Brace
Match Preview

Match updates to follow! Stay tuned!

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
L
Goal
Goal
L
getting a win vs rutgers will not be an easy task. usc must finish when they get an opportunity to score and stay organized in the back. i think usc will win but it will be a tough battle.

Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Brooke Jacobs' goal on 36' gives USC 1:0 lead!

Goal
Goal
Carolina going to the sweet16

Great save by the keep off a header in the last minute.
USC 1:0 Rutgers

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”
L
Goal
Goal
L
great win for the lady gamecocks and coach smith's 100th victory. there's no listing on where the game will be played, yet but where else could it be played but at usc? usc (#2) is higher seed and wake is a #3.

World Cup
World Cup
SOUTH CAROLINA ADVANCES TO ROUND OF 16 WITH 1-0 VICTORY OVER RUTGERS Brooke Jacobs scores game-winning goal in 36th minute; Shelley Smith earns 100th victory at USC COLUMBIA, S.C. – South Carolina junior forward Brooke Jacobs scored her sixth goal of the year in the 36th minute of play and junior goalkeeper Mollie Patton came up with a diving save near the end of regulation in the 90th minute as the Gamecocks defeated Rutgers 1-0 on Sunday afternoon in front of 2,724 fans at Stone Stadium. The Gamecocks improve to 19-3-2 and advance to the Round of 16 while Rutgers ends its season with a 14-4-4 record. South Carolina will face Wake Forest in the Round of 16. Site and game time is to be determined. Sunday afternoon’s win also marked head coach Shelley Smith’s 100th victory as head coach of South Carolina. “I’m glad to be here to talk about another win,” Smith said. “This has been an amazing season, and to be home playing in front of these fans is just tremendous. We are so glad that we could come through with a win today. Obviously we broke history with Friday night’s win, and it was amazing to get a little bit more of the season. These players play like they don’t want the season to end, and they put everything into it in every game. They played with a lot of heart again.” The match was played even between South Carolina and Rutgers until 35:36 when Carolina grabbed the one-goal advantage with Jacobs finding the back of the net. On the score, Gamecock midfielder Christine Watts controlled a ball played into the box. Despite a Rutgers defender, Watts created an opportunity and connected with Jacobs, who on the touch, got a good look from six yards out to drill a shot past Rutgers keeper Erin Guthrie and off the inside of the left post into the net putting the Gamecocks ahead by a goal. Jacobs has now scored in three consecutive NCAA matches. Jacobs had a goal vs. William & Mary in 2008 and scored last Friday evening in the victory over Davidson. Assists on the score were awarded to Watts and Maria Petroni. “Christine and Maria both played great balls with a give-and-go, and I knew I was close to the goal,” Jacobs said. “I turned and I saw an open goal, so I just took a shot. I thought it was a little wide when it hit the post, but luckily it went in the goal.” Rutgers fought to the end though and came as close as possible in the 90th minute off a corner kick. Up from her goalkeeper position, Guthrie floated a ball into the penalty area that saw Scarlet Knights forward Rheanne Sleiman head on directly and toward the goal, only to have Patton come up with diving save to end the match and preserve a Gamecock victory. South Carolina finished with an 11-9 advantage in shots over Rutgers including an 8-6 edge in the second half. Guthrie finished with five saves while Patton made three for the Gamecocks. The shutout for Patton was her 15th of the season and 22nd of her career. She recorded a shutout in both games this weekend. “(Getting two shutouts) is really exciting,” Patton said. “In our last trip to the NCAA, three goals were scored on me, and I just wanted to come out strong at the end of the season this year. To get two shutouts means a lot to the defense and me. We have been playing really well, and they tested us. I am just happy that I came up big a few times in this game.”

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Great game today by the USC Women. Next up Wake and hopefully the warm confines of Stone and the Graveyard.

Brace
OP Offline
Brace
South Carolina & Wake Forest To Meet Friday At 7 p.m. In Columbia

Round of 16 match may be final home game of the season for South Carolina

COLUMBIA, S.C. - The NCAA women's soccer round of 16 match between South Carolina and Wake Forest will be played Friday, Nov. 20 at 7 p.m. The game will matchup the No. 2 seed Gamecocks (19-3-2) and the No. 3 seed Demon Deacons (15-5-2) at Stone Stadium.

South Carolina and Wake Forest have met twice before with Wake Forest holding a 1-0-1 series advantage. The Demon Deacons defeated South Carolina, 5-0, at Winston-Salem on Aug. 27, 1999. The teams played to a 1-1 tie the year before that (Sept. 4, 1998).

The Gamecocks advanced to the round of 16 for the first time in program history after recording shutouts in both games this weekend, blanking Davidson 4-0 in the first round and Rutgers 1-0 in the second round. Wake Forest advances to the round of 16 for the second time in program history, the last coming in the 1999 season. The Demon Deacons also recorded two shutouts this weekend by defeating Kennesaw State 2-0 and West Virginia 3-0.

Since the start of the 2007 season, South Carolina has posted a 3-1-2 record against ACC teams with two wins against Clemson and a victory at North Carolina. The team has earned draws against Duke (2007) and Florida State (2008). The lone loss in the last six games against ACC opponents came against Clemson in 2007.

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"

Link Copied to Clipboard