Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
P
this year could probably be the begining of another championship domination for Irmo for years to come. They have great depth and youth on their side. They will take state this year and compete in the finals for years to come. This years team is probably the highest caliber Irmo team to come through since '03 or ever.

W
goal
goal
W
All due respect they aren't close to some of the early 90 and mid 90 teams. They are good but those teams were just unreal.

kick off
kick off
Quote:

this year could probably be the begining of another championship domination for Irmo for years to come. They have great depth and youth on their side. They will take state this year and compete in the finals for years to come. This years team is probably the highest caliber Irmo team to come through since '03 or ever.

When did Northwestern move out of the state?
They didn't?
*** D'OH! ***

better luck next year

Homer no function beer well without
S
Brace
Brace
S
they may not be as good as previous years, but looking at what they have now and what they have in the future, it is strong to say Irmo is going to make another strong push. Yes, Northwestern is still here but is their program as a whole dominating as Irmo's? Irmo's jv team has 5 or 6 challenge/premier players that could start on some teams varsity.

As of now I think it is a toss up between Irmo and NHS. NHS has the edge because they are reigning state champs but I do believe Irmo has the talent and the coaching to create another dynasty.

corner kick
corner kick
glad to hear about a dominant team again, it was about time.

irmo-df is next week huh? ill try to make it. bc i know some of the boys, i doubt they lose a game this season but in soccer anything can happend, look what happened to madrid vrs liverpool.

Club of the century.
M
brace
brace
M
One game at a time boys . . . One game at a time!

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
P
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
P
NHS is scared to play Irmo, they don't have the d to contain Irmo's attack. They give up too many goals to teams that attacks don't even compare to that of Irmo when they are clicking. If Irmo played NHS tonight i'd predict they'd win 4-2.

kick off
kick off
A dynasty???
They haven't even been in the finals of their own JV tournament for the last 3 or 4 years?

D'OH!

goal kick
goal kick
Irmo has a great team this year and have some great young talent, but they have done nothing this year to even say dynasty is crazy. They have to win state first and in Irmo terms they have not won state in a while (5 years I believe). Any school in the state would love to have Irmo's soccer history but I just think its funny that dynasty is being mentioned with a team who has not won state, capable but not yet done.

Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic.
P
kick off
kick off
P
Quote:

Congratulations to the Irmo Yellow Jacket JV End of Season Tournament Champions!

JV Boys Yellow Division - IRMO 1:0 White Knoll
JV Boys Black MLS #1 - BROOKLAND-CAYCE 3:0 Blythewood
JV Boys Black MLS #2 - HAMMOND 2:1 Summit Parkway
JV Girls Yellow Division - WANDO 2:0 Barnwell
JV Girls Black Division - ST. JAMES 2:0 A.C. Flora

Thanks to Dennis Cook, Irmo HS, and Columbia United FC for hosting this event.

These are the results from the May 2008 Irmo JV end-of-season Tournament.

C
kick off
kick off
C
This year's "irmo" team can not and should not be mentioned with the 2003 or 2004 teams to begin with. The teams from the 90's top this team as well. They are a great team and yes I look forward to see what they will do in the future. As of right now there is only one dynasty in 4a and that is Northwestern.

goal kick
goal kick
irmo does have a very bright future.

it is unfortunare for them that northwestern has a kid named ENZO and the school is still in the state of SC.

otherwise i think they could win this year.

goal
goal
Quote:

NHS is scared to play Irmo, they don't have the d to contain Irmo's attack. They give up too many goals to teams that attacks don't even compare to that of Irmo when they are clicking. If Irmo played NHS tonight i'd predict they'd win 4-2.

pinger, you are an idiot. Please, read what you posted... dumb. Northwestern has allowed 6 goals. Irmo has allowed 5. I would not call that giving up too many goals chief.

Last edited by The Real Henry; 04/08/09 02:49 AM.
sG Offline
corner kick
corner kick
Pinger,
Sounds to me like you might be a bitter Irmo alumni who failed to continue the Irmo dynasty seeing how they havent won it recently. NHS is scared to play, ha right. They are not the ones who cancelled the LMC my friend. Your comment about NHS giving up too many goals is ridiculous, as Henry said, because most of the goals they concede are when most of the starters have come out. Keep trying, but you have nothing on them now. As for a prediction on a NHS-Irmo match, Irmo will have to get to the final first so I cannot say yet. You did achieve one thing in starting this thread, it just gives NHS another reason to squash some yellow jackets. Thats it for me for the night.
Stevie G

One Time!
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
ZAM!!

S
throw in
throw in
S
sG ... for your information northwestern dropped out of the tournament before any of the teams. and as for pinger idk why he insist on boasting for no apperant reason

goal
goal
Regardless, the LMC was cancelled anyways. Am I correct?

M
bench
bench
M
yes it was cancelled but not because of the teams in the midlands...theres a small chance they couldve gotten some of the remaining games in, but northwestern didnt even show up to play their next game

Goal
Goal
Quote:

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”
B
kick off
kick off
B
Cold Hard Truth,

Maybe Cold Hard Plagarism, Why not go for the Brass Ring
and make it Shibumi but add an extra i on the end.

No wonder grades are so pathetic these days.

Change your sign on and be original.

Last edited by BS TERMINATOR; 04/09/09 02:55 PM.
kick off
kick off
Quote:

Why not gold for the Brass Ring

No wonder grades are so pathetic these days.

D'OH!

B
kick off
kick off
B
Thank You,
Too angry to be correct.

C
kick off
kick off
C
I might, let me think about it. Lets stick to the subject that Irmo does not have a dynasty as of right now.

P.S. I have been on this board since 2004. I am pretty sure that is a lot longer than the "original".

Last edited by Cold Hard Truth; 04/09/09 04:50 PM.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Really?? Look to the left..Reged 03/26/09

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Long enough to realize the "original" was already using that screen name and not duplicate it?

I don't think the subject was that Irmo does NOT have a dynasty right now...I think the subject was a debate thereof, depending on the individual posters' point of view.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
kick off
kick off
C
My original name chiefsfan, which was created in 2004 to just read the forums was deleted due to inactivity I assume, so I recently re registered under that name and since everyone is getting their panties in a wad over it I have changed it. Now coach chass you are correct and I have stated my opinion and will leave it at that.

Last edited by Cant Coach That; 04/10/09 05:35 AM.
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Respect, sir, for grace under pressure.

I've got good news and bad news...
B
kick off
kick off
B
Cant Coach That

I like that,

Hammer Time?

W
kick off
kick off
W
irmo moves to lower state this year, chances r we will see the NW v. IRMO matchup in the final, the two best teams? probably, i predict Irmo wins 3-2, then we can talk of a repeat, then maybe dynasty, late 80s Irmo some of the best futbol teams ever, got the lead then didnt let you touch the ball

R
bench
bench
R
Irmo has had one slip up where the number 4 team in the state at the time got 3 undeserved goals. I believe if white knoll can score four goals on irmos defense even without one of their key man marking backs in kyle hubbard also they were missing oliver nobels and emmett lunceford then i believe white knoll could score 4 or more against northwesterns unskilled and just bad defense. the only problem they would have of course is getting through the mid-field but I believe it is very possible.

M
throw in
throw in
M
unskilled and just bad defense? per NHSXCOACH:

Northwestern 2 - Fort Mill 0
Halftime: NHS 1 - FMHS 0
Goals: N Enzo Martinez 7', Zack Clark 50'
Assist: N Alex Martinez
Shots on frame: N 14 - FM 0
Shots off frame: N 9 - FM 4
Corners: N 12 - FM 4
Free Kicks: N 11 - FM 11
Saves: N Clayton Gladden 0; FM Sean Van Etten 8
Yellows: FM T. Vukoder 52', FM K. Fielden 64', FM A. Parra 74'
Records: N 8-0, 2-0; FM 5-1-1, 1-1

Fort Mill (who were something like 3rd in state when they played each other) did not get a sniff at goal. Ferguson and Benson are playing at CofC next year, so unless Lundy has lowered his standards considerably, then you are wrong on that that one.

sG Offline
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Irmo has had one slip up where the number 4 team in the state at the time got 3 undeserved goals. I believe if white knoll can score four goals on irmos defense even without one of their key man marking backs in kyle hubbard also they were missing oliver nobels and emmett lunceford then i believe white knoll could score 4 or more against northwesterns unskilled and just bad defense. the only problem they would have of course is getting through the mid-field but I believe it is very possible.

That, sir, is a dumb statement. As MUnited said, NW center backs Robbie Benson and Shawn Ferguson, have both signed scholarships for CofC. I won't say anything about Irmo's defense, but I do know that NW's is legit. Like I said in an earlier post, most of the 6 goals NW has conceded have come when the starting defensive lineup is on the bench. So get your facts straight.

One Time!
P
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
P
I did not start this thread saying that NW was a bad team at all I was just stating my opinion that Irmo was a better team. I'm sure NW has a good D but i think that Irmo's is better including goalie and depth.

sG Offline
corner kick
corner kick
I understand that. But what makes you think Irmo's defense is better? Depth in defense doesn't really mean anything. Defenders don't come out in big games, unless there is an injury. NW's goalies are very talented as well. They have the same defense, minus Corey Parks, and same goalie as last year that won the state championship, and beat the same Irmo squad. You cannot say they are better until they beat NW.

One Time!
goal
goal
"northwesterns unskilled and just bad defense"

Please, just stop embarassing yourself now.

goal
goal
These teams are very good but they both have fishes in the nets. It's always the achilles heel for NHS and IHS. Best team in the state this year will come from AAA.

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Really? Like who

C
kick off
kick off
C
I would take those fishes from Irmo and Northwestern over most
keepers in this state at any level.

sG Offline
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

These teams are very good but they both have fishes in the nets. It's always the achilles heel for NHS and IHS. Best team in the state this year will come from AAA.

Lets be realistic...that statement is one hundred percent false.

One Time!
P
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
P
how could a team from AAA be the best at all? Irmo and Nw have almost outscored the top 4 teams in 3A combined. i think that says enough

kick off
kick off
Quote:

how could a team from AAA be the best at all? Irmo and Nw have almost outscored the top 4 teams in 3A combined. i think that says enough

Eastside cleaned Knox West's clock
Knox West cleaned Chapin's clock
Northwestern squeaked by Chapin

D'OH!

sG Offline
corner kick
corner kick
If you were at the chapin game, you would have seen that NW should have won that game by 3 or 4 goals. They only won 2-1 I know, but comparing scores really does not mean anything.

For example:
Argentina beats Venezuela 4-0
Venezuela beats Colombia 2-0
Colombia beats Boliva 2-0
Bolivia beats Argentina 6-1

If you look closely, those scores do not seem to add up. If Argentina beat Venezuela, who beat Colombia, who beat Bolivia, then that means Argentina should of easily taken care of Bolivia right? No, camparison of scores is not an accurate way to rate a teams talent, as these scores show. I understand that this may be the only means of comparison that you have, but it does not make it right. Put NW's or Irmo's talent, player for player, head to head against any other teams, and it would be a landslide. But just because you have talent does not guaruntee victory, as Argentina found out. NW did not play well against Chapin, but still got the win. As long as you get the W, the other stats do not matter unless you are comparing scores, which has been proven, time and time again, as an inaccurate way to predict how other teams would do against eachother.

One Time!
C
bench
bench
C
Quote:

I would take those fishes from Irmo and Northwestern over most
keepers in this state at any level.

alwaysright i agree with you about irmo's keeper. problem is he never really gets tested, so people equate shutouts with a good keeper, instead of a solid d.

haven't seen nw's this year, but cantcoach, are you just saying this, or do you really believe that they are close to tops in the state?

world cup
world cup
Northwestern beats Bolivia.

.......and Argentina!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
kick off
kick off
Quote:

, but comparing scores really does not mean anything.

Sort of my point...
Pinger stated

Quote:

Irmo and Nw have almost outscored the top 4 teams in 3A combined. i think that says enough

Can't use scores to predict matches.

D'OH!

S
bench
bench
S
High School soccer is like any other sport. Anything can happen on a given day. NHS and Irmo are both great squads, but both of them can be beat.

P
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
P
I was using these scores to show the ability of these teams to finish the ball often and most other teams not so much.. not trying to predict any matches

C
kick off
kick off
C
Quote:

alwaysright i agree with you about irmo's keeper. problem is he never really gets tested, so people equate shutouts with a good keeper, instead of a solid d.

haven't seen nw's this year, but cantcoach, are you just saying this, or do you really believe that they are close to tops in the state?

Yes I do believe that. I have more information on the Northwestern's keepers just because I live in the upstate and have seen them play at the club and high school levels but I have seen Irmo's keeper play once or twice and he is better than average. Now Northwestern has a duel threat with their senior/junior combo. Senior started for the best club team in the entire state last fall. The junior played for a club team who had a wreck level defense but still finished 1st in their league because he kept them in every game. So yes I would take them over most in the state.

S
Brace
Brace
S
Irmo's jv keeper plays on the CUFC 93 Boys Premier team, he's pretty good. Bottom line is only 1 keeper can play at a time. There is talent all over both programs. We will just have to cross our fingers and hope they play eachother at state.

R
bench
bench
R
Savitz will continue to play "individuals" on the offensive side of the ball instead of team players. That's why they lost last year to NW. Leaving faster, more proficient, less greedy Seniors on the bench in the playoffs and putting the little "Pele" types out to get the ball stripped from them. Sounds like things haven't changed a bit this season. NW will beat the Acree/Lunceford/Mukofsky buch again, sorry to say.

P
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
P
I'm sorry to say you are wrong Mr. colwell. most of the seniors on the bench from last years team had no where near the touch an did not help the game out anymore than those 3. And this year they will win because they are now bigger ,faster and most of the time smarter on the ball than the team last year.

Last edited by pinger90; 04/13/09 07:41 PM.
kick off
kick off
Hmmmm...
And NW got smaller, slower and dumber since last year.

D'OH!

P
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
P
no doh man they are probably the exact same... but i guess you don't remember Irmo basically dominating them in the semi-final. and NW pullin out some lucky win

sG Offline
corner kick
corner kick
A sign of a champion, Pinger, is that they always find a way to win. It's a little biased to say that Irmo dominated, from what I saw, both teams had numerous chances. Irmo may have possesed the ball a little better but other than that it was a pretty even match. Irmo lost, get over it. Enough talk about last year.

One Time!
goal
goal
A win is a win my friend. High caliber teams find ways to win. Northwestern managed to do that last year in a great game.

sG is right, enough of all this rubbish about last year.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
From what I've seen, Irmo is a much better team this year than last. Don't know if the same can be said for NW. Hope they get to play to settle the score on the field.

Last edited by GSDad; 04/14/09 12:13 AM.
R
bench
bench
R
Quote:

I'm sorry to say you are wrong Mr. colwell. most of the seniors on the bench from last years team had no where near the touch an did not help the game out anymore than those 3. And this year they will win because they are now bigger ,faster and most of the time smarter on the ball than the team last year.

Matt Colwell should have started that game and Savitz knows it. He was faster, stronger and a far superior crosser of the ball than the underclassman who took his place,Period. Nice, classy gesture to a kid who busted his butt for 4 years not to even get on the field. Good move Savitz, but then again you lost.

A
bench
bench
A
ill agree, matt colwell was one of the hardest working players (from my experience) to ever play for irmo. i can guarantee the player that played in front of him could not match matt's work and attitude on the field. there are no few words that can describe what a great coach savitz is in my book but i think if he could go back he may have done it differently. as to irmo rebuilding their dynasty...thats going to take a lot of work from a group of guys that can easily lose focus. but there is no doubt in my mind that irmo can pull off multiple state championships in the near future..ill be there to see them take on northwestern in about a month..best of luck

S
throw in
throw in
S
how can you say that the acree mucufsky and emmitt bunch will lose? your forgetting about the others .. Kyle Mcwean , Taylor Varney , And the new kid edgar i dont see how you can say coldwell is any better than those forwards.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

If you were at the chapin game, you would have seen that NW should have won that game by 3 or 4 goals. They only won 2-1 I know, but comparing scores really does not mean anything.

For example:
Argentina beats Venezuela 4-0
Venezuela beats Colombia 2-0
Colombia beats Boliva 2-0
Bolivia beats Argentina 6-1

If you look closely, those scores do not seem to add up. If Argentina beat Venezuela, who beat Colombia, who beat Bolivia, then that means Argentina should of easily taken care of Bolivia right? No, camparison of scores is not an accurate way to rate a teams talent, as these scores show. I understand that this may be the only means of comparison that you have, but it does not make it right. Put NW's or Irmo's talent, player for player, head to head against any other teams, and it would be a landslide. But just because you have talent does not guaruntee victory, as Argentina found out. NW did not play well against Chapin, but still got the win. As long as you get the W, the other stats do not matter unless you are comparing scores, which has been proven, time and time again, as an inaccurate way to predict how other teams would do against eachother.

the only reason why argetina lost to bolivia is bc Maradona didnt think he needs defenders. the same happened to hugo sanchez vrs the US.

Hugo learned his lesson and is now in Almeria, while Maradona needs to come back to earth, Argentina is loaded but he cannot disrespect the little guys playing with 3 descent defenders in the altitud of La Paz.

Soccer isnt all about having great attacking players and great offensive minded coaches, although they create the winning circle and they are much more enjoyable to watch, but then it comes to...

strategy, psycology, a great defensive strategy can win big games, ask that to greece...there are other parts of the game that are also key to succed.

Look at Madrid for example, they started bringing all this dutch players that never won anything and it all started when the brought barbie beckam in, this players may be good lookin and sell shirts but they suck.

There is a reason why Irmo has won it all, and it will be nice to see them back in track. They looked good tonight, maybe not the best passing team but still really solid everywhere, and Acree, number 7 and 17 are going to be a paint for any defense and I dont think any of them are seniors..

good stuff. oh yeah and Argentina and Maradona may be strong but I dont think they are a thread for Casillas, Puyol, Ramos and Villa.

Club of the century.
P
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
P
7 Taylor Varney is a senior but yea your right also Leo Mukofsky had a good game with 2 goals i believe. Mcewan is also coming off of a knee injury not 100%

C
bench
bench
C
My two cents worth...
The talk of a dynasty now comparative to the stretches of dominance that Irmo has had in the past is nonsense. Is it possible in the next 4-5 years? Yes, but to start talk of that now just seems silly. But to say that this Irmo team is not on the level with some of the other Irmo teams of the past seems almost as silly. They have been absolutely dominant in every game they have played and have numerous kids that have the potential to go and play at division division one soccer programs. For those people who don't think they are on that level, you must just be Irmo alumni who are still living in the past. (NW lovers, I didn't say anything about them Irmo being better so please don't bash me)

On another note, Rob Cowell... I hope for your sake and your son's that you are not actually his father because your argument is ridiculous. I know you love your son and he is in fact a good kid and a hard worker, but to put it politely he has the touch of a rapist. Your son failed to improve from 9th grade on and indeed did not deserve to start that game. For you as no more than a soccer parent to try a take shots at and question the tactics of a coach with half a billion state championships is ludicrous. I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing.

On yet another kind of of topic note, is anyone else amazed/suprised at the discrepancy of talent between the top 2 teams(Irmo+NW) as compared to the other teams in the state, 4A mostly. Irmo has outscored ranked opponents 23-4 (9-4 win over the #4 team) and NW 20-4 (6-1 win over the #6 team). I realize NW has had a few close games, but it is a bit more difficult to score when teams play a 8-1-1 against you. Is this a reflection on how dominant and talented these two teams are or a reflection of down years at other usually competitive schools. In the past going into the playoffs there would be maybe two or three favorites, but 7 or 8 teams with legitimate chances to win a state championship. This year it seems as if its almost entirely a two horse race with maybe a team or two having an outside shot if things go their way entirely.

sG Offline
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

On yet another kind of of topic note, is anyone else amazed/suprised at the discrepancy of talent between the top 2 teams(Irmo+NW) as compared to the other teams in the state, 4A mostly. Irmo has outscored ranked opponents 23-4 (9-4 win over the #4 team) and NW 20-4 (6-1 win over the #6 team). I realize NW has had a few close games, but it is a bit more difficult to score when teams play a 8-1-1 against you. Is this a reflection on how dominant and talented these two teams are or a reflection of down years at other usually competitive schools. In the past going into the playoffs there would be maybe two or three favorites, but 7 or 8 teams with legitimate chances to win a state championship. This year it seems as if its almost entirely a two horse race with maybe a team or two having an outside shot if things go their way entirely.

I think it is a relfection of both scenarios. NW and Irmo both have amazing talent and usual competative schools are having bad years as of late. NW and Irmo have set the bar extremely high. And honestly, I really do not think any other team has a legitimate chance of upseting them in the playoffs. Like you said in years past there were multiple teams that had the chance of playing in the big game. I don't know why this has changed, besides the lack of talent.

Last edited by sG; 04/27/09 02:39 AM.

One Time!
throw in
throw in
Rob Colwell... what makes you the authority on who should be played and who shouldn't? Are you in the SC High School hall of fame? Do you have 500+ wins? Have you won multiple state championships? For you to even question Coach Savitz in his ability to pick the best team to occupy the field is ridiculous. He has had more experience with high caliber teams than anyone in the state. Sorry to say for you, but a players work ethic does play a big role in their playing time for Irmo. If your son was truly that good and worked that hard then Phil wouldn't have passed him up; he knows talent when he sees it. Don't be bitter just because your son didn't make the cut. Savitz is and always has been a class act... he has also produced many quality teams over the years and will continue to do that by picking players not only on their talent, but on their character. Hope you can reflect on your posts and delete them once you find that you are wrong. Oh, and I've seen the "bunch" on the field, they are great individuals who (DO) play as a team. Just watch one of their games and see the ball movement on the field.

S
throw in
throw in
S
good arguements

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
No way. Irmo has no dynasty. I believe they will win it this year and next but after that it will be time for a new team.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard