Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Quote:

last year's senior class was loaded with talent and left some holes for many hs teams across the state. last year's seniors also beat the nc team in the all stars game down in charleston. it will be interesting to see how this year's senior allstars compete against nc.

I agree. Alix, Alli, Ashleigh, Caitlin, Ellison, Hannah, Jamie, Kendall, Kira, Olivia, Sandi, Sarah are tough to replace.

Last edited by live and learn; 05/08/09 01:12 PM.
brace
brace
Quote:

Establishing a commitment to a program, maintaining a consistent coaching staff, and infusing a community with a sense of pride and excellence can be done in soccer. Woodruff had the fortune of a few elite female soccer players in the earliest days and that bred more young girls wanting to be like them. Now at Woodruff, you have a PROGRAM, not a team. Club influences are key also. If an athletic department wants to support a PROGRAM, and not just field teams season after season, this can be done.

Someone Who Cares>Hard work>Success>Pride>Program. Right on, brother!

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I would not pay too much attention to last regular season game scores when played out of region. For some coaches it might have been an opportunity to rest key players (avoid injuries) and give non-starters some more playing time before playoffs begin. I am not saying that this is what happened in the TLH - Woodruff game. I was not there. Greatest respect for Sr. Gomez' achievements over several years.

L
Goal
Goal
L
cc good post......and if you need an example from the opposite side just look at ac flora and dreher. both schools have been just fielding a team and going through the motions over the last 5 years and not developing a program. yes, both teams in the past have had a some talented players but it was just luck not a result of coaching or trying to develop a program. now there are just a handful of players at both schools that are playing club ball. i don’t see either school being a factor in the near future.

brace
brace
Quote:

I would not pay too much attention to last regular season game scores when played out of region. For some coaches it might have been an opportunity to rest key players (avoid injuries) and give non-starters some more playing time before playoffs begin. I am not saying that this is what happened in the TLH - Woodruff game. I was not there. Greatest respect for Sr. Gomez' achievements over several years.

IT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED FOR HANNA, and Woodruff played a great game as they always do. Casey Craft DID NOT PLAY for Hanna (hint, she's pretty good), and they rested several players for playoffs. To Hanna, playoffs are pretty important. Choosing to save your best for playoffs is an option that winners choose. For Woodruff, winning every contest is pretty important. I like both choices. Don't read too much into it.

brace
brace
For a frame of reference: After Woodruff started the girls program, I recall vividly standing on the sidelines at a Woodruff-CC match. The CC keeper stood at MIDFIELD and CC pummeled WHS 10-0. . .no contest. Today, I believe WHS can compete with virtually any team in the state, although it is likely they still should lose to powerful 4A, 3A, and private schools. A commitment to program includes moving from 10-0 loses to same-size (and smaller) schools, to scheduling and playing competitively with all classifications.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
brace
brace
Agreed. Plus kids who learn how to play soccer and reduce goals against from 79 (2006) to 55 (2007) to 39 (2008) to 14 (2009) like Blue Ridge has accomplished.. That works too. And to think, all because of one telephone conversation with Coach Young!

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Agreed. Plus kids who learn how to play soccer and reduce goals against from 79 (2006) to 55 (2007) to 39 (2008) to 14 (2009) like Blue Ridge has accomplished.. That works too. And to think, all because of one telephone conversation with Coach Young!

Playing defense, I can do. Scoring goals? We need Rose and CJ!

C
Coach
Coach
C
Feels good, doesn't it?

I've got good news and bad news...
J
corner kick
corner kick
J
must have been a special conversation, rollie...wish i could have been in on it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard