#119961 05/07/09 05:33 PM
B
Birch Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
B
“UNITING” BEGINS WITH COASTAL UNITED FC

For Immediate Release (Mount Pleasant, S.C.)
May 7, 2009

Southern Academy Alliance (SAA) of Beaufort County, Carolina Girls Soccer Academy (CGSA) of the Myrtle Beach area and Bridge FA of Mount Pleasant jointly announced today that commencing with tryouts for the upcoming 2009-2010 season each will consolidate its programs into Bridge FA, Bridge FA will conduct its youth soccer operations under the previously announced trade name and colors of “Coastal United FC”, and Mike Townsend, current Director of Soccer at SAA and Curtis Freeman, current Director of Soccer at CGSA have been appointed as Director of Soccer (South) and Director of Soccer (North), respectively, for Coastal United FC, effective as of that time. Says Jason Birchwood, Bridge FA’s Director of Soccer, “The positive feedback we received up and down the Coast since announcing our desire to bring people and programs together has been incredible. While we know it will take some time and we know there will always be detractors, we are serious about the ‘inclusive’ model we are implementing for all those who see the value, as we now do, in developing youth players from within. Both Jeff and I are excited to have Mike and Curtis added to our growing family of soccer leadership and we appreciate the fact that they wholly embrace the new direction we all are collectively heading in through Coastal United FC.”

According to Freeman, this opportunity presented itself along the Grand Strand at just the right time. "I am extremely excited about Coastal United FC because Carolina Girls Soccer Association was founded to offer more opportunity for female soccer players in the Myrtle Beach and surrounding areas. This is a perfect “next step” for us and I am confident it will be well received by the players.” Similar optimism abounds along the southern region of the Coast.
“’This is far more than just a name change’ is what people need to understand” says Townsend. “Bridge FA’s willingness to recognize that change was needed, its openness to be inclusive of the talents and interests of others (like Curtis and me) when approached, and most importantly, the bona fide desire of Bridge FA’s board to totally revamp its operations, programs and brand so as to change its image and better serve youth soccer players is something I found to be most refreshing in this day and age. SAA is exceptionally pleased to unite its Beaufort County area operations into Bridge FA under the new Coastal United FC. We firmly believe this will provide both existing players and many new players unprecedented opportunities to achieve their soccer goals. Like all involved, I look forward to being a part of building something special for players along the Coast for years to come.”

As stated by Alan Jackson, President of Bridge FA, “The willingness of Columbia United’s leadership to simply consult with us and help us approach things much differently to enable us to both change our image and grow youth soccer over time along the Coast is most appreciated. What our new Coastal United FC board and soccer leadership does from here and how successful we will become is now up to us. That said, I know I speak for Curtis and Mike and others when I say we all look forward to doing our best to help families and children of the entire Low Country community enjoy youth soccer at a level commensurate with each child’s ability.”

Currently, Bridge FA and SAA have teams participating in the South Carolina Youth Soccer Association’s State Challenge League as well as in the United States Youth Soccer Association’s Region III Premier League. Tryout dates for the upcoming 2009-2010 Select Team (U13-U18) season can be found at www.bridgefa.com. Evaluation dates for U9-U12 players will remain as previously scheduled at Bridge FA, SAA and CGSA. Additional Junior Academy Evaluation dates will soon be posted for the North Region (Myrtle Beach/Georgetown), Central Region (Charleston/Summerville/Berkeley County), and the South Region (Beaufort, Hilton Head, Walterboro).

In weeks ahead, more information concerning Coastal United FC will be available at www.CoastalUnitedFC.com. Pursuant to a Trademark License Agreement from Columbia United FC, the logos, colors and slogan of Coastal United FC will be:

“One Coast, One Club, One Passion..….All Youth, All Levels, All Soccer”

For more information, contact:
Jeff Hoerner, Coastal United FC Director of Administration at (305) 926-1958
Jason Birchwood, Coastal United FC Director of Soccer at (843) 367-3620
Curtis Freeman, Coastal United FC Director of Soccer (North) at (843) 503-3209
Mike Townsend, Coastal United FC Director of Soccer (South) at (843) 247-4619

Birch #119962 05/07/09 07:33 PM
B
goal
goal
B
Nice announcement. Very interesting, fulfilling, and satisfying, and many other adjectives you could put in here. Stick with it for the long haul and make it a reality, by keeping your eyes to the motto.

Bear #119963 05/07/09 09:13 PM
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
CUFC vs. CESA could be every final in the years to come.

world cup
world cup
CUFC = Coastal
CUFC = Columbia
CUFC = Charlotte

Uggh!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
W
goal kick
goal kick
W
Quote:

CUFC = Coastal
CUFC = Columbia
CUFC = Charlotte

Uggh!

Is BFA still merging with Columbia UFC?? What's the difference between Carolina Girls Soccer Association (or is it Carolina Girls Soccer Academy) and Coast FA?? The merger announcement says CGSA. Curtis Freeman coached at Coast FA.

BFA's merging with CUFC & forming SC United Futbol Club and they're merging with SAA and CGSA and forming Coastal United.

I like the effort and mission statement... but confused by all the different mergers, names, etc

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
Quote:

CUFC vs. CESA could be every final in the years to come.

Why is that?? CUFC as in Columbia United or CUFC as in Coastal United???

corner kick
corner kick
Methinks people need to get a lot more original when it comes to naming clubs, lol.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
J
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
J
WormBurner,
Carolina Girls Soccer Association and Coast FA are not affiliated.Curtis Freeman is no longer involved with Coast FA.

Birch #119969 05/08/09 12:46 PM
B
bench
bench
B
Coast FA is an established club that operates in Myrtle Beach S.C. at Socastee Park. We run our own rec league and field boys and girls classic and challenge teams from U-18 -U-9. Curtis Freeman was a staff coach for our club but no longer works for Coast FA.

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Quote:

Quote:

CUFC = Coastal
CUFC = Columbia
CUFC = Charlotte

Uggh!

Is BFA still merging with Columbia UFC?? What's the difference between Carolina Girls Soccer Association (or is it Carolina Girls Soccer Academy) and Coast FA?? The merger announcement says CGSA. Curtis Freeman coached at Coast FA.

BFA's merging with CUFC & forming SC United Futbol Club and they're merging with SAA and CGSA and forming Coastal United.

I like the effort and mission statement... but confused by all the different mergers, names, etc

I think the SC United is geared toward the older kids and Coastal United is geared toward the academy aged kids.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
James Island, Charleston United, Summerville SC, Mt. Pleasant SC, Daniel Island, Cainhoy, Bridge FA, Coast FA, South Carolina United FC, Coastal United FA, merger, alliance, partnership, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

The Lowcountry, and now the entire coastal region, will never get it right. Different names and colors but same old personnel and ideas that last a few years before the need to change again (aka, cover up the inability to do something right).

Is all this confusing or baffling to anyone? Folks, if your kid is one of the top players, then go to CESA yesterday.

K
bench
bench
K
What is really funny is that more than likely all three of the heads of these organizations (Brisson, Townsend, Freeman) are quietly trying to figure out when they are going to make the move to squeeze out the other two.

Will they wait one year or two???? LOL!!!

Let's all make bets on who is going to be left standing.

I'm waiting to see the two who are squeezed out turn up as the new ShamWow spokespersons.

The worst part, it will just hurt soccer in the lower state in the end. That is what is sad.

H
kick off
kick off
H
I wish everyone would stop being so negative about the whole thing. Maybe the name should have been different ,but what does it really matter. This is a group of clubs that has a vision for kids soccer. The lowcountry/coastal region has needed this for a long time. To clarify:
SCUnited Soccer- open to any player in the state who wants to play Elite soccer U-15 and up
Coastal United Soccer-BridgeFA,SAA,CGSA combine for the Coastal Region.Offers all ages and level of soccer.
This is by far the biggest step anyone has taken to try to form a club that will be competitve in and out of the state.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
Quote:

To clarify:
SCUnited Soccer- open to any player in the state who wants to play Elite soccer U-15 and up
Coastal United Soccer-BridgeFA,SAA,CGSA combine for the Coastal Region.Offers all ages and level of soccer.

What is the clarification on the BFA & Columbia United merger?

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
Sorry I added to the confusion. Went back through old posts and it's a consulting agreement, not merger "Next, please know that Columbia United FC has entered into a similar consulting and licensing agreement with Bridge Futbol Alliance, Inc. (Bridge FA) of Charleston, South Carolina. Columbia United FC will provide consulting service to the board of directors of Bridge FA in coming months as Bridge FA works to restructure its youth soccer operations so as to provide expanded youth soccer opportunities within its club by eventually offering special needs, recreational, junior academy and an expanded multi-tiered select soccer system."

H
kick off
kick off
H
Quote:

What is really funny is that more than likely all three of the heads of these organizations (Brisson, Townsend, Freeman) are quietly trying to figure out when they are going to make the move to squeeze out the other two.

I'm waiting to see the two who are squeezed out turn up as the new ShamWow spokespersons.

The worst part, it will just hurt soccer in the lower state in the end. That is what is sad.

Brisson has no affiliation with Coastal United Soccer.

O
kick off
kick off
O
Is there really a need to have one big club in the low country? If this is the case then why don't we take it another step further and just have one big club for SC (isn't that ODP). Maybe one big club for the the whole south east (Regional team)or for the whole of the US (national team.)

Why don't these individuals spend more energy and time working together with the other clubs in the State in improving ODP and on focusing on development more players at the younger ages in their areas? Maybe they are but history to date has not proved that.

Seems to me that if we focused on developing more clubs and more players, in our areas, the top areas should/would take care of themselves. More kids playing the sport the better local competition would become. Then you would need to spend less time on traveling, saving money and the more accessible it would become to more athletes and that in it self would then promote the game. Again making more people want to play the sport and then making local teams and competition stronger promoting it even more....I am pretty sure that is what happens around the rest of the world, maybe they are and I am wrong.

It seems fairly easy to me so please excuse my ignorance if I have something wrong....I am sure someone will enlighten me.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
Quote:

Why don't these individuals spend more energy and time working together on focusing on development more players at the younger ages in their areas? Maybe they are but history to date has not proved that.

From the original post announcement "we are serious about the ‘inclusive’ model we are implementing for all those who see the value, as we now do, in developing youth players from within."

H
kick off
kick off
H
Quote:

Is there really a need to have one big club in the low country? If this is the case then why don't we take it another step further and just have one big club for SC (isn't that ODP). Maybe one big club for the the whole south east (Regional team)or for the whole of the US (national team.)

Why don't these individuals spend more energy and time working together with the other clubs in the State in improving ODP and on focusing on development more players at the younger ages in their areas? Maybe they are but history to date has not proved that.

Seems to me that if we focused on developing more clubs and more players, in our areas, the top areas should/would take care of themselves. More kids playing the sport the better local competition would become. Then you would need to spend less time on traveling, saving money and the more accessible it would become to more athletes and that in it self would then promote the game. Again making more people want to play the sport and then making local teams and competition stronger promoting it even more....I am pretty sure that is what happens around the rest of the world, maybe they are and I am wrong.

It seems fairly easy to me so please excuse my ignorance if I have something wrong....I am sure someone will enlighten me.

First of all ODP is not a club.There is a regional Team and a National team in place. You probably need to do some research on the other parts of the world,but i do believe that in most states there are only several large clubs per state vs 6 or more in one city(that would be Charleston).

R
throw in
throw in
R
when are the clowns and dancing bears coming out. Can't believe I'm agreeing with Kickinit, but this is starting to become comical.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
NCYSA Members youth and youth leagues - 104
GYSA Members youth and youth leagues - 109
SCYSA Members youth and youth leagues - 57

NC population 9,222,414 7/08
Ga population 9,685,744 7/08
SC population 4,479,800 7/08

50% population of NC/GA
50% clubs of NC/GA

for correlation Louisiana has 47 members and 4,410,796 inhabitants

Last edited by futbol(soccer); 05/08/09 06:34 PM.
K
bench
bench
K
Quote:

Quote:

So are you saying that at this point he will not be a single training session with any of the kids playing for either Bridge FA or Coastal United Soccer. Also, does that mean he will not attend a single tournament with any of these PLAYERS. Doesn't matter what the tournament is or the name of the team - he will have no contact at all with any of the players.

H
kick off
kick off
H
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So are you saying that at this point he will not be a single training session with any of the kids playing for either Bridge FA or Coastal United Soccer. Also, does that mean he will not attend a single tournament with any of these PLAYERS. Doesn't matter what the tournament is or the name of the team - he will have no contact at all with any of the players.

All i said was that he was no longer affiliated with BridgeFA or Coastal United.Sounds like you have some anger towards him

K
bench
bench
K
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All i said was that he was no longer affiliated with BridgeFA or Coastal United.Sounds like you have some anger towards him

Actually, I wouldn't know the guy if he walked by me. But I have heard of the incident that happened, and it does not give me the warm and fuzzies about the guy.

With that said, your comment that he was no longer affiliated with Bridge or Coastal United gives the impression to folks that he would not have anything to do with those players. So I asked a very pointed question, and got a very slippery NON-answer.

It's not that I have anger, I just don't like answers that are vague and don't answer the question. So your comment that he is no longer affiliated isn't really the truth if he is going to be at any tournaments or training sessions held by those teams.

I guess you could say that I don't like to be mislead. I don't have any anger on any of this, I just like to keep people honest.

Last edited by KidsLoveSoccer; 05/08/09 07:33 PM.
S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Brisson is no longer the head of Bridge FA (check their website), so it won't be him. Many people are quick to judge and just assume there must be hidden agendas and secret motives. I would hope others would be willing to be open to what it is Coastal United FC is trying to accomplish and give it a chance. No, I don't have a child who will be affiliated with the organization, but I wish them the best of luck.

H
kick off
kick off
H
Quote:

Actually, I wouldn't know the guy if he walked by me. But I have heard of the incident that happened, and it does not give me the warm and fuzzies about the guy.

With that said, your comment that he was no longer affiliated with Bridge or Coastal United gives the impression to folks that he would not have anything to do with those players. So I asked a very pointed question, and got a very slippery NON-answer.

It's not that I have anger, I just don't like answers that are vague and don't answer the question. So your comment that he is no longer affiliated isn't really the truth if he is going to be at any tournaments or training sessions held by those teams.

I guess you could say that I don't like to be mislead. I don't have any anger on any of this, I just like to keep people honest.

There aren't many DOC that would give anyone "warm fuzzies".If you have a dog in the hunt ,i would suggest you go play rec. soccer ,if that is what you are looking for. This combine is not about what people have done wrong or right ,it is trying to build kid's soccer programs.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

James Island, Charleston United, Summerville SC, Mt. Pleasant SC, Daniel Island, Cainhoy, Bridge FA, Coast FA, South Carolina United FC, Coastal United FA, merger, alliance, partnership, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

The Lowcountry, and now the entire coastal region, will never get it right. Different names and colors but same old personnel and ideas that last a few years before the need to change again (aka, cover up the inability to do something right)...

Please leave us out of this. I would hardly call our group same old personnel and ideas. I for one have never held office or senior coaching slot at any soccer club in our beautiful landscape. At least give us a chance to screw it up before painting us with the same brush.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
C
Coach
Coach
C
I wouldn't take it personally, Cainhoy...seems there will always be two opposing schools of thought when it comes to youth soccer, and it's not the individuals but the philosophy that comes under attack.

One side favors dominance of a few in the elite arena by making sure that all the best players end up on the same team. Since all of the above can't seem to agree to a single joining-point on their own, the idea is to force this to happen by making sure there is only one place for them all to go--which means eliminating other options. Problem is, by doing this, you reduce the overall number of young athletes who feel they have a chance to get started in the sport.

The other school of thought favors maximum opportunity to reach more players at all ages and levels of the sport; the more young people who get involved and developed, the greater the chances of growing the sport as a whole and of finding and developing the players of greatest potential, as well as providing a broader base of opportunity, popularity, and support. The downside is, as the best naturally rise to the top, there isn't a natural gathering point for them; each individual club that develops players tends to want to expand into the top levels of play, and their top players remains separated from the others at other clubs--so a single dominant team that can compete with consolidated dominant teams from other areas isn't formed.

Seems like an ideal situation would be to provide as many local, inexpensive options as possible to get young people involved in the sport, and a common gathering point for those among them who rise to the top level and wish to compete in the elite arena.

Question (otherwise known as "Ay, there's the rub") is...under whose banner will they unite?

Feel free, of course, to provide any alternate elaborations on the "anything right" that everyone seems to have the "inablilty to do"...seems like there's a lot of "right" being done out there, just not always the "right" that satisfies everyone.

I've got good news and bad news...
G
bench
bench
G
Clark Brisson will only be involved with SC United FC which falls under US Club Soccer. He can not be involved with Bridge or Coastal United FC and I feel that the new Administrators/Board will not allow him to be. Bridge/Coastal United FC has been working very hard to make this needed unity with the other clubs in the coastal area. I'm sure they wouldn't let anyone or anything jeopardize their "new beginning".

C
throw in
throw in
C
It would be nice to see Alan Jackson take the lead and make an announcement about Clark's position in relation to BFA/Coastal United which would allow parents and players the opportunity to decide their affiliation before tryouts are completed and decisions made.

throw in
throw in
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

CUFC = Coastal
CUFC = Columbia
CUFC = Charlotte

Uggh!

I think the SC United is geared toward the older kids and Coastal United is geared toward the academy aged kids.

Hmm..

C
throw in
throw in
C
I see the Ugandan Ganga Pipeline has reopened.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

It would be nice to see Alan Jackson take the lead and make an announcement about Clark's position in relation to BFA/Coastal United which would allow parents and players the opportunity to decide their affiliation before tryouts are completed and decisions made.

I second that request.........

B
Birch Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
B
Bridge FA - Coastal United FC is pleased to announce that Patrick Olalere has joined the club in the capacity of Director of Player Development and Boys Select Director. Patrick brings years of experience in the coaching ranks and has a proven track record of success at every level of involvement in the game. Director of Soccer Jason Birchwood says, "I am very pleased that Patrick and I will be working alongside each other and the rest of the staff while offering the players within the club the very best quality soccer services."

Coaching Experience and License
NSCAA premier license
NSCAA national youth license
USSF national youth license
NSCAA/BSCC South Carolina state liaison
Camp director for Patrick Olalere’s Soccer Camp
Head trainer for Mount Pleasant Youth Soccer Club 1995-1997
Boys Director for Charleston United Soccer Club
Select Teams director for James Island Youth Soccer Club

Playing Accomplishments
Carson Newman College All Time goal scorer
Two time College All American
Veteran APSL: (Fort Lauderdale Strikers)
Veteran USISL: (Charleston Battery)
Charleston Battery 3rd all time goal scorer
Charleston Battery Inaugural Hall of Fame Inductee
1996 USISL top scorer, National Champions
MLS, New England Revolution 12th pick 1997
Nigerian U-17 and U-21 National Team pool player 1987 and 1989
9 years Professional playing career

Birch #119995 05/14/09 06:17 PM
W
goal kick
goal kick
W
Nice mission statement, nice personnel....

Training and locations are also important.

Where will Coastal United (Charleston) train?
Where will Coastal United (North) train?
Where will Coastal United (South) train?

Do any of the locations have any "home" fields for games? Are the local clubs that have "home" fields going to allow Coastal United to use their fields as "home"? Or will all the games have to be away games?

Do any of the locations have any lighted fields for practice? If so how many teams will practice on them at once?
If so, where are they? and will the MB, Sav and Charleston kids take turns traveling out of town to train with their out of town teammates?

There are no lights at the Charleston Battery practice field, no lights at CSU, no lights at Coastal United (North-MB)???

goal
goal
funny...i was at a practice, well after dark, at csu, before high school ball started, and unless the drugs were just really, REALLY good, that field was lit up like nobody's business (heck, i don't even know what kind of drugs would make things all nice and shiny like that, anyway!)

Birch #119997 05/15/09 11:40 AM
O
kick off
kick off
O
Only one club left in town, last Bridge to burn.

Looks like you have picked up a good coach, good luck.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
Quote:

funny...i was at a practice, well after dark, at csu, before high school ball started, and unless the drugs were just really, REALLY good, that field was lit up like nobody's business (heck, i don't even know what kind of drugs would make things all nice and shiny like that, anyway!)

Really?? Was that the stadium or the lawn in front of the school that is used at CSU for practice??

goal
goal
neither. maybe it's time to go back and do a little homework. nice try, though.

R
throw in
throw in
R
so do they have lights at csu or not.why is this hard?

goal
goal
Quote: "funny...i was at a practice, well after dark, at csu, before high school ball started, and unless the drugs were just really, REALLY good, that field was lit up like nobody's business (heck, i don't even know what kind of drugs would make things all nice and shiny like that, anyway!)"

you're right...why is this so difficult?

M
kick off
kick off
M
WHY is this soooo important for you to know???? Will this determines whether or not kids from CESA comes down and play?

Last edited by MPSC#1; 05/15/09 05:14 PM.
R
throw in
throw in
R
Come on dude. Is that all you got.

M
kick off
kick off
M
Just trying to sort things out...Why is it so important for you when it comes to fields and lights?

R
throw in
throw in
R
isn't it odd that one person says there are lights and another says there are not lights? that baffles me.

would you feel better if i said that i was looking to find out if there were no lights so i could use that for cesa purposes? when i jump back on the bandwagon you'll know it, and you will not have to question my motivation.

M
kick off
kick off
M
Even though I don't care....They did have lights. Happy?

goal
goal
parker/mak, i can't speak for anyone else, but i won't ever lie to you, so if i tell you it's so, you can believe it. no need to walk around feeling baffled.

and, again, i can't speak for anyone else, but i know your motivation - it is the same as loc dog's - to destroy anything that is not cesa (i suppose i could have explained that to mpsc earlier, but i thought it was fairly obvious)

what i'm not sure about, though, is whether, when you were a kid, you were the playground bully who never grew out of it; or, you were the kid the bully beat up on, and you're still trying to work through your frustration and anger management issues.

throw in
throw in
Quote:

I wouldn't take it personally, Cainhoy...seems there will always be two opposing schools of thought when it comes to youth soccer, and it's not the individuals but the philosophy that comes under attack.

One side favors dominance of a few in the elite arena by making sure that all the best players end up on the same team. Since all of the above can't seem to agree to a single joining-point on their own, the idea is to force this to happen by making sure there is only one place for them all to go--which means eliminating other options. Problem is, by doing this, you reduce the overall number of young athletes who feel they have a chance to get started in the sport.

The other school of thought favors maximum opportunity to reach more players at all ages and levels of the sport; the more young people who get involved and developed, the greater the chances of growing the sport as a whole and of finding and developing the players of greatest potential, as well as providing a broader base of opportunity, popularity, and support. The downside is, as the best naturally rise to the top, there isn't a natural gathering point for them; each individual club that develops players tends to want to expand into the top levels of play, and their top players remains separated from the others at other clubs--so a single dominant team that can compete with consolidated dominant teams from other areas isn't formed.

Seems like an ideal situation would be to provide as many local, inexpensive options as possible to get young people involved in the sport, and a common gathering point for those among them who rise to the top level and wish to compete in the elite arena.

Question (otherwise known as "Ay, there's the rub") is...under whose banner will they unite?

Feel free, of course, to provide any alternate elaborations on the "anything right" that everyone seems to have the "inablilty to do"...seems like there's a lot of "right" being done out there, just not always the "right" that satisfies everyone.

Got interested in this segment you posted and will quote - "The downside is, as the best naturally rise to the top, there isn't a natural gathering point for them; each individual club that develops players tends to want to expand into the top levels of play, and their top players remains separated from the others.." stopped at that point though you might have had alittle more to say about it...you are right,programs will get to a point where what they have laid out delivers a certain crop of players that will rise to the top..that is an ultimate goal any program would want to have but the question is,what is the program going to do to "up" the performance of the ones that did not make the top cream so they can be just as competative and not only that but if they have learnt what they NEED to learn,possibly bypass the "elite" team members. You will be suprised how many mediocre players have bypassed the "traditional stars" in performance. Only at levels of competition that render it necessary (national team level),does one "mooch" of the cream the crop as they call it.Real programs develop players to be "elite" and do not mooch off already made material.It goes along way when you groom a player.
Thanks for your insightful observation coach Chass.

H
kick off
kick off
H
Can someone send the link for Carolina Girls Soccer out of Myrtle Beach.....can't seem to find it.

J
throw in
throw in
J

O
kick off
kick off
O
After all the state cup results now we can see why these organizations need to group together.

It seems to me that these programs have no record of developing players from their roots but do seem to have a history of recruiting from other clubs, who have and still develop players.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
What programs have no record of developing players?
I thought for the most part the state cup scores were close on Saturday with the exception of two games..Did not see today's results..

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Just checked today's finals and only was game was won by more than two goals..CESA is still dominate for sure but the scores are not dominating..

C
Goal
Goal
C
The U13 Boys Final was 0-0 at half and DISA was leading 1-0 with 18 min. to play. Give CESA credit for playing hard and getting the win.

R
throw in
throw in
R
Thanks for the diagnosis Dr. Phil.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
No problem..Parker!!

R
throw in
throw in
R
CHT: Wasn't for you. I ask about lights and I get assaulted. Where's Coach Chass- the great defender of the oppressed- when I need him?

C
Coach
Coach
C
Sorry, I was facing East and meditating...what did I miss?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
There are no lights at CSU and Coach you just keep facing East and meditating..It was a false alarm but I'm glad that you're ready to strike at any given moment..

C
Coach
Coach
C
Shaolin monk style, brother.

B
kick off
kick off
B
What is it with lights?? Yes there are lights at CSU. Bridge has practiced there many times.

R
throw in
throw in
R
It is, like Pac said, me against the world.

If you guys can't decide if there are lights or not that explains a whole lot of what is wrong in the lowcountry.

Keep facing that way CC. Maybe you can answer this conundrum.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Where are the lights at? I was there this weekend and did not notice any lighting..Granted I was not looking for them.What's the big deal with lights anyway?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I don't think what's wrong in the lowcountry has anything to do with lighting..I wish it was that simple..Now I have to drive by CSU and find these lights I did not see on Saturday.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Must be practicing on the football field..

R
throw in
throw in
R
I don't care if there are lights or not. What fascinates me is why there are so many different answers to a very simple question.

B
kick off
kick off
B
If you must know, the lights are on the practice field locate around the back near the tennis courts. It is a really nice field. We've even seen deer come out to watch some soccer.

B
kick off
kick off
B
That's because you have people who assume they know what they're talking about, but they really don't.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Okay..sorry I did not ride to the BACK of the college..Stop the cat and mouse games..

B
kick off
kick off
B
no cat and mouse game from me, I just decided it was time to finally get a truthful answer out there to the question of lights.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Those who seek lighting but not enlightenment will always wander in darkness.

R
throw in
throw in
R
Right back at ya.

The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Oh Mighty One of the hallways,
Can I snatch the pebble from your hand?

C
Coach
Coach
C
Patience, Grasshopper.

C
Coach
Coach
C
This one seemed relevant to the conversation:

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.
--The Buddha

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

It is, like Pac said, me against the world.

Virtue is not left to stand alone. He who practices it will have neighbors.
--Confucius

goal
goal
parker/mak,

i already told you, all you have to do is ask me, and i will tell you the truth, did i not?

yes, it was a simple question, but obviously one that was interpreted numerous ways.

B
Birch Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
B
U-13 -- U15 Boys and Girls tryouts are still on for today

Regards

Birch #120039 05/18/09 06:44 PM
R
throw in
throw in
R
OK CC. One more round. I know you have to have the last word but this is it for me.

Hell is other people. Sartre

C
Coach
Coach
C
When we see men of a contrary character, we should turn inwards and examine ourselves.
--Confucius

Don't leave now...this is just getting interesting!

C
Coach
Coach
C
I drove past CSU yesterday--soccer practice was taking place on the field in front of the campus adjacent to Hwy. 78. There was no evidence of lighting on that particular field; I looked. By the time I thought about stopping to ask if there was another field in the back that was lighted, I was already on the ramp to I-26 and wasn't turning around.

If it will really make a difference in the success of Lowcountry soccer, next time I pass by I will pull in, grab one of the players or coaches, and ask firsthand.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Coach,
There is a practice field in the back of the complex over behind the gym and tennis courts that has lights..

C
Coach
Coach
C
I believe you.

goal
goal
but you didn't believe me....thanks coach.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Well, now it's a consensus of two, and according to Hartley's First Law of Hallucination, no two people will hallucinate the same thing in the same spot, so if both of you saw it, it must actually be there.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I did not actually see it SOOOO it might not actually be there

C
Coach
Coach
C
Huh...well, there goes the Hartley test...that means there's still the possibility of hallucination...and I think I recall Belligerent speculating on the possibility of drug-induced lighting...

The Lowcountry is still in peril...

D
Goal
Goal
D
Coach Chass, I don't know how long you've been in that part of the country, but you might want to ask the local natives about the "Summerville Light". Sounds like years after they developed the intersection at the Summerville exit, the "Light" is alive and well, relocated just up the road a piece. If you see it, forget the possibility of hallucinations... just run the other way!!!

goal
goal
coach, one of my brothers grew up with a kid named hartley, and they both drank a lot of beer in those days...do you think there's a connection?

C
Coach
Coach
C
This Hartley was a native of Bristol, VA, but otherwise he fits the description. Upon graduating from college, he announced that he was no longer a hillbilly...he was now a Hill William.

S
bench
bench
S
Yes, now we know there is a practice field with lights on the CSU campus. The question is will this practice field be available to soccer practice during football season? I don't think so.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Next time I drive by during practice, I'll try to stop and ask.

B
Birch Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
B
On behalf of the entire Coastal United FC / Bridge FA Staff we would like to thank everyone that came out to our tryouts last week.

It was a tremendous week in terms of numbers and talent.
Our goal is to bring everyone together one last time so that we can make final evaluations and finalize rosters.

We hope that you can attend the final session:

Girls U13--U15 Tuesday - May 26th 5.30pm - 7.30pm Charleston Battery Practice field on Daniel Island

Boys U13--U15 Tuesday - May 26th 5.30pm - 7.30pm Charleston Southern 5.30 - 7.30pm

Girls U16--U18 Wednesday May 27th 5:30pm – 7:30pm Battery Practice Field on Daniel Island.

Boys U16--U18 Wednesday May 27th 5.30pm - 7.30pm Charleston Southern

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Jason Birchwood
Director of Soccer
jbirchwood29@yahoo.com
843-367-3620

Jeff Hoerner
Director of Soccer
jeffhoerner23@embarqmail.com
305-926-1958

Birch #120054 05/30/09 08:29 PM
C
bench
bench
C
I hope that this Club (these United Clubs) can once and for all organize Myrtle Beach and bring to the beach a well run, unbias, Club, administered by people who really know how to run a Club.

I know that Mick and Curtis are quality coaches and trainers, and may very well be the pair that can bring that quality to Myrtle Beach. I have over 30 years of experience coaching and teaching the beautiful game to the youth of 5 different states on the East Coast. I have been involved at both the coaching and administration in these Clubs in Ct., NC and NY. I know how a Club should be organized as I have seen up close and personal clubs like CASL and TFC in North Carolina, and Weston, Wilton and Ridgefield in Ct.

My only hope is that parents can throw off the restraints of the current crop of Travel Clubs (Ie; CoastFA and Longbay SC), and instead, throw their support behind this new and exciting venture. I have been a small part of both of these Clubs, and now, as I am considered "too old" to be of use to either one, I can honestly tell you that CUFC will be the answer for every soccer player and parent in Myrtle Beach.

Please understand that I do not have "a dog in this race." My energies are now concentrated on a new venture as well for Myrtle Beach, a program for special needs kids. You all have a choice to make this weekend, make the correct choice and be part of something special, something that Myrtle Beach parents and players have not seen before, a real soccer club. You have an opportunity, take advantage of it now, before you end up wasting more money in a time when we all need to be very careful with where we spend our hard earned dollars.

Last edited by coachhowie; 05/30/09 08:36 PM.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Coachhowie,
Excellent first post..

C
bench
bench
C
I read through the 10 pages of comments on this new club. There is a lot of interesting and "misinformative" information through the threads of this blog.

1st: Not only Curtis Freeman, but Mick Townsend and myself as well as many other coaches who really understand how to coach soccer and run a club all left CoastFA at one time.

2nd: This current organization has applied to SCYSA and will be approved as I believe that SCYSA wants to see some sanity on the beach.

3rd: Bigger is not always better, but in this case, a well run organization, with good coaches, and an administration that is truly interested in the kids and not the amount of money they can get from the parents in 4 months, is a welcome change here on the beach.

4th: Myrtle Beach should be the Mecca of soccer tournaments. We have the hotels, we have the fields (if schools and Rec. depts will cooperate) and with a club this size we will have the workers to run a quality tournament every other month. We have a new amusement park, shows,and of course the beach where players and parents can be amused, eat well for very little, and enjoy this outstanding vacation spot.

Coldhardtruth: Thanks for the comment, I hope this new club takes hold here and parents realize how they have not really seen how a "real soccer club" operates.

Curtis, Mick, Jason and Jeff: Best of luck to you all and I hope this works.

Parents: Please don't be fooled yet again by inflated numbers and false names on rosters only to have your son or daughter play up 2-3 years because there is not enough players in the club to have single age groups which the NSCAA has promoted for over 10 years. And if you have a daughter, this is the only club (aside from Horry County Rec. and the Grand Strand Y) that provides a real program for girls only. Make the correct choice in the next few days, not for you or the clubs best interest, but for your childs best interest.

Goal
Goal
Do you have a website yet?

B
bench
bench
B
A bitter post from a bitter man . People in Myrtle Beach will consider the source.

C
bench
bench
C
Bitter? not at all, just thankfull. Thankfull that there is a forum like this where parents can see the other side of the coin. For too long parents have been held captive by Clubs and the mystical "spot" on this team or that team only to realize that the true number of players was far less then reported.

Consider the source? I sure hope they do. I know your source, and so does an ever growing group of parents who have already migrated over to CUFC. My guess is that you will have to be contemplating 3 year age groups now to make sure you can lock those parents in and get your money.

With the forming of CUFC and forums like this, knowing parents (AKA Jacques) will be able to inform those unsuspecting parents of what a real club should be. "The truth shall set you free." Unfortunately in your "kingdom" the truth is something like the landline telephone. Outdated, useless and replaced by a better way to communicate. "You can't handle the truth."

C
bench
bench
C
Notsofast: Me personally? or CUFC?

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Coach Howie,

Do you know how many girls teams from the Myrtle Beach area will be in Coastal United FC?

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Notsofast: Me personally? or CUFC?

The club

C
bench
bench
C
Fireant: I am not with Coastal United FC, I just know Curtis very well, and that Mick is a quality person as well. Knowing Curtis and the fact that he has wanted to start his own Girls Only Club for years, I am sure there will be an ample number of teams.

C
bench
bench
C
Notsofast: I really don't know. If you go to Bridge FA might find information there

goal
goal
just for the record, the landline telephone is neither outdated, useless nor has it been replaced by a better way to communicate...
(btw, i do not work for the phone company, just don't agree with that statement)

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Coastal United=CUFC
Columbia United=CUFC
Charlotte United=CUFC
Carolina United=CUFC

How about it Charleston? I'm confused.

corner kick
corner kick
The soccer world lacks in creativity lately. When I open my own club, I shall name it C United Futbol Club and confuse the crap out of everyone! No one will know where we're from, muahahahahahaha...

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Didn't a parent already take that idea for a screen name?

corner kick
corner kick
Bah, spoil my fun won't you? I had all these plans of naming every boys' coach Bob and every girls' coach Jane and no one would ever be sure of anything =(.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Just call it United, and name every coach Pat, regardless of gender.

world cup
world cup
You can't just call it United FC because the UFC acronym is already taken.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
I like your frown but is that a pimple on your chin? ;-)

B
Birch Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
B
Coastal United FC/BFA teams would be posted on Thursday.
Please visit our website at www.bridgefa.com

An announcement would be made as to when the new website would be launched.

Regards

Jason Birchwood
Director of Soccer
jbirchwood29@yahoo.com
843-367-3620

G
bench
bench
G
unlike a lo of people on this board i will not hide behind a fictional name-- i did not even know about this board until a little while ago.
All the derogatory comments tossed around here while hiding is total BS coach howie and everyone else at coastal united good luck just cut the bull and recruiting --my other comment i guess people did consider the source. beachman is correct a bitter comment by bitter man --maybe if you actually coached you would not be a 3 clubs in 3 years good luck!
i least i do not need to make up my own bio:

Home Page
Bio
Coach's Clipboard
Links
Book Review&Contact Info

Howard 'Howie' Thompson was born and raised in Darien, CT. Always a sports fanatic, he played football and baseball in high school and college. As a kicker on the football team at Darien High School, he set the first kicking record and became known as 'Howie, The Toe'.

In college at The University of Tampa, Howie's place-kicking career was cut short by a knee injury. He also was a walk-on pitcher for the varsity baseball team at Tampa.

During the summer between Howie's junior and senior years of college, he was invited to try out for the Dallas Cowboy professional football team. He placed fourth out of sixty kickers that attended the tryout.

Howie obtained his BS in Physical Education from The University of Tampa and a MS in Recreation and Leisure Education from Southern Connecticut State University.

Throughout his years of work in education, recreation and insurance, Howie has coached youth sports including: football, baseball, softball, basketball, lacrosse, and soccer. Howie has established distinction as a soccer coach with the following awards:

3 State Sportsmanship awards (CT, NY, & NC)
3 HS League Coach of the Year awards (NC)
4 NSCAA Adidas Regional Coach of the Year awards
1 NSCAA Adidas National Coach of the Year award

He also obtained a NSCAA National Diploma in Youth Soccer Coaching during the summer, 2006.

Howie is a soccer referee with a NCHSAA Soccer Official certification.

He is an athletic trainer certified by NATA.

In his profession(s), Howie has also been chosen for Who's Who in Executives and Professionals and Who's Who Among American Teachers.

Howie is currently teaching, coaching and writing in North and South Carolina.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
What is your bio?

G
bench
bench
G
i tried out for the new england patriots to replace Tom Brady it says so on my BIO

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Who's bitter?
Sorry that did not work out for you..Tom's hard to beat..

G
bench
bench
G
no bitterness just because he is married to a super model is rich and good looking--i have soccer so maybe he is envious of me--we are arguing over terms of my contract now!! i will advise

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
If it does not work out for you..There is always the Detroit lions.

G
bench
bench
G
never!!!!!!!!!!!! let me think about it

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I don't think Howie's bitin on your comment..
Recruiting? It's recruiting season..

G
bench
bench
G
it was not meant as a sinister comment --it was time delayed from before state cup --sorry you are not in the loop on this one

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
no problem..before state cup I could understand..

G
bench
bench
G
the only reason i started posting was because i think some people thought i was under and alias i just wanted to set the record straight --if i have something to say--say it --do not hide it i have to give howie kudos on this at least he and i are not hiding

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Geno,

Where is your older son playing in the Fall? Did not see his name at MPSC.

G
bench
bench
G
i think with wrestling and cross country running at highschool we are still trying to decide but maybe he will just be guest playing for tourneys in the fall and varsity from there--not sure

thanx for asking

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
You can use your real name or an alias..Does not matter to me..No secret agenda..Just small talk..

G
bench
bench
G
coldhardtruth is that a question if it is you can use your real name---the only point i am trying to make is if someone has a derogatory comment to make to someone--than i do not think they should be hiding, like my parents taught me --if you can not stand behind what you say you should not be saying it thats'all

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
derogatory comment?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Back to the topic at hand..
Teams should be listed tommorrow

C
bench
bench
C
Gee thanks I needed a new publicist. Couldn't buy that kind of publicity. And if you are really concerned about recruiting, and you should be, you might want to look within your own organization. By the way, what was the purpose of listing my bio, anyone who wants it can yahoo/ google me or go onto my website. Been that way for 10 years.

3 clubs in 3 years? Actually 2 organizations that call themselves Club, and now a program for special needs children. Unlike you who has been in the Administration of 3 clubs in 4 years.

G
bench
bench
G
the master of misinformation-

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
For those who want to know..13 girls and 15 girls have been listed so far..

C
bench
bench
C
Gee some of those girls are listed on the website of other clubs, must be a misprint, or someone had misinformation.

T
throw in
throw in
T
What other clubs?

Edited to add:

Checked Summerville, James Island, DISA and MT. Pleasantbut cant seem to find a duplicate. Disa hasn't even posted teams anywhere so what duplicates are there?

Last edited by tigers87; 06/04/09 10:16 PM.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
coastal and MP have duplicates at 17/18 girls..Howie was just taking a poke at gavolpe..

C
bench
bench
C
coldhard: you are so insigthfull. we must have met somewhere.

C
bench
bench
C
tigers87: You see, it is common practice, at least on the beach, to list as many players names or tryout numbers assigned to teams as possible so that parents will think; "OMG, he/she is signed up with this or that club, so I better get my money in asap. The problem comes when, at the first practice, not only are the players listed not there, but now the parents see that there is a 2-3 year age group difference. So, quit you say? well, the parents have just paid a huge chunk of change and have committed their child to play. They will pay the entire years fee by December, and really have nowhere else to go. Cute little trick, one club here does that quite often.

The fact that CUFC will not print a players name until they have check in hand gives them instant credibility.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Or do they only post numbers so that you don't know who is on the team you are assigned to and don't know that after the posting Sally, Judy, etc. didn't accept their team assignment and were replaced with kids that were not originally on the team?

O
kick off
kick off
O
I see that MP and Bridge has several players listed with both clubs

Birch #120101 06/05/09 02:05 PM
O
kick off
kick off
O
I see several players are listed with other clubs, are your lists accurate?

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
It seems like all the clubs have confirmed there list before posting, so we would just have to wait and see what players show up come game time.

How about all the clubs have a preseason exhibit for all to come see the kids on display.
Would be interesting to see the clubs battle for local bragging rights.....

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I'm all about that..Maybe alittle round robin play over a weekend with games at all the venues..No trophies..just play and the clubs might get alittle more exposure..

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Quote:

I'm all about that..Maybe alittle round robin play over a weekend with games at all the venues..No trophies..just play and the clubs might get alittle more exposure..

Hosted by the Charleston Battery.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
It just keeps getting better..

goal
goal
Howie, is it at all possible that clubs post the names with absolutely no ulterior motive other than for the person trying out to see if they "made" a particular team or not?

There is another thread discussing the pros and cons of using names vs numbers on a club's website. I can see both sides, but personally, have no preference. Maybe CUFC listed numbers because at some point in the past, some parent decided they didn't want their child's name on the internet.

And, just because a parent calls and says their child will be on a club's team, doesn't mean they will be on that team. Money is where rubber hits the road. When you write that check, a club knows (for the most part) that you really do plan to be on that team. Until that point in time, it's all speculation.

J
throw in
throw in
J
So how else should a club let parents know that their child, or in my case children, have been accepted to be a part of that club if they so choose? Right now 2 of my daughters are listed on 2 different club rosters. I think I'm keen enough to understand that this is only information and not an attempt to inflate numbers. Or perhaps I'm just naive(sp)?
Sorry...back to the ever-continuing soccu-drama!

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I think numbers work better for evaluators at tryouts..They may not know everyone's name but names are better when players and parents have to decide where they want to play..

M
kick off
kick off
M
Is your lists accurate?

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
Quote:

I see that MP and Bridge has several players listed with both clubs

Maybe because the player HAD to make a decision. Then changed their mind for whatever reason.

throw in
throw in
Quote:

Quote:

Hosted by the Charleston Battery.

Great point.

S
throw in
throw in
S
The perfect opportunity for CB to dip their toe into the pool and show support of youth soccer while cementing their position as an area wide (state wide?) supporter.

And hey Ginio - we still love ya' and your U-15 player. Don't give up on NE Patriots calling you up!

C
bench
bench
C
Belligerent: Of course that is possible, just like Nixon"was not a crook", Bill didn't inhale, and Busch was positive there was WMD.

I like the idea of a general tryout,but that would involve everyone concerned putting their ego aside and they could not pull this parent or that one over and make promises in front of other coaches they know they cannot keep.

Now, in big well organized clubs this is less likely ie; CASL, TFC, TUFC,CESA, Dallas Sting, Chantilly and Richmond Va, etc. etc. This is one major advatage of a big club over a small one. They can have several levels at the same age group and players have the ability to move up and down as their talent dictates, not how the clubs need for money dictates. When 3-4 clubs come together as CUFC has, this becomes the best of all worlds as long as it is run right. The so called "Soccer Experts" that keep those people on their Boards that only agree with their way of seeing controversial issues create Soccer Clubs that are as disfunctional as All in the Family (ooops dated myself there.)

There is not a Nirvana in soccer. No one has the answer for all these issues. But parents should have the ability to see what is right and wrong with a club before laying down $1,000 and committing to another $2,000 in travel, officials, hotels, tournaments etc. The outstanding clubs that I have had the pleausre to be associated with over my 30+ years of coaching always had a Recreation Program second to none, and a series of levels the players could progress through, or remain at as they needed.

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Is there anybody on here with any insight on when this website may be up and running?

C
Goal
Goal
C
The new website is up. http://www.bridgefa.com/

O
kick off
kick off
O
Don't think they update it regularly. I see they still have a girls U14 Challenge team, I thought that team folded over a week ago

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Wow you're really up to date with your information about this club.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard