Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#123123 05/24/09 05:20 PM
M
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
M
Tryouts this week and after the tryouts the coaches called all the players over who were trying out for any other clubs. They asked the kids if their club was the kids first choice. They were then told that if that club was not their first choice they would not be rostered at all. This was before all of the clubs' tryouts were over for that age group.

I have never heard of anything so asinine. If my kid would rather play on another club but doesn't make that team, you're telling me that you won't take him on ANY of your teams even if he's good enough to make it? No wonder some clubs will never succeed.

Anyone have any other thoughts on this?

throw in
throw in
i just think evertyhing at the club your are talking about is ridiculous and that they probably already have their minds made up before tryouts about whose on which team, i wont say which team but i think i know which club you are talking about...it really has ashamed me these two or three years however long it has been

they should start bringing out unbiased college coaches to do tryouts so that everyone out there gets a fair shake and the BEST players are on the BEST teams, as long as they have high school and club coaches there than their will always be some kids who have talent but are cast aside

and lets not forget how much club soccer costs with tryout fees, car rides, uniforms

tryouts are already hard enough so the ppl doing it should give the kids a break

H
kick off
kick off
H
Go ahead .......what club? I know several that are this way.Is it CESA,MPSC?????

throw in
throw in
Try Columbia United FC

Nothing is Impossible
S
bench
bench
S
I totally agree and this sounds familiar from past years. They use to pressure my kid at tryouts. The step I took to address this is when the coach called me before tryouts even started and asked me what my kids intention was for the next year and I responded by asking if they were willing to tell me their intention for my kid next year and of coarse they arent so I asked then how can my kid accept a role in the club without a offer, sort of like interviewing for a job, you dont sit at home and "hope" that company is the only offer coming in, you interview other places not always because you prefer the other job or in this case club but to secure a spot. Why cant coaches understand that simple process? They know exactly where my kid stands if shes a returning player and a tryout isnt going to show a drastic change in play to make that choice. I started giving the politically correct answer when asked now if my kid is coming to tryouts and that answer is "yes, my kid will be at tryouts". Not "yes, my kid will play for you next year".

M
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
M
Quote:

Try Columbia United FC

BINGO!! And CESA was quite the opposite.

Last edited by GSDad; 05/24/09 07:09 PM.
bench
bench
Club Soccer is a luxury, not a necessity. I think the real question that's being asked is "if we put on classic here, but you make Challenge elsewhere, will we loose your money"?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Five years ago this was not even a issue..How times have changed.We have never been put in a situation where we had to choose today..Clubs do have time for the numbers to shake out..I think final rosters are due sometime in early July..

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
hard to get that together once school is out though....and they want to lock you in to fill rosters before anyone else does.

Last edited by Jonathan; 05/25/09 01:26 AM.
brace
brace
Quote:

Club Soccer is a luxury, not a necessity. I think the real question that's being asked is "if we put on classic here, but you make Challenge elsewhere, will we loose your money"?

$ound$ about right to me! Making the upper level team ($ometine$ reguardle$$ of the ability of the player) is the drawing factor for far to many of the parents. Yes I would rather have my child play on the best team he/she can and win the best awards ect..., but I want them to play and develop (have fun fits in there too).

Some clubs will allow players who are of rec level on a upper level team (say challenge n SC) because they need that 13/14th player to fill out roster. I have seen teams with 6 challenge level players and 6 ot 7 rec level players rostered as a challenge level team because club/parents want "highest level" of play but is this really in the best intrest of the players?

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
So what about the club that tells parents, that they don't have to tryout... Care to guess on this one?
I got that phone call about my daughter....

S
bench
bench
S
which club or which parent????

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Which Club?

L
Goal
Goal
L
summerville?

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
I'm not from that area, try again

G
kick off
kick off
G
Definitely not CESA, right? Maybe CUFC.

S
bench
bench
S
From everyones guess here, and they havent said the one I know does this its obvious all these clubs do this. Having been around for many years in the soccer I have seen it all including my own child many years ago when entering into the club atmosphere missed trypouts with a doctors excuse and when I asked about doing a makeup was told not to worry about it (they had seen my child play and that was good enough) and thats fine, save me my tryout fee.

I think tryouts are great for new players and to see new players in a game scenerio you need a full team on the field which includeds returning players at tryouts. The coaches know where they stand and if it wasnt about the $$$ then they could easily inform the parent at the end of season where their child belongs in the next season....

G
kick off
kick off
G
Well, as long as the coach has seen the player and is confident with their ability, then they might as well let the player on the team.

S
goal
goal
S
Club soccer in SC is a bargain compared to other states. Many of the top clubs require thousands of dollars upfront before your first game. Most clubs in SC work very hard to keep costs down.

S
goal
goal
S
Chief:
What are the expectations of the parents and club that fill select rosters with rec player to reach roster levels?

S
bench
bench
S
Ive seen this also, roster levels getting filled with rec players, 1st and most important is its not fair to other kids on team who worked years to make it to that level, not fair to coach who maybe didnt pick these players and now has to figure out how to make the best of it and not fair to parents who each month dishing out big $$$....

brace
brace
Quote:

Chief:
What are the expectations of the parents and club that fill select rosters with rec player to reach roster levels?

Sadly many parents expect too much from this situation. The clubs are 1st expecting money and second the ability to field a team. My point is that IMHO some clubs will field a subpar upper level team for a few "key" players reather than bite the bullet and field a lower level team untl they have the numbers to field an upper level team! They know they will lose some players if they field a lower level team (and thier $$$) so they keep them by "forcing" players to play above the level they are ready for.

I could also go on about clubs letting players play up an age to make team as but I think must who get my other point know about that too.

G
kick off
kick off
G
Last year, I was put in to this situation. The coach told us we'd have a great team that year, but he filled the team with five rec kids and four under-aged kids. This was right before I turned down a spot on one of the best teams in the state for the age group.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Try Columbia United FC

Oh here we go with our annual "CUFC is the worst club around" posts--two comments--1. That must not have been passed along to the hundreds of kids and their families that were at tryouts last week and--2. Those Irmo players who just completed a great season must have been training at Cesa-Columbia to develop those skills.

G
kick off
kick off
G
HAHA LOL CESA Columbia is a complete joke. They get minimal funding from Greenville and pathetic fields. Not sure how their coaching is around the board, though.

bench
bench
It is unfortunate that you feel the need to share that type of opinion when you state "not sure how their coaching is around the board"...

Those of us with first hand experience are very happy with the training, training opportunities, coaches, and player growth and development (which bottom line, is what is the most important)!

G
kick off
kick off
G
Well, as long as you think the training is good for your age and team, that's all that matters. As for me, I knew a player who had been around the program for four years, and they weren't happy with the training. If you think CESA Columbia is right for you, that's where you should be training. Just make sure that you consider all of the opportunities before comitting anywhere.

throw in
throw in
Quote:

Quote:

$ound$ about right to me! Making the upper level team ($ometine$ reguardle$$ of the ability of the player) is the drawing factor for far to many of the parents. Yes I would rather have my child play on the best team he/she can and win the best awards ect..., but I want them to play and develop (have fun fits in there too).

Some clubs will allow players who are of rec level on a upper level team (say challenge n SC) because they need that 13/14th player to fill out roster. I have seen teams with 6 challenge level players and 6 ot 7 rec level players rostered as a challenge level team because club/parents want "highest level" of play but is this really in the best intrest of the players?

Not to mention that this system is completely unfair to the rec level players. They are often resented by the challenge level players for not being up to their level and bringing the team down, and instead of getting development and training so they could one day make the upper team on their own talent, they are severely outclassed in games & practices. It's terrible on self-esteem and moral.

bench
bench
I used to believe that "once a rec player, always a rec player" was the norm. Both my kids came from rec, made it on club teams and it had to do with their desire to improve and show the coaches they could play. One is on challenge, the other is playing in college.

C
throw in
throw in
C
Quote:

HAHA LOL CESA Columbia is a complete joke. They get minimal funding from Greenville and pathetic fields. Not sure how their coaching is around the board, though.

The coaching at CESA-Columbia is great. They won the B-Division U13G State Cup this year. I will agree about the fields and funding though.

M
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
M
Unfortunately I believe that CESA-Columbia will not have any teams this fall. It's too bad because it gave kids in the midlands and choice and the coaching was second to none.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
why no teams?

M
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
M
I had heard they had teams and would field 5-6 but slowly a few players defected from each team and now they have none. Not sure if this is posted on the website yet but they have no teams or rosters posted as of this date.

Last edited by GSDad; 06/08/09 09:12 PM.
C
throw in
throw in
C
It is true. They were trying to field a U-11 Boys and a U-13 Girls team, but it fell apart. The girls (less a select few) returning from the state cup wanted Shaun Jacques to continue coaching, but when they found out he wasn't coaching them, they sought greener pastures. Unfortunately, it was too late for them to accept CUFC positions so they are scrambling for teams. I believe the boys just could not get enough together for a team.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard