Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 20 1 2 18 19 20
Belligerent #120451 05/23/09 03:33 PM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Someone's always going to have a problem with the top dog..That happens in every sport..Whether good or bad people talk about the club because they are on top..It's when people are no longer talking about your club..That's when there might be a problem..Take SSC for instance..No one is talking about them..Posters have tried to generate a dialouge about the club..But no one is interested..

C
Coach
Coach
C
Mak,

I have to wonder...do you and I know each other from somewhere out there in the world? You seem to think everything I say is a personal attack on you, even when it's an attempt to simply show both sides of an issue. The statements I've made about quality, development, recruiting, etc. were general ones that can be applied to any club...the same rationale about tryouts and accepting good players who have already been developed elsewhere could be said about clubs like Bridge as well. Doesn't mean I have anything against Bridge, either--just qualifying any claims that any one establishment is the "only" place to develop into a good player. You seem to like to be the aggressor, and then when that doesn't work out well, play the victim, rather than actually reason through both sides of a discussion. Check Shibumi's post, among others, for good examples of rational and effective discourse.

Here's what I see, so there is no further room for misconception. Brace yourself, Mak.

CESA provides a lot of great opportunities for soccer players who are serious about their game--opportunities that are harder to find elsewhere at this point. They have a very successful program and have created an environment that, based on testimonials, players have enjoyed being a part of. Some players and parents are willing to travel great distances at considerable expense to take advantage of these opportunities that CESA has the size, structure, and reputation to provide, and for those who can benefit from it, this is a GOOD thing.

As for development, I don't get to personally watch training programs all over the state (although, what a great full-time job that would be!), but here are my conclusions based on the arguments made here. It's been stated that CESA has tryouts and has high standards for players who make their teams, which is appropriate for a club that focuses on high levels of competitive play. So, if players are advancing through the age groups within the CESA ranks and continue to meet the standards for competition, it's reasonable to say that there is good player development happening at CESA. If players are coming in from other areas of the state from other clubs and are meeting the same standards to qualify for selection on CESA's competitive teams, then it's reasonable to say that there must be equally good player development happening in other places.

Here lies the point of contention; I don't think anyone would deny that CESA has created something that is very successful and beneficial to soccer players here in SC. The problem I see is when people want to imply or insist that ANY one club is the ONLY place to go for opportunities and development. For every player who has enjoyed the benefits that CESA is able to provide, there are many more who don't have the opportunity to take advantage of a single club in the Upstate, yet whenever anyone else tries to create other opportunities to serve a broader group of young people in the state, there are those who try to do nothing but put them down, belittle the efforts, and undermine the foundation of anything that might attempt to eventually compete with the current frontrunner, and I find that attitude to be selfish and counterproductive to SC soccer as a whole. I see no reason our state can't produce more than one highly-successful soccer club that can provide opportunity and an environment players can be proud to be a part of, and I would think that anyone truly concerned about the overall success of soccer in SC would be all for reaching more players in more areas with more opportunities for more success, rather than just saying "if you want to succeed, come to this one spot; if you can't come here, well, tough...you're just going to be second-rate." If the problem is that things have been royally botched in other areas (not saying they have or haven't), then it would be a lot more productive and unselfish to offer ideas and encouragement to get it right, rather than bashing and suggesting that other areas should just give up. Those are the attitudes I'd like to see change, and if that means pointing out sometimes that the most successful club in the state isn't the ONLY possibility for creating something successful, please don't take it personally. Please believe me, it's not anti-CESA; it's just anti-monopoly.

And Mak, if I know you from somewhere in the past and unwittingly did something to wrong you personally--took your favorite seat in class, stole your parking spot, actually asked out that girl you were trying to work up the courage to talk to--I had no idea, and I sincerely apologize.

If it makes you feel any better, she didn't work out so well for me either.

I've got good news and bad news...
J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Coach and Shibumi,

Thank you both for well thought out, positive posts. How refreshing.

JAK #120454 05/23/09 06:51 PM
goal
goal

Seriously - more refreshing than a v8 (drink or engine).

Coach, you said the stuff I was thinkin I was writin, but apparently I was only thinkin it, and writin somethin different, cause while it was soundin like what I was thinkin, it wasn't lookin like what I was writin.

And I wouldn't lie to you about that, either...

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Quote:

Coach, you said the stuff I was thinkin I was writin, but apparently I was only thinkin it, and writin somethin different, cause while it was soundin like what I was thinkin, it wasn't lookin like what I was writin.

Now that made me laugh out loud. Funny stuff

Page 20 of 20 1 2 18 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard