Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
kick off
kick off
Wando Lexington Observations:

Wando opened the game with confidence and a controlled passing game. Wando had the game well in hand for much of the first half and had it not been for some less than clinical finishing could have very well been up 3 nil by halftime. Wando scored on a nice cross and finish around the 12 minute mark if I can remember correctly. With about 15 minutes to play in the first Coach Champ elected to make wholesale changes and the Lady Warriors seemed to lose the ability to hold on to the ball.

The second half belonged to Lexington for the most part. The Wando girls looked flat and at times just tired. The Lexington girls created several chances in the second half, if not for some fearless saves from the Wando keeper(Amelia) this game could have gone the other way.

This was a hard fought game and an inspired second half effort by the Lexington girls. The fans and players and coaches kept things sportsmanlike throughout. I don't know if the center referee was informed to expect something else but, I have never seen such a card happy ref in my life. I lost track but I think he issued 5 or 6 yellows the majority to the Wando team and all in the second half. The first two were understandable as a Wando forward went in out of countrol on the Lexington keeper and knocked her down and the Lexington left back made a nasty and dangerous tackle from behind a bit later. Other than that the center ref would have done well to let the girls play.

Good luck to Wando at the Lower State Finals on Monday and congratulations to Lexington on a great run in the playoffs.

ROSS!!! For no reason!
L
Goal
Goal
L
lady vd,

glad that sa won but please don't go overboard comparing hs soccer w/high level club.

"The speed of this game was as high as I have seen in any top flight club ball."

cause it just ain't so.

L
throw in
throw in
L
Quote:

lady vd,

glad that sa won but please don't go overboard comparing hs soccer w/high level club.

"The speed of this game was as high as I have seen in any top flight club ball."

cause it just ain't so.

I guess I have to respectfully disagree and will caveat with "top flight women's U18/U19 club ball". I have watched and even help coach a bit matches against teams like Atlanta TopHat, Atlanta Fire, GSA, Vestavia Attack, Redstar, NJ Dynamo, NASA, JB Marine Reinhart, etc, all top 100 teams. We won some and lost some. Either SAHS or HHHS could have stood head to head with any of these and competed

L
kick off
kick off
L
Quote:

Quote:

Wando 1, Lex Z-E-R-O

Best Sportsmanship award goes to Berkeley, WORST goes to Lexington! Lexington players did not shake hands with the Wando coach as they were introduced before the game. Lex coach stayed over at his bench and the Wando girls ran over to him and each shook his hand.

2 cents, Lex had 12 players on the field the entire second half of the game...the center ref (12th)....so quit yer whining and move on!

Some teams do not know to shake the other coaches hand before the game. It is actually not as common as you may think. It is quite a stretch to call it "bad sportsmanship."

Let me state that I have seen Lex many times over the last few year. They have shown during this time to have a real lack of sportsmanship as a whole. From fouls behind the play to the coaches crying to the newspapers after the loss for the state championship a few years back (he stated that the other team had played with 12 for the second half video proved otherwise, I also saw the event first hand). The coach can show/control/encourage what we hope all our kids will have as they grow up. This also goes for the parents/fans, the players will follow the lead given them. It is a shame that some fine young players/adults have this a roll model, hopefully the people that need to look in the mirror will not like what the see and try to do what is right.

ALWAYS REMEMBER ITS 4 THE KIDS!
S
goal
goal
S
LadyVolDad:
I respectfully disagree with you. I love going to HS games and watching the girls play for there schools,but to say SAHS or HHHS could stand toe to toe with top club teams just isn't so. The top club teams have all 11 starters playing major D-1 soccer. Go to Disney and watch the U-18 top flight final and you might change your mind.

C
Coach
Coach
C
*sigh* Here we go again...

I've got good news and bad news...
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

*sigh* Here we go again...

Yup...... I was wondering myself just how to say what you have just summed up so well......

tk

Tony King
S
goal
goal
S
Coach Chass:
HS soccer has it's place and Club soccer has it's place, lets just stop trying to compare the two, the reason we have seen the level of HS soccer improve dramaticaly is directly tied to club soccer. I think we can all agree with that.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
My interpretation is LadyVolDad was paying a well deserved compliment to the S Aiken and Hilton Head teams.
As soccer evolves and club play influences the quality of HS play, the gap between club & high school will become smaller.
The highest club games seen varies by team. Not everyone goes to Disney and not all top players aspire to go to Disney.
It's great there are venues for players of all levels.

C
Coach
Coach
C
SF...and yet we insist on not only drawing those comparisons, but pushing them to the point that a supporter of HS teams can't make a passing complimentary comment on two good teams without someone jumping in to say they cannot, possibly, in any way shape or form, compare. That compliment could have been let go for what it was without the challenge.

Also, HS soccer and club soccer both have their place, but the status of HS soccer is dependent on club soccer...club participation does have a significant effect on the level of players available to high school teams, true...but first of all, there's no reason to rub that in during HS season, and second, while some club players may be able to bring more to the table than one-season players, there are a lot of other factors that can contribute to the success and level of play of any given team.

So...while I do understand where you're coming from, it's an unnecessary argument, as well as being an oversimplified generalization. I think there would be a lot more success in both venues if HS and club players and coaches wouldn't get somehow pitted against one another in a "who's better" frame of mind--if they could complement each other smoothly without always competing with each other for the laurels.

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard