Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Go USC #124088 06/09/09 01:09 AM
goal kick
goal kick
go usc so did you take math in high school or just skip it? coach young did the math for you and you still dont get it.

Relax...breathe,then bust it!!
Coach Young #124089 06/09/09 03:03 AM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

The two schools petitioned and we're granted. Travel were the stated reasons. At #47, that would not make them "...have a bigger student body than half the 4A team". Only one 4A team would they be larger than in that case.

I'm still trying to get over a 2A school that's bigger than a 4A school. That's a bit...unusual.

I've got good news and bad news...
Coach Chass #124090 06/09/09 03:06 AM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Correction...TWO 2A schools that were bigger than 4A schools.

transplant #124091 06/09/09 03:18 AM
brace
brace
I will agree the numbers do not even come close to placing Riverside in the upper half then or now! They are how ever part of the middle 50% (12-36) of AAAA populalation now. Anyone who really gets into this can put the numbers into excell and come up with about a dozen statistical breakdowns, but the plain and simple fact is that there are a lot of schools playing against schools much larger/smaller than themselves and the fairness of that is questionable.
The Nation Ford thing is simply a matter of the district wanting to kepp both of its high schools in the same division. The funny thing is that the 2007 number had no seniors at NFHS (becasue it was 1st year of school and no seniors were there as they were allowed to graduate from FMHS), and FMHS numbers included juniors who would not be there as seniors! So in effect Fort Mill school district placed both of its high schools in AAAA when they were both actually only AAA schools. I am sure someone would say well they wanted to save travel money or well the growth should have gotten them back to AAAA level but the economic down turn slowed that. Well they only made it to 59th with FMHS and I doubt 48th was even achievable so this was a case of the board blowing it and making it unfair to its players.

In the Riverside case they did just the opposite to them, from 47th to 34th well it seems really clear someone was sandbagging, but hey the board was using the system to give its players an advantage, some might say a rather unfair one, but within the rules. The question is really one of why they really requested to stay down in the smaller divison if the AD says to save travel well then I guess there are not enough AAAA schools in their area.

Right we all believe that one!
(and do not think I am bashing the Riverside players they earned the wins, after all NHWS beat Irmo a much larger school who beat Wando an even larger school. The difference was they were playing in the division they belonged in and won it all)

Coach Chass #124092 06/09/09 03:22 AM
brace
brace
Quote:

Correction...TWO 2A schools that were bigger than 4A schools.

Well now I guess we can have faith that the system is "fair" and all will workout!

The Chief #124093 06/09/09 04:30 AM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Well, the classifications were based on projections...Ashley Ridge and Cane Bay are brand-new schools in Dorchester and Berkeley Counties, respectively. They started as 9th and 10th grade only, but apparently the numbers are way up already, but they are placed in 2A for a two-year cycle in spite of having more students than a number of 4A schools.

Wish they had been placed in 4A from the start with regions 7 and 8 AAAA...it would have solved this idiotic mess the HSL has made of playoff spots between those two regions--but then they wouldn't have been able to send 5 teams to the playoffs from their 8-team region.

Did I say idiotic mess?

Just checking. Thought I might have left that out inadvertently.

The Chief #124094 06/09/09 04:21 PM
G
throw in
throw in
G
Quote:

In the Riverside case they did just the opposite to them, from 47th to 34th well it seems really clear someone was sandbagging, but hey the board was using the system to give its players an advantage, some might say a rather unfair one, but within the rules. The question is really one of why they really requested to stay down in the smaller divison if the AD says to save travel well then I guess there are not enough AAAA schools in their area.

Hey I was just wanting to get the question out there as to why 4A schools could play in a 3A region. OK they were not in the top half but they are definitly in the 4A classification. And Travel, come on give me a break. Mauldin, Spartanburg, Dorman, Byrns, TL Hanna, Wren, Westside, Hillcrest. A lot of schools within 30 minutes. Don't get me wrong Riverside is very good and would compete for the state title in 4A as well.

It seems to me that it should be pretty much black and white when it comes to numbers.

Running with the big dogs
Go USC #124095 06/10/09 12:22 AM
brace
brace
Quote:

Quote:

Hey I was just wanting to get the question out there as to why 4A schools could play in a 3A region. OK they were not in the top half but they are definitly in the 4A classification. And Travel, come on give me a break. Mauldin, Spartanburg, Dorman, Byrns, TL Hanna, Wren, Westside, Hillcrest. A lot of schools within 30 minutes. Don't get me wrong Riverside is very good and would compete for the state title in 4A as well.

It seems to me that it should be pretty much black and white when it comes to numbers.

I am not sure i would say they would compete for the AAAA title look at thier record against AAAA playoff teams this year. They did not perform at a level that would make me think they are able to win at the next level. Sorry not opinion just looking at record.

To be fair the numbers are from 2007 when they set the brackets. Now like I said before we can question motivation as to why a growing school chose to ask to stay down but they were not 34th then they were only 47th (although had FT Mill reported its projected true numbers then maybe Riverside is 46th).

Black and white with numbers.... HAHAHAHA, never someone is always looking for an edge and other schools are looking to truely save money by getting in a bracket with lesser travel, remember this is for all sports! All we can do is wonder if after two years they can get it right or if we have to wiat another two years and see how off they were this time.

The Chief #124096 06/11/09 01:47 AM
S
throw in
throw in
S
Riverside has one more year in 3A and will move up to 4A in the 2010-2011 school year I would assume this is when Ft Mill is moving down?

soccercrazy #124097 06/11/09 11:34 AM
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Realignment: Time to expect sweeping changes
The (Rock Hill) Herald
June 11, 2009
by Barry Byers

http://www.heraldonline.com/sports/prep/story/1402061.html

3 pages. Very good article. Lists 135-day enrollment for all schools.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard