Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#120967 05/14/09 11:53 AM
M
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
M
So far 21 out of 24 correct in 4A brackets.

TL Hanna
Mauldin

Fort Mill
Dorman

Summerville
West Ashley

Wando
Lexington

S
bench
bench
S
Does anyone know how the state picks which referees do playoff games? From the looks of the first 2 rounds they just take any John Doe off the street that shows up.

To a lot of people these games are just high school kids playing a game, so what. But to the kids on the teams this means a lot to them and they deserve to have referees that are capable of doing a good job. Does the state have any kind of training that these referees go to on an ongoing basis or do they just take the 8 hour class and are turned loose on fields all over the state.

I really don't say any of this to be mean. I just think all of these yound adults deserve better than what I see game after game. State Playoff games are not the place for referees to be doing On The Job Training.

World Cup
World Cup
Guru, I found this post from you a little while ago. Do you stand by your State Championship prediction? Hanna is looking sharp...

"
Olivia Bair is the second coming of Amy Davis on the D Line for Hanna. Good size, good agility, killer instinct and never gives up. One of the key players in Hanna winning the 2009 and/or 2010 State Championship. Yes that is what I said, mark it down now. With the Freshmen on this years Varsity team and more talent coming from the JV team next year Hanna is going to be UNSTOPPABLE."

brace
brace
FMHS returns the favor from earlier this year with a 2-1 win over Dorman in Fort Mill.

At this point in the season reaching deep can show a team who they are. FMHS's win in the 110th minute should show them who they can become because heart coupled with talent can be a winning combination! Just hope the legs last as long as the heart!!!

Good luck to both side (just a little more to FMHS) and I hope we get decent Refs, FMHS had a player get hurt last night and I think the refs could have reigned in the play a little because the bigger/stronger girls were using thier size advantage in a very physical way (not blaming them I would too until a ref stops me, that is sports) and ref wanted no part in controlling it, at least not in the 1st half!

brace
brace
Quote:

Does anyone know how the state picks which referees do playoff games? From the looks of the first 2 rounds they just take any John Doe off the street that shows up.

To a lot of people these games are just high school kids playing a game, so what. But to the kids on the teams this means a lot to them and they deserve to have referees that are capable of doing a good job. Does the state have any kind of training that these referees go to on an ongoing basis or do they just take the 8 hour class and are turned loose on fields all over the state.

I really don't say any of this to be mean. I just think all of these yound adults deserve better than what I see game after game. State Playoff games are not the place for referees to be doing On The Job Training.

Could not agree more!!
In fact does the leauge look at the refs and how they have called for/against a team in past! I will go on record saying that the center ref at FMHS game last night seemed to have a beef with a FMHS player! He carded her when she got fouled and hit in the face by a hard challenging Spartenburg player (not dirty, just hard) yet he chose to cards her as she rolled/got up from the pounding she took . Maybe she said something, could not hear over the yells from upset parents, but a poke in the eye usually elicits a bad word from most people and a ref should consider the cause, she made no move or gesture toward the opposing player.

Perhaps best non-call of night was when a Spartenburg player got her hand in the way of a hard kick of FMHS girl trying to send ball up field from about mid field, ball deflect back toward FMHS end of field to Spatenburg player and girl almost went to her knees holding her hand. She stood at mid field for nearly a minute holding her sore hand and spent next several mins shaking it, I am sure it hurt!
I would have to view the video replay but to me her arms looked outstreched to in an effort to make a play and the fact that the ball deflected toward a Spartenburg player did not help. (disclaimer: I maybe somewhat partial in how I saw this call. just being honset! )

corner kick
corner kick

It is the playoff's and the refs usually let them play more physical. This is where the club premier players have an advantage as this how they play during the fall season.

There are good refs and bad refs, but without refs there is no game.

brace
brace
Letting them play physical is okay but there has to be some controll applied. When a bigger team is man (or woman, as the case maybe) handeling players a ref need to take some control, as far as I could see this ref gave NO (as in none) warnings at all to the Spartenburg player, again not thier fault they plated hard cause no need to pull it back. Problem is players get hurt, on both sides when play gets rough and then retalitory and the ref not keeping control with warnings is at fault when this happens. I am not asking for cards on every foul but a good ref (I have seen a few in SC so I know it happens) will warn players after a hard foul. Ours last night did not, in fact when you card the less physical team three times and never even warn the other, well that just brings other questions to mind?

F
throw in
throw in
F
The center ref in the Fort Mill game should not center nor AR any more Fort Mill games ever. He has an absolute bias against one of the Fort Mill players (and team in general). He told the player "I will throw you out if you speak to me" 2 minutes into the match for asking a question-and yes I am absolutely biased. The ladies from both teams deserve better

brace
brace
Quote:

The center ref in the Fort Mill game should not center nor AR any more Fort Mill games ever. He has an absolute bias against one of the Fort Mill players (and team in general). He told the player "I will throw you out if you speak to me" 2 minutes into the match for asking a question-and yes I am absolutely biased. The ladies from both teams deserve better

Point made!
Thank you

Brace
Brace
Playoff games are assigned by the region assignor.

For the record, an assessor was at the FMHS game last night. And for the record, some FHMS fans (parents) on both the girls and boys side do not do the team any favors by some of their comments.

If a coach has a problem with the game refs, he should email, write, or call the assignor and voice his complaint(s). The coach also can request that certain official do not do their games and reason why.

Being a HS ref, and a FM soccer parent, to many times parents don't know the rules and second, you see way more in stands than on the field.

I can't argue that there are some bad refs out there but the center last night is one of the better ones in the FM region.

You have to be aware that some players have built a reputation that carries with them. There is a right way and a wrong way to communicate with a ref. That is a lesson few HS players have learned.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard