Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
Boys' US Soccer Development Academy Program

South Carolina United FC is South Carolina’s only US Soccer Development Academy Franchise. Bridge FA’s US Soccer Development Academy franchise will compete under the banner of South Carolina United FC commencing at tryouts and for the 2009-10 seasonal playing year. Tryout information will be announced shortly. Training for these teams will be conducted at various times in Columbia, Charleston, and Orangeburg.

Program Directors:

Clark Brisson- Executive Director
Tripp Miller- Director of Administration
Rob Strickland- Director of Soccer

Coaching Staff for the boys:

USSF “A” licensed coaches

U16 Academy- Clark Brisson, Rob Strickland plus additional trainers

U18 Academy –Rob Strickland, Clark Brisson plus additional trainers

South Carolina United FC’s Elite Girls Showcase Program

Who is the governing body for the South Carolina United Elite Girls Showcase Program?

The South Carolina United FC Elite Girls Showcase Program is an in-house elite player team program that will be conducted and administered under US Club Soccer by South Carolina United FC. The U15, U16 and U17 players selected will be registered as South Carolina United FC players with US Club Soccer on US Club Soccer teams. South Carolina United FC is NOT affiliated in any way with South Carolina Youth Soccer Association and is NOT an organizational member of South Carolina Youth Soccer Association.

What is its purpose?

To provide to the best and most committed female U14-U17 female soccer players in South Carolina a centrally located high quality cost effective supplemental training and college recruiting program which still enables participants to play on their respective SCYSA affiliated teams and high school teams.

How many teams will the Elite Girls Showcase Program roster?

South Carolina United FC will field one (1) team in each of the following age groups: U-15, U-16 and U-17.

Which College Recruiting Showcase Tournaments will Elite Girls Showcase Program Teams attend?

It is anticipated each team will go to (3) of the following events:

Ø July 25-28 Score at the Shore, Greensboro, NC

Ø November 20-22, CASL Girls Showcase, Raleigh, NC

Ø December 27-30, Orange Classic International Girls Soccer Tournament, Miami, FL

Ø December 31-January 3, Disney’s Soccer Showcase (Girls), Orlando, FL

Ø March 2010, Jefferson Cup, Richmond, VA

How many players will be included on an Elite Girls Showcase Program Team Roster?

South Carolina United FC will roster a maximum of 22 players on each of their Elite Girls Showcase Program Team rosters.

How many training sessions are required throughout the year for an Elite Girls Showcase Program?

Each Elite Girls Showcase Program Team will be expected to hold at least six training sessions in the eight weeks immediately preceding each of the three US Club Soccer Showcase tournaments in which its teams participate throughout the year.

What is the duration of the Elite Girls Showcase Program?

The Elite Girls Showcase Program will begin in June and end in March. We anticipate (3) showcase events with Friendlies matches played during the time period of June –March.

How much will an Elite Girls Showcase Program Team be required to travel?

Elite Girls Showcase Program Teams will play three (3) out of state US Club Soccer Showcase Tournaments between June and March, all of which will require overnight travel. Exact travel distances will vary between Tournament and Friendlies venues. Where necessary, travel can involve both air and ground transportation.

When will players be selected for each roster?

South Carolina United FC will soon announce tryout dates for U15, U16 and U17 team formation each of which will begin training in June 2009. Only the most committed and serious players in the U14 – U17 age groups should attend.

Who will select, train and coach the Elite Girls Showcase Program Teams?

The Executive Director, Director of Coaching, the Director of Administration, and their designees, will oversee and conduct all tryouts with Elite Girls Showcase Program trainers, coaches and designees. Once selected and rostered, players will be trained by USSF “A” licensed trainers Clark Brisson and Greg Vallee and coached by designated South Carolina United FC coaches Heather Frederick, Phil Savitz, Jason Birchwood and Jeff Hoerner.

Where will training take place?

Training will take place in the Columbia, Orangeburg and Charleston areas throughout the program season.

Who pays for Showcase Tournament travel and tournament expenses?

Elite Girls Showcase Program players are responsible for all transportation and lodging to all showcase events. Each team member will also be responsible for a portion of tournament entry fees, and coaches per diem associated with each showcase event.

For additional information contact:

Clark Brisson, Tripp Miller, Rob Strickland

(Note: In order to insure complete and accurate answers to questions that anyone may have, it is important that they be directed to one of the above club officials. Things that you read here (aside from this post), or elsewhere, may or may not be accurate, even though you "read it on the internet!")

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Post deleted by Kevin Heise

C
throw in
throw in
C
Post deleted by Kevin Heise

H
brace
brace
H
On the girls side, how can they guarantee they will go to the tournys they have listed. Someone correct me if i am wrong but do you not have to be accepted to them. No guarantee they will be. Just because they have a fancy title it is still South Carolina and that is no sure thing to get in these tournys.
As has happened in the past Disney has only taken the state champ. Not sure about CASL and others but i do know some hard work was taken to get a CESA team into CASL last year.
I do give them credit for including the girls in this merger or formation.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I am sure there are alot of questions that need to be answered..contact information is available for those that want to know but I am not going to bust the chops of someome when it could possibly help our SC girls..Whether we take part or not..I hope this venture is a successful one for all involved..Our SC girls deserve that!!

C
Coach
Coach
C
Yeah...notice it says "It is anticipated" that the girls will go to three of the five listed events...no guarantees offered at all; looks like they're playing the chances that if they try for five they'll get accepted to three, but nothing is concrete, and no mention of adjustments for the "what if" factor.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
And take into account the juggling of the state and region play..Tournaments with your club team and practices with the SC team..Oh yeah!! the friendlies that are scheduled for the SC team..Does not leave alot of room to breathe.

G
bench
bench
G
It would be nice if everyone stopped being so negative and just give the girls the credit they deserve, isn't it about the girls. I think that this new partnership is a great new begining and I'm glad that CUFC and BridgeFA could make it work. That's something that all the teams in the Charleston area should have been able to do. I bet they're all kicking themselves now.

H
brace
brace
H
For the sake of girls in SC i hope it works and works well. I think if this new league ends up being strong and they have bad results it will cut down on the chances of them going to these better tournys. I saw first hand in 2008 how not winning your state and having bad results in your league hurts when you try to get into Disney and CASL.
Between my 2 kids we have been to 3 of the 5 listed. Disney,CASL and Jefferson cup are not going to just take a team unless someone drops out late and they need to fill a spot. I think the orange classic would be pretty doable. Never been to the score at the shore so i am not sure of how hard it is to get into.
I like the fact that it says the girls would still be able to play with their scysa teams but what if both are going to the same tourny

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

It would be nice if everyone stopped being so negative and just give the girls the credit they deserve, isn't it about the girls. I think that this new partnership is a great new begining and I'm glad that CUFC and BridgeFA could make it work. That's something that all the teams in the Charleston area should have been able to do. I bet they're all kicking themselves now.

give what girls credit?
i give whoever is trying to help girls soccer in sc credit.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Goals2go,
I think most will be pulling for this to be successful but at the start of anything new there are going to be questions raised..

M
kick off
kick off
M
My two cents is that this is kinda like "odp" team registed under US CLUB. They may have to play in a couple of tournaments to get establish. I too hope that this program is successful. I guess we can try it and see.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
these girls teams are supposed to compete on more of a national level? what were their results in the regional premier league? how about state cup?

seems illogical and irrational to expect this when you combine the two clubs results and they are not even dominant within their own state.

call it what you want, but there is no two ways to look at results.

oh, and i just love this pep rally thing that is going on here...

H
brace
brace
H
LocDog i will have to agree that it is somewhat of a pep rally. Other clubs would get bashed for taking part in it.
Not sure if SC has enough elite girls that will go play and be competitive unless this league is not up to par. In turn no good tournys

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I don't know if you could call it a pep rally..Maybe wishful thinking..
Loc Dog,
What would you suggest to be the right thing to do?

C
throw in
throw in
C
Go to Greenville of course.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Go to Greenville of course.

Makes more sense

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
That's the answer I thought I would get..So it's back to the my club verses your club mentality..Maybe that's one reason the state has seen limited success for girls

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Hard Headed and Loc Dog, It seems that unless an idea or program comes from a certain part of the state its not good. I do commend the folks in Charleston for going outside their immediate city limits to create a program that would be beneficial to all involved.

H
brace
brace
H
never said it wasnt a good idea. actually said i hope it works.

C
throw in
throw in
C
Quote:

program that would be beneficial to all involved.

It might be wise to revisit that thought after things get going.

C
throw in
throw in
C
Quote:

isn't it about the girls.

See previous post

C
Coach
Coach
C
"Go to Greenville" can't be the only answer to everything.

Again, with great respect to what the folks at CESA are doing, making that the only option is logistically excluding a segment of players who can't commit to that kind of distance--and if the idea is to make SC soccer stronger, it doesn't make sense to start off by excluding players--ANY players--from opportunities.

I know individual players in the Charleston area I would put up against individual CESA players any day of the week, but they cannot or will not make that drive. Now, people can say "If they're really committed, they'd drive, and if they're not, oh, well, who needs them." It might even be convincing, except that all I've been reading here is about how SC soccer is not as successful as surrounding states, small talent pool, etc., etc...it becomes apparent that something is needed.

Seems logical that the way to increase the overall quality of SC soccer is to make sure that there are good opportunities for participation, enjoyment, development, competition, advancement, and exposure at all levels, in all areas of the state. Go at it from that angle, and it wouldn't surprise me much if, over time, this "small talent pool" everyone is always complaining about became significantly larger.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Coach...stop making sense!! The question is SC willing to put the time in now so that down the road good things can happen.For years I have heard..well,we're going to start with the little ones but it seems as if we lose patience and move back to the norm..

C
Coach
Coach
C
Just depends on whether people are looking for the quick fix or the long-term investment...too often the strategy that maximizes what's available at the moment is NOT the one that produces the most results down the road, and can actually have the opposite long-term effect.

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Please tell me if I've got this right. The purpose for SC United FC, for girls, would be for a player to be able to play with a team in 3 of those 6 events listed, events that they presumably would not otherwise be playing in with the SCYSA team they regularly play on. And the SC United FC team would conceivably be made up of players from many different SCYSA club teams, correct? What if some of the players on the SCUFC team that is accepted to a particular tournament, are also on variious SCYSA teams that also are accepted to the same tournament? Or are the SCUFC teams intended mainly for players who are on teams that most likely will NOT be accepted or applying to the mentioned events? From what I'm gathering, a SCUFC team would be for a player on maybe a less successful team that still would like more exposure than their SCYSA team can afford them. Can someone tell me if I'm on the right track to understanding this?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I think this is meant for the committed players and parents no matter what club they play for..I picture it more like an ODP team..There could be a conflict with players playing for their club team at one of the events but maybe that is why they are carrying a roster of 22 to allow for those who can't play..Easy answer? call one of the contacts and run it past them and come back and let us know

world cup
world cup
I support anything (within reason) that promotes the advancement of girls soccer in South Carolina. I also realize that not every exceptional high school (club) girl soccer player aspires to play soccer in college. (See LadyVolDad's post under "College Recruiting".)

Hard headed and live and learn have both asked about the conflict of the SCYSA club team and the SCUFC team going to the same tournament. Very good point.

I ask this...if SCUFC's purpose is to maximize the South Carolina female player's exposure to college coaches, what can the club really provide that is not currently being provided by the CESA Premier team in most age groups? Given that the CESA Premier team is (1) the SCYSA state champ, (2) a participating team in the Region 3 Premier League, and (3) an automatic invitation to the five tournaments cited, why would any of the 16 girls on this roster need to roster on SCUFC?

The competitive advantage that I see for SCUFC, is reducing the travel time, for girls from Charleston and Columbia, to attend competitive training sessions.

Again, not trying to pooh-pooh the idea, just trying to see where it best fits in the grand scheme of South Carolina girls club soccer.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
throw in
throw in
C
Silently thinking of the team that would be formed by combining the better ladies of the CESA Premier team and the better ladies from the rest of the state.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Outside observations only:

Hurst makes a good point in response to HH and L&L's good questions; there would be no need for members of a team that already has guaranteed access to these events to roster with SCUFC; they already have what SCUFC is offering, so that should minimize conflicts with a player being on two teams headed for the same tournament. If I am reading into this correctly, the SCUFC effort is targeted toward players in other areas who might not otherwise get these opportunities, attempting to put more SC girls in the mix than just those rostered with CESA.

As for the competitive edge, the reduced travel time may not just result in less gas money and fewer hours on the road--it may help eliminate the factor of quality players having to choose to participate or not participate based on their ability to make those trips.

world cup
world cup
CU Parent, vision the SCYSA ODP team. Idealistically, that's what your team would (should) look like.

Chass, good observation.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Thinking out loud of the parents and players who would be more willing to commit to competitive soccer at an early age if they didn't feel it would eventually lead them to 7-hour round trips to the practice field or else be considered a waste of time.

H
brace
brace
H
by the name I assumed it would be a state club that would be trying to form the best team possible and not only play but be competetive at a higher level. at least that is what i was hoping as some others on here mentioned that is the odp team or 1 of the top 2 teams in the state at each age for the most part.now it is starting to look more like something for those not on a team that gets to these events that chance.im not sure from some of the arguments that its not just to keep kids in the lower state.why not a training site in greenville and maybe at manchester in rock hill if it is going to carry the sc name?would be nice to keep all the young york county kids from crossing the border.with the reputation sc has only the state champ and runner up have any shot at getting in these tournaments. the way for sc teams to get to the big tourneys and region is to win the state and play region III. why not run this as a new club that wants to combine all the best players to really be competetive at a region and national level and win those spots through the state league? im not sure why a premier player at cesa or anywhere else would want to leave a team that is almost guaranteed a spot at one of these tourneys would want to do this.without all or most of the top players from each age group how would these new teams be able to compete to get into these big tourneys and compete at a region and national level.

C
Coach
Coach
C
HH,

Again, I'm just venturing speculation, but I think the idea is that the players in the areas you mention are already being served by CESA; another showcase team that would attend the same tournaments as CESA would be somewhat redundant in their own backyard. Like you, I can't imagine why a CESA premier player would feel the need to leave their team or even double-roster.

As for the path to the tournaments lying through a state title...well, SOMEONE is going to win state no matter how good or bad the overall quality of soccer here is. Winning state is no indication of ability to compete outside the state if there's no strong competition within the state to make the title meaningful--an empty crown that just says the best we've got all gathered in one place, not how good those "best" really are or how hard they fought to get that title--or how they will react to the pressure of competition with teams of equal measure.

So seriously...why not try to develop more than one competitive team in SC? You say that with SC's reputation, only the top team in the state is deemed "worthy" of these tournaments...so is everyone ok with perpetuating that reputation by creating that "one team" at the expense of all others, or can SC dare to spread out and make competitive soccer available to more players, roll up the collective sleeves and train them (yes, I said "train," not "collect"...that's where the non-easy yet long-run-productive part comes in) and possibly have more than one competitive team in the state? Again, the overwhelming assumption seems to be that South Carolina only one roster's worth of players at each age level who can compete at the regional or tournament level, and the emphasis seems to be on how to gather them together, not how to create more.

Quality attracts quality, drive inspires drive, and commitment draws those of like minds to commit as well...those top-notch players folks seem to want to uproot and collect all in one place might just be the seeds that help grow quality, competitive teams in their own areas of the state, which has the potential to elevate the level of competition across the state.

Higher overall level of competition means the state champ has to work harder to maintain that title, which theoretically means they will be better prepared to face stiff competition from elsewhere.

Seems that's the way to go to change the reputation, but again, I'm speculating...feel free to tell me if I'm talking nonsense.

H
brace
brace
H
coach i never said that the state champ is the only worthy team to play in these higher level tournys. i see all to often the sc state champ not perform well in region play. what i said or meant to say was to get into these tournys from sc you have to be the state champ and maybe the runner up. your resume has to be a little more than just being a new option club to get into these tournys. you ask how hard did they really work to get that title. well bad as it may be usually the state champ and runner up has gone through the bashing known as region play.
in the very first post that started this it was stated the purpose of the girls side of this new club was to be for the best and most competitive players in sc or something to that effect. i do not think all the best are coming so we get into the argument that we have with odp. with this new club not playing in state and not in region im not sure of the competition level they will face and without all the best players im not sure if it will just be another sc team that has a poor showing with college coaches watching.
i do agree with you about the better players wanting to play with better players at the higest level.they want to play with and against the best. with the attempt to better sc girls soccer i wonder if we are not going to water it down more.

C
Coach
Coach
C
I know it's not your personal opinion that only the state champ is worthy of playing in the tournaments; didn't mean to misrepresent that. Apparently, though, you're correct in pointing out that the powers that be seem to perceive it that way.

It sounds to me like what this SCUFC effort is trying to accomplish is to give an opportunity for an all-star team to come together for specific events while still allowing the individual players to stay with their local clubs, which would mean they get to contribute to the growth and success of the "home team" while still getting the opportunity to further their own experience and exposure at a high level. It also means that they can have the chance to combine their resources in playing together, while still getting the value of competition in playing against each other with their SCYSA clubs as well. Maybe it will just be the best non-CESA players, since those players will probably not see a benefit, but I think there are enough quality players at other clubs around the state to put together a pretty decent all-star team.

These advantages, of course, are dependent on the assumption that the SCUFC administration really does intend to allow the players to continue competing with their respective teams and not gradually morph it into leveraging them into all coming to the same SCYSA team as well...but I guess a little faith is required for any progress to take place. Otherwise everyone will just keep chasing their tails in the same argument and going nowhere fast.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Do we have this all figured out before tryouts? Why not make a trip to tryouts and see first hand what's going on and make our assessments then.Most state champs do not play in all the major tourneys..Maybe this team will get into some of them..maybe not..Maybe it will be a supplement for games and friendlies our clubs chose not to do..
As for particular age groups..93 CESA Premier is a beast of a team..No need to do this..The 92 age group has four competitive teams each year at state..BFA Gold..CESA..FC Carolina and CUFC have matches that are one or two goal games. Let's say we take the best five players from each team and form one team.Would this team be stronger than the four club teams? I believe so..If they could get into a premier tourney I think they would show better than the four club teams..Just another way to look at things..
Whatever happens I hope this is a positive move for girls in the state..

H
brace
brace
H
has anyone come up with a total cost for this. they have people in charge so i assume they will get paid from fees or is cufc footing the bill. there has got to be more expenses than just entrance fees and coachs per diem.
will the girls be allowed to participate in odp?

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
cht, excuse me for posing questions on the message board rather than taking them to one of the directors of the new scufc. At this point, I'm more interested in other people's thoughts on the matter than I am in wasting one of the director's time. I think it would be wonderful if this turns out to be a great thing for girls' soccer in SC, but I really don't see how it would work. If you had the 5 best players from all the 4 teams you mentioned above, for instance, then it seems to me it would require a lot of cooperation and collaboration from all involved to not only avoid applying or entering the same events, but to just avoid scheduling conflicts, period. For instance you could rule out Disney and Orange Classic right off the bat because BFA 92 Girls as SC State Champs will already be at Disney and they wouldn't want to play the Orange Classic right before or right after. Players whose teams that have league games (scysa or r3pl) the same weekends as some of the events, etc. Again, not saying I hope it doesn't work or that it is absolutely impossible, just raising questions that pop into my mind upon further thought. Sounds like a logistical nightmare to me. Not to mention, do all or any of these players really want to be playing 3 more events and attend numerous other training sessions (assuming you could get enough players together on any given weekend to make it worthwhile with all the various schedules going on) in addtion to their SCYSA's team schedule of league games, scrimmages, training sessions and tournaments, which I am assuming would be their top priority. My experience with the teams that my daughters have been on, is that the schedule they and their teammates play with their club teams, odp, and high school teams has been plenty. But I'm sure there are some out there that want more.

Please do not think I am hoping this will not work. If it works for those who show up and sign up, that's wonderful - I really have no dog in the fight.But in reading all the information that I've read so far and thinking further about how it could work, I must admit the thought has crossed my mind that maybe this was all done just to make a deal work to merge BFA boys and CUFC boys and then the girls thing was thrown in to give the appearance of creating additional opportunities to the girls as well, whether or not it will actually pan out. Or maybe it's a round about attempt at eventally getting the best coastal girls players together with the best midlands girls players and forming a better scysa team from the 2 areas under cufc,and forget about the scufc thing. Again, I am so ignorant about all the facts, that I very well could be completely mistaken. I have been very impressed with some of the moves CUFC has made (especially linking themselves in with the YMCA) recently and I'm sure they know what they are doing. At any rate, I'm sure they have put a LOT of hard work into putting this all together and I wish them success in growing and raising the level of SC youth soccer. Hopefully, it will work out well and give a bunch of girls more opportunities that they wouldn't have had otherwise.

By the way, cht, you say rather than ask so many questions, just come to the tryout and find out what's going on. I don't think a tryout is where you are going to get answers to your questions about a program. At least I have never found that to be true in any of our experiences.

Last edited by live and learn; 04/11/09 06:47 PM.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Live and learn,
Sounds like you have lived it and learned it..Everything scenario you came up with is true..It's going to take alot of dancing to make it work..As far as the five players from each team..that was just to point out that some age groups could benefit from it..It's not to say that it would happen.
If you are not finding out things at tryouts..Are you asking the right people? Going to tryouts lets you know who is interested and who is not by who shows up..No simple answers..I question people's motives all the time myself but I don't want to throw this thing under the bus before it's had a chance either.
Just trying to be proactive instead of reactive for the girls

O
kick off
kick off
O
Seeing as my post was erased I will ask questions about this post minus those question that could be considered sensitive.

I am very interested in this new program but have some specific questions that need answering before I can fully support:

Specifically about the girls Program for new CUFC-

1. Who is the coaching and training staff for the girls program and their licensing, specifically for Charleston area?

2. What tournaments are you guaranteed entry?

3. You say that it is "cost effective," what is the total cost for everything for what you propose? Itemizing everything would be preferred?

4. What fields in the Charleston area do you have guaranteed for training purposes?

5. Why not assist the ODP and SCYSA in providing this program, or helping them to improve the existing program? Surely all this will do is create confusion for higher level players and fragment the "top level" environment.

6. I see that your season runs into high school season, into March. What does the high school league/coaches think
about this? I know specifically that you have Wandos' coach, Shannon Champ, does she support your plans?

7. Not really important but I am interested to know, how much does it cost to tryout?

Thank you for your assistance in answering my questions and wish you the best of luck and success with your new adventure.

A possible fan

M
kick off
kick off
M
OTF- at the bottom of the initial post was list of people you can contact if you have any questions:

O
kick off
kick off
O
Quote:

OTF- at the bottom of the initial post was list of people you can contact if you have any questions:

Thanks, I saw that. However, it doesn't list how to contact them. I assumed they wish for public responses to their advertisement as they don't list a direct way to contact any of them. Maybe they would prefer for people respond to their advertisement publicly and save them having to deal with loads of individual ones.
Does anyone have Tripp Miller or Rob Strickland's email address's?

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, I saw that. However, it doesn't list how to contact them. I assumed they wish for public responses to their advertisement as they don't list a direct way to contact any of them. Maybe they would prefer for people respond to their advertisement publicly and save them having to deal with loads of individual ones.
Does anyone have Tripp Miller or Rob Strickland's email address's?

Your comment, "it doesn't list how to contact them", is inaccurate........if I saw the information, then chances are you read it as well. The information posted earlier had an address, phone number and fax number listed to contact Clark Brisson directly. Either you did not read it completely or overlooked this information. Here is his cell phone: (843) 270-0596.

This is starting to get old......Why don't you do everyone a favor and call HIM to get your answers, versus now trying to get email addresses for Mr. Miller and Mr. Strickland. If you are TRULY that interested in getting your answers versus stirring the pot, pick up the phone and call him today. If others are interested in getting more information, they can contact him directly as well.

O
kick off
kick off
O
Sorry for irritating you. I did not see the contact information you are referring too, my apologies. I will find a way to contact the other two gentlemen but have no intention or wish of dealing with the person you are directing me to.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T

Tony King
C
throw in
throw in
C
I think the responses that we are receiving on this subject are typical and to be expected but are very warranted from all perspectives. I also think the deletion of certain posts and the way that they were leaning is also very telling.
Anything that is started on this forum is some form of advertisement. Either in the posters beliefs or their need for the reader to do something. The OP basically cut and pasted an e-mail that was sent to the current BFA mailing list. An advertisement to join a new program.
Then they added a statement to the end in reference to the post that this was the only truth that you would read and the rest of the truth could only be attained by talking with 3 individuals involved with the new program.
On this forum their are many smart and knowledgeable posters that have experience on this subject and with the persons and clubs involved. If advertisement without challenge was what was meant then I would suggest an add in the paper or Southern Soccer Scene.

Since it has been put in the public domain and has been promoted as the truth without question than it is very fair game for anyone whom has questions to the post. It would also be a lot easier for the club to view this as Frequently Asked Questions in which they could reach as many people as possible just like posting on SCSOCCER to reach as many people as possible.

I would like to reiterate a point that has been made by many, ANYTHING THAT PROMOTES WOMENS SOCCER IS A GOOD THING.
But, and there always is a but.
ANYTHING THING THAT PROMISES SOMETHING AND DOES NOT DELIVER IS MUCH, MUCH, WORSE.

I do feel it is the responsibility of every parent to investigate the claims made any club they are thinking of joining.
Do the certifications that are claimed by the coaches match what is on file at USSOCCER?.
Do they have the financial backing to perform what is promised?.
How many fields have they purchased in the past for the benefit of the players or have they lined thEIr pockets with training fees instead?.
Do they have any outstanding debt to anyone for field rentals?
What is their past track record at past clubs they have been involved with in the past?
Are those programs flourishing or do they look like graveyards?
What has been the turnover ratios among players for their past teams?
What is the number of male vs female teams in past programs?

These are only a few of the questions I could think of at this time. I feel it is very wrong to assume some one who asks other than fluff questions is trying to tear down a particular program. If more people would have asked questions of Madoff instead of just looking at what they were greedily getting for themselves they might be a little better off today.

Again,
ANYTHING THAT PROMOTES WOMENS SOCCER IS A GOOD THING

goal
goal

if i were looking to become part owner in a new soccer club, i might care about some of the items you mention, but, because i don't, i'm being greedy?

personally, i give very little credence to anyone who registers on this forum, and then immediately starts attacking someone/something. Let's see...you've made four posts, one of which has already been deleted by Mr. Heise...great track record yourself.

regarding your statement "I also think the deletion of certain posts and the way that they were leaning is also very telling..." I have never had an individual post deleted (so far) - and i feel fairly certain i have pushed the envelope on more than one occasion - so, for Mr. Heise to feel the need to do so....that tells me the poster just went too far. are you suggesting some sort of collusion between Mr. Heise and the club/persons you signed up to attack?

do you seriously think that because you throw around a couple "ANYTHING THAT PROMOTES WOMENS SOCCER IS A GOOD THING," people do not see your true purpose here? you are not trying to help anyone or anything but your own negative agenda.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Have to agree with Belli.
Alot of the questions you ask..it seems like you think you might already have the answers too..You just want someone to confirm them. Those could be answered with a phone call also.

R
kick off
kick off
R
Rob Strickland Contact info 803 530 5554.

C
throw in
throw in
C
When it comes to the welfare of my child I will be very greedy. Sorry have seen to many promises to not. I feel I kind of owe it to them. Like I said these were things that just came to mind and not a complete list and I am sure by tomorrow I could triple the number of questions. Of course I have not even begun to add the ones from the BOSS.

I think you are getting a little of what I am trying to say.
It's like buying a car. Do you want to talk to the salesperson or would you rather talk to the previous owner. I would rather talk to the previous owner and find out if the car ever stranded the owner, would not start, had any major repairs, etc. I think the salesman is thinking a little more about his commission rather than what is best for me. That is why I choose to speak to previous players, board members, co-workers and not what is given verbatim.

That is ironic that you feel my statement that, ANYTHING THAT PROMOTES WOMENS SOCCER IS A GOOD THING, is insincere since you do not know me. Do you take the OP as sincere because you know them or because they posted first. I have 4
posts and 1 is deleted, I tried to play off Loc Dog's comment as sarcasm, just as I replied sarcastically of GO TO GREENVILLE on another.

When can I question a post? After a month?, year?, when it agrees with your point? I may have gone too far questioning the deletions and I apologize. I saw 3 deleted that had negative leaning toward BFA, I hope you and Mr. Heise can forgive me.

The main point of my post is that every keeps saying to ask the salesman and when a previous customer makes a statement he is attacked for ruining womens soccer or is against girls or something outlandish like that. Very good questions have been asked. Some are confrontational, some are not, but that does not make it valid or invalid.
If the questions cannot be answered in public then I would be very wary.

I am sorry if the questions offended you or were received as negative. I think all the questions that have been raised need to be answered so that parents can make an informed decision.

Again,

ANYTHING THAT PROMOTES WOMENS SOCCER IS A GOOD THING

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I guess my child would be considered as a previous customer.If you want to pm me and ask questions I will answer what I can..I can't say that I agree with everything that has been done in the past but I can say that my child probably would have not realized what it's like to win two state championships without the club's insight.

goal
goal

you aren’t even paying attention to your own posts. you called other people greedy. quote: "If more people would have asked questions of Madoff instead of just looking at what they were greedily getting for themselves they might be a little better off today."

you can question anything you like, whenever you like. but if you come on here in attack and destroy mode, plan to take some flak.

i’ve seen enough lawyer shows (yes, that makes me an expert) to know that your questions are LEADING. quote: "Are those programs flourishing or do they look like graveyards?" are you serious? you are obviously trying to say something here. just SAY it.

quote: "Do they have any outstanding debt to anyone for field rentals?" is being debt-free a prerequisite for your child to play for someone? good luck with that one.

PLEASE do not apologize to me. i cannot speak for Mr. Heise, though.

you say you'd rather talk to the previous owner (instead of the salesman), but…wait…it appears that YOU are the previous owner. so, if YOU are the previous owner, you already have all the answers, right? me? typically, i like to talk to everyone involved – but, only the person who is the current owner/manager (whatever word you like to use) can tell you certain things – talk to them directly.

if you are SERIOUS about wanting to talk to previous owners about whether their "car ever stranded the owner, would not start, had any major repairs, etc.," please feel free to PM me and i (like cht) will be more than happy to share my experiences.

and, yes, your "questions" were received as negative, but one thing you do not have to be concerned about is offending me.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
I am no 'expert' which I guess allows me the right to ruffle some feathers ...

Belli, whilst you may think the questions are 'leading', I find them rather relevant. This forum dissects so many different programs and opportunities, I don't see why this should be exempt.

I wish someone could give a good explanation as to why these posts are being deleted?? I have seen far worse, and more importantly, completely false information go unchallenged. Have the posts been inaccurate?

I guess the meeting on Thursday will provide an answer to my question ...

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
"What is their track record at past clubs they have been involved with in the past" I can see this as relevant but " Are those programs flourishing or do they look like graveyards" Is not relevant and sounds more like someone's opinion of a local club that has chosen to keep it local.

C
Coach
Coach
C
These questions have read not so much like requests for information, but rather attempts to publicly call people out based on information that the "questioners" seem to imply that they already know. Not claiming to be inside anyone's head--just stating how it sounds to an outside reader. The combination of card-stacking on issues that may or may not directly affect the success of this particular endeavor, plus the insistence on public speculation rather than contacting those who know directly, only support this impression.

Something that seems like an attack is naturally going to prompt a defensive stance; can't blame anyone for not wanting to get drawn into what seems like a public assault. I have a feeling those who are heading an effort to truly benefit the players in this state would be happy to answer any objective, relevant questions of policy or procedure, either personally or publicly.

C
Coach
Coach
C
CHT,

I can't really see someone using a loaded image like "or do they look like graveyards" unless they already have a preconceived notion of the answer that they wish to imprint on the public consciousness. It's an example of an either/or argument where neither extreme may be accurate, but there is no room allowed for anything in between, so the reader is expected to choose the less inaccurate at the expense of arriving at the actual picture. It may be considered as relevant, but only if you attribute the causality of numbers in the program to the individuals, not the nature of the program itself or environmental factors, which may or may not involve a false premise.

We could go on to talk about ad hominem arguments, but I don't want to burn myself out tonight...gotta save some to teach that AP Rhetoric and Composition class in the morning.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Thanks!! My head was starting to spin out of control..

goal
goal
thanks coach, i agree completely (especially the part where you seem to be agreeing with what i said).
and i honestly believe you to be a pretty objective observer here.

an example of a leading question: CUnitedParent, have you been this hateful/spiteful since you were a child, or were you born that way?
(i kept that as nice as i could at the moment)

C
throw in
throw in
C
Bellignorant,

An example of a leading question would be: CUnitedParent, Have you been this hateful/spiteful since you were a child, or did you grow to become that way?.
(Sorry you are having a moment)

goal
goal
nah. i like my version better. i do appreciate your thoughtfulness, though.

i guess i was right on the other, also - you don't have any interest in talking to either the salesman or the previous owner - you just want to throw eggs at the car as it goes by...

C
throw in
throw in
C
Close,
I am too old and lazy to throw eggs.
I would much rather just sit back and watch the look on the persons face that bought the lemon after it breaks down. Especially while they are sipping on their Kool Aid.

goal
goal
RECCOS,

I am asking you in all sincerity to please explain to me the relevance of the following questions you deem to be so important.

"Do the certifications that are claimed by the coaches match what is on file at USSOCCER?"
Ya know, I'll actually give you this one, BUT, please tell me how many times you have asked this question and/or investigated this with other coaches in the past?

"Do they have the financial backing to perform what is promised?"
do you ask for financial records of every company you do business with? i'm not talking about someone you invest money with - i'm talking, when you go to get your hair cut, do you ask the barber what kind of shape he/she is in, financially? last time you signed on with your local telephone carrier (or mobile phone provider, internet provider, etc) did you check out their financials prior to doing so?

"How many fields have they purchased in the past for the benefit of the players or have they lined their pockets with training fees instead?"
you seriously do not believe cunitedparent was making a statement with this one? that "question" seems to be implying that if fields are not PURCHASED, then somebody is purely lining their pockets with fees. not everyone out there can afford to purchase property AND all it takes to get it in shape for playing. maybe i'm just being naive, but training fees to me means that i am paying a fee for training. does mt pleasant soccer club own its fields? does summerville soccer club own its fields? is there a profit involved with training fees? uh, yeah, i'm thinking so. if you know of any trainer who is donating their training fees to charity, please let us all know. i imagine that list is rather small.

"Do they have any outstanding debt to anyone for field rentals?"
again, cunitedparent either knows or thinks he knows something, but who cares? you hire a money manager to coach your child, i'll hire a good trainer. would i prefer my child's trainer to be good with money? sure. but, if i had to choose between the two, i'll take the better trainer and hope the other works out.

"What is their past track record at past clubs they have been involved with in the past?"
what does this even mean? very subjective - again, cunitedparent is obviously trying to say something. give me an example - pick the trainer of your choice and answer that.

"Are those programs flourishing or do they look like graveyards?"
i'll ask again, do you seriously not believe that cunitedparent was making a statement with this one? how can that even be answered? whatever "graveyard" cunitedparent is talking about, he apparently is placing the blame for it on one single person's shoulders. to do so is just plain ridiculous.

"What has been the turnover ratios among players for their past teams?"
does ANY club in the state keep track of something like that?

"What is the number of male vs female teams in past programs?"
again, what is the point here?

so, maybe you've just never thought of these questions before...now that you have, will you go back to the club of your choice and ask them?

goal
goal

cunitedparent, it looks like you'd rather hide behind the bushes and shoot at the car with your rifle (shoot at the salesman and previous owner, too)

using your example...let's say i have owned this car for, oh, about six or seven years now. it runs fine, gets me where i want to go, never left me on the side of the road, never had any serious issues with it. but, all of a sudden, somebody tells me it's a piece of junk, so i should go quickly to the nearest cliff and push it over the side?

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Belli, I am glad you asked ...

Quote:

"Do the certifications that are claimed by the coaches match what is on file at USSOCCER?"
Ya know, I'll actually give you this one, BUT, please tell me how many times you have asked this question and/or investigated this with other coaches in the past?

I have actually suggested to SCYS Board Members that this information be available on the SCYS website.

Quote:

Do they have the financial backing to perform what is promised?"
do you ask for financial records of every company you do business with? i'm not talking about someone you invest money with - i'm talking, when you go to get your hair cut, do you ask the barber what kind of shape he/she is in, financially? last time you signed on with your local telephone carrier (or mobile phone provider, internet provider, etc) did you check out their financials prior to doing so?

Financial records, or rather the lack of finances, was the reason the last discussion I was involved in re: a merger of 2 soccer organizations in this State came to a screeching halt!

Quote:

"Do they have any outstanding debt to anyone for field rentals?"
again, cunitedparent either knows or thinks he knows something, but who cares? you hire a money manager to coach your child, i'll hire a good trainer. would i prefer my child's trainer to be good with money? sure. but, if i had to choose between the two, i'll take the better trainer and hope the other works out.

See answer above.

Quote:

"What is their past track record at past clubs they have been involved with in the past?"
what does this even mean? very subjective - again, cunitedparent is obviously trying to say something. give me an example - pick the trainer of your choice and answer that.

Seriously? A track record is not relevant? Very interesting.

Quote:

"Are those programs flourishing or do they look like graveyards?"
i'll ask again, do you seriously not believe that cunitedparent was making a statement with this one? how can that even be answered? whatever "graveyard" cunitedparent is talking about, he apparently is placing the blame for it on one single person's shoulders. to do so is just plain ridiculous.

You are assuming everyone knows as much as you and CU do. If one was not in the know I would assume he / she was discussing Clubs, not individuals. In fact, I would go as far as to state that through your 'defense' you have made it 'individual' in nature.

Quote:

"What has been the turnover ratios among players for their past teams?"
does ANY club in the state keep track of something like that?

My club does. And we are rather proud of our record! It states we are doing something right!!

Quote:

"What is the number of male vs female teams in past programs?"
again, what is the point here?

I have answered all your questions. I don't even want to answer this one, as you know the answer already!

Have a great day!

C
throw in
throw in
C
No shooting please.
Remember the pen is mightier than the sword.

If it was a mechanic with knowledge of your vehicle I would listen and make an informed decision based on the information I collected. If it was an afficianado of the type of car I drove I would do the same. If it was some one I had no idea of I would still listen and then maybe do a little digging to see if what they said could be true and then make an informed decision. I think I would be a little reckless if I did not check the facts before allowing a loved one to ride in the vehicle.
Don't push it over the side you can fix almost anything.

goal
goal
wow, reccos, reading comprehension is not a strong point. no, i didn't ask how many suggestions you've made to SCYSA – i asked how many times have you asked this question and/or investigated this with other coaches in the past?

second question – nope, you didn't answer that one, either.

ok, third, not really a question.

fourth – nope, again, you didn't answer.

fifth – nope.

sixth – yea! you answered one!

seventh – oh, well...

goal
goal
CUnitedParent, you've got a strange way of trying to fix things.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Belligerent

"if you know of any trainer who is donating their training fees to charity, please let us all know. i imagine that list is rather small."

you'd be suprised what you get when you ask and your mission is sincere, and the trainer has a love for the game.

Ok, we might not have the best trainers in the world (or we might) but we did get commitment from a number without cost.

Totally off topic but couldn't resist. There are still a few idealists around.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
throw in
throw in
WOW!

goal
goal
hey do3, that's the most positive thing i've yet to see on this thread!

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Quote:

hey do3, that's the most positive thing i've yet to see on this thread!

Belli, that is the most intelligent post you have shared with us in this thread!

I will now leave you to rant and rave.

goal
goal
reccos, thanks!

it's amazing how you and cunitedparent want the "hard" questions answered, but are so unwilling to answer the "simple" ones.

and i return the same compliment to you!

O
kick off
kick off
O
I didn't think most of my questions were hard to answer and relevant to what is being proposed. Maybe one of two might be a little tough.

"Specifically about the girls Program for new CUFC:

1. Who is the coaching and training staff for the girls program and their licensing, specifically for Charleston area?

2. What tournaments are you guaranteed entry?

3. You say that it is "cost effective," what is the total cost for everything for what you propose? Itemizing everything would be preferred?

4. What fields in the Charleston area do you have guaranteed for training purposes?

5. Why not assist the ODP and SCYSA in providing this program, or helping them to improve the existing program? Surely all this will do is create confusion for higher level players and fragment the "top level" environment.

6. I see that your season runs into high school season, into March. What does the high school league/coaches think
about this? I know specifically that Bridge has coaching for them Wandos' coach, Shannon Champ, does she support your plans?

7. Not really important but I am interested to know, how much does it cost to tryout?

Thank you for your assistance in answering my questions and wish you the best of luck and success with your new adventure.

A possible fan" but slowly being deterred by "belligerent."

C
throw in
throw in
C
This is a simple question that is from the original press release and presented as the truth.
Three trainers were listed as A licensed.
This was not from anyone disgruntled but from the OP as come train us we are A licensed. They understand the importance of what the license means or it would have not been included in the advertisement.
Now here comes a simple question and it is directed to Rob Strickland. I ask it here as it was posted here and I think others are interested in the answer.

Could anyone at Carolina United FC present current documentation that the certifications of its trainers as advertised in their own press release be presented on demand?.

hat-trick
hat-trick
It appears that the issue here is maintaining or renewing the USSF A Coaching License.

"It is a U.S. Soccer policy that all coaches currently holding a National “A” License must accumulate eight (8) credits within every four-year cycle in order to maintain the status of their National “A” License."

I believe the question is: Should a coach who held an A license, but did not complete the CE credits, be listed as an A licensed coach? Is that your issue?

C
throw in
throw in
C
It is not an issue.
When someone holds an National A license and does not complete continuing education credits then the license reverts to a National B license not an A license with an asterisk.

hat-trick
hat-trick
My question was "Is that your issue (or complaint) with the credentials listed in the news release?"

C
throw in
throw in
C
Yes,
I want to know if what was advertised is truthful.
No spin, no what if's, no after I take more credits.
Either it was important enough to maintain as it is to promote or it is not.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
CUnitedParent,

You can simply pick up the phone and call anyone of these people you have questions about if it's that important to you. Better yet, why not use your real name as you're questioning other people credentials. Reading some of your comments what is your issue? How is this affecting you directly?

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
good to see that this conversation is getting somewhere.

C
throw in
throw in
C
In the first 13 lines it was promoted 2 times that "A" licensed training was going to be offered for players. 3 times total in the press release. I did not write it nor did I proclaim to be anything other than an interested anonymous poster like yourself. Others have asked questions and have been stonewalled. I am asking one simple question like your other Kool Aid drinkers have requested. A simple answer to a simple question. Answer the question with the information you have and let the readers decide what it means.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Just curious...do you have any reason to suspect that anyone would falsify or misrepresent their advertised certification, or is it normal to ask anyone and everyone for verification of their status?

(Not trying to be a jerk; there just seems to be more here than meets the eye.)

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I would think since SCYSA requires a license and SCYSA requires the clubs to provide proof, then SCYSA polices the requirement (at least verifies if one exists). So if you are not content in the statement of the announcement then I suggest you contact SCYSA. After all reading your inqury tells me you would not believe the answer coming from the horses mouth or anyone else on this board or elsewhere.

Once you get the skinny then come back and tell us all your finding.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

I think CUP already has the skinny but just wants the SCUFC contacts to say it.

C
throw in
throw in
C
I saw it asked on this thread as a question that was deleted so I PM'd a couple of people and asked questions.
The deletion is what really raised my curiosity. I asked this one because the group of questions seem to be piling on so I went with the first bullet point of the press release. I thought it would be easier to start from the beginning but looks like I am wrong.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Here's a thought..Because you have issues that you can't get addressed..Don't take part and watch from a far for a year and maybe those issues would be resolved for you over the course of the first year or if it's a bust..then you didn't waste your time and efforts..

S
goal
goal
S
Dang, im still trying to find a couple players in SC with some ability and flair to build my club around. So far looks like Ms Robinson (India) is the only one. Seriously folks, clubs in the Cola and Gvl area already providing the training and have facilities, its time for the players to pick it up and do much much more.

throw in
throw in
Quote:

In the first 13 lines it was promoted 2 times that "A" licensed training was going to be offered for players. 3 times total in the press release. I did not write it nor did I proclaim to be anything other than an interested anonymous poster like yourself. Others have asked questions and have been stonewalled. I am asking one simple question like your other Kool Aid drinkers have requested. A simple answer to a simple question. Answer the question with the information you have and let the readers decide what it means.

(Not an attack on Cunitedparent and with all due respect to the coaching certification process),Just wondering what makes one think that "exclusively" using "A" certified coaches is "it"? Any mind games here? How many times have we seen "A" certified coaches do a gazillion times worse than non licensed coaches? Overall,program plan sounds interesting but please scrap the licensure crap off the program because ultimately we are only fooling ourselves with all that "lettering". Put or get the game where it needs to be.

throw in
throw in
Quote:

Just curious...do you have any reason to suspect that anyone would falsify or misrepresent their advertised certification, or is it normal to ask anyone and everyone for verification of their status?

Good question?

Quote:

Even better observation.

throw in
throw in
Quote:

I would think since SCYSA requires a license and SCYSA requires the clubs to provide proof, then SCYSA polices the requirement (at least verifies if one exists). So if you are not content in the statement of the announcement then I suggest you contact SCYSA. After all reading your inqury tells me you would not believe the answer coming from the horses mouth or anyone else on this board or elsewhere.

Just out of curiosity,Do you have any kids playing right now?

Last edited by SCKicker; 04/16/09 05:27 AM.
throw in
throw in
Quote:

Here's a thought..Because you have issues that you can't get addressed..Don't take part and watch from a far for a year and maybe those issues would be resolved for you over the course of the first year or if it's a bust..then you didn't waste your time and efforts..

Good point above. Also,simply stated,they say "East or West,Home is best",why head to Columbia when we need a TON of help in low country / Charleston? One can run their mouth about how merging in Charleston has not been possible due to point a,b,c and z..bottomline is effort in whomever is responsible for that type of discussion has not been genuine enough and even more absurd,not quite in the "kids interest" as the "mission statements" or various "slogans" state. Exhaust your options guys. Some of this stuff sounds rather strange.

O
kick off
kick off
O
(Not an attack on Cunitedparent and with all due respect to the coaching certification process),Just wondering what makes one think that "exclusively" using "A" certified coaches is "it"? Any mind games here? How many times have we seen "A" certified coaches do a gazillion times worse than non licensed coaches? Overall,program plan sounds interesting but please scrap the licensure crap off the program because ultimately we are only fooling ourselves with all that "lettering". Put or get the game where it needs to be.

I think until one has taken the course/s it unfair to make too critical a comment. I agree that licensing does not make a great coach but I think you will find that it does make a better one.
A large part of the problem is that people don't understand what the licensing actually entails. The A and B licenses are really designed for coaching the much older players, adults and professionals.
A lot of professional/college players go into coaching, and for some unknown reason to me, can get exempted straight to the higher licensing. Why they are allowed to skip the introductory, youth level, of licensing and then be thought of as an "expert" for coaching youth players is a little confusing, to me. The courses are designed to be age appropriate and help coaches understand how children think, learn, and teach appropriate methods of teaching for those ages. In school, just because you speak English doesn't mean you understand how to teach it. On the other hand just because you haven't been taught methods of teaching doesn't mean you wouldn't be a good teacher. However, if you are a good teacher understanding methods of how to teach would/should make you better.

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
This whole discussion looks more like somebody throwing mud. Not sure what the motive is but I think anyone who has been around SC club soccer long enough can figure it out. It smells like it may be coming from the upstate. 'nuff said!!!!!

goal
goal
onthefence, have you taken the course? i have taken the course and obtained the ussf d license, and i do believe that some people should be able to exempt at least some levels (as i am only vaguely familiar with what it takes to get the c license and above, i cannot speak for any of those levels)

as an example (and not trying to drag this person into anything, because i don't know him personally, but i believe most people on this board at least know the name) if paul conway were to have finished his professional career tomorrow, i believe he should be able to exempt at least straight to a c license.

based on the material that was covered in the d course i took, i do not believe mr conway could have reached the level he has in soccer without knowing that information so well that he could teach the course this weekend.

even a person who may have "only" played four years of college soccer should know that material like the back of their hands. i have serious doubts that anyone could play four years of college soccer and then see or hear something in that course they didn't already know.

goal
goal
onthefence... also, since no one seems to be helping you satisfactorily, i will try by answering at least one of your questions (i already saw it posted somewhere else in here, but i can't find it right now)

the answer to your question #2 above is: ZERO.

according to the original post in this thread, "It is anticipated each team will go to (3) of the following events:"

(the key word being anticipate)

throw in
throw in
Quote:

I think until one has taken the course/s it unfair to make too critical a comment. I agree that licensing does not make a great coach but I think you will find that it does make a better one.
A large part of the problem is that people don't understand what the licensing actually entails. The A and B licenses are really designed for coaching the much older players, adults and professionals.
A lot of professional/college players go into coaching, and for some unknown reason to me, can get exempted straight to the higher licensing. Why they are allowed to skip the introductory, youth level, of licensing and then be thought of as an "expert" for coaching youth players is a little confusing, to me. The courses are designed to be age appropriate and help coaches understand how children think, learn, and teach appropriate methods of teaching for those ages. In school, just because you speak English doesn't mean you understand how to teach it. On the other hand just because you haven't been taught methods of teaching doesn't mean you wouldn't be a good teacher. However, if you are a good teacher understanding methods of how to teach would/should make you better.

onthefence ,Great thesis and well put. I am licensed and All the reasons for licensing are..i should say well cut out. Only reason for alarm is the "exclusive" statement mentioning "A" licensed coaches. Maybe it is meant to attract or maintain numbers who knows Main point really is that there are alot of coaches out there that are not specifically "A" licensed but will work wonders in a players development alot better than a good number of "A" licensed coaches. All said and done, same old stuff only different wording.Hopefully this time this one works out.

O
kick off
kick off
O
I am highly licensed all the way through to the Advanced National with NSCAA and all the way through to a B with USSF plus hold a variety of foreign licenses, including a National Youth with the USYSA. Not coaching at present.

It appears, I have found, that whoever you take the D with changes the impact of the course and the depth as with most courses. I have not heard any complaints with NSCAA courses.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
SCKICKER... I assume you meant the kid playing question to me.... yes I have one

goal
goal
onthefence, i'm not sure if you took my post as complaining about the course i took or not (and that might actually be irrelevant to your argument) but the d level course i took was excellent (and yes, i believe the instructor was the reason). i learned a lot of good stuff, as did the many other participants i spoke with about it (of course, none of us made it quite to the pro level)

but whether that instructor went over ALL the material or not, i went through the entire course book, and i contend that (using my prior example) if van taylor (scysa director of coaching and education) gave a written and oral exam (for the ussf d license) to someone who has just retired from playing professional soccer, that person, based on the knowledge i am thinking they must possess in order to play at that level, and on their years of experience, should be able to pass that test with flying colors.

maybe i just missed something in the book. which part, or parts, do you think a person at that level might have trouble with?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
In all the years that my kids have played soccer we have never asked the coaches what licenses they held and they did just fine..Were we missing something?

corner kick
corner kick
Growing up, we never really cared as long as you were allowed to coach. The question was whether s/he was a good coach, not how many classes s/he had attended and passed. In fact, I think the best coach I ever had was only in possession of a "C" License.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
C
throw in
throw in
C
Yes, The Point!!!!

The point is not whether a licensed coach will offer better training than an unlicensed coach which is a debate for another thread.

The point is that a National "A" License is something to be proud of and shows a certain level of achievement, dedication, and status. It is so much so that it requires continuing education to maintain. A lot has changed in the last couple of years especially since 2002.

The point is that if you are promoting the quality and expertise of the program using "A" as an example of how high the level of your training goes but that is not true or cannot be substantiated then that is fraud.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
So you don't have a problem with the program..You just have a problem with someone saying they have an A license and can't back it up? Or you know they don't have an A license and you want someone to come clean? And why the paricular year of 2002?..Don't play poker!! You are showing your hand

Last edited by coldhardtruth; 04/16/09 09:07 PM.
corner kick
corner kick
I didn't realise license 'lying' was such a lucrative and widespread problem. Course, 90+% of the soccer community I know doesn't really care what license their coaches have anyway, so I spose we wouldn't notice it so long as the coach is good anyway.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
S
goal
goal
S
This thread has gone absolutely no where!

Why don't you call the police and file a complaint if you consider this to be fraud. Otherwise stop spouting this dribble.

Personally I would like to get some true debate/information/insight on the pros and cons of this new club and approach to club soccer. However, we keep getting pulled into this political innuendo crap from CUnitedParent.

B
goal
goal
B
Points to debate:

Girls

First, it's been said that anything that is done to promote girls soccer is a good thing. I don't know if that's necessarily the case.

Bridge FA was first established using US Club Soccer to gain excitement and support for the concept of pulling the top players together in the low country. However, it was always intended to move that group into a SCYSA organizaton. Anyone care to speculate if and/or how long it will take to put this group in SCYSA, for the year around "development" of the players?

Boys (lost in all of the excitement about anything promoting girls soccer)

With Rob Strickland moving to train/coach the U18 Academy group, anyone care to speculate what will happen to the CUFC 91 Elite, arguably one of the best teams in SC history?

Organizational Construct in General

Anyone care to speculate/explain how the partnership, wherein a financial partnership is entered between 2 clubs, from different districts, for the use of licensing and branding is different than the ruling the SCYSA made with the CESA - CRSA partnership a few years ago?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
As far as the girls team moving into the SCYSA..I don't see this happening..Well, let's say I don't see this happening if the players are expected to travel two or three days a week between clubs..I could be wrong but if the older age groups were willing to travel it would of already happened..

B
goal
goal
B
Not necessarily. The boys in the lowcountry weren't willing to travel, just across town, until there was something new, a new organization, and some excitement was gained.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Did'nt the boys teams practice primarily in the lowcountry? Or should I say a majority of their practices were here? Now we are talking three hour round trips between clubs for the girls

world cup
world cup
I just spent the last two days working in Charleston, Mt. Pleasant, James Island, West Ashley, Goose Creek, Moncks Corner and Summerville. My hotel was near the airport, by the Tanger Outlet Mall.

Sure there was a little traffic going certain directions during drive time, but nothing serious. I don't understand why the best girls soccer players from these communities can't come together and represent one competitive club? If these girls are now willing to make the drive to Columbia (CUFC) or Greenville (CESA), why couldn't they make the drive to a central location in the Low Country (Charleston Southern)?

I don't know what went wrong with Bridge and I'm not asking anybody to tell the story again.......but it sounds like the original idea had merit.

Why can't we all just get along?

C
Coach
Coach
C
Hurst,

You came right into my back yard and didn't say hello? I'm hurt. I would have invited you out to kick the ball around with the team for some afternoon diversion.

Funny thing is, we have players who drive from West Ashley to Mt. Pleasant, others who drive from Mt. Pleasant to West Ashley, others either to or from James Island from either or both of the above, etc., so I guess the willingness to drive within the Lowcountry isn't the root of the problem.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Hurst,
Can't speak for every age group but I would say the 92s and 93s are some of the strongest players in the area..There might be one here or there that are not on these teams but for the most part the stronger players are on these teams..It worked in some age groups but not as much in others..

world cup
world cup
cht,
Good to hear that. My youngest daughter is a 93 and I'm glad that age group is doing well.

chass,
Saw the signs for Stratford, saw the signs for Goose Creek, drove right past "Old Wando"....didn't see Berkeley. I'll take a rain check. Some of North Charleston's karaoke establishments can get a little rough. Cops showed up to break up the bar fight (was I that bad?).

C
Coach
Coach
C
We're right in the heart of Moncks Corner--sorry you missed us!

And if you went to a karaoke establishment in North Charleston...well, you're braver than I am, my friend! Tell me the name of the place and I'll tell you just how lucky you were to walk out in one piece.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Gotta get off at the Summerville exit and head north on 17-A to find Moncks Corner..better known as Chass Country

world cup
world cup
I was in the CVS, Food Lion, Bi-Lo, Walgreens and Walmart in Moncks Corner. Then I drove to the Walmart in Goose Creek.

Didn't see Berkeley......didn't see Coach Chass.

Not giving up the name of the establishment, it was a nice place. (Check the local police blotter.)

C
Coach
Coach
C
Yeah, you were on the other end of town; had you hit the Piggly Wiggly, you would have been in the neighborhood. Gotta take Hwy 6 heading out of town towards the back end of nowhere. Next time!

throw in
throw in
Quote:

Yeah, you were on the other end of town; had you hit the Piggly Wiggly, you would have been in the neighborhood. Gotta take Hwy 6 heading out of town towards the back end of nowhere. Next time!

lol

B
goal
goal
B
Quote:

Did'nt the boys teams practice primarily in the lowcountry? Or should I say a majority of their practices were here?

The original construct of it was the practices would be in the areas of the bulk of the players. So, yes the boys were in the low country, and the players from outside the Charleston area were expected to come to practice there.

Quote:

Now we are talking three hour round trips between clubs for the girls

Obviously it hasn't been publicized as such, but keep in mind, the program is centered in Columbia, not too much of a stretch to say the bulk of the players will come from there. Also, not too much of a stretch to say that the parents with the bulk of the players, aren't necessarily going to want to drive, for the sake of the "new" players.

I'm not saying any of this is reality, but, it would make sense to fully consider all of the possibilities, prior to jumping in with both feet.

B
goal
goal
B
Quote:

so I guess the willingness to drive within the Lowcountry isn't the root of the problem.

The issues affecting the low country soccer scene is not like a pine tree where there is a tap root, but rather a grand oak tree with a root ball.

So if you take the tree to be "the problem", then if it were a like a pine, it's easy to fix, kill the tap root, kill the tree. However, with this root ball the whole time you're trying to kill the tree by killing the root, while you're addressing one thinking it will do it, other roots continue to grow, and you're left with the only way to kill the tree is to dig up the whole tree.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Good metaphor, Bear (well, actually, simile); I think that's a pretty apt description from what I've seen.

Now, turning a diseased tree into a healthy one players can climb on...there's a metaphor I could get behind.

goal
goal
bear, regarding your question: "With Rob Strickland moving to train/coach the U18 Academy group, anyone care to speculate what will happen to the CUFC 91 Elite, arguably one of the best teams in SC history?"

i don't know much about this team personally, but i would imagine that at the beginning of each previous season, players who wanted to be on that team tried out for a position. i would also imagine that most of the players from the previous year's team made it, while maybe they added one or two new players.

why would the upcoming season be any different from previous seasons? i mean, obviously they would be playing in a different league, but why would the makeup of the team change so much because of that? do you think players are going to refuse to play in a different league?

B
goal
goal
B
I have no idea with what some people will decide to do. I put that out there because there has been no discussion about it, which I don't understand. Maybe there has been and it's just not here.

It's a matter of perspective. Yours is from the academy side, mine from the other. No right or wrong, just different. I doubt that the team make up will drastically change, and the bulk if not all of the team will move over to the academy side. This move will lessen the competitive posture of CUFC as a club, within the USYS structure, and impact the 92 SC and Region ODP team.

Do I think players will refuse to play, not really, but it's asking people to take a pretty big leap of faith for the last year of their son's competitive soccer. Some may not be willing to do it, and some may not be able to do it.

goal
goal
i have to disagree somewhat (that's a shocker, huh?)

the people who played academy the first year of its existence took a pretty big leap of faith.

those joining now can talk to numerous people who have experienced academy first-hand.

since its first year, academy has added 15 teams to the original 64. for the upcoming season, 5 teams were chosen out of 250 applicants. sure, this is just year 3 (coming up) but the academy program does not appear to be losing any steam.

i agree that the move will lessen the competitive posture of cufc as a club within the usys structure, but not within the overall us soccer structure (which i believe both usys and academy fall under - please feel free to correct me if i get any of this wrong); and state and region odp teams across the country have been (and will continue to be) weakened by the academy.

but i have to believe that was expected from the beginning - after all, the academy was created by us soccer as a method to increase our level of play as a nation. one of the stipulations of playing for the academy is that you cannot also play odp. i'm not sure how else you can take that.

B
goal
goal
B
As I type this, I know it's risky, because some will take it the wrong way.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a disagreement, but more a search for perspective.

I read this that you are talking from a point of view of the academy from the national point of view. I'm still talking from a state point of view. As you said people could ask several that have participated in the academy first hand. Or I think they could piece it together with some understanding of some of the dynamics.

The leap of faith I'm talking about is a little different than the initial leap. The initial leap was localized in the Charleston area. I believe that it may have been thought that this could/would attract more players to the low country, however, it appears the converse has happened. The movement into the academy has splintered the area even more. DISA immediately comes to mind, although that could be for different reasons. I don't know where the bulk of the current U17 players in the low country are, but I do not believe it to be with Bridge. With the formation of DISA, there is a gap between the current U18 and the current U16 players, this U17 group. It would be this group that could have/should have been the incumbent group for the U18 academy.

So it brings to mind something that I learned quite some time ago, the but for. But for the lack of this U17 group of players, would there have been a need for this partnership with CUFC?

That being the case, the leap of faith I'm talking about is the one for people to make to a group that appears to have not been able to hold it together, for whatever reason, in their own area, and now are going to try to manage it across a distance of in excess of 100 miles.

As for the ODP stuff, I don't disagree. As for the relationship between US Soccer and US Youth Soccer, I'm not real clear. I know that US Youth Soccer and US Club Soccer are sanctioned by the same group, but I don't recall if that is US Soccer or USSF directly. So, I don't know if US Soccer is the parent for US Youth Soccer, or if they are on the same organizational plane.

goal
goal
not sure why anyone would look at it from a "state" point of view. both odp and academy were created for us to improve as a country, to identify players for the national team. i doubt that any player's ultimate goal is to make the "state" team.

maybe in your mind, this "gap" group of players "could have/should have been the incumbent group for the U18 academy" but that is assuming a lot. assuming that there would be no new players from the lowcountry other parts of the state, or new players from outside the state. you are assuming that the players currently on the u16 academy team are the only players that would normally make up the next year's u18 team. does cesa normally use that type of logic when preparing for a new season?

do you ask that "but for" question with everything you do? that's kinda like always asking "what if." i could do that all day long – what if mt pleasant had joined the bridge, what if ssc and bridge were still buddies, what if i had bought stock in microsoft all those years ago. just not sure what the purpose is.

so, with your "leap of faith" comment, you are now questioning the abilities of a coach, who apparently has been fairly successful so far, the abilities of the largest soccer club in the state, which has been fairly successful so far, and the abilities of a group of players (most of which you are assuming will be on this new team), whom have been, according to you, "arguably one of the best teams in SC history." whether you meant to question those or not, you were.

the last part, i gotta say i'm shocked about – you know more details about more soccer-related stuff than most people on this board. yet, it took me approximately 2 minutes to find the org chart for soccer in the united states.

it is located here: http://www.ussoccer.com/about/soccer/index.jsp.html

now, maybe you just didn't want to assume anything about the intricate legalities of the relationships, but i've always been taught that these charts usually go from top to bottom, which, by the looks of it, us soccer is clearly above both usys and us club.

L
throw in
throw in
L
I am enjoying this discussion as a lurker and no longer have a dog in this fight. However, I was very interested in the statement that 'i doubt that any player's ultimate goal is to make the "state" team'. What are club, or HS players ultimate goals in soccer? In my experience, none of the girls I have known were interested in making the national teams. Most would not have had the time. Of those interested in going beyond U18/U19 levels, all were interested in college play. I fully understand that playing on a national level team could enhance a players chances of being selected for the college they want but where should our focus be? In reading player profiles in media guides or SoccerBuzz, or TopDrawer, state level players are often very successful, as are national level players. What is the definition of success?

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

However, I was very interested in the statement that 'i doubt that any player's ultimate goal is to make the "state" team'.

Personally, I think most players ultimate goal changes over time. As they reach their upper teen years reality sets in and you realize that only a very select few from this state stand any chance of even coming close to making a national team. At that point the ulitimate goal changes to playing in college at some level - getting a little scholarship money while getting the "privilege" to continue playing the game most have loved since early childhood. For all but a few of these college players this will be it - hopefully most will continue to be around the game in some capacity and give back to the game that gave so much to them and taught them so many life long lessons.

goal
goal
sorry...i'll try to clarify. i am by no means suggesting that the goal of every player out there is to make the us national team. my statements were specifically regarding academy and odp players. the purpose of both of these programs (don't quote me exactly) is basically to increase the overall level of play of the us as a nation, but also (and mainly, i believe) to identify players for selection to the us national team(s).

so, again, i believe that players trying out for odp and academy teams (typically) have the ultimate goal of making a us national team. not realistic for the vast majority of players, but a goal, nonetheless. soccer63, while i agree with you that eventually most players' goals change to something more realistic, if they continue to work hard, i imagine many still hope in the back of their minds, and would jump, if given the chance.

goal
goal
oh, and LadyVolDad, i'll go a step further...when i made the comment about the "state" team, i was specifically talking about odp. if a player is trying out for odp, their goal is not usually to make the "state" odp team and then stop. they typically try and do well enough on their state odp team so they get picked for the region odp team, and onward.

Go Vols !!!

B
goal
goal
B
It was two minutes that I really didn't want to spend and was going on memory from when I was looking at/defending the dual rostering and other things associated with US Club Soccer.

My understanding of this type of the chart is the same, whether you look at it bottom up or top down, just depends on what you are trying to say. In the case of Academy vs ODP, to me, this is a case of the parent organization basically saying the program that it had delegated to the lower organization isn't working for it's intended purpose. Whether that purpose is new, old, or whatever. With this arrangement it's very easy to understand why there aren't more issues that have surfaced between the two. It's kind of hard to tell the boss that they are wrong, if you want to keep your job, or at least some part of your job. Mostly what I'm thinking of is the comparison as far as recruiting is concerned. With this different organizational structure, it presently is either okay, or it hasn't been challenged by enough organizations to clarify by the higher organization, that it's okay for the academy programs, or US Club programs to actively recruit players which are rostered with other organizations. And I understand that stays within the current rules, which is why the initial announcement here puts the emphasis so boldly on US Club Soccer affiliation.

As for the player gap question and relating it to CESA, (which comparing is not something that I intended to do, because it sets it up to be club against club, and those types of discussions tend to spin nowhere) I don't know how CESA does it, but I would think that they don't do it that way. But then again, the programs that they run appear to be solid enough on their own that they don't have significant gaps such that they would potentially have to combine with other organizations to fill them. As for attracting other players from outside of their area, they seem to be the one that has a record for being able to do that, at least in larger numbers. That's not to say others don't have the capability, just that it doesn't appear to be or have been as successful.

For the what ifs/but fors: I really don't think if MPSC had joined initially, the current situation with CUFC/Bridge would be happening. With respect to SSC, again, I don't think this would be happening, and further there wouldn't have been so many hurdles to jump to keep it going. I think both of these have a common denominator, maybe not necessarily the lowest common, but common none the less. As for the microsoft comment, I take that to be a derailing tactic from what I'm sure you were able to interpret from my earlier statements.

Let me try to clarify the leap of faith, so hopefully the perspective will be seen. To explain that, I don't know much at all about CUFC, but as you know, I do know quite a bit about the other partner in this endeavor. My comments about this leap of faith has nothing to do with the qualities of the coach, or players, or based on my lack of knowledge of them, the organizational leadership of CUFC. Likewise it has nothing to do with the players in the low country, and to a lesser extent the coaching abilities either. However, this leap of faith is essentially being requested by the players and parents, from the CUFC perspective, from an organization that appears to be solid, to one that is assuming risk. The amount of risk could be debated, but, I think you would have to agree there is risk, from the CUFC perspective. From the Bridge perspective, this is a good deal and the leap of faith doesn't necessarily carry the same risk. In the current structure, the organizational dynamics are pretty known. What this partnership provides the Bridge players and parents of Bridge is the "possibility" of something better, and that normally is very attractive. With this possibility comes the hope that the consulting to the board provided as part of the partnership by CUFC will be sufficient to increase the longevity. However, consulting with the board won't be enough to do it, it will require more. Perhaps that will happen, but the track record isn't very good for that at this time.

Care to tackle how this partnership between Bridge and CUFC is different than between the proposed partnership between CESA and CRSA?

goal
goal
actually, i don't really care to tackle it. the cesa-crsa attempt wasn't anything that interested me then, and it doesn't now. and, the funny thing is, apparently nobody else cares, either. just you. what i get from that, and the fact that i am seeing many more people talking positive about the academy (or at least much less negative) is that the tide is turning. i know you either don't want to admit it, or flat out refuse to, but it's happening. you can continue to cast doubt all you want. i just don't see the regulars here piling behind you like they used to.

for the most part, you have been a positive force on these boards, but you have chosen to take a very negative path lately. you've really been grasping at straws the last couple weeks. you had a chance to be a part of something a while ago, but for whatever reason (i know, it's personal) you chose to walk away. and now you're coming back and trying to tear it down. and it's really kind of sad.

R
throw in
throw in
R
bear, you're being tactful but i get it. bridge ran itself in to the ground and has been shopping its wares around sc for the last year and finally someone agrees to become their strange bedfellow. i don't know why cufc would take on all this baggage but they did and maybe it will work out.

B
goal
goal
B
Okay, I'll admit it, the partnership thing does interest me, and maybe it is only me, but, I was part of some of the organizational dynamics at the time it occurred. That said, I was hoping someone would discuss it, at least a little so I could gain a different/better perspective. Otherwise, the previous decision remains one where the SCYSA just pulled something out of the air.

For the academy piece of this, if you were to ask around you would probably find that I believed that the academy would really begin to show the fruits with the current U16 group, and yes, I think it is. Do I not want to admit it, or refuse to, nope. Part of this though, if you do a touch of research, or at least ponder it a little, you may realize that many of the posters who used to be active with discussions of this type, organizaational in nature, have either aged out or gone on to other things, or changed their logins. So, no it's not surprising to me either that people aren't piling behind it, or even talking about it.

As for being positive, that too is a matter of perspective. For those that want to see this endeavor succeed, I'm sure what I'm saying could be seen as negative. For those that are a little unsure about it, it could be that what I'm saying is positively bringing some things to light that should be considered.

I don't understand the grasping at straws. I did post a couple of things early, and then swap some PMs with people during what was more the chest thumping, and then stayed out of it until someone said why don't we talk about something real. It's kind of funny, haven't heard from many of those lately.

Not only did I have the opportunity to be a part of something a while ago, as you and many others know I was a big part of something a while ago. That something today, does not in any way resemble what that something was supposed to be at this time when it first started. It was heading that way when I left.

As for coming back and trying to tear it down, all I can say is I'm sorry you see it for that. I've cared for a very long time for the players and parents that are caught up in the dynamics of things, and really hope it works out for all of them, you and yours included. Perhaps this endeavor will be the key, only time will tell. I really hope that the parents and players are going into it with eyes open though. And yes, it is really sad that it is what it is today, because it could have been much more.

There has been annual discussions about merging/combining forces in the low country, and I still feel the Bridge FA "concept" is the one that has the capability to do that.

Are we going to continue to play volley ball, or let the ball drop to the court?

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
CHICO - Help!!!!!! anybody know how to get in touch with him to get his opinions?

S
coach
coach
S
I actually have been reading this - and I've been tempted to post a few times but was concerned anything I write quickly could be perceived as a criticism of one or more clubs. I'll make it clear - I think that CUFC is doing a good thing here for players, parents, coaches, and itself.

I perceive that are three major facets of youth soccer; these are (from most to least important) the players (and their parents), the coaches, and the administrators.

I think that the players (and their parents) are well-served by the CUFC announcement (and the CESA announcement as well.) I’ve always been a broken record on the concept of choice – greater choice, and greater diversity of service offerings, is precisely what South Carolina youth soccer needs. So I applaud CUFC for this.

Likewise, from the coaching perspective, I see the CUFC announcement as a win – although less so just because all it does is shift around opportunities. I actually thought that the YMCA announcement CUFC made was more important with respect to coaching – because it gets at the core issue of getting more kids playing who might not otherwise be playing. But in this announcement an alliance (or partnership, or whatever) between CUFC and Bridge seems positive for coaches.

Finally, the least important group: the administrators. Please note that I am not stating that many (or even most) of these people aren’t important – they’re just not as important as the players, parents, and coaches. I think that the CUFC announcement is absolutely fascinating – a veritable soap opera of shifting interests and alliances.

Emerson once wrote that “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.” You can’t accuse the CUFC administrators of having small minds – the fact that they lodged complaint after complaint toward CESA and coaches associated with CESA – and even one against my dog “Chico” (hard to believe, but actually a true story) concerning CESA creating first a club in Columbia and then creating alliances/partnerships with clubs in the Columbia area was pretty well documented. This resulted in what was in my opinion the single worst ruling of which I’m aware – the creation out of whole cloth of the “district rule” whereby a player who wanted to play on a team not in their “district” would be forbidden if adding that player would result in over half of the team being from “out of district.” To watch the administrators at CUFC decide to go outside of the USYSA (and thus SCYSA) structure to create teams that can bypass the rule that they themselves so adamantly lobbied for is simply fascinating. I don’t think that anyone can argue that the administrators at CUFC did this “for the kids”; it was a nakedly aggressive and ambitious ploy and I think it helped the club. Despite all of this, I actually think it was pretty clever – although perhaps not possessing quite as much integrity than that for which I might have hoped.

Finally, there’s the SCYSA. I honestly do wonder if the incisive and brilliant minds over there have quite yet made the connection concerning just how all of this has unfolded – that even the club for whom they carried the water and made a ruling against player and parent choice has now elected to go outside of the SCYSA to defeat that ruling. Ironic – in a lemming-like fashion.

In closing, I’ve got to tell you that the SCSYSA’s role in all of this reminds me of an old story. A college professor asked a student if for $1M the student would go on a date. The student enthusiastically agreed. The professor then asked if the student would go on a date for $10. The student indignantly replied “What do you think I am?” The college professor noted that there was no doubt of the answer to that question; that at that point all that was occurring was negotiation.

The SCYSA is a negotiating body. Perhaps there's brilliance in what they do that I just don't get. But if so, I need to stick to "for-profit" companies; the non-profits are just entirely too smart for me.

world cup
world cup
Nice to see you are still out there lurking.

The Lady Wildcats look like they are getting their stride right before play-offs.

Hope you and your family are doing well.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Awesome.......does anyone besides me see the rhetorical and literary resemblances between Shibumi and George Will?

goal
goal
As in, George Frederick Will, the Pulitzer Prize-winning conservative American newspaper columnist, journalist, and author, who was born in Champaign, Illinois, and eventually graduated from University Laboratory High School of Urbana, Illinois, and attended Trinity College, in Hartford, Connecticut, and is the son of Frederick L. Will and Louise Hendrickson Will, his father being a respected professor of philosophy, specializing in epistemology, at the University of Illinois? Well, sorta...

B
bench
bench
B
Bellig - Wikipedia is not acceptable as a proof source on this board. That said, I agree he sorta does. BLH

goal
goal
so, BLH, if i told you that i am such a huge fan of george will that my entire post was from memory, are you saying you wouldn't believe me?

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
If true, Belligerent.......you have bigger issues than Bridge-CUFC!!!!

I've always been a big fan of George Will. Don't totally buy into his politics but he is a really smart guy and I love his writing. He's got a great sense of humor, he take pleasure out of tweaking people with opposing views, and he's smart enough to never, ever lose an intellectual argument....at least from what I've seen. I don't know if he's still on whatever it is they now call "This Week with David Brinkley", but I loved him on that too.

B
bench
bench
B
I believe you Bellig. Here's all I've got for a quote (since the Emerson hobgoblin quote has been played), and it's from another great George:

Sam: What are you up to, Norm?
Norm: My ideal weight... if I were 11 feet tall.

George Wendt

S
coach
coach
S
Hurst66: I've noticed that it takes a lot less time to read than to write! But to be honest, I usually get an e-mail from someone when it's a subject they know I'd be interested in. Over two days, I wrote two responses and deleted them; but when Bear began talking about the administrative aspects of this it seemed time. Being a Bridge fan from the outset of the club's creation, I understand the desire that the low-country "unite" - but my aspirations are much lower - I just want freedom of choice for players/parents coupled with an increasing richness and diversity of services offered to those players/parents.

BLH/Belligerant/Big Daddy: Were that I was an intelligent as Will. In addition to lacking his skills, I lack his appreciation for baseball - I'd rather watch paint dry. In this general vein, I tend, by the way, to agree with David Mamet: I think Thomas Sowell is our greatest contemporary philosopher.

throw in
throw in
In response to Shibumi..Hmm

Last edited by SCKicker; 04/27/09 03:57 AM.
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard