Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

Should be no more than one soccer club per Wal-Mart or McDonalds!

We should be so lucky. Our site and village simply has a Dollar Store and Barbers shop. I can get my hair cut at half time but no chance for some of those wonderful McDonald fries.

Ooh, plenty of opportunity for concession sales...

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Cainhoy,

There are 11 Walmarts in the Charleston-Summerville market.

Do you have 33 different clubs down there in the Low Country?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Give us time..we're working on it

brace
brace
Do not forget that we also have CUFC (Charlotte type), CSA (Charlotte Socccer Acad), Steel Creek (charlotte), and Discoveries!

I point this becasue there are a significant number of players from Ft Mill in each of these other clubs. If fact IMHO the quality girls teams in the area are playing in the Charlotte clubs.
The Discoveries and Carolina Select almost merged but then something to big to work out got in the way. Upper Palmetto I am not positive but I believe they grew out of a few peoples dislike of Carolina Select.

Sad thing is that quality of teams for area is below what it could be if the clubs could come together to unify and field more teams at the right levels!

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Interesting dialog and worth a post to stir it up a little.

While I agree three clubs in a town the size of Fort Mill does indeed sound strange, you would have to consider the benefits of local rivalry before we jump to distilling (youth) soccer down to three clubs in the State. Growing up just south of Gatwick Airport (Sussex, England) it was always a lot of fun to watch the local games with the biggest for the kids on my block being Crystal Palace vs Brighton & Hove Albion. Of course for a few bucks more you could go to London (less than my journey to Summerville today) and watch West Ham vs. Chelsea or my personal favorite the North London rivalry Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal. Consider all these teams and a plethora of smaller less known (not that Brighton & Hove are that well known) professional, amateur, and youth clubs fit in the space occupied by the greater Charleston region (i.e about 40 miles across) today and I find myself wondering why we can't do better at getting more kids involved right here and filling every club (and adding more - oh we just did).

Not sure what my point is here other than promote a degree of local competition that always generates excitement and helps provide choices for parents. Granted it makes it more difficult to bring the best together but not impossible.
Not sure who our local rivals will be Goose Creek, Mount P, or DISA. In any case we're looking forward to it and will give it our best.

Final thought as I sit wtriting this and looking at an envelope that arrived today in the mail and contained a registration form for a 6 year old boy I met last week when we visited Cainhoy Elementary and spoke to their PTO. The family lives in Huger and I recall the mother saying to me as we discussed our plans " we are so blessed to see something like this, you are the answer to our prayers" Please consider these families who simply can not afford the trip to Summerville or even MP, just a 30 minute drive down Hwy 41. All of us need to reach out and engage more kids. I can guarantee back when I was 6 and dreaming of playing for Brighton, I could always find a field, goals, and team to play with without driving 40 miles.

Now I fear this has no bearing on the original post and the geography and capacity for soccer in Fort Mill so please forgive me.

S
goal
goal
S
Cainhoy
any chance of you fielding a u13/14G for this fall?

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
We would love to but seen little interest so far mainly due to our early focus on younger teams. We do have a U12G set to go already and are just about to embark on a large marketing and awareness campaign designed to drive registration through June and July. I've been watching your posts and know there is an interest.

I will say we will have the facilities, passion, and full sized field to support it. Just need the girls and a competent coach for this level at LSYSA (rec).

S
goal
goal
S
sounds good, all the best getting that up & running.

brace
brace
Hey go make plans for the conquest of your area in your own thread This here ones for us to bemoan the mess we have up here! Look you got the beach and now you want to take our thread too! How about giving us a little dignity here!

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Hurst66 WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT BRA?

Stuff White People Like: #589 - Guy Fieri
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard