Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
After watching over 25 girls games from 2-A to 4-A this season, what has happened to the powerhouse programs. Teams like Woodruff, 2-A are knocking off 4-A powers like T.L. Hannah? Not to call out any specific teams but it seems more than ever that on any given night the #1 ranked team can be beaten by a very average team. What gives, whats going on, seems like the quality of players is down this year, any thoughts? My only rational reasoning is that lots of teams have young talent and lots of teams lost quality players to graduation last year. How many of the traditional powerhouses are stronger this year than last?

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Could it also be a possibility that the overall quality of "average" teams is increasing rather than the quality of a few programs' players being down? Perhaps some combination of the two? I've just noticed that whenever a previously dominant team is not as dominant, people always ask what's wrong with that team rather than whether there's something right with their opponents.

I've got good news and bad news...
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Could it also be a possibility that the overall quality of "average" teams is increasing rather than the quality of a few programs' players being down? Perhaps some combination of the two? I've just noticed that whenever a previously dominant team is not as dominant, people always ask what's wrong with that team rather than whether there's something right with their opponents.

Spot on!

goal
goal
Quote:

Teams like Woodruff, 2-A are knocking off 4-A powers like T.L. Hannah?
Quote:

If you look at Woodruff's roster you will find some of your answers, many club player some playing at the highest level in the region. They have been working hard over the last couple of years to put together a quality girls program down there. So in many cases I think we are seeing the effects of club soccer spread to the areas where it was not in the past.

Joe Siatkowski Mauldin Soccer I fear no evil
world cup
world cup
You don't see the traditional powers racking up 20+ wins this year because they only got one game played in the Viking Cup this year. For cosmetic purposes, you should probably add 3 or 4 wins to Mauldin, Wando, Hilton Head and Waccamaw's records.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
L
Goal
Goal
L
last year's senior class was loaded with talent and left some holes for many hs teams across the state. last year's seniors also beat the nc team in the all stars game down in charleston. it will be interesting to see how this year's senior allstars compete against nc.

corner kick
corner kick

Does anybody have this list of South Carolina Allstars they can share with this message board?

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Quote:

Spot on!

Spot on^2

In the past, it only took one or two dominant players to make a domanant team. Now the skill level delta between players has shrunk.
The good players are still good (probable better), but your current "average" player is a lot better than the "average" player of a few years ago.

Good luck to all in the next couple weeks

And remember...

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”
L
Goal
Goal
L
Quote:

Does anybody have this list of South Carolina Allstars they can share with this message board?

last year or this year? i don't think ty is out, yet.

brace
brace
Establishing a commitment to a program, maintaining a consistent coaching staff, and infusing a community with a sense of pride and excellence can be done in soccer. Woodruff had the fortune of a few elite female soccer players in the earliest days and that bred more young girls wanting to be like them. Now at Woodruff, you have a PROGRAM, not a team. Club influences are key also. If an athletic department wants to support a PROGRAM, and not just field teams season after season, this can be done.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard