Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 20 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Arse ... Close but no cigar! Actually, kudos for getting so close. But yet, you still miss the point. Just broaden your outlook and you might hit the target!!

JAK #120412 05/22/09 02:51 AM
throw in
throw in
Quote:

Quote:

Cesa is all about winning state even more than development, that why players only have to attend one practice per week if they live outside the Greenville araea.

Quote:

The error of your thinking is that you assume development occurs more at practice than at games and that teamwork happens from practicing together, not a player mindset.

As the kids get older, a HUGE part of their development comes from playing in the R3PL games. At least that is the case if you are competitive. As I noted elsewhere, if you can't compete in the games, then it probably does more harm than good.

JAK,interesting points you made above. Would be compelled to say that a combination of (if possible..more than one practice session a week) for team practices and exposure at the above named games would be more viable and development oriented than one session and several R3PL games.

Quote:

As the kids get older, a HUGE part of their development comes from playing in the R3PL games. At least that is the case if you are competitive. As I noted elsewhere, if you can't compete in the games, then it probably does more harm than good.

You just might wanna revise the above statement abit because if the proper development methods were being used,the scenario you stated above would be very unlikely.

Quote:

I have also seen players who attend one practice a week who play a great team game while others are at every practice and don't have a clue about teamwork. It's more about the players personality than the number of days they are at practice.

It is abit hard to iron out the above as it draws several aspects of development but summarily stated,real progressional soccer development=Practice AS A TEAM(the more practices the better)+ Involvement in competative leagues/tournaments.

Quote:

Would it be better if the entire team could be at every practice? Of course. But does it mean the club is not interested in development? I would disagree.

goal
goal
JAK, did you really say the following: "The error of your thinking is that you assume development occurs more at practice than at games and that teamwork happens from practicing together, not a player mindset."

were you being serious? you are suggesting that thinking "that teamwork happens from practicing together" is "NOT a player mindset"? what player or players are telling you this?

NOTHING can replace practice. sure, players improve by competing and challenging themselves in high-level games, but that does not make up for practice.

"I have also seen players who attend one practice a week who play a great team game while others are at every practice and don't have a clue about teamwork." well, sure, that just shows the difference in the skill levels of those players. there are plenty of really good players who can just show up for games and still do better than most of their team...but that can only go on for so long. eventually, others will catch up to him, and the lack of time spent with his team will show.

do you think professional players have gotten so good at that point in their lives that they don't need to practice? that they can just show up and play, as long as they "are competitive"?

teamwork comes from time spent playing together....period.

any player who practices with his team only once a week, while the rest of the team practices together three or more times a week, but thinks that one day with them is sufficient, or that he can make up for the lack of practicing with them with personal training is disillusioned. He is cheating not only his team, but his teammates.

throw in
throw in
Quote:

JAK, did you really say the following: "The error of your thinking is that you assume development occurs more at practice than at games and that teamwork happens from practicing together, not a player mindset."

were you being serious? you are suggesting that thinking "that teamwork happens from practicing together" is "NOT a player mindset"? what player or players are telling you this?

NOTHING can replace practice. sure, players improve by competing and challenging themselves in high-level games, but that does not make up for practice.

Quote:

"I have also seen players who attend one practice a week who play a great team game while others are at every practice and don't have a clue about teamwork." well, sure, that just shows the difference in the skill levels of those players. there are plenty of really good players who can just show up for games and still do better than most of their team...but that can only go on for so long. eventually, others will catch up to him, and the lack of time spent with his team will show.

I have to second you on that one Bell,you are definately right,it does catch up with them.Dissecting that point to the most likely imediate level of play after club ball...college ball,a good number usually end up quitting soccer after the first semester or two despite being all tournament e.t.c at club level and the only ones left wondering what happened besides the player are really the parents questioning how this could have come about.Meanwhile at that time,not only will there not be worthwhile answers from the previous game tutors (if you even get any response) but forums like this don't quite exist.Witnessed several cases in the day. Said it before, everybody has got a choice in all this but just don't be suprised.Of course best wishes to all the lads that they successfully make it to through that level.

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
I stand completely by my statements (as made and intended, not as bastardized).

Of course practice is required and an important part of development at every level. I never said it wasn't.

My point was two-fold:

1. Development comes from both practice and playing and, depending on the players current level and the quality of options in the area, some kids will develop more by practicing with the entire team out of town once a week and also playing games at a very high level than practicing 3-4 times a week and playing at a lower level. It totally depends on the child, their current level and what is available as an alternative. Life isn't black and white. There is a lot of grey. Using an analogy, putting a math genius (highly skilled player) into math 101 (i.e. practice on a lower level team) everyday will not help them develop their math skills more than putting them into a job (i.e. game) where on weekends they are totally challenged. The best way for them to develop depends on a lot of factors, not just how many days a week they practice.

2. Some people are team players while some people are not. And I have personally witnessed players who only practice once a week with their team be the best team players while I've seen players who practice with their team every day not be good team players.

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
>> JAK,interesting points you made above. Would be compelled to say that a combination of (if possible..more than one practice session a week) for team practices and exposure at the above named games would be more viable and development oriented than one session and several R3PL games.<<

Yes, it is better to practice three times and play at a high level than practice once and play at a high level. As I said above, I think it is a case-by-case situation and there are more factors than just how many days of practice.

>>You just might wanna revise the above statement abit because if the proper development methods were being used,the scenario you stated above would be very unlikely.<<

I won't revise it, but I do know what you are saying. From what I've seen, playing at that high level is a very, very important development aspect. Practice just never truly simulates a highly skilled opponent wanted to beat you and a large part of development at the higher level comes from learning to play faster and stronger against those determined and skilled players.

>> It is abit hard to iron out the above as it draws several aspects of development but summarily stated,real progressional soccer development=Practice AS A TEAM(the more practices the better)+ Involvement in competative leagues/tournaments.<<

Of course that is best if available. But it isn't always available. Sometimes you have to travel outside your area to get the competative leagues and my point is that the number of days of practice is not the sole factor to consider.

JAK #120417 05/22/09 12:17 PM
B
kick off
kick off
B
I think the saying goes "Practice Makes Perfect", not Driving to Greenville.
Its kind of funny that the best athletes in the world are fined if they miss preseason or spring training and we are even discussing how a teenagers motivation will make them better player.
If you are happy with your decision then that is all that matters, but you cant justify with doubletalk.

goal
goal
a few years ago, i heard what i believe to be a better and more appropriate saying:

Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

because if you're practicing something the "wrong" way, it will only hurt you.

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Post deleted by JAK

JAK #120420 05/22/09 12:40 PM
C
throw in
throw in
C
I have decided to let my children stay home and skip practice. I have ordered all the FIFA Playstation games instead. They Really, Really, Really want to play and win so they should be on MLS by next month.
Suckers.

Page 16 of 20 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard