Next Thread
Print Thread
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
7/1/09

South Carolina soccer upgrades field
The State

COLUMBIA, SC - South Carolina is installing a state-of-art grass field and drainage system at Gamecock soccer's Stone Stadium.

The renovations are expected to be completed by August and cost about $462,000, according to athletic administrator Kevin O'Connell who oversees department construction.

Men's coach Mark Berson said the improvements will make the surface one of the best and most reliable in the country.

There have been instances in the past where the field was unplayable.

Women's coach Shelley Smith remembered playing Florida in a 2006 game as the rain kept falling. It went into overtime and puddles of standing water squished up with every free kick and contested ball.

"We just decided to call it," Smith said, the game ending at 1-1.

Berson said home NCAA contests against American in 1985 and Duke in 1995, both 2-0 losses, were marred by bad weather. "You don't want to lose the home field advantage," he said.

The revamped field will have a sand base and a complex, modern drainage system. The bumps and ruts of the past will be gone, replaced by a laser-graded, grass showpiece. The completed surface should easily hold up to the 20 or so games played by the two teams during the fall season, Berson said.

The project should be finished a few weeks before the men play an exhibition at home against High Point on Aug. 25. The women first play there against College of Charleston on Aug. 27.

The upgrade is the latest in South Carolina's plan to overhaul its aging athletic complex. The athletic department opened a $35.6 million baseball stadium in February. Directly across from the stadium, nicknamed The Graveyard because it's alongside the House of Peace cemetery, is the rising $13 million Dodie Anderson Academic Enrichment Center.

Athletic director Eric Hyman has plans for more than $150 million in additional improvements expected to reshape most sports offices, practice fields and competition venues.

In April, university trustees approved $49.9 million for athletic projects, including a 12-court tennis center, an administrative building and a parking garage.

Berson, who began the NCAA program in 1978, remembers during that inaugural soccer year when he and his players unloaded bleachers from a truck so fans could have a place to sit at varsity games.

"We as coaches are really thankful to the administration for what we've been able to do," Berson said.

South Carolina's soccer surface was serviceable, but had flaws that brought concerns, both Berson and Smith said.

The field's longtime sprinklers were the kind you might formerly find on a golf course, big and round and easy to slip on if you try and plant your foot, said Smith, the women's coach since 2001.

Despite the field deficiencies, both soccer programs have thrived.

Berson has had just two losing campaigns in 31 seasons in charge of the Gamecocks. He's made the NCAA tournament 18 times and produced such U.S. soccer stars as Josh Wolff, Clint Mathis and current national team member, goalkeeper Brad Guzan.

Smith's made her mark here as well with only one losing season since 2001 and consecutive NCAA appearances in 2007 and 2008 for the first time in program history. In Sept. 2007, the Gamecocks opened the season with a 1-0 victory at powerhouse North Carolina.

Berson and Smith said the two soccer teams should see benefits from the enhanced facility, including the potential to hold conference tournaments and NCAA tournament games. Berson's club competes in Conference USA since the SEC does not offer host men's soccer championships.

"This is something that can be done right away that will directly impact student athletes' experience here and our ability to host events," Berson said. "So it has an important competitive aspect and is important for both programs."

C
goal
goal
C

I drove by the other day and there was still a very large hole where a soccer field should be. Do we know if they are still on target to finish the field?

Here I go again!
throw in
throw in
Rumor has it - and this IS strictly rumor - they need 10 straight days without rain to have it finished...

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
I go by the graveyard everyday on my way home from work. They're coming along; they laid some rolls of material a couple of weeks ago, some kind of fibrous material; I remember it being something like TurfTex, don't quote me. They now have layered several inches of some crushed gravel or other rock like material over the top of it.

B
goal
goal
B
All of that are parts of the advanced drainage system being installed. Project is currently on schedule for completion.

C
goal
goal
C

So I guess I will have to wait for a very rainy day to go out to a game to see the new improvements.

Here I go again!
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
The sod is in! Field looks very level. Sod is OK with some raised patched and a couple of spots. A retaining wall has been put in some sections along Whaley and the cemetery side. With the chainlink fence missing, it is hard to tell what the far side sideline will look like when finished.

Link Copied to Clipboard