Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Not all..but most teams struggle in Premier play.What we hope for is to close the gap between teams each season

Last edited by coldhardtruth; 05/12/09 04:32 PM.
J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Quote:

So what you are saying is the world cup or March Madness or whatever in Basketball should reseed every step in order to keep the higher seeds going? Should the Giants replay the superbowl win over the Patriots because the Patriots were clearly better?

What you are also saying is that a team that is "known" to be "better" but faltered during the season should be seeded higher at the start?

it is a known fact at the beginning of the season that is 1 vs 8, 4 vs5 on one side and 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6 on the other.

you bring your game every time, you lose you go home. There is nothing "fair" about it...

I think you totally mis-understand the concept of re-seeding. It is done in some playoffs, but not all. For example, it is done in professional baseball, basketball and hockey, but not the NFL.

It is totally objective and based on regular season results. The only change from the current method of state cup would be that, when entering the semi-finals, the highest remaining seed would play the lowest remaining seed and the two middle seeds would play.

Neither method is right, neither method is wrong, but neither method is unfair either. Re-seeding simply better rewards regular season results.

I only mentioned it because reseeding provides a better approach to trying to have the two best teams as finalists, which only matters if the two finalists automatically go to PL. If this is the case, I think you should always reseed the winners each round to improve the possibility that the two best remaining teams will play in the finals.

But if a state committee gets to decide that the 3rd place team better represents the state in PL than the second place team, it doesn't really matter, does it?

I personally would prefer it get re-seeded after the first round and that the two finalists go to PL. That approach provides a more objective method and lets the kids determine the best two teams on the field, not a group in a room.

Last edited by JAK; 05/12/09 05:09 PM.
JAK #120283 05/12/09 06:10 PM
brace
brace
Who would have bet on the Giants to win 2 out of 3?? 4 of 7 ect. Sometimes the better team loses a game to a "less better" (not wanting to dis anyone) but in the long run better teams will perform better and thus regular season records might be a better indication of who is a better team when multiple games are played against the same opponents.

R
throw in
throw in
R
CHT:
CESA boys premier teams from U14-18: 24-9-11
CESA girls premier teams from U14-18: 18-20-6
CUFC boys:8-8-2
CUFC girls: 4-28-1
Bridge boys: 0-9-0
Bridge girls: 1-9-1

This from last season

R
throw in
throw in
R
Addendum:
CESA Challenge: Two teams boys and girls combined: 0-15-2
DSC: 4-1-1

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
First of all lets make it clear.... Number 1 and 2 are automatically in the R3PL unless they cannot play at which point number 3 and so on have first dibs. Recently R3PL has been looking at 12 teams per league which means in a 4 state league the top 3, however they have "recognized" not all number 3s are equal.

A knockout round is used in the olympics and many major tournaments, not everyone can be wrong....

JAK #120287 05/12/09 07:10 PM
M
kick off
kick off
M
JAK.... They have no clue what we are talking about. The top seed should always play the lowest seed. The way its fomated now the top 2 remaining seeds (1 & 4)should not be playing each other before the championship. The number 1 seeded team earned the spot and their reward is to play the lowest seeded team until they lose or win the championship. If you want to use the Superbowl as your example, the top seeded teams have a bye week, home field and they play the lowest seeded team until they win the championship or lose, when they lose the next highest seeded team becomes the top seed.This is how the State Cup format should be, if we are going to use seedings to start the tourny. The seeding for the U13 boys Challenge should look like this.

week 1 (05/09/09)

1 vs 8 (1 bet 8)
2 vs 7 (7 bet 2)
3 vs 6 (6 bet 3)
4 vs 5 (4 bet 5)

week 2 (5/16/09)

1 vs 7
4 vs 6

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
mustangs,

you are using the NFL as justification,but more sports use a normal tournament format. The NCAA basketball tournament is an example. You could be the 1 seed and face the 8 and 4 seeds, while the 15 (if they beat the 2) could potentially play the 10 and 6 before meeting the 1. Most tournament are set up the way you have it to start, but don't re-align the seedings based on who wins, it is just too time consuming. It also allows for a "cinderella". If the 1 seed is truely the 1 seed then it shouldn't be a problem anyway.

brace
brace
How do they do it in England? Here is an answer I found

"The league below the English Premier League is called the Coca-Cola Championship. The Championship has 24 teams in the league where 3 go up to the Premier League and 3 go down to League 1. The teams which finish 1st and 2nd go up and so do 1 of the teams in the play offs, which is between 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th."

Not sure who this is worked out in playoffs but I would guess they use a bye week to get to 4 teams and last of 3,4,5,6 standing moves up. (I could be wrong, as my wife often points out to me!)

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Just because a 6 or 7 seed makes the final does not require it to take the Premier League spot. Look at the 14 girls from SAA. Last year they made the finals as a lower seed and decided to enter the PL. They only scored one goal and gave up 65 during Premier League play. Looking back, should they have taken the PL spot? Will it be wise for both of the u13 boys and u14 girls finalists to take a PL spot?

I think Loc Dog may be onto something here (it is not often I can say that!) but he has a good point--maybe we as a state should probably ONLY send one team to Premier league play--in the fall we had FIVE of our "second" teams without a win in all of league play.

On the boys side--Cesa 90 Challenge 0-5-1 (2 goals for--20 goals against) and Bridge 92 Gold 0-9-0 (4 for--38 against) but in Bridge 92 defense their team lost some players to the Academy.

On the girls side--CUFC 90 0-11-0 (5 for--42 against); CESA Premier 91 0-10-1 (6 for--43 against); CESA Challenge 93 0-10-1 (4 for--49 against).

And now we are talking about sending a "third" team? Who are we kidding!

Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard