Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 28 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 28
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Quote:

I thought Farragut was the best team in the tournament. The parents that traveled with them rivaled in size to some of the in-state teams and like all us soccer fans celebrated the good and questioned some of the calls of the uniformed men. I also thought #16 did a great job owning the midfield and #6 did an excellent job on defense this weekend. I also thought I heard that they committed to the tournament before their prom was scheduled. In any event, they were a quality team, simple good soccer.

They also have a kid who has a throw in that rivals Billy Padula from Irmo. The first two goals against Wando were off of his long throw ins.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

To me, it seems a bit strange that Brookland Cayce (the host of the tournament) was given the easiest "road" to the semis. It is unfair to some of the quality teams in the tournament (ie Norman North) that they are put into a group with three top 7 nationally ranked teams.

hmmmm....
Let Achmed take a look.
Holy Crap! Bishop England in the finals
So much for the easiest road CS (camel stuff)

"Silence, I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
Goal
Goal
Good day for pictures
Bad day for Wando

Line to Farragut/Wando pictures
http://www.winkflash.com/photo/public.aspx?u=palmettocup2010&ic=8423001

As I find time I will continue posting previous games to the Palmetto Cup winkflash site
http://www.palmettocup2010.winkflash.com/

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”
Brace
Brace
PALMETTO CUP WEBCAM
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/palmetto-cup

Saturday, April 10
Brookland-Cayce High School
The Cage @ Cayce, SC

11th Place Match

FT Chapin 2-1 Pinewood Prep
Goals: (P) Justin White 8'; (C) Chris Ricketson 37', Dylan Matthiessen 44'.
Assists: (C) Bradham Wilder.
Shots: C 14-2 P.
Saves: (C) Jason Vaeth, 1; (P) Robert Beebe, 5.
Corner Kicks: C 3-4 P.
Offsides: C 2-1 P.
Fouls: C 7-7 P.
Cautions: (C) Evan Stone, 25'; Chris Ricketson, 56'; (P) Justin White, 56'; Dillion Thies, 60'.
Ejections: none.
Officials: (R) John Mower; (AR) Barry Lee; (AR) Rick Coker.
Weather: 66 Degrees, Clear.
Records: C (8-4-1, 1-2-1 PC); P (10-9, 0-4-0 PC).

Goal
Goal
Oh!!!
I forgot. If anyone wants access to the higher resolution pictures:
1) Sign up for a www.winkflash.com account
2) send me an email with your winkflash user name (hetakespictures@hotmail.com)

Brace
Brace
PALMETTO CUP WEBCAM

Saturday, April 10
The Cage @ Cayce, SC

9th Place Match

FT Walhalla 2-3 Cardinal Newman
Goals: (W) Eli Cothran 14', 27'; (CN) Nick O'Rourke, 17'; Thomas Touma, 30', Jonathan Cleary, 37'.
Assists: (W) Carlos Aguillar; (CN) Cleary.
Shots: W 5-10 CN.
Saves: (W) Graham Metalik, 3; (CN) Timmy Cunningham, 2.
Corner Kicks: W 1-2 CN.
Offsides: W 2-1 CN.
Fouls: W 8-9 CN.
Cautions: (CN) Mike Collins, 33'; (W) Giovanni Cuevas, 33'.
Officials: (R) Barry Lee; (AR) John Mower; (AR) Kamran Azad.
Weather: 69 Degrees, Clear.
Records: W (6-8-1, 0-3-1 PC); CN (10-5, 1-3-0 PC).

Goal
Goal
If Nick and Thomas scored...CN must be up...right?

Brace
Brace
PALMETTO CUP WEBCAM

Saturday, April 10
The Cage @ Cayce, SC

7th Place Match

FT, Brookland-Cayce 0-2 Norman North
Goals: (NN) Will Smith, 7'; Brandon Little Axe, 31'.
Assists: none.
Shots: BC 5-12 NN.
Saves: (BC) Chris Duzan, 5; (NN) Nick Nance, 1.
Corner Kicks: BC 1-4 NN.
Offsides: BC 0-6 NN.
Fouls: BC 1-3 NN.
Cautions: none.
Officials: (R) Barry Lee; (AR) John Mower; (AR) Kamran Azad.
Weather: 71 Degrees, Clear.
Records: BC (11-4-2, 1-2-1 PC); NN (6-3, 2-2-0 PC).

J
bench
bench
J
Sorry in advance for the monster post that follows:
Hindsight makes everything clear, so this is just a suggestion that today’s Semi-Final/Final solution not be used as precedent in future tournaments.I believe everyone tried to do their best with the decision, but it seems like the course taken took most of the meaning out of the Semi-Final and Final matches.

The Semi-Finals should have been played in accordance with the normal seeding procedures – 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3. In this case Wando was #1 seed, Farragut #2, so assuming they both won their matches, they would have met in the Final. Instead, since Farragut already knew they would not be able to play in the Final, they would have had to forfeit the championship match, and that’s no fun for anyone, so I imagine this was part of the reason the decision was made the way it was.

Because Farragut would not have been able to play in the championship match, should they have had any chance at winning the tournament? I have never seen any tournament where a team that doesn’t play in the championship match gets to win. Very strange. Farragut's early departure advantaged them, but disadvantaged the other three Semi-Final teams.

This would be my proposed solution, prior to the tournament, knowing one team would not be able to make the finals: The tournament proceeds as normal up through Semi-Final play – with all the regular seeding being adhered to for those games (although Farragut should still play the earlier time). If Farragut won their match (#2 v. #3), then there is no choice but to have them forfeit the Final. Allow them to keep the “Finalist” recognition and their 4-0 record.

Then play the Final as follows – the winner of #1 v. #4 is obviously through to the Final. Then between the losers of the Semi-Finals decide who advances based on points (clean slate – no group play points allowed). So, which ever team scored more goals, even though they lost, should advance to the Finals. If there was a tie, then go to PKs.

This solution would keep all games meaningful for the most teams: Farragut has motivation to win their Semi-Final match because they want to keep a winning record and could talk about how they would have won the Final if it weren’t for the Prom. They don’t lose anything, keep bragging rights, and make their girlfriends happy.

Wando would have motivation to win because they want to pass through to the Final without having their fate resting on the score of the other Semi-Final. But they would also know that if they didn’t win, they would still have a chance at a Final match berth if they had a higher score, and they would be motivated to get on the board. (On the other hand, with today’s solution, it also doesn’t make sense for Wando to get an automatic pass through to play in the Final after they lost their Semi-Final).

BE and Fort Mill would both be motivated to win, or build their score, because they both would have a chance at going to the Final regardless of who loses.

Then, with this lineup in a Final match, both teams are playing for themselves. In the current arrangement, Wando is essentially playing for Farragut. It could be hard to be motivated to win that game since success means that the team who just smacked you down 4-0 would be the tournament champions. This would also be better for BE if they win, because then they can unhesitatingly say they won the tournament – now their victory may be a bit tainted because they actually did not play the “best team” of the tournament.

The rewards of the first Semi-Final match weren’t congruous: the first Semi-Final game was really one team playing for first, and the other team playing for a chance to get to Finals (where they would still have to win one more game in order to win the tournament).

Since this situation was known prior to the tournament, it doesn’t seem like the scenarios were taken to their logical conclusions. The rules should not depend on how WE think the tournament should turn out (it seems like everyone thought Wando and Farragut were the best anyway so they just wanted them to play regardless of the rules). The result of the tournament should be on the performance of those specific teams on those specific dates, in accordance with rules in place before match play begins. We all know how unpredictable soccer can be, so there’s no telling what may have happened if all Semis were played as seeded. Instead, the first Semi-Final match was basically being treated as the championship match, so today, the Semis followed the Final. Weird.

That said, Farragut was an excellent team and deserved their 4-0 win today. They displayed sportsmanship and skill, and I hope they return to the Palmetto Cup next year.

Brace
Brace
PALMETTO CUP WEBCAM

Saturday, April 10
The Cage @ Cayce, SC

5th Place Match

55' played, Northwestern 2-0 Christ Church
Goals: (N) Ricky Garbanzo, 2'; Ali Martinez, 7'.
Assists: Cody Parks (2).
Shots: N 8-6 CC.
Saves: (N) Sam Faris, 1; (CC) Christopher Woody, 1.
Corner Kicks: N 1-0 CC.
Offsides: N 1-0 CC.
Fouls: N 3-5 CC.
Cautions: none.
Officials: (R) Jason Kent; (AR) Marion Shull; (AR) David Erbacher
Weather: 72 Degrees, Clear.
Records: N (14-2, 3-1-0 PC); CC (8-3-2, 1-1-2 PC).

Last edited by Dave Easley; 04/10/10 10:35 PM.
Page 25 of 28 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard