Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#126379 11/16/09 09:24 PM
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
Congrats to all those that were Champions and Finalists.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Congratulations to the Congaree Rapid SKY92 U17 boys team that won the SCYSA Classic Cup this past weekend in Spartanburg. The nucleus of the team has been together for six years now and Coach Marcus Hunter has done a great job developing this team over the years.

goal
goal
CESA rules - again!

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Did you check to see who won each age group? Did not look like any one club ran thru state cup..I am surprised that CESA did not win any age group..I would think that success would trickle down to classic play..Guess not.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Cold ... Keep in mind it is the 'C' team from CESA playing against most 'Classic' clubs 'A' teams!

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
True..Most classic teams are homespun and most have just one team so I would not think alot of clubs would have two classic teams in one age group..

I
goal
goal
I
Congrats to the Teams that won their bracket... They deserve the recognition. Period!

The Congaree boys deserve credit... allow them that

The Spartanburg Arsenal won one last year and they only have 3 or 4 teams total... They should really be ashamed, Right? I do not think so. Their struggle and acheivement should not be tarnished nor questioned.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Papa - Keep your hat on! Who is questioning the success any teams have achieved? I was simply stating a fact.

I
goal
goal
I
Just stop spinning it... Say congrats and go on.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Papa - Read the thread again. I responded to CHT's comments regarding CESA. Nothing more, nothing less. Try to keep up.

I
goal
goal
I
Everything you guys said put these folks down, C team, homespun teams etc... They won, everyone accept it, as is.

No Qualifications.

world cup
world cup
How do we get to the point where all teams that want to participate in a State Cup, can participate?

North Carolina has play-in games for the bottom seeds and also allows their Classic level teams to choose which State Cup they can play in.

In this respect, North Carolina is closer to AYSO than South Carolina. Everyone plays!

Why do we deny teams the opportunity?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
Well...on the girls side, Lexington ran their teams. They only had 2 teams in and both won. As far as the boys go, CRSA has the most success with a winner in Div. 1 and a finalist.

Goal
OP Offline
Goal
Hurst...I don't think all the teams wanted to participate. If you lost every match in regular season, would you want to go to state cup?

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

How do we get to the point where all teams that want to participate in a State Cup, can participate?...

...Why do we deny teams the opportunity?

Who was denied the opportunity?

Teams who participate in any SCYSA sanctioned league, except SCSCL or R3PL, have up to 3 choices in regards to the President's Medal Cup:
1. They can choose not to play in the President's Medal Cup,
2. they can choose to play in the Classic I Division, or
3. they can choose to play in the Classic II Division (if enough teams enter).

The Challenge Cup play-in games start in August with SCSCL and R3PL play. The top eight teams continue play in December with the knock-out rounds. Any SCYSA team can choose to play in the SCSCL which is, in effect, the preliminary round of the Challenge Cup.

world cup
world cup
Coach P,

You are telling me the regular season is the same as the preliminary round of State Cup? Are the NCAA conference basketball tournaments the preliminary round of the Big Dance? So there are really more than 65 teams in the tournament?

In South Carolina, the teams that finish at or near the bottom of the SCSCL in their age division are done. In North Carolina, these teams have two options that don't exist in South Carolina.

1. They can get a play-in game for the right to continue on into group play in the "Challenge Cup".
2. They can declare to enter the "President's Medal Cup".

Note - I have used South Carolina terms to describe the two levels of the North Carolina cups.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
The way SC is set up now, all teams should have the option to play in the "Challenge Cup". Because there is no relegation/promotion, some teams "accidently" put themselves in the wrong division. Why not let any team that wants to compete in the challenge cup play and let the classic teams that don't want to compete in the challenge cup play in the classic cup (if they choose to do so).

Brace
Brace
SC doesn't have that many teams. Teams should be allowed to pay the reg fee for the correct tournament and play if that is their desire.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Hurst66,

I still don't see who you are saying was denied the opportunity to play in the President's Medal Cup.

As far as the Challenge Cup, everyone who chooses to play in the SCSCL has the opportunity to qualify for the round of 8 just like all of the NCAA D1 soccer teams have the opportunity to qualify for the round of 64.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I'm also a proponent of the SCSCL teams that don't make the final 8 being allowed to enter the President's Medal Cup. That would make us more competitive with other states that also allow the lower D1 teams to compete for the D2 championship and the right to represent the state in the Region 3 President's Cup which is classified as a Division 2 regional.

world cup
world cup
Coach P,

In other states, a team can challenge themselves by playing in the highest level.....and still have the opportunity to play for a State Cup at the end of their season. This option doesn't exist in South Carolina.

Snicklefritz,

I'm aware of a South Carolina Challenge team that drew with the three top teams in their league/division. Unfortunately, due to injuries, other commitments, the team was not always at full-strength and they didn't win a match all year. They finish outside the top five, three teams come in from R3, and they are not in the top eight and can't compete for ANY State Cup.

Did they put themselves in the wrong division? They drew with the three best teams in the league?

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Coach P,
In other states, a team can challenge themselves by playing in the highest level.....and still have the opportunity to play for a State Cup at the end of their season. This option doesn't exist in South Carolina.

As I said: "I'm also a proponent of the SCSCL teams that don't make the final 8 being allowed to enter the President's Medal Cup."

But also remember that with states like NC and GA that have promotion and relegation, teams don't have the choice like in SC to "challenge themselves by playing in the highest level" if they didn't get promoted or stay "up" the previous season.

world cup
world cup
You are correct. Very difficult to move up in North Carolina, there is no margin for error.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

"I'm also a proponent of the SCSCL teams that don't make the final 8 being allowed to enter the President's Medal Cup."

Of course to do this, they would have to change the cup dates and have the President's Medal Cup later or end the SCSCL season earlier. The PMC was last weekend and SCSCL games are still going on.

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
Hurst,

I propose that any team, Challenge or Classic, be allowed to enter the "challenge" state cup, not exclude them. Then any classic team that chooses not to play "challenge" state cup can still play classic state cup. Add a round to the state cup for the extra teams plus the R3I teams.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Hurst,

I propose that any team, Challenge or Classic, be allowed to enter the "challenge" state cup, not exclude them. Then any classic team that chooses not to play "challenge" state cup can still play classic state cup. Add a round to the state cup for the extra teams plus the R3I teams.

In order to satisfy the USYSA or Region 3, you would probably have to eliminate at least the top 6-8 Challenge level teams from competing for the President's Medal Cup which is what qualifies teams to represent SC in the Region 3 President's Cup which is a Division 2 regional.

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
All challenge teams should play in the Challenge cup, and no challenge team should be allowed to play down in the PMSL. But if a PMSL team wants to play up, why not???

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
I agree with Snickle... Teams should not be allowed to play down.

hat-trick
hat-trick
You guys are going to be so inclusive that you will expand the Challenge state cup to the point it will be like Virginia's which, for U15-18, started this year on Sept 19 and ended on Nov 1 being played over 7 different weekends.

Brace
Brace
Coach P,

In Calif, they get it done in three weekends. 1st weekend is 20-30 brackets of 4 teams each. The pool winner and x no. of wildcards that are needed go into a 32 team single elimination bracket. Weekend #2 play until quarter final teams decided. Final week, wk# 3 qtr, semi, and finals played. This is compared to two weekends in SC with only 8 teams in an age bracket. Go figure.

Can't answer why VA takes to long.

Goal
OP Offline
Goal
Quote:

All challenge teams should play in the Challenge cup, and no challenge team should be allowed to play down in the PMSL. But if a PMSL team wants to play up, why not???

Agreed. There are levels of play for a reason.

world cup
world cup
I'll agree that Challenge teams shouldn't "play down".

but.....

If you are not going to let the last place team in the Challenge League play in the Classic State Cup, then you better find a way to include them in the Challenge State Cup.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Coach P,

In Calif, they get it done in three weekends. 1st weekend is 20-30 brackets of 4 teams each. The pool winner and x no. of wildcards that are needed go into a 32 team single elimination bracket. Weekend #2 play until quarter final teams decided. Final week, wk# 3 qtr, semi, and finals played. This is compared to two weekends in SC with only 8 teams in an age bracket. Go figure.

Can't answer why VA takes to long.

That illustrates one thing I really like about the current SC Challenge Cup format: teams do not play more than one game per day.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Homespun? This is a bad thing? Would not everyone like to play at home?At no point did I put down any state champion..If you look at the array of clubs that won this and last year..I would say that soocer is developed through out the whole state..Alot more parity than challenge..

I
goal
goal
I
Agree on the parity, and homespun is not a bad thing... it is actually where we as a state will grow.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
On that note...Congratulations!! To all state cup champions and finalists..Maybe someday Challenge will show the same diversity of talent that Classic play has shown..

O
throw in
throw in
O
And I would like to offer congrads to the little homespun club, the Upstate Soccer Alliance. Two state champions this year - U18 Boys D2 and U18 Girls D1. Well deserved. A lot of these kids have been with the club since the old church days of SMSC. Been a pleasure watching both the kids and the club grow up.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Definite props to the USA U18 girls; they played in the finals like champions should. Positive attitudes, full-on effort, pressuring for every ball, and going all-out for the win...both teams really wanted it, and it was a great, hard-fought match. I had a first-hand view; I was the coach on the other end of the sideline, and I feel no shame in coming in a close second to a team that played as hard and as well as the USA girls did on Sunday.

Here's to two "homespun" teams making the finals--looking forward to a rematch next year!

I've got good news and bad news...
U
goal kick
goal kick
U
Hat's off to Carolina FC and all their volunteers that made this weekend possible. Thanks for a well run tournament!!

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Here's to two "homespun" teams making the finals--looking forward to a rematch next year!

A rematch next year for teams that were U18 this year? Are both clubs going to field rare U19 teams? Or do they both have enough U17 players to be basically the same two teams at U18 next year?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Chass's team has alot of players returning next year..Can not speak for the other team..

O
throw in
throw in
O
Quote:

Hat's off to Carolina FC and all their volunteers that made this weekend possible. Thanks for a well run tournament!!

Ditto. Thanks CFC!!

O
throw in
throw in
O
Quote:

Here's to two "homespun" teams making the finals--

Thanks Coach. Your comments are very much appreciated. I didn't get to watch that game as I was over at the U18 Boys, but have heard several reports. Great game between two great teams. Props to all the girls that were on that field. Hope they carry their momentum into the high school season.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Quote:

A rematch next year for teams that were U18 this year? Are both clubs going to field rare U19 teams? Or do they both have enough U17 players to be basically the same two teams at U18 next year?

CHT is correct; of our roster of 15, only 5 are true U18; the others are sophomores and juniors that I hope to see back for a reunion next year! Of my four years with the club, last year is the only season I've had an entire team of seniors and started with an entirely new team this year; otherwise there's been a lot of continuity from season to season as a few older players rotated out and younger ones rotated in.

This year's team:
5 U18
7 U17
3 U16

I'm not sure about the composition of the USA team, but I'm sure that even if most of them are moving on, there will be others to pick up the torch for the club!

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard