Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
kick off
kick off
H
Whoa on Coach Rohan at CCU! No way should they even consider getting rid of him based on this year. I can be critical of the team and his coaching moves (I hope not mean spirited) but I support the team win or lose. This is his 4th year as the head coach and realistically probably 3 full recruiting classes. He has put together a pretty good schedule to get them ready for the conference. After a draw last night with ECU they are 1-8-1. Who knows, could have 3 maybe 4 wins, but don't. After losing 73% of the scoring I think he has discovered the kids he was counting on to step up have not. The main returning forward has one goal and it was a PK and one of the starting OS Mids has taken 1 shot in 10 games....4 goals total and only 2 from play. I think CCU may have lost more than they thought from last year and maybe the ability of the returning Jr/Sr class was masked by Gunning, Monroe etc.

As for the big roster (35) my understanding is he likes to have a bunch of players for Spring. That said losing the assistant 2 weeks before they reported probably does not help. You can only get so many ready to play. With only 2-3 kids from SC and limited budget, the kids must want to be there.

Good kids, good team GPA, no major issues off the field, back to back reg season champs, conference finals 2 years running, losing on PK's then 2-1 last year....at the end of the day...things could be worse!!

H
kick off
kick off
H
That said....CCU 0 ECU 0, nice result for CCU. IMO ECU had the better run of play but I thought pretty even on dangerous chances. Sh/SOG CCU 11/6 ECU 24/11 and a CK adv of 12-4. Ro finally played a new combo in the MF, I thought added a little size and toughness. Finally freed Tupy to go at the goal taking 4 shots with 3 on goal. Same combo at forward which is just horrible. In fact I think they generated 2 shots from their forwards in 110 min. 1 from a player who played 10 minutes. Just don't think the kids he is giving most of the time to can create chances. I swear CCU had balls served on the ground at the 6 and a forward was no where to be found. Defensively they just seem to chase, their shape and coverage is out of whack. I think the central MF was better but they still get nothing from the forwards and the wide players.

They will be competitive in the Big South and if they can find any kind of offense challenge for the title.

C
goal
goal
C
CCU won 5-1 last night. CCU moved the ball well and like every other team kept us on our heels most of the night. Upstate did lose its second and last keeper to a knee injury during the game. The starting keeper is out with an ACL and now the Freshman keeper may be out the rest of the season or at least a week or two with MCL problems. Our star defensive back played keeper last night for the rest of the game and Upstate will now looks at field players for a new keeper.

If CCU had a problem it was in the defense becoming unorganized and allowing players to run free in the back. If it wasn't for the excellent play by the middle back on CCU, things could have been switched. But their Mid-Field play and ability to move the ball around was excellent. In fact they moved the ball so well that they gave themselves lots of opportunites to score but just couldn't cash in on it. CCU will be fine by the end of the season and should be a lot better next season, because all those things are correctable.

Last edited by Chapindad; 09/22/09 01:33 PM.
D
kick off
kick off
D
So it seems that USC-Upstate's season will only get worse now. Whoever the new coach will be should basically given the chance to start from scratch, in other words get rid of any player not up to the level and given the resources to bring in a whole new team.

As for Coastal, I think the yare just having a poor year and Rohan will fix it next season. They have had some good seasons under him, don't see why he university will just let him go for this season.

Also, did you notice last night Wofford lost to South Carolina State 1-0? It is amazing how that school (SCSU) has become so competitive so quickly. It is amazing how they can recruit the type of players they have to that place, but hey, more power to them.

world cup
world cup
I'm sitting across the street from SCSU as I type this. Great result for State.

As for Upstate, I watched them play earlier this year and although the roster may be thin, they had some very creative and dangerous players on the squad. They also fought hard. Sorry to hear about the GK situation.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
goal
goal
C

I think the players are fine, I think the new coach may be able to bring a few players back. The problem is not the players. If it was players then the coach wouldn't be a problem because he did get pretty much a new team every year for the last 4-5 years. That was his excuse each year. When you have 15 players on the team and none of the like or respect the coach, you have a problem.

Here I go again!
I
goal
goal
I
What do you call a coach who is 15-47, w-l, and 53-217, GF-GA?

D
kick off
kick off
D
I don't know, you got me!! What coach are you talking about?

So, let us know!!

H
kick off
kick off
H
Upstate played hard. If they had finished the one they had in the 7/8 minute may have been different. Coach Ro made a change in the MF for the ECU game and used it again at Upstate and it makes a big difference. Agree with Chapindad about the back. They seem to get unorganized and start to chase in the back. They did leave one starter at home. IMO his best 2 outside backs are the freshmen he plays at outside mid. They are just faster and more athletic and both have very good recovery speed. Team is a work in process.

Too bad about the GK. I think they have a group of kids that play very hard. A nice start for a new coach.

D
kick off
kick off
D
IT IS OFFICIAL: USC UPSTATE HIRES NEW WOMEN'S COACH
Renee Lopez from Lees McRae college in North Carolina will be named coached and will start December 1st.

Opinions?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard