Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
T
First of all, I did not intend for the thread to become a bash on the team. My question was merely to ask why a team would label themselves premier when they are are not playing in R3PL.

As to calling themselves Elite, I personally don't think any teams over U14 should be calling themselves Elite unless they have placed in at least the top four in the state in the previous year's state cup.

I've seen other teams call themselves Elite and they really were not. They were your average Challenge team. I think teams in Challenge have the right to call themselves challenge, teams in Classic should be called classic. I don't necessarily agree with teams calling themselves Elite or Premier unless they are in R3PL or had a strong showing at their State Cup.

That's just my opinion. It is not meant as a cut or slam about anyone else.

I think this team looks fairly strong, and don't intend to bash anyone. Just wondered about the name is all.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
I can't believe a club coach could "guarantee" a college scholarship to one of his players (unless he was also a college coach).

B
kick off
kick off
B
Premier, Challenge, Classic are all leagues that connotate a level of play in South Carolina. Elite, White, Gold, Superfantastic, are all adjectives used to describe teams in a club.The use of the league designation in the name of the team implies that that team has achieved that level of play. In some cases that is a lie eventhough it sounds good.
That is the problem that most people have with clubs using that designation for a team that in some cases is not even eligible for Premier play. Do not kid yourself that the DOC's in the clubs are well aware of the marketing potential this designation brings to the team. I know many parents that were thinking their U-12 premier team and the U-16 Premier team were on the same level but of different ages.
I know we are talking semantics but sooner or later someone is going to start calling their U-11 boys team the U-11 Champions League Premier and some dumb a-- parent is going to start looking for their games on the soccer channel.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
What channel is that on?
Never joined a team based on a team's name..I would not recommend it either..
If your child is playing at the challenge level,I would hope that most have been around the block a time or two and let past experiences help in their decision making..

Last edited by coldhardtruth; 06/05/09 02:49 PM.
S
goal
goal
S
The truth has been spoken!

If you child is playing at what you consider a premier level than the parents should know that team fairly well at the end of tryouts. Talking with the coach post tryouts will give you a feel for where you child may fit into the team. It also allows you to size up the coach. Some great coaches may not be a fit for your child.

I would be leery of a club coach who would guarantee a college scholarship. Ya think he might be lying? Most if not all club coaches I have dealt with are all about developing the players skills when talking on an individual basis.

I have always felt that if your child is good enough they will get noticed. However, the child must be ready to seize the opportunities that are opened before them!

T
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
T
I've heard it from more than one coach here in South Carolina. Happens way more than it should.

I was told one of the reasons that the older girls team from Bridge left and went back to Mt Pleasant was because they realized they were not getting college scholarships so they decided they wanted a more relaxed fall season.

Now I heard that from a friend who heard it from a friend, so I know that the story may have changed as it got passed around.

But yep, know some players who switched to Bridge/SAA/Carolina girls this year because the coaches were going around telling kids and their parents he will get them a scholarship.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Do not know why the girls went back to MP but if they went back for a more relaxed Fall season..I would think that they wanted a break from Champ..I hear she is very demanding and to play HS ball and club ball for the same coach could wear on some after awhile..

L
Goal
Goal
L
tigers87 - what club do your kids play for?

goal
goal
Ok, I may be way off here, but is it possible the coach was talking about getting the player a scholarship to play at the particular club, i.e., having a portion, or all of their club/training fees waivered?

I realize you did mention the word "college" in a previous sentence, but you also mentioned you heard it from a friend of a friend; and I know how stuff like that can get all twisted.

Just a thought....

goal
goal
tigers87, also, where do you see the names of any teams from the "new" Bridge? not saying it isn't so, just wondering.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard