Shades Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench

C
Coach
Coach
C
Funny thing...last year the girls' tournament was partially rained out and we had pages and pages about it, mostly complaints and incriminations. This year the weather was beautiful, things went well...and not a single mention of its existence anywhere on the board.

Hm.

I've got good news and bad news...
S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Funny thing...last year the girls' tournament was partially rained out and we had pages and pages about it, mostly complaints and incriminations. This year the weather was beautiful, things went well...and not a single mention of its existence anywhere on the board.

Hm.

Unfortunately, this goes to show that many people choose to complain about the negative over giving praise about the positive.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Just finding it hard to believe an entire tournament can come and go without so much as a mention when nothing goes wrong. Oh, well...I didn't start a post about it either, so I'm as much to blame as anyone.

I've got good news and bad news...
M
kick off
kick off
M
Weather was great, fields were in pretty good shape, competition was pretty good considering attendance was down again for 2nd or 3rd year in a row. With the entry fees going up, hotel booking through the tournament and the economy it is only going to get worse next year - I predict unless they make some changes the MP teams will make up 1/2 teams in the field instead of 1/4 teams as they did this year. When tournaments only have 1 bracket in an age group and lots of teams playing up it is a pretty good indication that things are heading in the wrong direction.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Just curious as to what "changes" you propose should be made for next year? Every tournament our team has attended over the past two seasons has shown a significant drop in attendance in large part due to the economy, teams being more selective about tournaments they attend, etc.
Quote:

Weather was great, fields were in pretty good shape, competition was pretty good considering attendance was down again for 2nd or 3rd year in a row. With the entry fees going up, hotel booking through the tournament and the economy it is only going to get worse next year - I predict unless they make some changes the MP teams will make up 1/2 teams in the field instead of 1/4 teams as they did this year. When tournaments only have 1 bracket in an age group and lots of teams playing up it is a pretty good indication that things are heading in the wrong direction.

M
kick off
kick off
M
Potential changes.....
1-lower the entry fees by $50 instead of raising them
2-Scrap the hotel requirement, you could probably pick up a few teams by advertising that you can pick your own hotel instead of going through some room booker who sends a kickback to the club. It might actually get the local hotels booked up instead of sending the teams to stay in north charleston hotels
3-Offer incentives to clubs to bring their entire club instead of just a few teams. Cesa & CU only brought a few teams. Bring 9 and the 10 is free, 25 bucks off of 4, 50 off of 6 etc.
4-Bring in some older refs from other areas or states. I have seen some of our better older refs at other tournaments in other states

I doubt MP will implement any of these and will probably just moan and groan about the rec department but we will see.

Don't think some of the better tournaments have suffered, CU or CESA tournaments seem to be doing about the same.
Will be interesting to see how the turnout for the James Island tournament is this year.

Stay Tuned

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

2-Scrap the hotel requirement, you could probably pick up a few teams by advertising that you can pick your own hotel instead of going through some room booker who sends a kickback to the club. It might actually get the local hotels booked up instead of sending the teams to stay in north charleston hotels

I certainly agree with this one. We were extremely disappointed with our hotel assignment this year. Several families chose to book on their own individually and found nicer hotels closer to the venues for lower rates.

Link Copied to Clipboard