Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
P
kick off
kick off
P
I'm not one to really comment on these boards; more often than not I'll post a question for my own purposes to be answered by men and women much smarter than myself. I will say, however, that the characterization made by GSdad seems a bit, well, one-sided.

I was at the game, and saw the physical play right from the beginning. Yes, Northwestern engaged in what might be referred to mildly as "chippy" play. I also commented to those around me (at least those who were listening, including my six-foot rabbit friend Harvey) that such play was detrimental to the system Northwestern had executed all year.
Irmo (or IRMO or irmo or whatever) controlled the pace and tone of the first half because of their willingness to bang bodies and make themselves a nuisance to the Trojans. One might consider their play "dirty" as you have characterized Northwestern. From where I sat, there was clearly a lot more jawing on the part of the players in black (but then again, I was sitting kind of near the press box, so couldn't see everything).
My main point is, both teams played hard, physical and, at times, beyond the rules. Actions by players on both teams (Martinez, Benson, Acree, Varney) and by fans on both sides were not the most positive. While I hate to just say that it's emotion and "just part of the game," I also won't go so far as to call high school kids "dirty" or "classless" when I, as a grown up, have seen far worse from the men and women who should be role models for the young fans.

There. I'm finished. Harvey and I are going to bed.

corner kick
corner kick
a few thoughts.

1. Soccer is becoming kind like basketball, too many fouls, is true the game is faster now but with the ref calling every single little touch is just frustrating, let the game go, this is a fast mens game, you cant stop it for every single little touch... I am going to say it one more, stopping the game every minute is not part of soccer, is just not not real football.

2. Irmo lacked a true # 9, the first half was dominated by # 10 and Acree with Alex Martinez trying to get on their way.

3. Irmos # 3 was a little slow for Enzo.

4. I like the idea of not getting a yellow card for celebrating goals, but i think taking off your shirt is penalized by fifa, enzo had to get a red card on the play.

5. Both of the martinez brothers play at a different level, the black dude and the other little latino are pretty good too.

I think Irmo overall was physically smaller and kind of slow on defense compared to Irmos line up from back in the days.

Congrats to both teams for making it this far, high school level is getting better with not doubt.

Congrats to NW and to the Martinez brothers, good futbol out there.

I like all the international flags on NW fans, way to show that america is culturally the richest country in the world.

Club of the century.
kick off
kick off
IRMO SHMIRMO

throw in
throw in
Hats off to Northwestern... finished the chances they got.

Was a little disappointed that neither team played the type of soccer they excel in (moving the ball around the pitch). Think players on each team got too emotionally involved in the game, but it is a championship. I still enjoyed the tough play from each side. I’m looking forward to another match up next season.

E
bench
bench
E
Great game. The first half was very even, but Northwestern dominated the 2nd half. Just shows Coach Dom is in a class of his own as far as coaching goes in SC. His halftime adjustments are always outstanding.

Very physical game, Benson with some poor sportsmanship trying to stop the Irmo player from bringing the ball back after making the PK. I don't know how you award a PK when the center or AR's don't call it. They have a much better view than someone standing 50 yards away.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahzahahahahahahahahahahahahahabhahahahahqhahhahahahahah....pinger

throw in
throw in
Great game. Enzo lived up to all the hype, though some of his teammates [#24] couldn't have played dirtier if you paid them too. Irmo gave it their all. I was especially impreessed with Padula [#8] & Varney [#7]. Oliver Nobles appeared to give up the last six minutes, which was a let down. I'll admit the sight of the Irmo team collapsing to the ground after the final whistle was heartbreaking.

Also this game ought to go down in history as the first time Irmo fans had more class than the other side.

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
I thought Hubbard did an amazing job on Enzo up until he was pushed into the midfield after the second goal. I think Enzo was able to get off two shots for the first 60 minutes and then had a little bit more room to roam around after the second goal

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
Nobels wasn't on the pitch the last six minutes. And I don't think he gave up at all. I thought he played well and just fatigued at the end. It was a pretty exhausting game from the stands much less on the field

kick off
kick off
Irmo did NOT have more class than nw. They both played very dirty and the better team won tonite and it clearly showed. Enzo took his shirt off after varney shoved alex to show varney who the better team really was. Irmo is also one of the dirtiest teams in the state. and most of them shouldve had red cards but so did nw. Great job NW. Good season irmo.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard