Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#123123 05/24/09 05:20 PM
M
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
M
Tryouts this week and after the tryouts the coaches called all the players over who were trying out for any other clubs. They asked the kids if their club was the kids first choice. They were then told that if that club was not their first choice they would not be rostered at all. This was before all of the clubs' tryouts were over for that age group.

I have never heard of anything so asinine. If my kid would rather play on another club but doesn't make that team, you're telling me that you won't take him on ANY of your teams even if he's good enough to make it? No wonder some clubs will never succeed.

Anyone have any other thoughts on this?

throw in
throw in
i just think evertyhing at the club your are talking about is ridiculous and that they probably already have their minds made up before tryouts about whose on which team, i wont say which team but i think i know which club you are talking about...it really has ashamed me these two or three years however long it has been

they should start bringing out unbiased college coaches to do tryouts so that everyone out there gets a fair shake and the BEST players are on the BEST teams, as long as they have high school and club coaches there than their will always be some kids who have talent but are cast aside

and lets not forget how much club soccer costs with tryout fees, car rides, uniforms

tryouts are already hard enough so the ppl doing it should give the kids a break

H
kick off
kick off
H
Go ahead .......what club? I know several that are this way.Is it CESA,MPSC?????

throw in
throw in
Try Columbia United FC

Nothing is Impossible
S
bench
bench
S
I totally agree and this sounds familiar from past years. They use to pressure my kid at tryouts. The step I took to address this is when the coach called me before tryouts even started and asked me what my kids intention was for the next year and I responded by asking if they were willing to tell me their intention for my kid next year and of coarse they arent so I asked then how can my kid accept a role in the club without a offer, sort of like interviewing for a job, you dont sit at home and "hope" that company is the only offer coming in, you interview other places not always because you prefer the other job or in this case club but to secure a spot. Why cant coaches understand that simple process? They know exactly where my kid stands if shes a returning player and a tryout isnt going to show a drastic change in play to make that choice. I started giving the politically correct answer when asked now if my kid is coming to tryouts and that answer is "yes, my kid will be at tryouts". Not "yes, my kid will play for you next year".

M
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
M
Quote:

Try Columbia United FC

BINGO!! And CESA was quite the opposite.

Last edited by GSDad; 05/24/09 07:09 PM.
bench
bench
Club Soccer is a luxury, not a necessity. I think the real question that's being asked is "if we put on classic here, but you make Challenge elsewhere, will we loose your money"?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Five years ago this was not even a issue..How times have changed.We have never been put in a situation where we had to choose today..Clubs do have time for the numbers to shake out..I think final rosters are due sometime in early July..

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
hard to get that together once school is out though....and they want to lock you in to fill rosters before anyone else does.

Last edited by Jonathan; 05/25/09 01:26 AM.
brace
brace
Quote:

Club Soccer is a luxury, not a necessity. I think the real question that's being asked is "if we put on classic here, but you make Challenge elsewhere, will we loose your money"?

$ound$ about right to me! Making the upper level team ($ometine$ reguardle$$ of the ability of the player) is the drawing factor for far to many of the parents. Yes I would rather have my child play on the best team he/she can and win the best awards ect..., but I want them to play and develop (have fun fits in there too).

Some clubs will allow players who are of rec level on a upper level team (say challenge n SC) because they need that 13/14th player to fill out roster. I have seen teams with 6 challenge level players and 6 ot 7 rec level players rostered as a challenge level team because club/parents want "highest level" of play but is this really in the best intrest of the players?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard