Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Import... you already are paying... it is called taxes. Why should you pay more?

I am on record on this board that lots of money is spent on very few... on a given varsity football team only a small number play. Yet we find important to pay the AD of a HS.... Again ATHLETIC DIRECTOR of a high school close to 100k a year??? a coach for HS Football .... again a COACH FOR HS FOOTBALL with no other responsibilities 80k a year?

I am currently paying for 3...count them 3.... $4 million+ stadiums in my school district... all based on football.

Why do I have to pay more for my kids to play a different sport?

As I understand taxes are used to finance government and pay for the services they provide back to us. Therefore in times such as these services must be cut.

Get rid of the AD and divide the job (whatever that was) between the principal and the coaching staff, then the next question is how much do you pay the football coach and why.

I bet lots of money would be saved

Brace
Brace
Hear ya and agree. I voted against a bond (which won in a landslide) for approx. $10 mil for a new football stadium at Nation Ford, update of Fort Mill stadium, a new basketball gym at both NF and FM, where FM has one! And our football team still went 1-10 and not in most games.

The bummer is I don't want to continue to see the kids be the losers over adult mistakes.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I think we're compressing a bunch of complex issues involving school sports and finances.....and it blurs the issues.

High school athletic directors.......high school football coaches....construction of physical property/assets really has little to do with the issue at hand.

The issue at hand is middle school sports. Now.....I don't think they have to whack only the newest sports, or the spring sports. There are several questions:

1. Do we need middle school athletic directors, or can this role be filled/shared by the two HS athletic directors.

2. Can you combine the 7th and 8th grade football and basketball teams? Not to mention cheerleader teams/dance teams.

But also the question comes up about scope. Should middle schools be offering all of these other sports also?

To me, a combined 7th/8th grade bball team for boys and 1 for girls....a 7th/8th grade football team.....a 7th/8th grade volleyball team for girls.....a cheerleader group....

Do we really need more at the middle school level?

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Hear ya and agree. I voted against a bond (which won in a landslide) for approx. $10 mil for a new football stadium at Nation Ford, update of Fort Mill stadium, a new basketball gym at both NF and FM, where FM has one! And our football team still went 1-10 and not in most games.

The bummer is I don't want to continue to see the kids be the losers over adult mistakes.

I'm absolutely ok with building a football stadium at NF. If the school district wanted to go the route of Rock Hill and have a shared stadium offsite, fine. But Northwestern doesn't go play their games at Rock Hill high. Why would anyone ask NF to go to FM?

We're already the redheaded stepchild of the school district. Nothing is equal to begin with.

C
Corner Kick
Online Content
Corner Kick
C
BD,

In our district, the Middle AD is not a paid position and must be an administrator. We would not be able to have this role shared at the HS level since we are a choice district.

But I do agree and have been asking all of the questions from #2 down.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
HMMMMM!!!! it seems we have backed into the solution to the problem unkowingly.
1- all schools get their money from the state
2- the state mandates essential services
3- Not all school districts follow the same blueprint. i.e in the Cola area middle schools sports are combined 7/8th grade already.
4- Middle school sports are not essential services (per the article)

Therefore it would make sense there should be a state wide rule for public shools sports offering.

A- any sport in which 7 and 8th graders can already compete for spots in JV should not have a middle school team.

B- HS should have varsity and JV only... No B teams as 9th graders should already be able to compete for JV spots.

This will reduce the numbers significantly and if Johnny and Sally cannot make JV...tough.... life is tough.

Otherwise go back to how it used to be, and let each district have their tax base... This was not considered to be fair by the state so the rule was changed to try and make it more equal, but there is no "equal" rule to extra curricular activities which the districts offer and sometimes use to differentiate themselves.

F
throw in
throw in
F
Quote:

To me, a combined 7th/8th grade bball team for boys and 1 for girls....a 7th/8th grade football team.....a 7th/8th grade volleyball team for girls.....a cheerleader group....

I'm not sure I understand the position here- how do you decide on the favored sports. These are the only sports worthy of Middle School? These also happen to be the most expensive sports budgetwise for the most part. And the spring sports have greater overall youth participation than most of the ones listed.

C
Corner Kick
Online Content
Corner Kick
C
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand the position here- how do you decide on the favored sports. These are the only sports worthy of Middle School? These also happen to be the most expensive sports budgetwise for the most part. And the spring sports have greater overall youth participation than most of the ones listed.

I believe that he is referring to the fact that FM Middle Schools have both 7th and 8th grade teams in football, basketball (girls and boys), and cheer. If I am wrong he is suggesting make it a combined 7th/8th grade team for football and basketball and combine cheer and dance.

brace
OP Offline
brace
Yes the split 7th and 8th grade team are a waste of money based on cost and number of players. I heard at Gold Hill MS they I to go begging to get enough 7th grade boys to play football last year.

Combining the 4 7th grade team into the 8th grade equilvents would free up almost enough to keep the four spring sports on the block.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I believe that he is referring to the fact that FM Middle Schools have both 7th and 8th grade teams in football, basketball (girls and boys), and cheer. If I am wrong he is suggesting make it a combined 7th/8th grade team for football and basketball and combine cheer and dance.

Exactly. One football team. One boys basketball team. One girls basketball team, etc

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard