Next Thread
Print Thread
#117483 04/14/09 09:08 PM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Is the SC female player an athlete playing soccer or a soccer player with limited athletic ability? How would you describe your team?

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
sweetfeet,
I just have to tell you that your questions have been good ones but there is no way that a coach is going to publicly post honest answers to them. It would be coaching suicide.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
I didn't answer because neither scenario applies to Wando or some other teams we play.

They ARE soccer players with excellent athletic ability and excellent athletes that play soccer and other sports as well.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
That's another example of an either/or question that doesn't represent the middle ground...if you look around the state, or even within many teams, I'm sure you'll find some who are both, some who are neither, and all manner and degree of combinations in between.

I've got good news and bad news...
L
throw in
throw in
L
Ain't that the truth. The quickest and fastest female forward I have ever seen was a very lean muscular looking player who became one of the leading freshman scorers in the SEC last year at MSU. She would be an athlete in this topic. The most dominant midfielder I have known was large, had a bit of a belly, and was one of the slowest runners we had. She did not look athletic at all but was a tremendous force in the middle. I guess she could be an athlete or soccer player. The absolute most athletic looking female player I have known (very quick, muscular, was tops in all of the "range" ratings for a soccer player, always first to finish a sprint, multi-dimensional, etc) was dominant in any position but could not keep her personal issues off the field. I have often wondered what to classify her. Then there was the one 'soccer project' case our coach would take on who had minimal muscles, was very girly, almost no touch, but developed with time to maybe a low level Classic player but would occasionally stand up to players in our Athena A league with Tophat or the Atlanta Fire and take the ball. She was a soccer player probably but never really an athlete. I think this one thing that makes soccer, especially women's soccer, so much fun.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Thanks guys, After watching many games this season I can say without question that the top atheletes on the field are certainly not the better soccer players, the coaches love the chance of sending a ball long and praying that the girl with track speed can find the back of the net after her 20th shot. The average and I mean average HS fan/parent is still learning the game.

Link Copied to Clipboard