Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Brace
Brace
Winthrop men in particular don't seem to look at or acknowledge Carolina kids period. Their international flavor didn't show well against Wofford last week, which has 7 NC/SC on team.

Women do a little better job but not enough in my book. Talent pool in NC/SC good enough to have some players on both sides. Hopefully the CofC men's team can show the value. Hats off to Coach Lundy!

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Hurst.

Small schools often have great soccer programs.
Women - Portland
Men - Akron, Santa Clara, Irvine

All of those are "mid-majors" with highly ranked soccer programs. I think that not pursuing in-state talent is a huge mistake. Can you imagine how good Winthrop would have been with Parker, McDonald, Alex, Allen, Newminster, etc. Those girls grew up together and getting the chance to play together again at the college level is something kids dream of. And it would make them a better college program. if Winthrop could get the best SC players to stay and then supplement from outside, you could build a pretty good team (CofC just did it on the men's side with half of the DSC national title team. I think they will end up being a pretty good college team.)

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
cid,
The five girls you mention basically grew up playing on four different club teams. They attend(ed) three different high schools. It's not congruent to Beckham, Giggs, Scholes and the Neville brothers coming up through the ManU system. Welcome to York County.

By the way, the University of Portland has five girls on their roster of 23 that are from the state of Oregon.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
I can tell you for a fact Winthrop has spoken with girls in SC. I also know the men's team has done the same and has to SC boys on the roster now. You must consider, does a kid that grew up near the college want to stay local or get away to school. Very few want to stay, most want the total college experience of going away to school. Also someone mentioned NC players. There are so many schools in the state of NC at all the various levels and once you cross the boarder the cost for a player goes way up. So in turn it would cost a coach more scholarship dollars to compete for NC players with NC schools.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
the 5 playing for Portland, would still be 2 more that Winthrop has from SC. My argument would be that if you become good enough, the best will come whether or not you are only 10 minutes from home. I'll bet that most every girl in Oregon would go to Portland if they got that call. Withrop should make a more conscious (or PR in the media) move to get the best SC players or at least make everyone know they are trying.
Hurst, maybe the York high schools should get together, pull their resources, and get their kids to play together in SC. Probably could put together a State title contender. Just a thought!!!

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
Brace
Brace
soccerman, don't forget the 12 int'l. players on the men's side and still doesn't guarantee a Big South championship or get them by 1st round of NCAA. Hmmmm...if that country doesn't pay for college then I guess a few of our tax dollars do.

F
throw in
throw in
F
Winthrop is a Div I soccer school, with nice facilities and solid academics. Their sales pitch should be to top SC players- you can come here, start immediately and play 4 years. That would be something that the bigger Div I schools, for most, will not offer. For those players used to starting and playing full games, the pitch would be attractive when compared to fighting for playing time against 9-11 top recruits at the larger D Is. Would it work in all cases, no. Would it work for some, probably. I'm not sure, on the women's side, what their sales pitch entails since I have not spoken to anyone who has been recruited by them. That, in itself, is a problem

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
"I'm not sure, on the women's side, what their sales pitch entails since I have not spoken to anyone who has been recruited by them. That, in itself, is a problem "

Ouch!!

If firsttouch is who I think....Winthrop should have been at their house (in SC, not far from campus) as soon as legal to talk. Their experience is kind of the root of the problem....It's inconceivable.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I am with import... Winthrop shows no interest for SC players on the men's side

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Regarding number of SC residents playing at SC schools. Some facts......looking at rosters posted on school websites. Note......Clemson men don't list hometowns.

Men Woman Total
Winthrop 0 3 3
Coastal 7 3 10
C of C 17 7 24
Furman 3 3 6
USC 7 5 12
Clemson Unk 4 4+

Winthrop has 1 male player listed as SC......and he's not. Lived in SW Meck county and went to Olympic HS.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard