Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#123538 05/29/09 04:07 AM
brace
OP Offline
brace
Anyone else out there seeing schools considering cutting back on programs?
Fort Mill school district is considering canceling all middle school spring sports (except) track next year to save money! Sad but soccer is just about one of the least expensive programs per player and yet they would cut it to save more expensive sports, like basketball that only has a few players on the team.
Shame is that the program was just begining to ramp up with more 7th/8th graders playing middle school soccer! The benefit over the next few years would have been very good to the high schools.

Just wondering if anyone else is feeling the pinch?

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
That is sad to hear. I know that it appeared the Ft Mill programs were developing very well. My AD always said that we lost money. I took over the gate and concessions and was able to pay for the refs. Now I do fund raise to cover tournaments and other things. As long as I dont lose money, my AD is happy with me.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I have mixed emotions with it.

The purpose of school is NOT to provide sports. Now I love sports as much or more than anyone....but in awful economic times you have to make choices. When I was in "Jr Hs" back in the day, school sports were football and bball for boys and cheerleading and bball for girls. Thats it.

HS sports have overgrown themselves also. Out of town/out of state tournaments.....away games on school nights that have kids getting home at 10-11pm......ridiculous.

Fort Mill now has 2 high schools......meaning for soccer players in between jv and varsity you now have 4 teams to make. Twice as many roster spots....

Spring sport athletes in Fm can play baseball-softball, track, soccer, golf, tennis.

C
Coach
Coach
C
We have not had a budget for our JV teams from day one...district allowed no supplement for them. We have been running them entirely from shifting money from the varsity budget, fundraisers, and coaches who have been awesome enough to volunteer their time and effort without pay. There are ways to make it work even with budget cuts if people want it badly enough to work for it; as Chief says, soccer can be one of the least expensive sports per student to run...

I've got good news and bad news...
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Have to agree with Biggy D on this one..
But before programs are cut..Let's make sure that the bigger programs..Football,basketball and baseball have cut their budgets down to allow everyone to play..
If your school can afford to play these sports..soccer should not even be an issue

world cup
world cup
There are other choices for 7th and 8th grade soccer players to get them ready for the high school team.

A. Play on the high school JV team
B. Play U-13 & U-14 club soccer during the spring
C. Play both

I think FM and NF will still be OK if this goes down.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Well according to one of their middle school websites, they have way too many expenses in the other sports. Do other middle schools have:

7th and 8th grade Volleyball
7th grade basketball (Boys and Girls)
8th grade Basketball (Boys and Girls)
7th grade Football
8th grade Football
Softball
Track
Wrestling
Baseball
Soccer (Boys and Girls)
Dance (it is listed on the athletics page)

See why it costs so much to run middle school athletics in Fort Mill.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
In Fort Mill can 7th/8th graders choose to tryout for the High School JV team instead of playing Middle School soccer? Here in Richland 2 Middle School kids are not allowed to tryout for the JV teams...

tk

Tony King
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Oh... and to answer the question on restrictions- JV is not allowed to travel to any "non-local" games so in order to try and max out their season I have been scheduling more local Varsity games so we can piggyback the ride.

tk

Tony King
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Maybe someone should wonder why a school AD needs to be payed 100K a year??? I am certain you can take 30% of it and save most of the programs.

HS football coaches whose only job is football and make 80k plus is ridiculous.
In case you forgot
HS Football coaches salaries - Jan 11/09 THE STATE

Last edited by futbol(soccer); 05/29/09 06:31 PM.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard