you mentioned that it is individuals, programs, booster clubs, etc. that need to get busy and support "the cause," and I appreciate the way you put that. My initial response was to Wayne's post, titled "Coaches Not Supporting All Star Games," which was not only derogatory in tone, but singles out coaches as if they were the only determiners of expenditures--coaches, who are often the ones caught in the crunch between supply and demand. It takes shots at the guys in the trenches--many of whom are working as hard as they can at something they believe is important--just like you are--and who often ask for help and come up short--just like you. If you want to call a friend of mine who just reached into his bank account to buy uniforms for a developing JV program unprofessional and negligent because he didn't also send in money for an all-star game, that's your right and privilege...please forgive me if I exercise mine to disagree with you.

By the way...player fees? What are player fees? We don't charge ours to play.

I've got good news and bad news...
World Cup
World Cup

Donate before this happens to you, too!

World Cup
World Cup
but this is the first time I can recall hard figures on the amount per program that would support these games being posted in public forum
==================================================
From 5/18/08

2008 North-South Soccer Classic @ USC Upstate

Date: June 13-14, 2008

Site: USC Upstate (Spartanburg, SC)

Title Sponsor: Columbia United FC

Uniform Sponsor: STANNO

Cost Breakdown
Banquet - $15 each
Lunch - $6.25 each
Breakfast - $4.25 each
Housing - $15 each
Game Field - $100 per match
Practice Fields - No charge

Players - 72
Coaches - 8
Staff - 10-15

STANNO Commitment

2008 - $7,000 in STANNO products (no money)
2009 - $2,000
2010-11 - based on 10% rebate from sales in NC/SC
======================================================
From 5/28/08

2008 North-South Soccer Classic Financials

USC Upstate - Spartanburg, SC
Lunch = $500
Banquet = $1200
Breakfast = $350
Housing = $1200
Game Fields = $200

Total for Coaches/Players = $3440

Lunch on Friday - $6.25 per person
Breakfast on Saturday - $4.25 pp
Banquet on Friday - $15 pp
Housing Friday night - $15 pp
Training Fields - Complimentary (12:00 pm - 3:30 pm)
Match Fields - $100 per game

Match Program - $1266.26
=======================================================

This was reviewed at the SCACA Summer Clinic as well as posted on SCSoccer.com.

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
I coach at a middle school. Our coaches discussed it and decided to donate. We wanted to help. This is our 5th year of soccer here in the district and its the 1st time that players who played for us would be eligible to play. From day one we have preached the family concept and that our program will always be there for support if they ever need it. Former players come back and help run camp. We truly want to promote our kids and helping to provide this opportunity is a great way for us to do it. The question then becomes what if I never get a player in? Well what if I finally have a kid that would have been but the game does not exist?

World Cup
World Cup
Well what if I finally have a kid that would have been but the game does not exist?

In short, that is what we are trying to prevent. I encourage all coaches to attend one (or both) of the all-star events, whether you have a player involved or not, and evaluate for yourself whether "it's worth it" to the players and coaches that are fortunate enough to participate.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Quote:

...While you are at it, ask your coach if he or she is a member of SCACA and of the SCSCA...

The membership list (at least as of 10/29/08) is here.

Thanks for the link coach P, I did not notice there is a thread with all of the scaca members listed and my name was not on it. I have been a member of scaca as long as I have been coaching and it never occurred to me that there would be a thread with names posted on it. Now everybody thinks I don't contribute anything and it is just a stupid oversight somewhere. Heck, I can even tell you who I sat beside in the stupid meeting this past summer!

I am also a paid member of this site AND I do think it is important to support these events but I have enough problems without having to fend off questions from parents about a list that I did not know existed and was wrong!

World Cup
World Cup
CJ -- The list is sent to us from SCACA and we post it each October. Occasionally there are errors and we ask all coaches to review this before the deadline for registration of December 31. Please conact Shell Dula for confirmation to be sent for our records.

Again, this is nothing new, but I am amazed at times at some of our posters/readers that are visit this board quite regularly who state that they are not aware of information that is quite public.

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
Dale...that is quite possibly the funniest thing that you have ever posted...haha!!!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard