Spartanburg Methodist, 1-2-0
USC-Salkehatchie, 0-2-0
USC-Sumter, N/A
USC-Lancaster, N/A

H
kick off
kick off
H
Another tough weekend for the CCU women. Wasn't expecting them to beat W&M (0-3) and George Mason (1-8) out of the CAA but wasn't expecting them to be totally outplayed like they were. They were outshot 27-2 and 26-2 with only 1 shot in the first half in both games. The good news is Morgan Thomas (CESA) scored her first collegiate goal. To me the issue remains a soft central midfield and os mids that are expected to be to defensive. So deep they have no chance to get forward and get in the attack. Ball gets cleared out of the back and it comes right back. They seem to be pretty athletic with okay speed, except the forwards (go figure). I can only believe since they lost so much scoring from last year the coach expects to tie 0-0. Things should get easier for them in the Big South but right now it is just bad soccer.....I mean kickball. The 6-7 young kids seem to bring a higher energy level. At least they are getting a chance to play.

C
goal
goal
C
Talon

You forgot Charleston Southern, I only mention because they beat our tail but of course everyone is doing that. USC Upstate has some talent but they all hate the coach, the school turns over 80-90 percent of the rooster every year and it is not because of new talent coming into the program. It is also not bench players leaving the program. It is very sad to watch and I doubt USC Upstate will win a game this year....

Here I go again!
H
kick off
kick off
H
Chapindad

Don't worry Coastal is coming to town Monday. Actually should have beat Citadel last night but it is Women's soccer. Citadel played hard the full 90 with a bench of 3. IMO same issue for CCU the MF. Played the same 3 kids that lack physical toughness, can't distribute a ball on the ground, etc. This has been the only constant all year. 13-1 corner advantage an I believe they only generated one legit SOG. 19-7 in shots but not many generated from the run of play. A few longer range shots, one off the bar. Having followed them for several years I believe the coach and the Jr/Sr's have been riding the coat tails of last years graduating class. Sadly I don't expect any changes as they get ready for East Carolina on Friday. The coach will think they should have won so all is fine.

H
kick off
kick off
H
Another CCU note,

Was told that the "Volunteer" assistant quit last night. Would not normally post this but was told by 2 players directly that he addressed them. Maybe after a tough loss cooler heads will prevail. The girls say they really like him and he understands the game. He works with the GK's. Older guy from England who loves Liverpool. You know the type. May not be familiar coaching young ladies but knows how the game s/b played. That would leave one coach for a roster of 35?!

L
Goal
Goal
L
would not a coaching change be in order for ccu and usc-u at season end? and wow 35 players on a roster! who would want to sign-on to play at ccu if the coach has 35 players on his roster?

C
goal
goal
C
Quote:

would not a coaching change be in order for ccu and usc-u at season end? and wow 35 players on a roster! who would want to sign-on to play at ccu if the coach has 35 players on his roster?

It seems that you are right. The coach let the players know that he has been informed that USC Upstate will not be renewing his contract after the season.

35 players, WOW! We are lucky to end the season each year with 11. We are already down to 14 players and will probably be down to 6 for the spring workout. It is critical to retain players. Spring ball does you no good if you don't have a team to train.

Here I go again!
C
goal
goal
C
Charleston Southern is 5-2-0

BTW, SC State is playing very well for this being only their second season ever. Last year they where very bad and is what you expected but they have rebounded very well. They now are 3-4, with the loses to some good teams that they could have won.

Good coaching in Women's soccer is still the most important key to a successful program.

Here I go again!
K
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
K
SC State has had a team for several years, this is not their 2nd year for a program; it is the 2nd year they have had a real coach or someone who is recruiting for them. I was at CCU and we played them in 2004.

K
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
K
i know rohan, and he works hard in recruiting; the girl's make the choice to attend ccu knowing the numbers. he has always recruited large numbers...it is unfortunate that ccu is not doing well, but what matters is the conference, conference tourney, and making it to the ncaa. They still have a chance for that and maybe they will click then. I don't know if ccu would change coaches, as he has had successful years since being the head coach until this year...usc upstate-he has struggled year to year from what i have seen, and if they are going D1, it will continue!

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

BTW, SC State is playing very well for this being only their second season ever.

SC State has had a team for more than 2 years. I saw them play at USC in their first season, which I believe was 2004. It is, however, only the second year for Coach Bugariu. Amy Olson was the coach for 4 years before Bugariu.

D
kick off
kick off
D
S.C. State is actually playing their 10th season of NCAA Division I soccer. My daughter was recruited by the SCSU coach when he was at Belmont Abbey (proved to be too expensive, so we did not sign), but we were really impressed with the coaching staff and have followed their progress at SCSU.

It is amazing how they got all those California kids to attend SCSU of all places. Last year they took over so late they could not bring anyone in, so this is their first recruiting class. They may not compete at the highest level, but they may take a few scalps every season. Best of luck to them.

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Upstate's Mens and Womens programs are both in disarray! Head coaches that contiunue to not get the job done, year after year, but yet keep their jobs. The turnover in both programs has been out of control for a while. Players are leaving for a reason, maybe the AD needs to wake up and fire his buddies. Facilities, academic programs, location and the talent pool in the vicinity all suggest the soccer programs should be more attractive and successful. I have been close to both programs for many years and I can assure anyone the alumni of both programs are disgusted with the results, leadership or lack of,and continued decline of once proud programs!

C
goal
goal
C

I apologize to SCSU. I thought I had read last year that it was their first season. I must have read it wrong. I still am impressed by the difference in the team from last year to this year.

Upstate is a Division I school. They have been in the probation process for the last two years and came off probation this year I believe. Upstate has the ability to be one of the top schools in their conference.

Celtic9, I really hope they go out a hire a good coach soon and let the healing process between the players and the school start. Maybe if they get a good hire soon they will be able to field a team for spring ball, get some of the girls from last year that are still at the school to come back and get the girls excited about next season.

Here I go again!
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
I thought I would look at the USC Upstate soccer pages to find out about the women's coach. He must be buddies with the AD because he has a "65-89-13 record at the University in his nine seasons. He has tallied a 84-105-15 mark in 11 years as a collegiate head coach."
That is straight off the website. How do you have a record that is 24 games under .500 in 9 years and not get fired??? Same old, same old. Colleges hire coaches with "college experience" regardless of records instead of new young enthusiastic coaches with new ideas.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Chapindad, Hope the transition is a quick one and he/she is able to do a quick repair job. Number of girls still there willing to play....for someone else. Last asst. coach got too popular so he/they got rid of her. What goes around comes around. Hopefully, whomever is left after this season will enjoy the new coach.
Cid, reason the coach is still there despite the less than quality record is obvious if you look hard enough.
Now if AD would do the same to the Men's Program....

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
I know where you are going Celtic. It is unfortunate that politics overrule what is best for the student-athlete.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
G
kick off
kick off
G
The USC Upstate men's coach took the team to two Division II championship games. Did he forget how to coach since then? Or will it simply take a few years to upgrade the talent to the Division I level? Or maybe would USC Upstate (and several other schools in the state) have been better off to remain content at the Division II level?

C
goal
goal
C
getout,

I know zero about the men's program other than the young men come out to every one of the women's home games and show a lot of support and class. Hence why I posted in the women's thread and not the men's thread.

But let me clear up my position a little. While wins are nice they are not why I thought the coach needed to go. He has little to no respect for the players and will throw them under the bus if it helps him out. I have seen to many good women leave that program solely because of very mean spirited comments or actions by the coach. If he treated the players with a little respect and maturity the wins would have taken care of themselves. Maybe not conference champions but they would have been competitive. We are not even that right now.

In women's soccer we have played Division II schools that where better than Division I schools, so I do not buy that argument.

Here I go again!
C
goal kick
goal kick
C
He didn't "forget how to coach", maybe he never had to. They no longer having the luxury of older, international players who recruit their friends and more importantly the experience from overseas who can play. Now you have to coach an 18, 19 year old local player and it's more difficult to compete. A mirror image of the Women's program, players leave by the handful each season.

H
kick off
kick off
H
Whoa on Coach Rohan at CCU! No way should they even consider getting rid of him based on this year. I can be critical of the team and his coaching moves (I hope not mean spirited) but I support the team win or lose. This is his 4th year as the head coach and realistically probably 3 full recruiting classes. He has put together a pretty good schedule to get them ready for the conference. After a draw last night with ECU they are 1-8-1. Who knows, could have 3 maybe 4 wins, but don't. After losing 73% of the scoring I think he has discovered the kids he was counting on to step up have not. The main returning forward has one goal and it was a PK and one of the starting OS Mids has taken 1 shot in 10 games....4 goals total and only 2 from play. I think CCU may have lost more than they thought from last year and maybe the ability of the returning Jr/Sr class was masked by Gunning, Monroe etc.

As for the big roster (35) my understanding is he likes to have a bunch of players for Spring. That said losing the assistant 2 weeks before they reported probably does not help. You can only get so many ready to play. With only 2-3 kids from SC and limited budget, the kids must want to be there.

Good kids, good team GPA, no major issues off the field, back to back reg season champs, conference finals 2 years running, losing on PK's then 2-1 last year....at the end of the day...things could be worse!!

H
kick off
kick off
H
That said....CCU 0 ECU 0, nice result for CCU. IMO ECU had the better run of play but I thought pretty even on dangerous chances. Sh/SOG CCU 11/6 ECU 24/11 and a CK adv of 12-4. Ro finally played a new combo in the MF, I thought added a little size and toughness. Finally freed Tupy to go at the goal taking 4 shots with 3 on goal. Same combo at forward which is just horrible. In fact I think they generated 2 shots from their forwards in 110 min. 1 from a player who played 10 minutes. Just don't think the kids he is giving most of the time to can create chances. I swear CCU had balls served on the ground at the 6 and a forward was no where to be found. Defensively they just seem to chase, their shape and coverage is out of whack. I think the central MF was better but they still get nothing from the forwards and the wide players.

They will be competitive in the Big South and if they can find any kind of offense challenge for the title.

C
goal
goal
C
CCU won 5-1 last night. CCU moved the ball well and like every other team kept us on our heels most of the night. Upstate did lose its second and last keeper to a knee injury during the game. The starting keeper is out with an ACL and now the Freshman keeper may be out the rest of the season or at least a week or two with MCL problems. Our star defensive back played keeper last night for the rest of the game and Upstate will now looks at field players for a new keeper.

If CCU had a problem it was in the defense becoming unorganized and allowing players to run free in the back. If it wasn't for the excellent play by the middle back on CCU, things could have been switched. But their Mid-Field play and ability to move the ball around was excellent. In fact they moved the ball so well that they gave themselves lots of opportunites to score but just couldn't cash in on it. CCU will be fine by the end of the season and should be a lot better next season, because all those things are correctable.

Last edited by Chapindad; 09/22/09 01:33 PM.
D
kick off
kick off
D
So it seems that USC-Upstate's season will only get worse now. Whoever the new coach will be should basically given the chance to start from scratch, in other words get rid of any player not up to the level and given the resources to bring in a whole new team.

As for Coastal, I think the yare just having a poor year and Rohan will fix it next season. They have had some good seasons under him, don't see why he university will just let him go for this season.

Also, did you notice last night Wofford lost to South Carolina State 1-0? It is amazing how that school (SCSU) has become so competitive so quickly. It is amazing how they can recruit the type of players they have to that place, but hey, more power to them.

world cup
world cup
I'm sitting across the street from SCSU as I type this. Great result for State.

As for Upstate, I watched them play earlier this year and although the roster may be thin, they had some very creative and dangerous players on the squad. They also fought hard. Sorry to hear about the GK situation.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
goal
goal
C

I think the players are fine, I think the new coach may be able to bring a few players back. The problem is not the players. If it was players then the coach wouldn't be a problem because he did get pretty much a new team every year for the last 4-5 years. That was his excuse each year. When you have 15 players on the team and none of the like or respect the coach, you have a problem.

Here I go again!
I
goal
goal
I
What do you call a coach who is 15-47, w-l, and 53-217, GF-GA?

D
kick off
kick off
D
I don't know, you got me!! What coach are you talking about?

So, let us know!!

H
kick off
kick off
H
Upstate played hard. If they had finished the one they had in the 7/8 minute may have been different. Coach Ro made a change in the MF for the ECU game and used it again at Upstate and it makes a big difference. Agree with Chapindad about the back. They seem to get unorganized and start to chase in the back. They did leave one starter at home. IMO his best 2 outside backs are the freshmen he plays at outside mid. They are just faster and more athletic and both have very good recovery speed. Team is a work in process.

Too bad about the GK. I think they have a group of kids that play very hard. A nice start for a new coach.

D
kick off
kick off
D
IT IS OFFICIAL: USC UPSTATE HIRES NEW WOMEN'S COACH
Renee Lopez from Lees McRae college in North Carolina will be named coached and will start December 1st.

Opinions?

world cup
world cup

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Quote:

IT IS OFFICIAL: USC UPSTATE HIRES NEW WOMEN'S COACH
Renee Lopez from Lees McRae college in North Carolina will be named coached and will start December 1st.

Opinions?

I would be surprised if this was the most qualified candidate that applied!

L
Goal
Goal
L
i view it as a pretty good hire!

may not be the most qualified that applied but one that usc-upstate could afford.

C
goal
goal
C
Out of the top three candidates, she was by far the most qualified. And her strengths will play nicely into the program. The team got to interview the top 3 and they all where impressed with her and was my daughter's pick by far.

I know the returning players are very excited and are doing all the winter workouts to be ready for the spring.

Here I go again!
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Chapindad, please explain your 'most qualified' statement.

I heard the other two candidates were Div I (Southern Conference) coaches with more than 10 years experience ...

O
throw in
throw in
O
Not sure how accurate it is, but, it does have committments posted by class, club, school...

What schools from South Carolina are recruiting SC players?

Found this web site:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AriynKqmGsRwdGUyR1ZrSFFUbHFZblNCMnBNZnNqc1E&output=html

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard