Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#123102 05/24/09 02:03 PM
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
I know yall will probably all hate me for putting this on high school soccer post but i wasnt sure if i would get any responses by putting it on the college, pro bulletin.....

do you think any of the players we saw on the pitch last night have a real opportunity to play professional soccer and for possibly a better league than the MLS?

A
kick off
kick off
A
none

corner kick
corner kick
Honestly, right now, heck not.

If you read my last post in the HS forum, you will find out one of the reasons.

High School level is just not any good, is great for fans and for the news and the hype but the level sucks compared to clubs.

If somehow people can change the hs thing into premier d1 and stuff then it will be different.

If any of this kids wants to play pro, they need to seriously start thinking on moving to a city with an MLS Franchise, or moving to Europe or down south.

First, the HS level change would be done.

2. We need a pld or usl2 team in columbia to delope the players the proper way.

3. I heard about 2 s. aiken players training for the Batter, is any SC native player currenty playin for the battery?

How many SC native players the battery ever had?

Club of the century.
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
I know some guys who played pdl during the last summer season, with some of their college teammates but that was in rhode island and not in the plametto state, (charleston, columbia or greenville)

thanks for your thoughts alma merengue, i know their is one in augusta and atlanta and a few in nc, and that where sc players go, im not sure if theyre are any sc high schoolers or former college players from sc playing for the battery

Brace
Brace
John Wilson (Seneca, SC/Seneca High/Clemson) is in his second stint with the Battery. He played here, then left for DC United and the Rochester Rhinos before returning.

Troy Lesene (Columbia/B-C High/C of C) played for the Battery a few years ago. There was one other player from C of C that I thought played for the Battery but I can't remember his name.

As I have said for years, there is bad club soccer out there and yes you can play high school soccer and still be a good player. There are too many unfounded negative sterotypes about high school soccer. Most people think that if you play club soccer you are #1 good, #2 play for the best club and #3 have a free pass to college and pro soccer. Just b/c you play club soccer does not make you a great player nor does it mean that college coaches will come knocking your door down.

And yes, there is such a thing as a good high school soccer game and good high school soccer tournaments. They do not rival the Dallas Cup, Jefferson Cup, Surf Cup, Regionals, etc but neither do typical club tournaments or games. While I did not stick around to watch later state championship games, I bet that Riverside/Chapin last year, Northwestern/Spring Valley last year and NW/Irmo this year were better games than a typical club game.

Brace
Brace
Keith Wiggens (College of Charleston) is also currently playing for the Battery.

Ben Hollingsworth (C of C) was who I was thinking of before. He played for the Battery and then played for a team in Isreal.

Jason Getz (Lander Univ.) played two or three season for the Battery.

corner kick
corner kick
let see, if you are a club player and you play premier or let say challenge.

you have how many games on the season? how many of those games are quality games?

now, you have irmo, beating one his closest rivals df 9-1, wow, sounds great.

irmo and nw had 2 real games the whole season, are you serious?

anywhere in the world, clubs wait for you to get out of high school to sign the contract, if are not at least in the reserves when you are done with hs you are most likely to end up playing second division, the pro game is too competitive.

in the US, you wait till you finish college, when are 22 years old to take soccer serious... by them, messi has already 2 european championships, 1 fifa player of the year and is ready to fight for the number one spot in the world cup.

im not saying kids should not play high school or college soccer, im saying, you have to better the level of both of them, the american kids are light years behind the real soccer world.

send one of those clemson kids to the reserves of Boca or Corinthians and you would see what im talking about.

we dont go too far, not even mls is developing kids to play in the world level, think of Altidore at Villareal.

High School and college soccer could be a great way to develop great players but we have to change the whole system if you want to make things happend.

Club of the century.
world cup
world cup
Why don't the best American youth players leave the US when they are 15 and head to Europe? Can't they play in West Ham's academy program and continue their secondary school education in England?

Why even bother playing "academy" in the US if your real goal is professional soccer?

Think about it. Instead of mom and dad shelling out thousands of dollars so the kid can "live the dream", why not send him abroad where a professional club can cover his training expenses and determine in a short period of time if the kid really has what it takes?

Last edited by Hurst66; 05/25/09 10:50 PM.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
I think college soccer here is where kids lose the most ground, i agree completely with yall about that

it should be dissolved to make way for more acadmey play like the pdl and usl teams we were talking about on the other post, if we start focusing more on development and skill than we will grow as football nation and start to have talented and athletic squads like the ones of europe and south america

Brace
Brace
If i hear you correctly, your argument has two points... better quality games and better player development.

Player development is a sticky one b/c it means that parents and coaches of young players must think more about teaching the game vs. winning.

There was a great idea thrown out seeveral years ago about forming four division based on winning percantage over the past 10-15 years. After the initial year, there would be a promotion/relegation system. This would at least get the best teams playing together, but that concept would have almost no chance of passing.

The other thought is to do away with the concept of "regions". Let teams schedule whoever they want. This would do away with some of the massive blowouts that usually occur b/c two teams have to play each other. 4A and 3A teams would then apply for the playoffs much like 2A and 1A do now.

I personally think that Altidore's development is hampered by his decision b/c now is on the bench for a lesser team... look at what happened to Tim Howard when he went to Man U and his rise once he got playing time at Everton.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard