Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Hat-Trick
OP Offline
Hat-Trick
F
And to expand on the statement "in the opinion of the referee". Just because he has an opinion it does not make him automatically right. But at the same time you cannot take the ability to make a decision whether right or wrong. A review of a contested goal seems to be in order. And in this particular case it would be to review if a hand ball had occurred the fact that the review would show an offside would be irrelevant.
And to keep the review to a minimum, if the play stands as call the captain of the team that made the request receives a yellow card.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

"if he gets punihsed for that, every player that dives and gets a pk should be also. "

Eduardo was punished for the dive.......... my example.

Using the same "Deceiving the Ref" logic, should Henry?

I believe he should be.

Was Ms. Lambert punished after the fact when no foul was called?

Lambert isn't a fair comparison for more than one reason:

1. She wasn't in a position to score
2. She repeatedly was trying to hurt players
3. Henry was not trying to physically injure someone.

I've seen "good" high school teams play with little to no integrity to win. I've also heard "good" high school coaches coach their teams on how to cheat and get away with it in order to win.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Off-side is the only missed call that matters. Henry is not importnat if that is called.

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
CID is correct. If offside is called, Henry is not in a position to use his hand. Don't penalyze Henry. the refs missed the offside.

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
The "opinion of the referee" is a huge problem even down to the high school level. How many times has a player been fouled with no call because they keep their feet and lose the ball? Then players get every call if they simply fall over. At what point do you tell a player to simply "let themself go" on contact? And when does that become a lack of "integrity"???

corner kick
corner kick
It really bothers me when people justify poor or illegal behaviour because "everyone else would do it." No, not everyone else would do it in that situation and should this really be the lesson we're teaching kids as they grow up? That they can do whatever they want, but only if they think "everyone else would do it"?

Yes, it was a high stakes game, but there are a lot of high stakes "games" in life. Is it okay to cheat on your test just so you can get into "x" college? Or lie on your resume to get that one job you really want? Anyone else in your position would do it...so it must be okay.

Maybe it's just me, but I would never do something like that intentionally and I certainly would not be able to handle myself well knowing I cheated to get where I was and that I'd potentially screwed someone more deserving out of the opportunity to do so. Any respect I may have had for Thierry Henry as an athlete is pretty much gone and I feel he's insulted the integrity of the game, just as I would with any player who blatantly cheats to get the outcome they want. That's not honestly playing for the love of the game; that's playing for the check at the end or the fame.

Incidentally, this event is something where a video review would have come in handy. Allow 1 challenge or review per team, per half of a questionable play that results in a goal. Play is already stopped, five minutes to check the video footage in a high stakes game is hardly much to ask for when you consider the aftermath of this game.

Anyway, sorry for the rant...this is just something that really gets to me in life, lol.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
I agree kitten that we shouldn't tell kids it is OK to cheat, but I do think that a majority of people put into that situation would have done the same, intentionally or by instinct. How many time have you seen a player reach out to grab a ball? Happens all the time, but most of the time the ref calls it.
I do not think what he did is right, I just think that many people would do the same thing in that situation.

corner kick
corner kick
I've honestly only seen someone reach out and touch a ball in a purposeful manner once in my life and that was because the girl was on autopilot from a volleyball tournament that same weekend (absolutely hysterical to watch, she set the ball off a punt). Is it more frequent in mens'/boys' games?

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
throw in
throw in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frnyf666z0s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbbsytHDp2o&feature=related

Any different? If you're going to get on Henry about it might as well bring in every person who has committed a handball for a goal... and Henry only got an assist

corner kick
corner kick
i hate cheaters. if anybody think henry should play the wc, then i have not respect for you. cheating is wrong and it should be punished with not mercy.

if i trained my whole life to play the biggest and best sport event in the planet, and all of a suddent bc somebody cheats everything i worked so hard for goes the the trash...

henry should not play the world cup, is my opinion, i think is fair.

Club of the century.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard