Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#120994 05/14/09 09:05 PM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
What is the proper soccer etiquette for a HS game? I love a great atmosphere with lots of crowd noise. Foul language and name calling are totally unacceptable, but i love noise makers and a loud but respectfull crowd. BTW, as long as the Mauldin boys are not using foul language, it looks like good clean fun to me.

C
Coach
Coach
C
I've always thought a crowd that is really "into" the game is a great thing. It adds to the experience and can help get a team pumped up to perform. As long as it's positive toward your own team and not negative and derogatory toward the opposition, crowd noise is a great addition to a match.

A REALLY great crowd is one that can appreciate an exceptional play, no matter which team it comes from.

I've got good news and bad news...
brace
brace
There are some definite no's:
1. No fan has the right to yell negatively and then attach either a player's name or number to their comment.
2. Keep in mind that the reason that the Lord may have given you the loudest mouth is that he gave you the smallest brain. You may not be a genius, and if you scream the vote may be unanimous.
3. Never ever criticize or yell at small people such as volunteer ball girls, water girls and boys, etc. Fans that do that are not fans.

I tell my parents that I want them to yell every positive comment they can every game. They are to be the biggest cheerleader for the child, but never to criticize any other player on either team. They do a pretty good job of that.

Also not a good idea to approach a coach, official, or opponent after the game. It is amazing to me how many thoughtless parents being their biggest life problem to you immediately after a four hour soccer event without realizing or caring about the service you have provided to their children. Sleep on it and call me tomorrow if your world is going to collapse. I have never gone up to a parent and said anything other than "__ played great."

The only person who can yell "The Coach is an idiot!" is his current spouse. Ex-spouses are not allowed to do that.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
brace
brace
Cheering for a great block by your opponents goalie is a sign of respect for thier effort and lets them know you respect thier ability.

Cheering not jeering is the name of the game when it comes to team appreachation. Remember your team hears it too and they know when you are jeering the other team you not cheering for them.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

There are some definite no's:
1. No fan has the right to yell negatively and then attach either a player's name or number to their comment.
2. Keep in mind that the reason that the Lord may have given you the loudest mouth is that he gave you the smallest brain. You may not be a genius, and if you scream the vote may be unanimous.
3. Never ever criticize or yell at small people such as volunteer ball girls, water girls and boys, etc. Fans that do that are not fans.

I tell my parents that I want them to yell every positive comment they can every game. They are to be the biggest cheerleader for the child, but never to criticize any other player on either team. They do a pretty good job of that.

Also not a good idea to approach a coach, official, or opponent after the game. It is amazing to me how many thoughtless parents being their biggest life problem to you immediately after a four hour soccer event without realizing or caring about the service you have provided to their children. Sleep on it and call me tomorrow if your world is going to collapse. I have never gone up to a parent and said anything other than "__ played great."

The only person who can yell "The Coach is an idiot!" is his current spouse. Ex-spouses are not allowed to do that.

Been called an "idiot". Spoke with the parent afterwards, cleared up, and now a good supporter. Been confronted by a parent after a game, little heated, but now we know the educated way of handling things. Sometimes it just takes experience, a little church, and common sense to handle the tough situations. Coaches deal with lots of kids so we tend to be callous, but a parent may only have 1 that he/she is concerned with and can be over dramatic. Meet in the middle, put the team first.

"Cheers, not Jeers" Awesome statement.

world cup
world cup
From the PA booth:

"South Carolina High School League rules prohibit the use of artificial noise makers at all high school athletic contests".

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
throw in
throw in
How about this for good etiquette; leave the referees alone, even if a call doesn't go the way you'd like it to???

2d1dad #121001 05/15/09 01:17 AM
corner kick
corner kick
My view of good etiquette is that you should be cheering for the beauty of the game, not for the ugly parts or not to be ugly. A good spectator encourages their team, but can also appreciate a fantastic save by the other keeper or a beautiful shot. If something goes wrong or there's a bad call, an "awww" or momentary "that sucks!" is okay, but rants or expletives are not.

Be a good sportsman, don't do or say anything you wouldn't want to experience as a player, and always be a positive force, not a negative one.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
P
Throw In
Throw In
P
You might also encourage your parents/fans/players to learn the laws before the criticize the referees or demand a card for an opposing player. Part of my irritation last night in Chapin was how ignorant the fans were.
A few seasons ago I was AR for a game involving our local club. From the players side a could hear our club's parents yelling about offside calls. After the game, as I was leaving, I took a moment to call to some of them and explain the offside law to them. They were surprised at how different the actual offside law is from what they thought it was.
Sometimes I think parents should be offered a brief workshop on the laws of the game, and players certainly should. My daughter has been a ref for several years now, and my 11-year-old son will be taking the Grade 9 course the next time it's offered.

P
Throw In
Throw In
P
The boys at Chapin had a loud horn which they blew every time my keeper went to punt the ball or one of my defenders went to take a goal kick.
When one of my players complained to the center about the abusive fans, he replied that there was nothing he could do about it.
Hmmmm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard