Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Wayne Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Coaches, Parents, Players,

At the Winter Clinic Business Meeting it was pointed out to all coaches how important it is for us to support the soccer all star games here in SC, The North/South Soccer Classic and The CUFC Clash of the Carolinas. To date the following schools are the only ones that have donated money to The Clash.

Brookland-Cayce HS (Boys & Girls)
Irmo HS (Girls)
Mid-Carolina HS
Summerville HS (Girls)
Wando HS
E.L. Wright MS
Wando
West Florence boys
Hilton Head boys

This does not cut it. If we do not pony up for our own games how can we expect others to?

Parents and fans contact your coach and ask why he or she has not donated to the cause. It could be your child who does not get to play in an all star game because it was not funded. I hate to do this in a public forum. But, something has to be done to stir the pot. While you are at it, ask your coach if he or she is a member of SCACA and of the SCSCA. If they are not they do not get to nominate your child for any all star games.

The Weather Is Here. Wish You Were Beautiful.
World Cup
World Cup
Be sure to do call while they are eating dinner with their families. Or, while they are putting their kids to bed would be another good time.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Can I have your number?

World Cup
World Cup

I think our phone numbers, home address, and social security numbers will be up soon if we don't get some money in

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
We'll treat you just like the AIG executives..Give up the money or we'll put your mug out there

World Cup
World Cup
I'm working on it, I'm working on it!!!

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Sticking the target on my back as I type ...

Whilst I do not question the original post at all, I do question the need to spend $25,000 - $30,000 for what is essentially 2 games. Especially, 'in this difficult economy'.

C
Coach
Coach
C
I question any post that has the however-well-intentioned gall to imply that in times where many coaches are digging into their personal pockets just to keep their own programs supplied and running, that anyone who does not donate to one particular event is not supporting "the cause." "The cause" goes far beyond a couple of all-star games and supports far more players that never get a chance to be in one than those who do.

Sorry, Wayne...I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I can't support or condone this kind of strong-arm or guilt-trip tactic. Let those who can give, give what they can, and let those who have given what they can to "the cause" live in peace with themselves...whether they've given to YOUR particular favorite slice of "the cause" or not.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
While you are at it, ask your coach if he or she is a member of SCACA and of the SCSCA. If they are not they do not get to nominate your child for any all star games.

So our coach has to be a member to nominate a player?
Should'nt a player be nominated because they deserve the recognition...not because the school donated to the cause?

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
nothing like opening a 'can o' worms" is there, wayne?

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

I question any post that has the however-well-intentioned gall to imply that in times where many coaches are digging into their personal pockets just to keep their own programs supplied and running, that anyone who does not donate to one particular event is not supporting "the cause." "The cause" goes far beyond a couple of all-star games and supports far more players that never get a chance to be in one than those who do.

Sorry, Wayne...I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I can't support or condone this kind of strong-arm or guilt-trip tactic. Let those who can give, give what they can, and let those who have given what they can to "the cause" live in peace with themselves...whether they've given to YOUR particular favorite slice of "the cause" or not.

Sorry Will, but I'm going to have to disagree with you wholeheartedly on this issue.

Many of the people that "talk" a big game on this Message Board fail to ever show up at any events much less contribute anything monetarily - on all fronts. It takes a lot of time, energy, effort, and yes - money - to pull off the all-star events in prep soccer. I know you are familiar with football's all-star festivities because you have chosen to ingrain yourself at a "football school". That being said, I can assure you that Berkeley, etc., contribute financially to their respective all-star games.

I also want to point out that several coaches have been elected to SCHSSCA Board positions or been in charge of an All-State, Clash, or North-South committee (some coaching that very same year) and not even shown up to the selection meetings. Unreal!

It's time for high school soccer coaches to stop treating this sport as a second tier athletic endeavor and putting it first and foremost on their coaching agenda. When that threshold is walked over then prep soccer in the Palmetto State will have earned the respect it deserves from fellow coaches, administration, media, etc.

It's put up or shut up time for a lot of individuals, programs, soccer booster clubs, etc., to ensure that our senior student-athletes continue to get the same opportunities as other sports. One way in doing so is to "go that extra mile" if needs be to make a commitment to the "whole prep soccer scene".

World Cup
World Cup
It sounds the like mentalities of many are conflicting with the views/opinions of a few. I don't care how you sugar coat it, mafia tactics and the like won't unite the coaching group. If you have to resort to something like this to fund two games, maybe two games aren't worth it.

S
Throw In
Throw In
S
Quote:

It sounds the like mentalities of many are conflicting with the views/opinions of a few. I don't care how you sugar coat it, mafia tactics and the like won't unite the coaching group. If you have to resort to something like this to fund two games, maybe two games aren't worth it.

I think the games are worth it. I think they mean alot to the girls - which is what the game is about.

If monies are needed, why doesn't the committee reach out to the general public as well. I will be more than glad to give to this cause as much as I can.

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
I am a little new to this group...what kind of costs are we talking?

Last edited by Jonathan; 03/26/09 02:01 AM.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Sorry Will, but I'm going to have to disagree with you wholeheartedly on this issue.

Many of the people that "talk" a big game on this Message Board fail to ever show up at any events much less contribute anything monetarily - on all fronts. It takes a lot of time, energy, effort, and yes - money - to pull off the all-star events in prep soccer. I know you are familiar with football's all-star festivities because you have chosen to ingrain yourself at a "football school". That being said, I can assure you that Berkeley, etc., contribute financially to their respective all-star games.

Kyle,

In most cases we are on the same page, but we may have to agree to disagree on this one. Or just disagree.

First of all, I am not in the front row of football's all-star festivities because I am at a "football school." I have absolutely nothing to do with the football program except as a fan, supporter of the student athletes, and sometimes security worker at the games. The only thing I have chosen to "ingrain" myself in at Berkeley High School is a soccer program that was struggling to bring itself from nothing into something, and the young people that program affects. In those, I am most firmly entrenched, and I think the same can be said for many coaches in many programs around the state. To insinuate that anyone who does not contribute to two specific soccer events is somehow negligent and guilty of not "putting [soccer] first and foremost on their coaching agenda" is to ignore the hours, effort, and financial contributions coaches around the state pour into other areas of prep soccer, without which some of the all-stars you wish to honor might not even develop. The "extra mile," Kyle, is not always in the same direction for everyone...and you don't get a team on your side by louding out defenders for not scoring just because that's what the forwards get credit for doing. Everyone on a team contributes in the way they are best able.

That said, I do agree that more support is both desirable and necessary--and on many fronts not just limited to the all-star games. I don't disagree at all with the call; I do take issue with the tactics. There is a huge difference between a call for more assistance and an accusation of inadequate commitment; one tends to garner more widespread support than the other.

When all is said and done, I and others can sleep very well at night knowing where our priorities, commitments, efforts, and yes, even money are going in regards to supporting the overall success of soccer as a sport and the young people who choose to play it. I DO think the all-star games are worth supporting, and if I can see my way clear to contribute to that specific cause, I will. If I decide it's more of a pressing need to spend my money on gear for students who need it to play and equipment to replace worn-out stock, and try to give some kids who will never see an all-star game but love the sport something to feel good about, I'll do that too.

If you want help with your pet project, present the need and the figures, and ask. But don't imply that people who bust their butts day in and day out for soccer are somehow uncommitted and inadequate.

C
Coach
Coach
C
That out of the way, seriously, to business. Perhaps if people understand the need clearly...

What is the approximate cost of doing each of these all-star games "right" so that the players are properly treated and recognized?

What is the current estimate of contributions? How much of a shortfall is there that needs to be made up?

What size average donation from school soccer programs would adequately cover these costs? What corners are cut if they are not met? What other sources of funding are there, if any?

Hope you understand, especially in the current financial state of many districts and athletic programs, people are watching where every dollar goes, and if a dollar gets spent, the powers that approve it want to know that it is going to fill a specific need. Give us an idea of just what is needed, and we will be better able to make a decision on how to help support that need.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

That out of the way, seriously, to business. Perhaps if people understand the need clearly...

What is the approximate cost of doing each of these all-star games "right" so that the players are properly treated and recognized?

What is the current estimate of contributions? How much of a shortfall is there that needs to be made up?

What size average donation from school soccer programs would adequately cover these costs? What corners are cut if they are not met? What other sources of funding are there, if any?

Hope you understand, especially in the current financial state of many districts and athletic programs, people are watching where every dollar goes, and if a dollar gets spent, the powers that approve it want to know that it is going to fill a specific need. Give us an idea of just what is needed, and we will be better able to make a decision on how to help support that need.

Again, this has been hashed over again and again at the SCACA Summer Clinic, the SCHSSCA Winter Clinic, the All-Star selection meetings, etc.. There are several vociferous posters on this Message Board that fail to attend any of those events. Simply put, that is not being "professional" in your duties. Maybe those coaches feel the domain of their particular high school program is as much as they want to contribute to the sport.

To run the North-South Soccer Classic and Clash of the Carolinas properly the financial need is approximately $25-30,000. Fortunately, the past two years (and again in 2009), Columbia United FC has come to the forefront in its support of high school soccer as the title sponsor - contributing $5,000 each to both events. So, all told (and without consulting anyone), I would suspect the "shortfall" currently stands at $15,000 - that is a lot of money to make up in a short time with today's economy.

However, a "proper" All-Star event would be to bring the players and coaches in on Thursday to have four training sessions prior to the Saturday matches. That would also allow the SCHSSCA the opportunity to partake in a local charitable organization as a service project and would provide ample time for all to enjoy the banquets associated with each event. Other prep sports such as baseball, basketball, and football pull this off with great aplomb every year - soccer continues to function these events but on a thread-bare budget (as in $0 carry over from year to year).

Just to run some numbers by you - if every school in the S.C. High School League contributed $50 to the "cause" then with roughly 200 high school members that would be $10,000 as start-up money. So, pony up and take some of that gate money, concession money, player's fees, etc., and send it in to support South Carolina high school soccer.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
I have tried to refrain from nothing but posting scores, but this topic hits to close to home.

Not being professional is the use of extortion. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extortion) Saying that if we don't contribute we are keeping soccer a second tier sport. I am trying my hardest to grow soccer at Blue Ridge, and at the same time make it a respectable program. If we wanted to be second tier, we would not have created JV teams at Blue Ridge this year. We sure wouldn't be encouraging our players to play club in the fall, to attend camps in the summer, participate in tournaments, to get thier ref licenses, etc... We would just show up, practice our hour and go home.

Fact of the matter is, not all schools are equally funded! I am greatful for the money I recieve from my athletic department. But like many, it is not nearly enough! So to try and make up the difference we set out in 2-3 fundraising efforts each year. If we don't break even, any idea who picks up the difference? That would be me, out of my own wallet. But since I am a teacher and coach I am making some serious jack and my family (wife and 2 children) doesn't mind me giving money to soccer instead of them. Fortunately our athletic department pays membership for all our coaches into the SCHSL. But I can foresee that pretty soon, that may come out of my own money! Times are tough for everyone!

You are right, $50 would be great from each school. I would love to be able to give $50 to the cause. But right now I am still very much in the hole with my budget. I would like to think I would have an extra $50 at the end of the season when all bills are paid to contribute to "the cause." But like "the cause" themselves, I haven't had a carry over with money yet! If someone has extra money and wants to donate to a cause, PM me and I'll give you the address for Blue Ridge. But please no personal checks, cash or money orders only!

I am sure not all schools use thier money in the same manner. Gate money barely covers our refs each game. If there is profit, it goes into the general account to help the other "second tier" sports cover thier costs. No one runs a concession stand for us, and we don't collect player fee's.

I would love to be involved in a meeting to select teams. But with all the coaching responsibilities I already have, my weekends I spend with my family are precious! For me, family comes before soccer, and always should for everyone! Driving to Columbia to listen to people argue thier case about an individual I have no idea about is not how I want to spend a Saturday. Perhaps there is a better way to select the players. Each area (Upstate, Columbia, Charleston, Grand Strand, etc...) could have a meeting to select players. Then send a representative to Columbia for a final meeting.

Perhaps at the summer clinic there should be a session on how to run a successfull soccer program. Topics will include:
1) How to extort money from children.
2) How to make those that work thier butt of to try and create top tier programs feel second rate.
Just to lighten the meeting.
3) Shin gaurds...what is the correct size?
4) Which team is the greatest of all time?

Now having said this, I have probably just alienated all my players with the chance of ever making an all-star roster. The chance of gaining respect for a program that is making strides. But I am sure I am not the only one that feels this way, just the only one dumb enough to speak up!

Coach Sharpless Blue Ridge High School
G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
Guess ill add my two cents. Im sure most programs and coaches dont want to "pony" up the money if they are at smaller schools because they know good and well that if they have a deserving player he or she prob will not get voted to the roster. I know of one girl inparticular that 2 years ago led the entire state in goals and points (More than Enzo Martinez as well) but did not get voted to either game after she was nominated. Im sure they looked at teams she played against but that should not matter. She was a senior and deserving but was passed over by players from bigger programs. Im just saying im sure thats a partial reason why most smaller programs dont contribute

C
kick off
kick off
C
Excuse me for not being well versed in the soccer all star games, but having coached three additional sports over my career I do know a little something about all star events in both big budget sports and "second tier" sports. Do we not require a fee to be paid if a player is chosen? I know many all star games require a $50 or $100 fee once a player is chosen. Is there not a big named company that would step in and contribute as a major donor every year. I cannot believe that with all of the soccer playing children in S.C. not one parent or even a former high school player has a connection to a major company that might be willing to lend a helping hand-and I'm saying that knowing the economy is tough right now! Do we sell a program at the event and sell advertisements to try to make money? I know many sports do this as well...Just a few thoughts, but what do I know..

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Excuse me for not being well versed in the soccer all star games, but having coached three additional sports over my career I do know a little something about all star events in both big budget sports and "second tier" sports. Do we not require a fee to be paid if a player is chosen? I know many all star games require a $50 or $100 fee once a player is chosen. Is there not a big named company that would step in and contribute as a major donor every year. I cannot believe that with all of the soccer playing children in S.C. not one parent or even a former high school player has a connection to a major company that might be willing to lend a helping hand-and I'm saying that knowing the economy is tough right now! Do we sell a program at the event and sell advertisements to try to make money? I know many sports do this as well...Just a few thoughts, but what do I know..

See that article on the front page of scsoccer.com.

Clash of the Carolinas HS Donation

Clash of the Carolinas Program Ad

NSSC Friends Sponsorship

NSSC Program Ad

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Yes, a fee is required this year due to players not showing up the last couple of years we have taken this measure. It's outlined on the SCSoccer.com main page - All-Star Games section.

Home Depot was a very generous sponsor of the North-South Soccer Classic for more than a decade. When they pulled their sponsorship due to corporate decisions (i.e. Home Depot Center, etc.) it really cut the NSSC deep and we've been "year-to-year" since.

We do sell an event program and have sponsorship/advertisement opportunities. Again, located on the SCSoccer.com main page.

As for some of the other comments in this thread ... I know that each coach is responsible to his/her program first and foremost, but there are opportunities for each program in the state to contribute in some fashion to the "greater good of prep soccer" via financial donations, labor for the events, planning and direction of the games, etc. that simply go undone.

There is a huge difference between a call for more assistance and an accusation of inadequate commitment; one tends to garner more widespread support than the other.

We have asked many times for assistance. Little is returned. Sometimes a spade must be called a spade.

These questions have been addressed ad nauseum in this forum, at each Summer/Winter Clinic, etc. Ignorance is not the issue here, but perhaps a lack of listening and following through is the problem. There have been many an idle promise or good intention made, but little substance is delivered in many cases by folks on this board. The proof is often in the pudding and I personally take lip-service very lightly -- I believe in actions speaking louder than words.

As for not running a concession stand at a soccer match, would football or basketball or baseball for that matter not offer one as well? This is a money-maker and could be where that elusive $50 or $100 comes!

hat-trick
hat-trick
I really hate that this has gotten to the point that it has with people feeling coerced and made to feel like second class citizens if they can't contribute. I believe most of us appreciate these all-star events and would like to see them continue. At the winter clinic we were asked to consider each soccer program donating $100. I took it as a request at that time and not a coercion. Let's get it back to that level. If half the soccer programs in the state could come up with $100 each, it would go a long way toward covering the short fall. If you don't have the $100 in your budget, can you consider spending a little time on the phone or in the community selling a half page ad? As far as I know, $100 is $100. As the high school soccer community of dedicated coaches, parents, and fans, can we see if we can make this happen? No coercion intended, just an appeal.

Last edited by Coach P; 03/26/09 01:49 PM.
corner kick
corner kick
I personally have never seen an All-Star game or known anyone thats played in one where i play. I think 100$ is an easy contribution to make in order to make sure kid's can play at higher levels against people thier talent. I will most definatly talk to my Coach today and see if the team can come up with 100$ if not i will contribute myself in some way.

World Cup
World Cup
So are we complaining about the Clash or the North/South donations? I can't tell from the post.

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
excuses excuses...It's like the poor kid on the team who can't pay for team gear. Do you just leave it at that? Or do you ask that player to provide some type of service to pay for that? Can the kid not pay atleast some of it?

I would assume that Wayne is not asking for all or none! Are the people in charge going to turn down $20? I would hope not. I would also believe that there is more than money that needs to be spent. How about time and energy?
If you can't come up with the money, give your time! If one school can have atleast 6 coaches from their staff, work and give their time for a state championship game that they were two pk's away from playing in, then atleast one coach from every program should be able to contribute their time for these games. I know that's a little off topic, but the same rules apply! It seems to me, that it is the same people every year working to promote this sport statewide, not to mention at their own programs.

Maradona good, Pele better, George Best.
World Cup
World Cup
6 Coaches? That in itself is amazing.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

So are we complaining about the Clash or the North/South donations? I can't tell from the post.

Wayne listed the programs that have contributed to the Clash but he also mentioned the need for contributions to both events: the Clash and the North-South game.

brace
brace
Quote:

I know right? While you're out there warming up with your girls, some programs actually have coaches! It's ridiculous! It almost makes me angry!!!

Last edited by The Hulk; 03/26/09 03:15 PM.

Hot N Ready - 5 Minutes or less.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

...While you are at it, ask your coach if he or she is a member of SCACA and of the SCSCA...

The membership list (at least as of 10/29/08) is here.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Quote:

I know right? While you're out there warming up with your girls, some programs actually have coaches! It's ridiculous! It almost makes me angry!!!

We don't want you angry, hulk

Wayne Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Thanks to the following programs who committed to sending donations this morning:
South Aiken Girls
South Aiken Boys
Swansea Girls
Barnwell Girls
Barnwell Boys
Spartanburg Girls
Hanna Girls

Last edited by Wayne; 03/26/09 06:17 PM.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Again, this has been hashed over again and again at the SCACA Summer Clinic, the SCHSSCA Winter Clinic, the All-Star selection meetings, etc.. There are several vociferous posters on this Message Board that fail to attend any of those events. Simply put, that is not being "professional" in your duties. Maybe those coaches feel the domain of their particular high school program is as much as they want to contribute to the sport.

Perhaps, if you wish to reach a broader base of contributors, you might expand this information beyond those who were able to attend the aforementioned meetings instead of relying on the fact that it has been hashed over and over within them. There has been much discussion (perhaps even "ad nauseum," Kevin) about the need for contributions, but this is the first time I can recall hard figures on the amount per program that would support these games being posted in public forum. From the running commentary, I see more "oh, okay, now I know" than "we already knew that."

If people could see fit to respond and request without continuing to throw in allegations of unprofessionalism (perhaps we have different concepts of "professionalism," and that's ok, as long as I meet the expectations of the people I have to answer to--my employers seemed to think that taking a certification course needed to teach an AP class this year was more of a professional responsibility than attending the summer clinic. Not entirely certain I agree, but what can ya do), then maybe we can move forward from here.

As long as we're calling a spade a spade, though...

You guys have done (are doing) great things for soccer in this state, and I understand that the current practice of calling people out is not a result of animosity, but rather of passion for what you're trying to accomplish. Frustration is an emotion that is easy to come by in our sport, it seems now more than ever. I would caution, though, against taking a narrow focus on what you are trying to accomplish to the point of discounting what other people do that is not in the same spot.

I agree with the spirit of the thing, but the methodology is becoming very questionable. I know I make myself an easy target, and I have no problem with that, but in general, I think using allegations of unprofessionalism and lack of commitment, not to mention encouragement of parents, etc. to call and harass coaches and become leverage to get contributions to your specific, narrow cause is not only an unfair representation of anyone's overall contributions to the sport, but is also unethical and, yes, unprofessional.

Kyle, you mentioned that it is individuals, programs, booster clubs, etc. that need to get busy and support "the cause," and I appreciate the way you put that. My initial response was to Wayne's post, titled "Coaches Not Supporting All Star Games," which was not only derogatory in tone, but singles out coaches as if they were the only determiners of expenditures--coaches, who are often the ones caught in the crunch between supply and demand. It takes shots at the guys in the trenches--many of whom are working as hard as they can at something they believe is important--just like you are--and who often ask for help and come up short--just like you. If you want to call a friend of mine who just reached into his bank account to buy uniforms for a developing JV program unprofessional and negligent because he didn't also send in money for an all-star game, that's your right and privilege...please forgive me if I exercise mine to disagree with you.

By the way...player fees? What are player fees? We don't charge ours to play.

World Cup
World Cup

Donate before this happens to you, too!

World Cup
World Cup
but this is the first time I can recall hard figures on the amount per program that would support these games being posted in public forum
==================================================
From 5/18/08

2008 North-South Soccer Classic @ USC Upstate

Date: June 13-14, 2008

Site: USC Upstate (Spartanburg, SC)

Title Sponsor: Columbia United FC

Uniform Sponsor: STANNO

Cost Breakdown
Banquet - $15 each
Lunch - $6.25 each
Breakfast - $4.25 each
Housing - $15 each
Game Field - $100 per match
Practice Fields - No charge

Players - 72
Coaches - 8
Staff - 10-15

STANNO Commitment

2008 - $7,000 in STANNO products (no money)
2009 - $2,000
2010-11 - based on 10% rebate from sales in NC/SC
======================================================
From 5/28/08

2008 North-South Soccer Classic Financials

USC Upstate - Spartanburg, SC
Lunch = $500
Banquet = $1200
Breakfast = $350
Housing = $1200
Game Fields = $200

Total for Coaches/Players = $3440

Lunch on Friday - $6.25 per person
Breakfast on Saturday - $4.25 pp
Banquet on Friday - $15 pp
Housing Friday night - $15 pp
Training Fields - Complimentary (12:00 pm - 3:30 pm)
Match Fields - $100 per game

Match Program - $1266.26
=======================================================

This was reviewed at the SCACA Summer Clinic as well as posted on SCSoccer.com.

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
I coach at a middle school. Our coaches discussed it and decided to donate. We wanted to help. This is our 5th year of soccer here in the district and its the 1st time that players who played for us would be eligible to play. From day one we have preached the family concept and that our program will always be there for support if they ever need it. Former players come back and help run camp. We truly want to promote our kids and helping to provide this opportunity is a great way for us to do it. The question then becomes what if I never get a player in? Well what if I finally have a kid that would have been but the game does not exist?

World Cup
World Cup
Well what if I finally have a kid that would have been but the game does not exist?

In short, that is what we are trying to prevent. I encourage all coaches to attend one (or both) of the all-star events, whether you have a player involved or not, and evaluate for yourself whether "it's worth it" to the players and coaches that are fortunate enough to participate.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Quote:

...While you are at it, ask your coach if he or she is a member of SCACA and of the SCSCA...

The membership list (at least as of 10/29/08) is here.

Thanks for the link coach P, I did not notice there is a thread with all of the scaca members listed and my name was not on it. I have been a member of scaca as long as I have been coaching and it never occurred to me that there would be a thread with names posted on it. Now everybody thinks I don't contribute anything and it is just a stupid oversight somewhere. Heck, I can even tell you who I sat beside in the stupid meeting this past summer!

I am also a paid member of this site AND I do think it is important to support these events but I have enough problems without having to fend off questions from parents about a list that I did not know existed and was wrong!

World Cup
World Cup
CJ -- The list is sent to us from SCACA and we post it each October. Occasionally there are errors and we ask all coaches to review this before the deadline for registration of December 31. Please conact Shell Dula for confirmation to be sent for our records.

Again, this is nothing new, but I am amazed at times at some of our posters/readers that are visit this board quite regularly who state that they are not aware of information that is quite public.

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
Dale...that is quite possibly the funniest thing that you have ever posted...haha!!!

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Kevin, I am not claiming ignorance of practices around here. I am saying that I KNOW I am a paid member and it never occurred to me to check behind the high school league when I attended all the meetings at the summer clinic. It is annoying that I have to follow up with Shell Dula about an ommission that should not have occurred...that being said, yes I just sent an email to Shell and copied your brother.

Goal
Goal
Coaches who roll the ball out there for 4 months out of the year and win/lose with players made and cared for by OTHER people who should legitimately be called "coaches" will never understand. They will post mocking lame pictures to discredit the topic at hand and will generally be seen as a fraud and "unprofessional" by others around them. These same people generally do not attend/work the allstar events or the State Championships. They do not attend the Clinics. They do not contribute to any cause that promotes not only the sport but the association. They also tend to be the first people to complain about something that doesn't go their way. They are the ultimate crier who has no invested interest compared to others.

You work hard. I work hard. We all work hard but, this profession is no different than any other one. You have 1 person digging the whole and 5 people leaning on a shovel. I think they're trying to improve that and the time for "asking" nicely is over. It doesn't work. Sometimes you have to rally the troops and to rally them you need to lay it on them to fire up a storm.

If you went to one of these events then you'd understand the quality construction that goes into it. It's not half-assed. It's meticulously designed to be a glorious and honorable event. Something the players will remember the rest of their lives; from formal banquets, to training, to staying overnight, to the all star feel you get from just being selected. If you degrade that in any way then it becomes a farce and a laughing stock. It's possible that a good many of you are OK with being associated with something like that but Kevin, Kyle, Wayne, Dicky, Frank and the others who do everything aren't.

Last edited by shut^&play; 03/26/09 05:21 PM.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Uh, an idea.....

How about putting a 10% "tax" on tournament entry fees with that 10% going directly to support this tournament?

Pay as you go.....the schools that max out on tournaments are probably the same schools with money and the same schools with a lot of players participating.

I'm curious.....what percentage of the SC girls who participated in these all-star games...also participated in Viking Cup? My guess is, probably a pretty high percentage.

World Cup
World Cup
CJ -- Agreed on all fronts. I know of at least 10 omissions from SCACA -- not SCHSL -- concerning their membership lists this past year alone.

This list is used to comprise our All-State, North-South, Clash of the Carolinas selection committees, as well as used to invite coaches to participate in the all-star games.

If your name is not on that list (by January 1) then you are not eligible for consideration for that spring season.

World Cup
World Cup
Post deleted by Dale Jr

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

but this is the first time I can recall hard figures on the amount per program that would support these games being posted in public forum
==================================================
From 5/18/08

2008 North-South Soccer Classic @ USC Upstate

Date: June 13-14, 2008

Site: USC Upstate (Spartanburg, SC)

Title Sponsor: Columbia United FC

Uniform Sponsor: STANNO

Cost Breakdown
Banquet - $15 each
Lunch - $6.25 each
Breakfast - $4.25 each
Housing - $15 each
Game Field - $100 per match
Practice Fields - No charge

Players - 72
Coaches - 8
Staff - 10-15

STANNO Commitment

2008 - $7,000 in STANNO products (no money)
2009 - $2,000
2010-11 - based on 10% rebate from sales in NC/SC
======================================================
From 5/28/08

2008 North-South Soccer Classic Financials

USC Upstate - Spartanburg, SC
Lunch = $500
Banquet = $1200
Breakfast = $350
Housing = $1200
Game Fields = $200

Total for Coaches/Players = $3440

Lunch on Friday - $6.25 per person
Breakfast on Saturday - $4.25 pp
Banquet on Friday - $15 pp
Housing Friday night - $15 pp
Training Fields - Complimentary (12:00 pm - 3:30 pm)
Match Fields - $100 per game

Match Program - $1266.26
=======================================================

This was reviewed at the SCACA Summer Clinic as well as posted on SCSoccer.com.

Thank you. Upon further review I can confirm that there is no estimate in these posts of how much donation per soccer program in SC would be needed to cover this cost. The recent estimates of $50 from every program, or $100 from at least half of the programs, were very helpful in determining an appropriate donation level.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

I knew it was a matter of time. I once knew a guy who sold weed in college, but then dropped out. Nowadays he clings to the under belly of others in hopes of name recognition. He coaches soccer now somewhere in columbia. Drug dealer turned coach. Awesome.

I don't know which poster you're referring to. If it's me (because I was referring to the lame broken arm pic), I have 2 degrees and 2 state championships and the only weeds I know of are the ones in my recently purchased home. I believe you're gravely mistaken on this one and if you really want to make this personal, we can do that as well.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

<< image removed >>
Donate before this happens to you, too!

You might have a HIPAA violation there.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Coaches who roll the ball out there for 4 months out of the year and win/lose with players made and cared for by OTHER people who should legitimately be called "coaches" will never understand. They will post mocking lame pictures to discredit the topic at hand and will generally be seen as a fraud and "unprofessional" by others around them. These same people generally do not attend/work the allstar events or the State Championships. They do not attend the Clinics. They do not contribute to any cause that promotes not only the sport but the association. They also tend to be the first people to complain about something that doesn't go their way. They are the ultimate crier who has no invested interest compared to others.

You work hard. I work hard. We all work hard but, this profession is no different than any other one. You have 1 person digging the whole and 5 people leaning on a shovel. I think they're trying to improve that and the time for "asking" nicely is over. It doesn't work. Sometimes you have to rally the troops and to rally them you need to lay it on them to fire up a storm.

If you went to one of these events then you'd understand the quality construction that goes into it. It's not half-assed. It's meticulously designed to be a glorious and honorable event. Something the players will remember the rest of their lives; from formal banquets, to training, to staying overnight, to the all star feel you get from just being selected. If you degrade that in any way then it becomes a farce and a laughing stock. It's possible that a good many of you are OK with being associated with something like that but Kevin, Kyle, Wayne, Dicky, Frank and the others who do everything aren't.

Here is another one for ya. This is the funny bone they broke when I first said I would only donate $50

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Quote:

I knew it was a matter of time. I once knew a guy who sold weed in college, but then dropped out. Nowadays he clings to the under belly of others in hopes of name recognition. He coaches soccer now somewhere in columbia. Drug dealer turned coach. Awesome.

I don't know which poster you're referring to. If it's me (because I was referring to the lame broken arm pic), I have 2 degrees and 2 state championships and the only weeds I know of are the ones in my recently purchased home. I believe you're gravely mistaken on this one and if you really want to make this personal, we can do that as well.

Hey, I only roll the ball out four or five months a year. What threat am I to you, Keep?

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Dale Jr. might better go ahead and part ways with Eury Jr. 'cause he clearly is not thinking clearly. STRANGE????

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hey, I only roll the ball out four or five months a year. What threat am I to you, Keep?

Believe me, you're not.

You got jokes. I got jokes. I wasn't particularly picking on you, aside from the bad pictures. It's an attempt, in an admittedly crude manner, to give you a perspective from the side who has been increasingly on the defensive ever since they simply asked for help from those they actually serve in the first place. Why?

If you're offended by the comments in my post then it's possible you need to 1. not care what other people think or 2. re-evaluate what you actually do.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Thank you. Upon further review I can confirm that there is no estimate in these posts of how much donation per soccer program in SC would be needed to cover this cost. The recent estimates of $50 from every program, or $100 from at least half of the programs, were very helpful in determining an appropriate donation level.

In addition to being discussed at the winter clinic, the $100 donation per program was requested/suggested on Feb 10 in this thread.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Missed that one...mea culpa, and thank you.

World Cup
World Cup
Lets just all come out from our screen names, donate $100, and be done with this.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Ok...apologies. Sincere apologies.

I responded to what I took as an unfair and inflammatory post with what was probably another unfair and inflammatory post. What this has turned into is something that is no longer about the kids or the sport, but has become a personal sparring contest of attacks and defensive counterattacks. This isn't what we are here to do. Regardless of my opinion (or anyone else's) of the tactics employed, the end result the Heises & company are trying to accomplish is just. Continuing to argue over tactics will not get anyone's job done...so let me apologize for my part in stirring dissent and move on.

World Cup
World Cup
Team Chass/Young out.

Wayne Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Hey, I'm going to START using a screen name. Maybe... Stir The Pot, or The 900 Pound Gorilla, or maybe The Hater. No wait, Mr. Nice Guy!
Anyway, we made $600 today for "the cause." I should have done this sooner.

Signed,
Tongue-in-cheek

Y'all keep it real and keep the money coming. Remember the number to call is BR 549. If you're not old enough to know what that means, Salute!

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Kevin,

Lost in the personal attacks.....was my idea and question. Do you have any idea the percentage of girls in these two all-star games who also played in the VC?

Quote:

Uh, an idea.....

How about putting a 10% "tax" on tournament entry fees with that 10% going directly to support this tournament?

Pay as you go.....the schools that max out on tournaments are probably the same schools with money and the same schools with a lot of players participating.

I'm curious.....what percentage of the SC girls who participated in these all-star games...also participated in Viking Cup? My guess is, probably a pretty high percentage.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Hey, I'm going to START using a screen name. Maybe... Stir The Pot, or The 900 Pound Gorilla, or maybe The Hater. No wait, Mr. Nice Guy!
Anyway, we made $600 today for "the cause." I should have done this sooner.

Signed,
Tongue-in-cheek

Y'all keep it real and keep the money coming. Remember the number to call is BR 549. If you're not old enough to know what that means, Salute!

Hey, I am old enough to have been to a taping of Hee-Haw!

goal
goal
shut^&play, did you just admit to growing weed in your house?

"the only weeds I know of are the ones in my recently purchased home"

(sorry, but you guys can't have all the fun and leave belligerent out of it!)

Last edited by Belligerent; 03/26/09 09:08 PM.
Wayne Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Add Chapin's boys to the list of schools avoiding broken arms and sleeping with horse heads.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

shut^&play, did you just admit to growing weed in your house?

"the only weeds I know of are the ones in my recently purchased home"

(sorry, but you guys can't have all the fun and leave belligerent out of it!)

Ya, you got me. I confess.

World Cup
World Cup
Thanks to Coach Jimmy Watson of Sumter HS for their contribution to both all-star games!

Wayne Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Actual checks received as of 4/2 AM:
Mid Carolina boys
BC girls & boys
Summerville girls
EL Wright MS
Irmo girls
Wando
W Florence boys
Spartanburg girls
Scott Wallace
Swansea girls
Bishop England boys

I know others are on the way. Keep'em coming, or I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse.

Last edited by Wayne; 04/02/09 03:01 PM.

World Cup
World Cup
Thanks to the following programs for their outstanding contributions to the SCHSSCA sponsored all-star soccer games:

Bishop England
T.L. Hanna HS

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard