Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
kick off
kick off
C
I like how everybody keeps pointing to the CN game against Northwestern to prove there point. Let me start off like I have every other time this has been mentioned, IT WAS NOT A LEGITIMATE SOCCER GAME. If you believe that dropping 9 in the box and putting 1 up top is soccer then by all means explain it to me. That is like kneeling down every possession in football and praying for your defense to get lucky and get a defensive touch down. When teams have actually tried to play straight up with NW or a real defensive formation they have gotten beat by a fair margin. I have said this earlier the only teams that can play actual soccer against NW or Irmo are NW and Irmo. So if they meet I expect it to be a well balanced game with a last minute goal deciding the outcome.

Last edited by Cant Coach That; 04/21/09 05:24 PM.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Wasn't there.

Didn't see it.

Don't have a dog in the fight.

But...

According to the scoreboard, CN netted two goals against NW by "kneeling down on every possession in football and hoping the defense gets lucky." Only one other team has managed to do that so far this year. If it can be done with only one player up top, that might indicate a weakness somewhere that CN exploited.

Varsity soccer is based on results, not style points...if trying to "play straight up" or using a "real defensive formation" gets everyone who tries it "beat by a fair margin"...then who's playing the smarter soccer?

Just an objective observation.

I've got good news and bad news...
goal
goal
Quote:

No i don't live under a rock are you stupid, thats impossible, you have watched too much SpongeBob my friend

No, I am not stupid thank you. That is an expression. Nice try though.

bench
bench
Quote:

IT WAS NOT A LEGITIMATE SOCCER GAME.

According to Webster's Dictionary soccer is, "A game played on a field between two teams of 11 players each with the object to propel a round ball into the opponent's goal by kicking or by hitting it with any part of the body except the hands and arms —called also association football." So clearly Cardinal Newman played legitimate soccer.

Quote:

However, if the coach knows what he is talking about and the players are skillful enough to execute it. Then it works very well. A perfect example is the Northwestern Trojans.

But when you do not have the skill to execute that kind of soccer, logic would dictate that they find a style that works for them. Clearly Cardinal Newman did just that, and they got the closest to beating Northwestern of anyone so far.

Quote:

That is like kneeling down every possession in football and praying for your defense to get lucky and get a defensive touch down. When teams have actually tried to play straight up with NW or a real defensive formation they have gotten beat by a fair margin. I have said this earlier the only teams that can play actual soccer against NW or Irmo are NW and Irmo. So if they meet I expect it to be a well balanced game with a last minute goal deciding the outcome.

It seems rather arrogant to believe that your way is the only legitimate way to play soccer. I do not condone playing with nine in the box in all instances, but clearly it has its place in the game and was the most viable strategy for Cardinal Newman when they played Northwestern. It certainly was not pretty, but who can argue that it was effective.

28 seconds
J
Brace
Brace
J
every team can be beaten....it's as simple as that!!!

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
C
kick off
kick off
C
Rubix I am glad that you can read and copy. You can not compare how good team A is to team B when they are playing opponents who are playing two very different types of soccer. If team A is playing a bunch of teams that are playing not to lose like Cardinal Newman and team B is playing a bunch of teams that are actually playing to win like White Knoll then you will get two completely different out comes. Hence is why you can not compare Northwestern to Irmo off of this game.

Now if you come in with that mentality like that of Cardinal Newman then you are telling your opponent I am hear to get beat. I am here to get lucky and not to win. Sorry I would rather play to win and get beat by 16 than play a style like that. It is also not very creative of the coach.

If you seriously believe that I was implying that my way was the only way to play soccer then you ma'am are mistaken. I was implying that there are other ways to win. Their rec style of play netted them 2 goals. Better than most teams but if they were to meet again they would not be that lucky.

Yes Cardinal Newman has talent to put two passes together but they could not come up with a creative way to show it.

Last edited by Cant Coach That; 04/22/09 05:14 PM.
bench
bench
haha you are not making any sense...no team ever comes to lose and you cannot blame CN for coming with a different gameplan than others to beat Northwestern
Their coach knew how to handle the pressure from the trojans and it played out great with the exception of a few plays in the final 20 minutes

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
rooney, u need to change your name or your ways. wayne rooney doesnt know how to lay back. did cardianl newman take solace from losing 4-2? u said,"it played out great with the exception of a few plays in the final 20 minutes." few plays equals 4 goals. few plays equals a loss. the plan did not work plain and simple. can nhs be beaten? absolutely and so can irmo. any body can be beaten. the trojans will likely face the same strategy again probably even tonight against ft mill, but while the score might be held down it wont work tonight either.

A
kick off
kick off
A
is it true zach clerk always kicks the pk for NW? and only kicks into the right side?

sG Offline
corner kick
corner kick
It's Zack Clark by the way, and he just blasts it. Theres no stopping his shot no matter where he puts it. The only way hes missing is if its off target.

One Time!
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard