Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#119652 05/04/09 05:38 PM
Y
bench
OP Offline
bench
Y
I think the brackets have just been released for 2A and 3A on the scisa website. Looks like a showdown between CN and Pinewood Girls in 3A. For 2A, it could be a few teams.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
1st round

Pinewood over Heathwood Hall in a runaway
HHCA over Ben Lippen by one.

Cardinal Newman over Porter Gaud in a closer than expected game
HHP over St. Joe's in Orangeburg by a couple.

Semifinals

Pinewood over HHCA, but close
HHP over Cardinal Newman in PKS

Finals

Pinewood over HHP in overtime.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Hilton Head Prep/St. Joe's game will be in Orangeburg at 6:00 tomorrow night.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
SCISAsportsfan, I think you are right now but Heathwood is playing well now - so maybe not a runaway.
Brackets have everything but the times. Anyone have games times for tomorrow? Will I be able to go to both games in Columbia?

D
corner kick
corner kick
D
Porter Gaud @ Cardinal Newman 7:00pm, SCISA sports fan thanks for kind words regarding a close game. Should be an interesting one on a tight field, hoping we can give a good showing of ourselves and advance,

dcut5 #119657 05/05/09 12:38 AM
goal kick
goal kick
Ben Lippen vs HHCA 5:30pm. Maybe you can make both after all, gunners. Pray the rain will hold off and the weather will cooperate. SCISA sf, you seem to have little regard for the upperstate region. I seem to remember everyone thought the same thing last year, and 3 of the 4 semifinalists came from the upperstate. When playoffs come around, you just never know.

dcut5 #119658 05/05/09 12:47 AM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Porter Gaud @ Cardinal Newman 7:00pm, SCISA sports fan thanks for kind words regarding a close game. Should be an interesting one on a tight field, hoping we can give a good showing of ourselves and advance,

I think the small field should help your cause. Alexa Barnes is a good player, but you have already seen the best forward in SCISA in Courtney Smith and the best midfielder in SCISA in Kathleen Blum and the two best sweepers in SCISA in Lane Czura and Kimrey Smith.

Your team should be prepared. Good Luck.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

SCISAsportsfan, I think you are right now but Heathwood is playing well now - so maybe not a runaway.
Brackets have everything but the times. Anyone have games times for tomorrow? Will I be able to go to both games in Columbia?

How is your daughter doing in college this year? Did she see the field or is this a redshirt season for her? I meant to ask earlier and was remiss. I apologize.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Ben Lippen vs HHCA 5:30pm. Maybe you can make both after all, gunners. Pray the rain will hold off and the weather will cooperate. SCISA sf, you seem to have little regard for the upperstate region. I seem to remember everyone thought the same thing last year, and 3 of the 4 semifinalists came from the upperstate. When playoffs come around, you just never know.

We are all hoping for good weather. Bad weather can be the great equalizer in girls soccer. Pinewood for one is praying for good weather because their speed could be somewhat neutralized by a sloppy field.

It's not that I have little regard for the upperstate. I just think the games are going to be very close and I think graduation has made things very even for teams 2-6. Pinewood is clearly the favorite, but not as prohibitive as HHP has been the last few years. Heathwood and Porter Gaud are going to have to have something special happen to advance.

I have not seen your Ben Lippen team or St. Joe's this season as I would have in the past, but from watching scores and reading about results, it seems that both teams have trouble scoring. HHP and HHCA also both have trouble scoring, but their defenses are very, very good. It has taken some adjusting, but I think HHP's defense is now close to the same level as last year's back four. Sophomore Lane Czura is playing at a tremendously high level at sweeper and 8th grade Keeper Grace Anderson is becoming a star.

I think both games between the 2-3 seeds will be right down to the wire.

goal kick
goal kick
SCISA sf, thanks for the clarification. You always seem to be honest and objective. I agree that the 2-3 games this year have the potential to be excellent games. I really don't know what to expect from HHC or HHP, but from all accounts they are both excellent squads playing great soccer down the stretch. St. Joe's is the real deal, and can beat anyone when they have everyone healthy. Scoring is an issue, but neither St. Joe's or Ben Lippen are giving up very much defensively either. Both of those squads have played well down the stretch with some big wins and haven't given up much to some good teams. I think every team has a great chance to advance tomorrow IF they come ready to play.

D
corner kick
corner kick
D
i thought i had one of the best sweeper (Alex Kieth) oh well so much for the all-state team selections.

dcut5 #119663 05/05/09 12:42 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

i thought i had one of the best sweeper (Alex Kieth) oh well so much for the all-state team selections.

Alex didn't make it and neither did Czura. I would take either over who did make it. Those two players have a good skill.

How did anybody from Ashley Hall make the team? I guess if you score a bunch of goals against bad competition, the games against good copetition where you get shutout don't mean much.

bench
bench
Quote:

Quote:

I think the small field should help your cause. Alexa Barnes is a good player, but you have already seen the best forward in SCISA in Courtney Smith and the best midfielder in SCISA in Kathleen Blum and the two best sweepers in SCISA in Lane Czura and Kimrey Smith.

Your team should be prepared. Good Luck.

It looks like one or two good players can't win a game, SCISA soccer fan...you may have seen a very good one or two players in your region, but you very much underestimate the upperstate region, who brought back at least two wins tonight. Alexa Barnes is a VERY good player, but CN has a lot of talent that doesn't get recognition too.

Cardinal Newman - 4 Porter Gaud - 0
Was this closer than expected? I didn't realize 4-0 was a close game....good job hanging in there to Porter Gaud though.

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Pinewood vs Heathwood Hall postponed until Weds.

How did HHC vs Ben Lippen and HHP vs St. Joe turn out?

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
I think final score was:

HHC 1-0 BL

goal kick
goal kick
SCISA Quarterfinals
Hilton Head Christian-1
Ben Lippen-0

HHC capitalized off a BLS defensive mistake in the first half and held on to win. Great and evenly matched game. Excellently played cross by Melissa Whitton to Betsy Serral in front of the goal who finished the opportunity. Great play from both sides of the ball. Ball control was fairly even and game played mostly in middle third of the field. I guess SCISA sf was right on this one at least. The girls played hard and held nothing back. Hats off to HHC on a well-played game and best wishes to them in the second round.

We had a great year and I'm proud of my seniors and what they've accomplished in their tenure. Playoff appearances every year, I think, with mulitiple SCISA Top-5 finishes. We just couldn't get it done tonight. My seniors played great and led us in another great season. I'm very proud of each of them! My team gave all they had tonight, and they all deserve to be recognized for that. Thanks for another great year, ladies!

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
GreenvilleOnline.com shows:

St. Joe 3
Hilton Head Prep 2

SCISA Sports fan - any color on the game?

Three of the four play-off games completed tonight. Two upstate teams (Cardinal Newman, St. Joe's) and one lower state team (Hilton Head Christian) advance. PPS vs Heathwood Hall rounds out the semis on Weds. No rest for the winner versus Hilton Head Christian on Thursday. Starting to get interesting!

D
corner kick
corner kick
D
Cardinal Newman 4 Porter Gaud 0
We held the Cardinals 1-0 in the first half a defensive mistake on a set piece. I thougt it was a very good first half by both teams the Cardinals speed good not be matched by the Cyclones. We felt at the half we had a chance and had to go for it, that left players unmarked on the counter and we paid, the second goal came about 17 minutes into the second half. We continued to battle but could not generate any offensive punch. With about 12-13 minutes left and showing much we cleared the bench to get some experience for the younger players. HAts off to the Cardinals and Coach Steve and best of luck rest off the way.
As for ny girls, i have been here for 4 seasons and we have improved every season, iam so proud of them. We have been in the playoffs the past 3 seasons but unable to move onm maybe next season.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

GreenvilleOnline.com shows:

St. Joe 3
Hilton Head Prep 2

SCISA Sports fan - any color on the game?

Three of the four play-off games completed tonight. Two upstate teams (Cardinal Newman, St. Joe's) and one lower state team (Hilton Head Christian) advance. PPS vs Heathwood Hall rounds out the semis on Weds. No rest for the winner versus Hilton Head Christian on Thursday. Starting to get interesting!

I think the rain was the biggest factor in the game. Offense always has a huge advantage in conditions like that. St. Joe's scored twice on through balls on counter attacks in the first 10 minutes of the game to take a 2-0 lead. They were both great plays that the defense was just a bit slow reacting to. Like I said, I think rain played a big part in that.

HHP got on the board after capitalizing on a goal kick mistake by St. Joes (again the rain) to make it 2-1.

St. Joe's scored with about 10 minutes left when the HHP goalie couldn't secure the wet ball and it slid away from her for a St. Joe's player to tap it in.

Play was stopped at about the 9 minute mark for 40 minutes due to the weather and when the game resumed, it was all HHP. In the second half, I don't think HHP allowed a single shot on goal and they were peppering the St. Joe's end. A very nice punch over the crossbar and a fingertip save on the ground by the St. Joe's goalie combined with a ringing cross bar shot all allowed St. Joe's to keep the lead 3-2 for most of the second half.

Hat's off to St. Joe's, they came in as the underdog team and made a couple of great plays early to lead them to a victory. Good luck in the playoffs.

dcut5 #119671 05/06/09 10:30 PM
bench
bench
Quote:

Cardinal Newman 4 Porter Gaud 0
We held the Cardinals 1-0 in the first half a defensive mistake on a set piece. I thougt it was a very good first half by both teams the Cardinals speed good not be matched by the Cyclones. We felt at the half we had a chance and had to go for it, that left players unmarked on the counter and we paid, the second goal came about 17 minutes into the second half. We continued to battle but could not generate any offensive punch. With about 12-13 minutes left and showing much we cleared the bench to get some experience for the younger players. HAts off to the Cardinals and Coach Steve and best of luck rest off the way.
As for ny girls, i have been here for 4 seasons and we have improved every season, iam so proud of them. We have been in the playoffs the past 3 seasons but unable to move onm maybe next season.

Did Porter Gaud have a single shot on goal?

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
Quote:

Quote:

We continued to battle but could not generate any offensive punch.

Did Porter Gaud have a single shot on goal?

I think he answered that question and had a classy post about Cardinal and his Porter G players.

D
corner kick
corner kick
D
we had a few chances in the first half; but the speed of Cardinal Newman was too much to overcome. To be objective according to our stats we had 4 attempts on goal in the first and 2 in the second. Our girls played their best and should be proud of the effort, on the night beaten by a better team. Tip of the cap to Cardinal Newman and best of luck in the next round. Everyone seems to talk about rankings, as for me put us on the pitch. Sometimes as a coach you get it right, sometimes you do not. Good luck to all the teams left and see you Saturday morning at Porter Gaud.

dcut5 #119674 05/07/09 01:59 AM
P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Pinewood 3
Heathwood Hall 0

Pinewood vs Hilton Head Christian Thursday at Pinewood.

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
The guys who do the weekly rankings must have a crystal ball - last weeks top 4 all advanced to the semi-finals.

1 Pinewood Prep
2 Hilton Head Christian
3 St. Joseph's
4 Cardinal Newman

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Tonight's St. Joes v Cardinal Newman starts at 7 p.m. at CN.

F
bench
bench
F
The Cardinal Newman and St Joes game is at 6:30

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Pinewood vs HHC is now at 4:30 at Pinewood. bad storms on their way later tonight.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Quote:

The Cardinal Newman and St Joes game is at 6:30

Thanks and sorry. I called the school's office around noon and was told 7 p.m. I just heard 6:30 from someone else.
So 6:30 it is.

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Pinewood 1
Hilton Head Christian 0

Great game by both teams. Pinewood scored at 67 mins

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Cardinal Newman 1
St. Joe's 0

A real nail biter of a game. CN scored in first half and held on.

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Pinewood 4
Cardinal Newman 1

Great game and a great way to end the season.

24-2
126 goals
Only 15 goals allowed.
1st region championship
1st state championship

Great job ladies and congrats Coach Gail.

C
Goal
Goal
C
Nice season for the girls from Pinewood!!

L
bench
bench
L
It was a tremendous season for Pinewood's girls, and CN played tough. Pinewood's girls have worked hard and this was the 4th varsity season for many of them, who started as 7th and 8th graders. Great coaching helped!

An interesting observation: Pinewood boys won too, in OT. It was their sixth in a row, and probably the toughest of the 6 to claim - they played hard. Here's the observation: all the media coverage was on the boys. Post & Courier had 2 photos from boys game, 0 from girls. TV coverage was all boys on 3 Charleston networks, except 1 short clip of girls on one station at 11. The boys certainly deserve the attention, but it seems like the girls should get some too...

D
corner kick
corner kick
D
Typical

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard