Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#125149 08/09/09 04:37 PM
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
This Wednesday I am going to be working in the Clemson area. Can anyone suggest a restaurant/bar where I can watch the Mexico-USA match?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #125150 08/10/09 03:18 AM
C
kick off
kick off
C
For down town Clemson I would suggest Wingin It. I have watched a few USA and MLS games there. As for restaurants I would say beef o bradys and I would assume all the Mexican places with a television would be showing it. Hopefully there will not be any pre season football on as that will be the main competition haha.

Goal
Goal
Directv is showing the match on 203. I know that Dish is showing the match on mun2. According to the us soccer website, any official soccer bar will have the match.

Fans Can Watch USA-Mexico Qualifier at U.S. Soccer Official Bars Around the Country

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Can someone confirm that Wingin It will be showing the match in English?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #125153 08/10/09 03:37 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Ok I will be the first to bite....

Why would anyone schedule a match of this magnitude at 3PM on a weekday?

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Since my only thought has to do with Heat, I imagine that the next game for mexico in the US will be in Anchorage Alaska at midnight

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Ok I will be the first to bite....

Why would anyone schedule a match of this magnitude at 3PM on a weekday?

My guess would be because they can

S
Goal
Goal
S
Quote:

Since my only thought has to do with Heat,

You answered your own question. Mexico City has the deadly trinity......altitude, heat and smog. And they use all 3 to the max.

It's on a Wednesday because that's the designated FIFA day for international matches. They could have picked any time since they're going to sell out Azteca Stadium no matter what but picked the hottest part of the day. Remember several years ago we played them in Columbus, OH in February I believe. Temps were below freezing and the wind chill was worse. Advantage to the US.

Bolivia sometimes plays at 13,000+ feet.....I imagine Russia has some nice home dates in the winter too!!

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
I don't think FIFA allows Bolivia to play in La Paz anymore.

Hurst66 #125158 08/12/09 11:16 AM
Goal
Goal
Prediction for match

0-20': Tense, conservative soccer in which Mexico dominates possession 58-42% but never really moves the ball into the attacking third.

21': A clearly drunken Eric Wynalda eludes security and runs shirtless onto the field screaming, "Get some dirt in your **************" at the USNMT or possibly at every fan in Azteca. Before he can clarify which, he is billy-clubbed into submission and dragged off the field by police.

22': Landon Donovan puts a perfect cross onto the powerful head of Alan Gordon, whom Bob Bradley has smuggled into the stadium and unveiled as his secret weapon just before kick-off. Gordon scores, prompting several Mexican defenders to leave the field in shame and, during an impromptu halftime press conference, to announce their retirement from soccer. 1-0 USA.

29': Donovan puts another cross into the box. This time Gordon falls over and misses. But because all the Mexican players are afraid to defend Gordon because they'll have to retire if he scores while they're marking him, Donovan has time and space to get onto the end of his own cross and volley it home. 2-0 USA.

30'-75'. Tense, conservative soccer in which Mexico dominates possession 58-42% but never really moves the ball into the attacking third.

76'. A still-drunk Eric Wynalda, now showing some nasty bruises from his "interview" with the cops, once again eludes security and runs onto the field yelling something about Jim Rome, Rafa Marquez, and Steve Cohen. Before security can reach Wynalda, Javier Aguirre sneaks up behind him and puts him on the ground with a kick to the groin. Somehow, this gets Michael Bradley and Rico Clark
red-carded.

77'. Dissatisfied with the team's performance, the Mexican Fed fires Javier Aguirre and replaces him with Ricardo Lavolpe.

77'-82'. After the red card expulsions, Mexico seizes control of the game by dominating possession 80-20% but not taking a single shot on goal.

83'. Dissatisfied with the team's performance, the Mexican Fed fires Ricardo Lavolpe and replaces him with Fernando Clavijo.

83'-88'. Mexico retreats into its own half and dominates possession 90-10%.

88'. Dissatisfied with the team's performance, the Mexican Fed fires Fernando Clavijo and replaces him with Don Francisco from Sábado Gigante.

89'. Alan Gordon finally escapes from the locker into which Onyewu and Bocanegra had shoved him at halftime so that Charlie Davies could be subbed in to replace him.

89'. Gio Dos Santos rips a shot into the upper vee from six yards out. Tim Howard stares angrily at the ball, causing it to stop in midair and fall tamely out of bounds. Somehow, this gets Michael Bradley and Rico Clark their second red cards.

89-96'. The ref awards "five minutes" of stoppage time. Mexico pulls back into their own penalty box, doing freestyle juggling tricks and dominating possession 100-0%.

97'. The ref reluctantly blows the whistle.
Final score: USA 2: MEX 0.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard