Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#124199 06/04/09 06:48 PM
T
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
T
Just curious as to the thoughts as to the naming of the U15 team from the "new" Bridge.

Are teams considered Premier even if they don't play in RSPL. I can understand that CESA calls their U13 and under teams Premier at times, because it is their top team in that age group before they are eligible for R3PL play.

But curious as to how many other Clubs have labeled a team as Premier when they are playing in the SCYSA Challenge League.

I know one of the reasons I heard repeatedly as to why some parents wanted to play there is because the team was going to be a Premier team. I asked one parent if they knew what R3PL was and she gave me a blank stare. Said that all she knew was they told her it would be a premier team and that was where her daughter was going to play because she wanted her daughter playing premier. (Also overheard another player tell some of her friends she was going to play for them because the coaches told her they could guarantee her a college scholarship.

I really don't want for my post to sound so pessimistic about these girls, but I do wonder about naming a team premier, when they are not playing in a premier league.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Last edited by tigers87; 06/04/09 07:05 PM.
L
Goal
Goal
L
Premier (or elite) indicates that it the club's top level team in a specific age. some clubs use colors to indicate level of team. greensboro twisters (green) top level (white) 2nd level. nothing to do with what league team plays in.

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Maybe it's the same thought process for naming a top team elite.

T
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
T
I could understand Elite for the top team. I guess when I see Premier for any team over U14 I think of those teams that are playing in R3PL, not for a team in the Challenge League.

M
kick off
kick off
M
Well they(Coastal) are using same logo and colors as Columbia. Columbia name their top teams elite so I guess Coastal went with premier. Doesn't reflect what league they are playing in.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
You can call all the clubs that use this sort of team naming to get an explanation. I have seen other clubs that didn't have a team playing in the premier league use this name before. Not a big deal in my book....

L
throw in
throw in
L
I have had the same questions in the past. I have not heard it used in South Carolina much but in Georgia they often compare teams by "Select" rating. For example, the Arsenal may have a U-17 playing S-1 level (in their case it would be a "Blue" or "Gold" named team, and also might have a U-17 playing S-2 level soccer (named a "Green" or maybe even a "White" team). I really don't know how the Select "S" rating is used in South Carolina but in the Georgia leagues the girls would be playing Athena A if they were S-1 level teams and it was typically described as Premier level soccer. Georgia still had their R3PL teams but I don't know if that was 'above' S-1 or not. They tended to rotate in and out of the Athena A level on a year to year basis. Teams playing lower levels Athena B through D were not usually described as Premier. I was often confused when we played SC ball by the differences in Challenge vs Premier, vs Classic. South Carolina seemed to have broader categories than Georgia.

O
kick off
kick off
O
Some clubs that label their top teams premier are taking what was once an earned title just to get parents to buy into the team. Reality is that most of these kids are barely Challenge players. It's a great marketing ploy you are always going to get a few gullible people....just hope it doesn't back fire and that they can live up to the name.

B
kick off
kick off
B
I think it's either wishful thinking or scam marketing on the gullible.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Scam marketing or wishful thinking, I have not seen any remarks about this one as yet.
So why call a team elite and they are playing classic soccer is SC?

Let's move on, too many attempts to get a cheap shot in at some clubs..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard