Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
After watching over 25 girls games from 2-A to 4-A this season, what has happened to the powerhouse programs. Teams like Woodruff, 2-A are knocking off 4-A powers like T.L. Hannah? Not to call out any specific teams but it seems more than ever that on any given night the #1 ranked team can be beaten by a very average team. What gives, whats going on, seems like the quality of players is down this year, any thoughts? My only rational reasoning is that lots of teams have young talent and lots of teams lost quality players to graduation last year. How many of the traditional powerhouses are stronger this year than last?

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Could it also be a possibility that the overall quality of "average" teams is increasing rather than the quality of a few programs' players being down? Perhaps some combination of the two? I've just noticed that whenever a previously dominant team is not as dominant, people always ask what's wrong with that team rather than whether there's something right with their opponents.

I've got good news and bad news...
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Could it also be a possibility that the overall quality of "average" teams is increasing rather than the quality of a few programs' players being down? Perhaps some combination of the two? I've just noticed that whenever a previously dominant team is not as dominant, people always ask what's wrong with that team rather than whether there's something right with their opponents.

Spot on!

goal
goal
Quote:

Teams like Woodruff, 2-A are knocking off 4-A powers like T.L. Hannah?
Quote:

If you look at Woodruff's roster you will find some of your answers, many club player some playing at the highest level in the region. They have been working hard over the last couple of years to put together a quality girls program down there. So in many cases I think we are seeing the effects of club soccer spread to the areas where it was not in the past.

Joe Siatkowski Mauldin Soccer I fear no evil
world cup
world cup
You don't see the traditional powers racking up 20+ wins this year because they only got one game played in the Viking Cup this year. For cosmetic purposes, you should probably add 3 or 4 wins to Mauldin, Wando, Hilton Head and Waccamaw's records.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
L
Goal
Goal
L
last year's senior class was loaded with talent and left some holes for many hs teams across the state. last year's seniors also beat the nc team in the all stars game down in charleston. it will be interesting to see how this year's senior allstars compete against nc.

corner kick
corner kick

Does anybody have this list of South Carolina Allstars they can share with this message board?

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Quote:

Spot on!

Spot on^2

In the past, it only took one or two dominant players to make a domanant team. Now the skill level delta between players has shrunk.
The good players are still good (probable better), but your current "average" player is a lot better than the "average" player of a few years ago.

Good luck to all in the next couple weeks

And remember...

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”
L
Goal
Goal
L
Quote:

Does anybody have this list of South Carolina Allstars they can share with this message board?

last year or this year? i don't think ty is out, yet.

brace
brace
Establishing a commitment to a program, maintaining a consistent coaching staff, and infusing a community with a sense of pride and excellence can be done in soccer. Woodruff had the fortune of a few elite female soccer players in the earliest days and that bred more young girls wanting to be like them. Now at Woodruff, you have a PROGRAM, not a team. Club influences are key also. If an athletic department wants to support a PROGRAM, and not just field teams season after season, this can be done.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Quote:

last year's senior class was loaded with talent and left some holes for many hs teams across the state. last year's seniors also beat the nc team in the all stars game down in charleston. it will be interesting to see how this year's senior allstars compete against nc.

I agree. Alix, Alli, Ashleigh, Caitlin, Ellison, Hannah, Jamie, Kendall, Kira, Olivia, Sandi, Sarah are tough to replace.

Last edited by live and learn; 05/08/09 01:12 PM.
brace
brace
Quote:

Establishing a commitment to a program, maintaining a consistent coaching staff, and infusing a community with a sense of pride and excellence can be done in soccer. Woodruff had the fortune of a few elite female soccer players in the earliest days and that bred more young girls wanting to be like them. Now at Woodruff, you have a PROGRAM, not a team. Club influences are key also. If an athletic department wants to support a PROGRAM, and not just field teams season after season, this can be done.

Someone Who Cares>Hard work>Success>Pride>Program. Right on, brother!

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I would not pay too much attention to last regular season game scores when played out of region. For some coaches it might have been an opportunity to rest key players (avoid injuries) and give non-starters some more playing time before playoffs begin. I am not saying that this is what happened in the TLH - Woodruff game. I was not there. Greatest respect for Sr. Gomez' achievements over several years.

L
Goal
Goal
L
cc good post......and if you need an example from the opposite side just look at ac flora and dreher. both schools have been just fielding a team and going through the motions over the last 5 years and not developing a program. yes, both teams in the past have had a some talented players but it was just luck not a result of coaching or trying to develop a program. now there are just a handful of players at both schools that are playing club ball. i don’t see either school being a factor in the near future.

brace
brace
Quote:

I would not pay too much attention to last regular season game scores when played out of region. For some coaches it might have been an opportunity to rest key players (avoid injuries) and give non-starters some more playing time before playoffs begin. I am not saying that this is what happened in the TLH - Woodruff game. I was not there. Greatest respect for Sr. Gomez' achievements over several years.

IT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED FOR HANNA, and Woodruff played a great game as they always do. Casey Craft DID NOT PLAY for Hanna (hint, she's pretty good), and they rested several players for playoffs. To Hanna, playoffs are pretty important. Choosing to save your best for playoffs is an option that winners choose. For Woodruff, winning every contest is pretty important. I like both choices. Don't read too much into it.

brace
brace
For a frame of reference: After Woodruff started the girls program, I recall vividly standing on the sidelines at a Woodruff-CC match. The CC keeper stood at MIDFIELD and CC pummeled WHS 10-0. . .no contest. Today, I believe WHS can compete with virtually any team in the state, although it is likely they still should lose to powerful 4A, 3A, and private schools. A commitment to program includes moving from 10-0 loses to same-size (and smaller) schools, to scheduling and playing competitively with all classifications.

brace
brace
Agreed. Plus kids who learn how to play soccer and reduce goals against from 79 (2006) to 55 (2007) to 39 (2008) to 14 (2009) like Blue Ridge has accomplished.. That works too. And to think, all because of one telephone conversation with Coach Young!

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Agreed. Plus kids who learn how to play soccer and reduce goals against from 79 (2006) to 55 (2007) to 39 (2008) to 14 (2009) like Blue Ridge has accomplished.. That works too. And to think, all because of one telephone conversation with Coach Young!

Playing defense, I can do. Scoring goals? We need Rose and CJ!

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Feels good, doesn't it?

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
must have been a special conversation, rollie...wish i could have been in on it.

brace
brace
Coach Young listened to an old man ask questions for three hours one night after he had tucked his little boy in bed and said goodnight to his lovely wife. He listened, even though he has probably forgotten more about soccer than I know. He played, so his insight is perfect. He knows the game.

The intricacies of my individual players, their strengths, weaknesses, etc. - we talked about how everything fit and how it might work and on and on. I had my plan when I got finished. That plan has worked unbelievably.

Nice guy. Great coach. Good friend. Great soccer buddy. Appreciative father. Wife seems to like him a lot.

Thanks.

World Cup
World Cup
You reading this Ron Johnson? You better appreciate me more and stop calling me 'cheap'!!!

brace
brace
Ron, don't read too much into this. As an old, wise, veteran and counselor, I think he owes you one.

Don't get cocky, Dale. You know your wife won't believe a word of it...

brace
brace
I'm here for the Girls HS Soccer Party

Where can I park my Beamer and my cooler?

Hot N Ready - 5 Minutes or less.
brace
brace
Quote:

Quote:

IT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED FOR HANNA, and Woodruff played a great game as they always do. Casey Craft DID NOT PLAY for Hanna (hint, she's pretty good), and they rested several players for playoffs. To Hanna, playoffs are pretty important. Choosing to save your best for playoffs is an option that winners choose. For Woodruff, winning every contest is pretty important. I like both choices. Don't read too much into it.

For the record, WHS played without two starters as well. . .

L
throw in
throw in
L
I agree that the overall quality of the girl's programs seems to be higher. I also agree that the average quality of the individual player is higher. I have watched literally hundreds of girls develop since I became an involved parent when my daugthter was a U8 (more than ten years ago). (It would be an interesting exercise to go back and count the matches and teams I have been fortunate to watch and search through the players now in lead roles.) I credit the club programs combined with more long term consistency in HS coaching and in high school girls program development. I believe we used to have strong individual players come through more or less spotty and/or developing club programs where individuals stood out both in club and high school. Now with better overall club development across the state there are many more strong players and the overall skill level of the average players is much higher. I also think that the "spottiness" is probably over and a consistent higher level of players will continue.

brace
brace
My theory is that the schools that have 30 premier kids try out every year are always going to be good. No brains necessary to figure that out.

But, then all of the other kids play against those kids and figure out what they need to do. More and more of them want to play this game, so the numbers really do show up eventually if you have a program that is fun to play in, wins consistently, and has class and respect. The kids want to be a part, and the parents want them to.

So my opinion is that the bass on top will always be bass. The huge coggle of catfish on the bottom is shrinking, and there are more perch who are trying to become bass. And a few of those perch are getting big enough so that the bass are afraid they may be eaten and they aren't hanging around the perch.

That is a really bad fishing analogy, but I am old so who cares. And I just made up the "coggle" thing. I don't know what a bunch of catfish are called, but let's start something here.

Congrats to the teams who are making something out of soccer life that is fun, good, and will be remembered as worthwhile in their lives. And kudos to the coaches (and parents) who make it happen.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Quote:

But, then all of the other kids play against those kids and figure out what they need to do. More and more of them want to play this game, so the numbers really do show up eventually if you have a program that is fun to play in, wins consistently, and has class and respect. The kids want to be a part, and the parents want them to.

I think you're right...this is a big part of it. The players who don't have the opportunities to play at the higher club levels (or play club at all, for that matter) are still learning from competition with the players who do. Some programs that have few year-round players and none above Classic are still getting closer to the programs who do...and I think you're right, it's all about having something they WANT to be a part of and be proud of.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard