Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
Hat-Trick
OP Offline
Hat-Trick
F
Have you seen Henry's hanball in this game. The handball led to the french qualifying for the world Cup.

Things to consider
1- it was extra time and the Irish are up 1-0
2- He handled the ball twice see link 1
3- Number 17 was in an offside position when the ball was kicked, see link 2(59 seconds in the video) and clearly was the first french player playing the ball (see both links)
4 - Henry has admitted to handling the ball

link 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2D6LdNakzE

link 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=170HQZBeBXA&feature=related

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Is it a foul if the ref doesn't see/ call it?

corner kick
corner kick
if they dont repeat the game, henry should not play the world cup.

i think is fair for the irish players that are going to have to watch the world cup at home, henry should join them.

Club of the century.
F
Hat-Trick
OP Offline
Hat-Trick
F
GSDad... I have to say that it is very likely that nothing will happen to the result and France will be in South Africa. When you look at the incident many people point out the world cup qualifier in 2005 (see excerpt)
The Bahrain Vs Uzbekistan Incident

"Asian Football Confederation president Mohamed Bin Hammam has expressed regret over FIFA's decision to replay the Uzbekistan-Bahrain 2006 World Cup finals qualifier play-off.

FIFA ordered the match, which Uzbekistan won 1-0 on September 3 in Tashkent, to be replayed because of a "technical error" by Japanese referee Toshimitsu Yoshida.

Yoshida ruled out a penalty scored by Server Djeparov because of encroachment in the area by a Uzbek team-mate but crucially did not allow them to retake the penalty and awarded a freekick to Bahrain.

"Uzbekistan had been penalised twice and the winning side had become the victims. It was an unfortunate and serious error by Japanese referee Toshimitsu Yoshida," Hammam said in a statement."

"The Laws of the Game state.. The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match, are final."

The main difference then it was an error of a technical call in a dead ball situation and 100% attributable to the referee.

Here on the other hand it was in the run ofplay and what you state becomes the truth. If you do not see it is it a foul?

3 billion people saw the hand of god in 1986 but the 3 that mattered did not. That call in my opinion was considerably more difficult.

In this specific case however, I believe the referee and particularly the AR should both be given sanctions. After all these are professionals and are paid to see these things. Two calls were missed in the same play that is inexcusable.

In the end, as the saying goes... you should never put yourself in a position where a call (or non call) determines the outcome of the game.

FIFA Reply to FIA replay request
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1137489.html#fifa+statement+fai+request

Last edited by futbol(soccer); 11/20/09 01:53 PM.
S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
Why should Henry be punished??? Everyone reading this board would have done the same thing, especially if was the difference between going to the World Cup or not (this will probably be his last one). Reality is, this is no different then the flops that players take. He even admitted it was handled. The problem began with no offside being called. That would have fixed the whole problem.

L
throw in
throw in
L
Was Eduardo not punished "after the fact" for flopping a P/K

Should Henry not be punished for concealing a handball to score a goal?

J
bench
bench
J
why should be punished? any other play in that situation would do the exact same thing..its the world cup! you'll do what it takes to go. if he gets punihsed for that, every player that dives and gets a pk should be also.

L
throw in
throw in
L
"if he gets punihsed for that, every player that dives and gets a pk should be also. "

Eduardo was punished for the dive.......... my example.

Using the same "Deceiving the Ref" logic, should Henry?

I believe he should be.

Was Ms. Lambert punished after the fact when no foul was called?

Last edited by Luna-Chicks 98G; 11/20/09 03:57 PM.
S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
The main difference is that Eduardo received a call for "simulating a foul", that can be overturned. Henry committed a foul, that wasn't called. it is that tricky "in the opinion of the referee" statement in the laws of the game. Everyone may disagree with the ref (Henry told him he did it), but "in the opinion of the ref"...

F
Hat-Trick
OP Offline
Hat-Trick
F
Snickle... Henry never told the referee he did it. He only admitted it AFTER the game was over (to an Irish player) AND only agreed that a replay should occur only after FIFA said no replay will occur.

And the statement of "in the opinion of the referee" needs to be reconsidered. There is widespread game fixing in europe due to referees, all they have to do is take advantage of a situation and state "in my opinion..." and it is done.

To me the game cannot be replayed, the pandora's box it opens will never be shut again. In such cases the responsibility lies with the player. And penalties to their pocketbook after the game is reviewed should occur. In the most idyllic of situations he should have fezzed up when it occurred. He made a choice, he will live with it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard