Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Daddy,

Of the six schools you list, Winthrop women are probably #6 in the pecking order as "school of choice" for female South Carolina high school players. The five other schools have a richer soccer history.

You could also make the arguement that Charleston Southern, Presbyterian College.....and even Wofford......could have recruiting advantages over Winthrop.

The talent pool in South Carolina is not large enough to provide Winthrop with what they need to be competitive in the Big South without looking out of state. At the current U-16 level (primarily high school sophomores), there are about 50 girls from CESA, Bridge and CUFC playing in the Region 3 Premier League. How many of these girls have what it takes to make the starting 11 for Winthrop. Remember, there are 6 - 8 schools in South Carolina that theoretically will get first shot at the cream of the crop.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
goal
goal
I was hoping my son would be recruited by Winthrop but unless you are a Yankee or foreigner it just won't happen in Rock Hill.

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Hurst I don't see the facts or logic with which you're arguing. Its like this twisted self fulfilling prophecy...don't recruit kids from SC because they won't come here. Please.....

firsttouch laid it out perfectly. If you want the kids....go after them. When some of the better players in the state haven't even been talked to by the school.....ya think there's an issue?

And quite frankly I'm not sure what advantages the other schools have over Winthrop. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I'd guess.

Charleston Southern is a hideous campus thats not really in Charleston. Presbyterian is a good school and a beautiful campus but Clinton is a dying town in the middle of nowhere. Same with Wofford....except while the surrounding area of Sparkle City ain't a lot to brag about, it is better than Clinton. None of them...have been in Winthrop's league soccer wise over the last couple of years.

So academics, facilities, campus, community, soccer reputation......Winthrop shouldn't slide too far down the pecking order.

But the numbers speak and they don't lie. Winthrop has by far fewer instate players.....and its not really close.

L
throw in
throw in
L
This is an interesting discussion. I helped with the recruiting for our Augusta Arsenal and South Aiken girls. Several were interested in South Carolina schools including Winthrop. We had inquiries from many schools and contacted many others including Winthrop. We could not get a reply from Winthrop and a couple of girls could not get the time of day. I tried contacting them with no reply. As far as we could tell Winthrop did not ping the SoccerinCollege, Arsenal, or gotsoccer sites to look at the online info. I emailed player recruiting sheets with no reply and no notice that they were even read. Eventually we were told by other experienced coaches that Winthrop did not recruit from South Carolina. Four of the girls interested are now playing for Coastal Carolina, UNC-Ashville, PC, and Tennessee. All would like to have at least talked with Winthrop. They have one girl there now that wanted to go to school at Winthrop and who was fully capable of playing at that level but would not look at her. Too bad.

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
Why can't you leave this issue alone. Winthrop women are one of the lowest programs in the state and I do not think girls from SC will improve their standings. I did look at rosters and I saw the women have 2 from SC and the men have 2 as well. I also noticed Clemson has 3 boys from SC on the roster and 4 girls on the women's roster. Perhaps you should be jumping on Clemson as well. As for the Winthrop men's team they have arguably been one of the top team in the state over the past 5 years or so. I know that coach Wren of Northwestern played for the coach at Winthrop, so don't you think some of those local players were recruited. I do know they talked with three players off Northwestern's team and they also recruited Ralph Lundy who decided to play for his father. Winthrop men did get burned a few years ago with two local players, that got in trouble and were suspended. I think every coach would like to have as many in-state players as possible on their roster, but in SC there is just not a large pool. It is getting better each year.

Also for crap and giggles I looked at Coastal's roster and they have 1 girl also USC only have a hand full on their roster from SC. You must have something against the Winthrop women's program.

Last edited by scsoccermann; 08/27/09 01:16 AM.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Sorry Slim....the numbers I quoted came directly off of the rosters posted on each schools website. I did miss a kid from Summerville on the Winthrop mens roster. So they have 1 SC kid. Wylie Rea is from the Steele Creek area of Charlotte.....went to Olympic HS. Not Catawba, SC.

Can't compare Winthrop's numbers with anyone elses in this state. They are that bad. You want people to get off of it? Improve the numbers. There's a very strong class of junior girls in this state and I know several who would love to play at Winthrop. These are R3PL, ODP players. Recruit them.

Brace
Brace
Hurst,
PC and Charleston Southern happen to be in same conference as Winthrop. Charleston So facilities below average, PC nice complex, as Winthrop. Winthrop close to Charlotte, nice campus, opportunity to start and play 4 yrs. Play good competition. Chance for NCAA's. I think I could recruit with that and land 3-4 solid SC players. Let's see how some of these players handle not getting significant playing time, etc. But I do need to back off a little regarding Winthrop women because I know she has pitched a few along with watching games. The men, never.

Rick Fielden
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Winthrop is a beautiful school with great facilities and a very exciting D1 men's basketball program. Proximity to Charlotte is a plus and South Carolina climate is a great draw for recruiting girls from the north.

PC's advantage is school size and religious affiliation. Some South Carolina students (and parents) are more attracted to this environment. Wofford has a nice campus, a good academic reputation, and plays in a more competitive conference.

I'll agree. Winthrop can recruit on level terms with Wofford and PC, and may have competitive advantages over Charleston Southern. (Of course Winthrop can't claim that they are opening the college football season against the defending national champs.)

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
"Of course Winthrop can't claim that they are opening the college football season against the defending national champs.) "

Yup.......I'm taking CSU and the 70+ points they're getting!! I just can't see Florida being able to cover that....unless Spurrier were still there.

Winthrop, being a state school....has a big advantage over PC, CSU, Wofford......cost. Even if those other schools are able to put together a package that covers 50-60% of the cost its still more than a lot of families can afford. Yes, some families will be drawn to the small, private school, religiously affiliated environment. But many will be unable to afford it.

And also to Import's point about laying off the WU women's program.....I see where the Winthrop woman's coach is acting as a college consultant/advisor to the girls end of things at Charlotte United. Good step.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
One other point......

Charlotte Observer sports page had an article on the UNC football team and Butch Davis this morning. Talked about how important recruiting was......and that the cardinal rule of recruiting was that you had to win the battle in your own backyard first. UNC football roster over 50% NC kids.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard