Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
Northwestern has dominated every opponent they have played this season. I don't see them getting beat by anybody all the way up to the State Championship Game. Anybody agree/disagree?

By failing to prepare, you prepare to fail.
goal
goal
I agree. They should win the remainder of their games and should do well in playoffs. The only time I COULD see them losing would be in the state championship to Irmo, if both teams make it of course. But I still do not see Irmo beating Northwestern. Northwestern plays a beautiful style of play and they have balance overall from front to back.

goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
They sure do, and I don't think anyone can hang with them.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Northwestern has dominated every opponent they have played this season. I don't see them getting beat by anybody all the way up to the State Championship Game. Anybody agree/disagree?

Dominated every opponent????
You make Achmed laugh.
Luck and ony luck got them past Cardinal Newman.

"Silence, I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
goal
goal
They were down 2-0, they came back to win 4-2. All 4 goals in the second half. Sure is lucky.... No. Championship caliber teams find ways to win. That's what Northwestern did.

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Quote:

They sure do, and I don't think anyone can hang with them.

Well there is of course one team that can hang with them... if they ever get the chance to meet. actually they would probably have to hang with Irmo

goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
Luck? Cardinal Newman was a test that they passed with flying colors. They were the better team in that game as shows with the 4 - 2 win. They were able to fight their way back from 0 - 2 down and scored those four goals in the last twenty minutes of the half. I've never seen luck score four goals in twenty minutes.

goal
goal
Ok pinger you win. Irmo is the best team hands down, no competition. NOW can you pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee stop telling us that Irmo is better than Northwestern. I think everyone on this board has read it from you enough already.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

I've never seen luck score four goals in twenty minutes.

By definition, this is luck.
Dominate would be 4 goals score over 80 minutes.

goal
goal
They did score 4 goals in the whole 80 minutes... technically.

Last edited by The Real Henry; 04/16/09 06:32 PM.
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
SmallSodaMan - Do you believe that Cardinal Newman is the better team and that they deserved to win that game?

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

SmallSodaMan - Do you believe that Cardinal Newman is the better team and that they deserved to win that game?

Cesc_Fabregas - Do you believe Northwestern dominated Cardinal Newman that game???

goal kick
goal kick
sign of a good team is finding a way to win when u are not playing your best.

Sounds like what NW did.

goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
You're right maybe they haven't dominated every opponent; however, as The Real Henry said they found a way to win. Thats really all that matters.

goal
goal
When it counted, I do believe Northwestern dominated that game: 4-2.

Over the course of the game they obviously did not and Cardinal Newman played a great game. CN is a quality team.

corner kick
corner kick
NW might have dominated Chapin when they won 2-1 but I don't think they dominated CN when the won 4-2

goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
Quote:

When it counted, I do believe Northwestern dominated that game: 4-2.

Over the course of the game they obviously did not and Cardinal Newman played a great game. CN is a quality team.

Well said

goal kick
goal kick
I don't think you get the point.

NW won 4-2

Whether they doninated or not.

corner kick
corner kick
It was said that Northwestern "dominated" every team they played. They have not.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
every team can be beaten. 2 years ago northwestern was the heavy favorite to beat spring valley and lost. last year spring valley was ranked # 1 in the nation and had a 30+ match winning streak and lost 2-0. can they be beaten? absolutely! will they be beaten? only team on their schedule with a chance is ft mill but i dont see it. can irmo beat them? possibly, only time will tell. imho nhs is the better team and proved it last year at irmo and got region III mvp dennis moore in the bargain. hopefully this will be settled on the pitch.

corner kick
corner kick
If anyone else picked on Achmed, he was going to have to side with "pinger90" and pull for irmo.....

Holy Crap!

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

District IV is a very weak region....
.....Plus NW has the weakest schedule of any Top 10 teams (Fort Mill is Not a legitimate Top 10 Team this year)

They won't get any competition until the playoffs

Last edited by Spartan; 04/16/09 08:23 PM.
throw in
throw in
All these comments add fuel to the fire. Northwestern over over Irmo 7-1 in the state championship game.

Yeah!! HAHA
C
kick off
kick off
C
First the CN game was not a soccer game but a kick ball game. Drop 8 in the box, kick it 60 yards and run, pray to get lucky, and that is what they did. Northwestern did dominate Cardinal Newmans kick ball team. Now for the state championship 2 years ago the better team lost, it happens, and last year the state championship was played at Irmo. The NW/SV game was a constellation game. As for this year Irmo and Northwestern are both great. If the state championship game was played right now I would give the edge to Irmo. Northwestern is to cocky and their gk situation is like USC's qb situation. That is all.

sG Offline
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Northwestern is to cocky and their gk situation is like USC's qb situation. That is all.

What would lead you to believe that NW is too cocky?
And both of their keepers are good too. Please explain where you are getting your information.

One Time!
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
There is no doubt that both Northwestern and Irmo are very good teams. If a game between these two was to be played right now I believe that the pace and skill of NW would wear them down.

1 - 0 Northwestern Trojans

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
I would go with NW just because i don't like pinger

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
For goodness sakes...... can we work it out where these two play a extra game against each other if one of them happens to get knocked out of the playoffs this year before they face each other? This has been a whole season worth of smack threads about these two facing each other - believe it or not there are other soccer teams in this state that on a given day when the stars are aligned just right can beat these two schools.

S
bench
bench
S
Agreed!

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

First the CN game was not a soccer game but a kick ball game. Drop 8 in the box, kick it 60 yards and run, pray to get lucky, and that is what they did. Northwestern did dominate Cardinal Newmans kick ball team. Now for the state championship 2 years ago the better team lost, it happens, and last year the state championship was played at Irmo. The NW/SV game was a constellation game. As for this year Irmo and Northwestern are both great. If the state championship game was played right now I would give the edge to Irmo. Northwestern is to cocky and their gk situation is like USC's qb situation. That is all.

First we had a kickball game and then a constellation game.

With their capability of not only banding together to defeat a stubborn opponent, NW also has the ability to travel the universe to play otherworldly beings. Amazing? Or an amazingly ignorant poster? You decide.

It's apparent you can't coach that at all.

Last edited by TugJobber; 04/17/09 01:28 PM.

Puttin A's on B's
C
kick off
kick off
C
Haha I just speak the truth. The state championship is supposed to be played by the two best teams. Well they were Irmo and Northwestern last year. As for the CN game what else would you call it? I would not call it soccer. Maybe wreck soccer. When you drop 8 in the box and put one fast forward up top and kick it 60 yards up field every time that is what you get. Even their coach was screaming kick it just kick it out the whole game. Not settle down boys or hey guys connect passes. Just kick it. So yea I would call that a kick ball game.

bench
bench
1st of all its rec soccer short for recreational soccer(Cant coach that) not wreck. But the CN game was decided by 2 very questionable calls in the box that the refs gave northwestern for pk's.

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
yeah - wreck is what you do when you - Can't drive that

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Not sure how you can say that NW and Irmo were the two best teams in the state last year. Didn't Spring Valley beat Irmo during the regular season? Didn't they have a better record?

A
kick off
kick off
A
yep Spring valley beat Irmo twice and beat NW once

C
kick off
kick off
C
I apologize that I lost the spelling bee. That is a true statement that Spring Valley beat Irmo twice.

corner kick
corner kick

Achmed starting to lean towards Irmo.

Northwestern seems to have a weaker schedule and every rated team has challenged them.
CN was up by 2 at half as NW was awarded a couple questionable fouls late in the 2nd half.
Chapin 2-1
Fort Mill 2-0
This doesn't sound like domination to me (as the original poster stated)

goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
Well sometimes the score doesn't always tell the whole story. In both the Chapin and Fort Mill games, there was an overwhelming advantage to NW in the area of shots on goal.

Also, not every team has challenged them, they beat Wando 5 - 1.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Well sometimes the score doesn't always tell the whole story. In both the Chapin and Fort Mill games, there was an overwhelming advantage to NW in the area of shots on goal.

Shot's on goal means nothing if you cant finish the balls, one team could have 30 shots on goal and the other team have 1 or 2 shots on goal and that team could still win. You cant base domination just on shots on goal, its got to be based on how well the "dominating" team finishes in the game and posseses.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Wow! Achmed got a Subject line change...I'm honored.

Wando was scrimmage. It don't count. At least that's what Spring Valley said last year when BC beat them

C
throw in
throw in
C
North Western hasn't been challenged by some of the lower state teams that are pretty strong.

P
kick off
kick off
P
Quote:

North Western hasn't been challenged by some of the lower state teams that are pretty strong.

Perhaps that is because they haven't played many lower state teams. I believe NW has played only Chapin and CN during regular season.

MidlandsKid #117560 04/18/09 07:50 PM
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
You're right; however, it does show that NW had the ball in the opponent's half for alot of the game. I don't know who had more possesion, but just the way Northwestern plays is so possesive, I would guess that they did.

W
kick off
kick off
W
IRMO WILL WIN STATE
unless BEAUFORT can beat them in the first or second round, region 5 and 8 have many good teams, the lower state might bring home the title, WANDO is great @ home but maybe overrated, i see a IRMO v. NW final, shame its not @ d graveyard, IRMO 3 NW 3, pks IRMO 10933485 NW 10933484

bench
bench
Quote:

The state championship is supposed to be played by the two best teams.

That is an ideal tournament. Unfortunately this rarely occurs.

Quote:

As for the CN game what else would you call it? I would not call it soccer. Maybe wreck soccer. When you drop 8 in the box and put one fast forward up top and kick it 60 yards up field every time that is what you get. Even their coach was screaming kick it just kick it out the whole game. Not settle down boys or hey guys connect passes. Just kick it. So yea I would call that a kick ball game.

I would call it good coaching. If you clearly cannot connect passes around a team, a good coach will adjust his strategy. Even if this means using nonstandard strategies.

28 seconds
throw in
throw in
I agree with this...To many of these dumb#!! teams and coaches think that playing this pretty bs is going to win. Thats why all these teams that should be good are not good. This club mentality is washed up and old. Thats why all these players that go off and blow in college can't cut it. Lets stop this Premiership BS!!!!

Yeah!! HAHA
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
Quote:

I agree with this...To many of these dumb#!! teams and coaches think that playing this pretty bs is going to win. Thats why all these teams that should be good are not good. This club mentality is washed up and old. Thats why all these players that go off and blow in college can't cut it. Lets stop this Premiership BS!!!!

Your right that alot of times this "pretty bs" doesnt work but it is due to lack of skill on the team or a lack of adequate coaching. However, if the coach knows what he is talking about and the players are skillful enough to execute it. Then it works very well. A perfect example is the Northwestern Trojans.

S
bench
bench
S
can we not recall to last years game between the 2 clubs when irmo shut down Enzo the whole game except for one slip up, and lost 2-1 even though the reff made a terrible call, calling back a goal scored by Taylor Varney when he was probably two steps behind the defender not in front, but its safe to say that Fabregas probably plays for NW cause every post hvaing to do with them he either starts or comments on them, but NW we'll see the potential Irmo has when they go to state and cant cope with the attack they can have there moment right now till state being #1 in the nation cause after the championship it will be IRMO BABY SAH GOOD!!!!!!! i predict 3-1 actually i trust in the keeping at Irmo 3-0 FTW

Feel the Sting!
goal
goal
Eto'o, first off Coach Wren does not allow his players to post on the message board. Second off, we have heard the same rubbish about last years game between Irmo and Northwestern. Northwestern won, have the ring, so get over it! It was a great game and Irmo is a great team.

And you saying Irmo will beat Northwestern 3-1 or 3-0 in the state championship (IF THEY MEET) is absurd. Do you live under a rock?

S
bench
bench
S
No i don't live under a rock are you stupid, thats impossible, you have watched too much SpongeBob my friend, but yeah i do think that Irmo has been so dominate this year in every game they have played NW has been in plenty of Occasions where they could have lost one of these time they get down as they did against CN they will lose i'm just saying its gonna be a great exciting game but i know that Imo is going to win

Feel the Sting!
C
kick off
kick off
C
I like how everybody keeps pointing to the CN game against Northwestern to prove there point. Let me start off like I have every other time this has been mentioned, IT WAS NOT A LEGITIMATE SOCCER GAME. If you believe that dropping 9 in the box and putting 1 up top is soccer then by all means explain it to me. That is like kneeling down every possession in football and praying for your defense to get lucky and get a defensive touch down. When teams have actually tried to play straight up with NW or a real defensive formation they have gotten beat by a fair margin. I have said this earlier the only teams that can play actual soccer against NW or Irmo are NW and Irmo. So if they meet I expect it to be a well balanced game with a last minute goal deciding the outcome.

Last edited by Cant Coach That; 04/21/09 05:24 PM.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Wasn't there.

Didn't see it.

Don't have a dog in the fight.

But...

According to the scoreboard, CN netted two goals against NW by "kneeling down on every possession in football and hoping the defense gets lucky." Only one other team has managed to do that so far this year. If it can be done with only one player up top, that might indicate a weakness somewhere that CN exploited.

Varsity soccer is based on results, not style points...if trying to "play straight up" or using a "real defensive formation" gets everyone who tries it "beat by a fair margin"...then who's playing the smarter soccer?

Just an objective observation.

I've got good news and bad news...
goal
goal
Quote:

No i don't live under a rock are you stupid, thats impossible, you have watched too much SpongeBob my friend

No, I am not stupid thank you. That is an expression. Nice try though.

bench
bench
Quote:

IT WAS NOT A LEGITIMATE SOCCER GAME.

According to Webster's Dictionary soccer is, "A game played on a field between two teams of 11 players each with the object to propel a round ball into the opponent's goal by kicking or by hitting it with any part of the body except the hands and arms —called also association football." So clearly Cardinal Newman played legitimate soccer.

Quote:

However, if the coach knows what he is talking about and the players are skillful enough to execute it. Then it works very well. A perfect example is the Northwestern Trojans.

But when you do not have the skill to execute that kind of soccer, logic would dictate that they find a style that works for them. Clearly Cardinal Newman did just that, and they got the closest to beating Northwestern of anyone so far.

Quote:

That is like kneeling down every possession in football and praying for your defense to get lucky and get a defensive touch down. When teams have actually tried to play straight up with NW or a real defensive formation they have gotten beat by a fair margin. I have said this earlier the only teams that can play actual soccer against NW or Irmo are NW and Irmo. So if they meet I expect it to be a well balanced game with a last minute goal deciding the outcome.

It seems rather arrogant to believe that your way is the only legitimate way to play soccer. I do not condone playing with nine in the box in all instances, but clearly it has its place in the game and was the most viable strategy for Cardinal Newman when they played Northwestern. It certainly was not pretty, but who can argue that it was effective.

28 seconds
J
Brace
Brace
J
every team can be beaten....it's as simple as that!!!

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
C
kick off
kick off
C
Rubix I am glad that you can read and copy. You can not compare how good team A is to team B when they are playing opponents who are playing two very different types of soccer. If team A is playing a bunch of teams that are playing not to lose like Cardinal Newman and team B is playing a bunch of teams that are actually playing to win like White Knoll then you will get two completely different out comes. Hence is why you can not compare Northwestern to Irmo off of this game.

Now if you come in with that mentality like that of Cardinal Newman then you are telling your opponent I am hear to get beat. I am here to get lucky and not to win. Sorry I would rather play to win and get beat by 16 than play a style like that. It is also not very creative of the coach.

If you seriously believe that I was implying that my way was the only way to play soccer then you ma'am are mistaken. I was implying that there are other ways to win. Their rec style of play netted them 2 goals. Better than most teams but if they were to meet again they would not be that lucky.

Yes Cardinal Newman has talent to put two passes together but they could not come up with a creative way to show it.

Last edited by Cant Coach That; 04/22/09 05:14 PM.
bench
bench
haha you are not making any sense...no team ever comes to lose and you cannot blame CN for coming with a different gameplan than others to beat Northwestern
Their coach knew how to handle the pressure from the trojans and it played out great with the exception of a few plays in the final 20 minutes

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
rooney, u need to change your name or your ways. wayne rooney doesnt know how to lay back. did cardianl newman take solace from losing 4-2? u said,"it played out great with the exception of a few plays in the final 20 minutes." few plays equals 4 goals. few plays equals a loss. the plan did not work plain and simple. can nhs be beaten? absolutely and so can irmo. any body can be beaten. the trojans will likely face the same strategy again probably even tonight against ft mill, but while the score might be held down it wont work tonight either.

A
kick off
kick off
A
is it true zach clerk always kicks the pk for NW? and only kicks into the right side?

sG Offline
corner kick
corner kick
It's Zack Clark by the way, and he just blasts it. Theres no stopping his shot no matter where he puts it. The only way hes missing is if its off target.

One Time!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard