Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

If the arms aren't tucked in flush or it's an obvious attempt to trap the ball by someone using inappropriate technique though, it was always called.

Yes ma'am I have see the "chest trap wince" from my girls on quite a few occasions and have also seen/had the inadvertent "protection handball" called and not called on many occasions likewise.

My issue on this particular night referred to a couple of 'traps' where players had their arms crossed and held out in front of themselves 6-8 inches off their chest to shield themselves from balls bouncing back up off the pitch, which they were then able to bat back down to their advantage/possession. I have not one problem with the players protecting themselves from the hard ball played directly at them, but the medium pace bouncing ball......hmmm

I know the refs are doing the best job they can do and call the games as they see it so I think my frustration regarding an additional few more injuries to the team this game and what I saw as inconsistencies by the refs helped the devil in me jump ahead of my self control and allow me to post my criticisms of the officiating tonight.

Seems I had a slight slip myself in observance of my own mantra of "style and grace" that I ask of the girls. I might need to go back and re-visit with myself about that one.

HEY- Thanks for the chance to self-reflect/criticize.

tk

Tony King
C
Coach
Coach
C
Back in the day (way to sound old, Chass) girls were allowed to cross their arms to protect the chest; the rule was that as long as the arms were crossed tightly against the chest, no foul, but if the arms came away from the chest it was illegal. That rule was changed years ago (as progress toward gender equality was made ) but every once in a while you find someone from the old school who still remembers it as legal.

I've got good news and bad news...
brace
brace
Most refs are male. All girls' players are female. Wonder if the lack of personal "experience" on the part of the refs makes it unreasonable to expect them to allow the girls to reasonably protect themselves.

May be we need to rethink this rule. A solid arms/crossed over the chest isn't going to gain any advantage and might really keep a serious injury from occuring.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
throw in
throw in
Quote:

Mauldin 4
Hillcrest 1

Mauldin supporters relaxed after their team scored a four-minute goal. However, their complacency was disturbed 15 minutes later when Hillcrest came back and equalized. Mauldin then restored a comfortable 3-1 half time lead and made the score 4-1 in the second half. Hillcrest never gave up. They could not match the Mauldin skills but determined and enthusiastic play caused Mauldin a few difficult moments.

An unusual game, as Hillcrest was the home team playing on what this season has become Mauldin’s hallowed turf. Two schools playing spring soccer with the addition of lacrosse and the grounds keeper is to be congratulated on turning a poor soccer surface into an excellent playing surface even this far into the season.

In addition, congratulations to Mauldin coach Laney Younts. His team was feisty, well balanced and fair and they were trying just as hard at the final whistle as at the game start. They were the first Hillcrest Girls soccer team to score on Mauldin in several years. Mauldin was the first team this season to beat Hillcrest by more than one goal.

Goals: Mauldin: Simpson; Whitney; Young; Schaidle
Assists: Shaidle; Carter; Whatley; Boswell

Goal: Hillcrest: Devita

corner kick
corner kick
Mauldin has a new coach - Laney Younts ????

I believe you mean Hillcrest coach Laney Younts.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

May be we need to rethink this rule. A solid arms/crossed over the chest isn't going to gain any advantage and might really keep a serious injury from occuring.

The rule is:
"A player shall be penalized for deliberately handling, carrying, striking or propelling the ball with a hand or arm."

If a player is protecting herself without deliberately handling, etc, it is not a foul. If, however, in the judgement of the referee, she is guilty of deliberately handling the ball, it is a foul.

As usual, it comes down to the judgement of the official who is human and can make mistakes. Referees are a very necessary part of the game, but they can make mistakes and those are also a part of the game.

A baseball umpire once said, "There's balls and there's strikes, but they ain't nothin' until I call 'em."

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Quote:

A baseball umpire once said, "There's balls and there's strikes, but they ain't nothin' until I call 'em."

It seems that female players are at a higher risk to get called for handling the ball versus their male counterparts although both have the same intention: protecting their bodies from painful impact. But the girls have to raise their arms whereas the boys go into a FK-wall with hands down protecting their private parts (already deliberately handling ).

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Quote:

The rule is:
"A player shall be penalized for deliberately handling, carrying, striking or propelling the ball with a hand or arm."

If a player is protecting herself without deliberately handling, etc, it is not a foul. If, however, in the judgement of the referee, she is guilty of deliberately handling the ball, it is a foul.

As usual, it comes down to the judgement of the official who is human and can make mistakes. Referees are a very necessary part of the game, but they can make mistakes and those are also a part of the game.

ah, nothing like a rousing postmodernist debate of reality versus perception!

I think the handball call is the most subjective rule we have and it really drives me nuts how inconsistently refs apply it.

throw in
throw in
Quote:

Mauldin has a new coach - Laney Younts ????

I believe you mean Hillcrest coach Laney Younts.

Correct, I messed up; Laney Younts is the Hillcrest coach as well as being a former Hillcrest player and a popular and dependable recreational player.

My need to correct the error also gives me the chance to congratulate the Mauldin team, and Coach Kevin Czar and his Assistants on becoming the Region II AAAA Champions.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
An apology for a post that was misunderstood.

It has been brought to my attention that the remarks I made yesterday may have been misunderstood. In no way was I trying to say that the officials were the reason for the very close 3-2 game last night with Lancaster.

The general tone of my message was supposed to be towards the refs not calling fouls on either team and quite honestly I think letting the game get out of hand from both sides. I saw what I considered to be fouls committed by my girls that were not called as well as ones that I thought should have been called against the Lancaster girls.

It was not my intention to bash the fine game the Lancaster Ladies played last night but rather to point out my agreement with what has been an often repeated theme this year on the boards that on some occasions the officiating has been less than stellar- both ways- of course the same could be said about my coaching from time to time which is why I went back and made the comment about how I know the refs are doing the best job they can.

Please accept an apology from me if my post came across as anything other than a comment towards the reffing. It was not my intention to disparage the Lancaster soccer program in any way. It was a tough and physical game on BOTH sides with what I considered to be fouls committed by BOTH sides that went uncalled or addressed properly.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Tony

Tony King
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard