Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
world cup
world cup
SCISA sf,

I'm still a little confused. Are you telling me that if the tie-breaker game was played, and St. Joe's won, they would be in worse shape in terms of both FUTURE OPPONENT and number of days REST?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Hurst,

That is exactly the way it plays out.

Because of the 180 mile travel rule that SCISA has, it doesn't matter who St. Joe's plays in the first round because they don't have to travel to that team's home sight if they are the three seed and they wouldn't be able to host a first round playoff game if they were the two seed.

Instead of having to travel to Hilton Head to play either Hilton Head Christian or Hilton Head Prep on their home field, they will probably travel to Columbia to play on a neutral field. That means a 1.5 hour trip to Columbia for them and a 2.5 hour trip to Columbia for the team that actually earned the home game during the season.

Most people that have seen the teams in SCISA believe that Pinewood is clearly the best team and there is a pretty big distinction between Pinewood as a #1 seed on one side and Cardinal Newman as a #1 seed on the other side. By forfeiting the play-in game, St. Joe's assures themselves of being on Cardinal Newman's side of the bracket instead of Pinewoods. And oh yeah, St. Joe's beat Cardinal Newman 3-1 on Wednesday night.

And in terms of rest, it is also a very big advantage, both Hilton Head teams played last night and will have to play each other on Saturday and then travel to Columbia for games on Tuesday.

It's a bad system when it can work out that a team forfeits a game on purpose to further their chances.

goal kick
goal kick
I agree that the system needs some work. St. Joe's decision certainly was made to benefit themselves first. But all coaches will certainly do what they can to give their team the most benefit in any situation. You can't blame them for that. I'm not saying what they did was the right thing to do. However, if the roles were reversed, would another school make the same decision? I have a feeling St. Joe's wouldn't be alone. I think the rule as it stands seems to be the main problem.

Does SCHSL have a similar rule? Just curious.

world cup
world cup
I don't think the SCHSL has a travel rule, but the league is wise to divide the teams as upper state and lower state for the play-offs. Nobody makes that type of trip and the two survivors meet in Columbia for the final.

I don't blame St. Joe's either....I blame SCISA for allowing a team to gain an advantage through forfeit.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Corner Kick
Online Content
Corner Kick
C
I remember Lancaster being in the Lower state and traveling to Walterboro for Football Semifinals.

world cup
world cup
It don't get much further than that.

If Aiken were upper state, and Myrtle Beach lower state.....how long is that trip?

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Think about this . . . if St. Joe and Ben Lippen did play their game Saturday, what would the score be when the loser of the game would get the best advantage (per SCISA sports fan)? Bet it wouldn't be high scoring. Sounds like the a no win situation.
Last year, SJ and BL had to play an extra game to see which seed they would be, since they tied for first place in upper state. Don't know if it made a big difference in the scheme of things during the playoffs.
Still, do not think anyone is strong enough to beat Pinewood Prep.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Heathwood Hall 2 v Hammond 1
Heathwood continues on.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
All-State List?

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
SCISA playoff brackets:

Girls bracket isn't filled out yet as play-in game is today, but it is just as I said it would be. Totally different playoff structure for girls and boys.

http://www.scisa.org/athletics/soccer/09%20Spring%203A%20Boys%20Playoffs.pdf

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard