Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
brace
brace
Coach Young listened to an old man ask questions for three hours one night after he had tucked his little boy in bed and said goodnight to his lovely wife. He listened, even though he has probably forgotten more about soccer than I know. He played, so his insight is perfect. He knows the game.

The intricacies of my individual players, their strengths, weaknesses, etc. - we talked about how everything fit and how it might work and on and on. I had my plan when I got finished. That plan has worked unbelievably.

Nice guy. Great coach. Good friend. Great soccer buddy. Appreciative father. Wife seems to like him a lot.

Thanks.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
World Cup
World Cup
You reading this Ron Johnson? You better appreciate me more and stop calling me 'cheap'!!!

brace
brace
Ron, don't read too much into this. As an old, wise, veteran and counselor, I think he owes you one.

Don't get cocky, Dale. You know your wife won't believe a word of it...

brace
brace
I'm here for the Girls HS Soccer Party

Where can I park my Beamer and my cooler?

Hot N Ready - 5 Minutes or less.
brace
brace
Quote:

Quote:

I would not pay too much attention to last regular season game scores when played out of region. For some coaches it might have been an opportunity to rest key players (avoid injuries) and give non-starters some more playing time before playoffs begin. I am not saying that this is what happened in the TLH - Woodruff game. I was not there. Greatest respect for Sr. Gomez' achievements over several years.

IT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED FOR HANNA, and Woodruff played a great game as they always do. Casey Craft DID NOT PLAY for Hanna (hint, she's pretty good), and they rested several players for playoffs. To Hanna, playoffs are pretty important. Choosing to save your best for playoffs is an option that winners choose. For Woodruff, winning every contest is pretty important. I like both choices. Don't read too much into it.

For the record, WHS played without two starters as well. . .

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
L
throw in
throw in
L
I agree that the overall quality of the girl's programs seems to be higher. I also agree that the average quality of the individual player is higher. I have watched literally hundreds of girls develop since I became an involved parent when my daugthter was a U8 (more than ten years ago). (It would be an interesting exercise to go back and count the matches and teams I have been fortunate to watch and search through the players now in lead roles.) I credit the club programs combined with more long term consistency in HS coaching and in high school girls program development. I believe we used to have strong individual players come through more or less spotty and/or developing club programs where individuals stood out both in club and high school. Now with better overall club development across the state there are many more strong players and the overall skill level of the average players is much higher. I also think that the "spottiness" is probably over and a consistent higher level of players will continue.

brace
brace
My theory is that the schools that have 30 premier kids try out every year are always going to be good. No brains necessary to figure that out.

But, then all of the other kids play against those kids and figure out what they need to do. More and more of them want to play this game, so the numbers really do show up eventually if you have a program that is fun to play in, wins consistently, and has class and respect. The kids want to be a part, and the parents want them to.

So my opinion is that the bass on top will always be bass. The huge coggle of catfish on the bottom is shrinking, and there are more perch who are trying to become bass. And a few of those perch are getting big enough so that the bass are afraid they may be eaten and they aren't hanging around the perch.

That is a really bad fishing analogy, but I am old so who cares. And I just made up the "coggle" thing. I don't know what a bunch of catfish are called, but let's start something here.

Congrats to the teams who are making something out of soccer life that is fun, good, and will be remembered as worthwhile in their lives. And kudos to the coaches (and parents) who make it happen.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Quote:

But, then all of the other kids play against those kids and figure out what they need to do. More and more of them want to play this game, so the numbers really do show up eventually if you have a program that is fun to play in, wins consistently, and has class and respect. The kids want to be a part, and the parents want them to.

I think you're right...this is a big part of it. The players who don't have the opportunities to play at the higher club levels (or play club at all, for that matter) are still learning from competition with the players who do. Some programs that have few year-round players and none above Classic are still getting closer to the programs who do...and I think you're right, it's all about having something they WANT to be a part of and be proud of.

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard