Print Thread
Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Blitzkrieg in Bloemfontein! Germany 4-1 England

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Amen for the truth being told by Jurgen Klinsmann on World Cup wrap-up show after the England/Germany match on the state of U.S. soccer and the future.

Upside down pyramid!!! The U.S. has got to develop soccer amongst the lower classes (poorer, low-income communities) much as the rest of the world does. We have to reach out to the Hispanic community and the inner-city kids to truly progress on the world stage. Pay-for-play hinders this movement and certainly many a case can be made that Academy and ODP absolutely does not recognize ALL of the top talent and is often merely awarded to kids whose parents can put them in the "right environment" to succeed.

Personally, I hope Klinsmann becomes our next coach and I have been a fan of Bradley and most appreciative of what he has done for our national team, but believe he's taken us as far as he can go.

Goal
Goal
Just asking here and nothing else Kevin, since you own a pay for play club, what do you believe is the best way to handle this? Thanks

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Quote:

Just asking here and nothing else Kevin, since you own a pay for play club, what do you believe is the best way to handle this? Thanks

\

Well first I would have to address the fact that I do not own a club, but that I was one of the founders and remain an integral part of the Congaree Rapid Soccer Association.

Unfortunately, I don't have all the answers, because soccer in this country is structured in a very organized manner. All aspects of youth soccer require some form of payment or financial commitment. I really believe until the club structure could be funded on a corporate level or from a professional club standpoint, then we're stuck in the current form forever.

For example, CRSA has maintained our current Select fees of $495 (which includes 2 uniforms) for six straight years. This is a bare bones fee that ultimately is maxed to the nth degree to run a "no frills" club. However, that fee still excludes kids that desire to play due to financial issues. What would be ideal is for corporate or "big parent club" soccer to exist where say a Coca-Cola would give a soccer youth entity, say $200,000 and basically say "go run the soccer program for 200+ kids, but don't charge kids to play." Then it would work. However, without corporate backing, it's a no-go. The other issue is facilities. If a club has their own facilities, then they have an inherent advantage to offer all levels of soccer -- rec, junior academy, select, academy, indoor, camps, weight training, clubhouse, training rooms, etc.

The other scenario is the big parent club situation which would formulate around the local professional club -- i.e. Columbus Crew or even Charleston Battery -- that would have a grassroots recreational to highly competitive Academy level teams organized with full-time paid coaches/staff that would devote their livelihood to the promotion of soccer and could attract all players, regardless of how much money their parents make.

In short, much like the European or South American models

Goal
Goal
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/06/magazine/06Soccer-t.htm

Read this if you want to see how different our system is compared to the rest of the world.

corner kick
corner kick
I have written thousands of pages in different forums analysing american soccer, most people may already be bored with it.

many things have to be changed.

soccer is growing a lot in the usa but is still not as developed as in other countries, a lot of people sees soccer as a "thread" for the big sports, but reality is, it would take more than 50 years for soccer to even touch nfl, college football would prob be wayyyy too big for soccer.

soccer would grow and thats it, lets stop the silly idea of soccer taking over the big sports.

i remember as a kid.

Not only i played everyday at school and at home but i was part of many teams at the same time.

1. club
2. school team
3. neighborhood team
4. indoor soccer team
5. state team

not to mention teams from other neighborhoods inviting me to play for them, beach tournaments, soccer everywhere, that is something an american kid doesnt have, they go to school, practice, then they go home and not more soccer is around them. at least soccer is a little more on tv now.

college soccer have to do major changes. middle school soccer have to be born. can college soccer have a jv team?

in california, in many high schools, they do have a c team for soccer.

all american kids watch is epl, how good does that do for them? english soccer is super overrated. american kids know very little of german, italian, dutch, brazilian, argentina or uruguay soccer which are the most successful nations in the sport.

soccer just have to be open to more people, athletism have to be part of it too, soccer players have to be faster and stronger, and the big problem is that most of those kids go to american football, think of mark sanchez for example, how does a mexican american decides to play football and not soccer?

i think that a quick fix would be to bring a big deal coach, at least you can expect him to win big games, i will love to see the usa playing an attacking style, bob bradley never played to attack untill he was down on the board.

i think thats enought for now, i have to watch overrated messi next to the next nistelroy HIGUAIN HAHA

Last edited by Alma Merengue; 06/27/10 06:06 PM.

Club of the century.
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Quote:

\

Well first I would have to address the fact that I do not own a club, but that I was one of the founders and remain an integral part of the Congaree Rapid Soccer Association.

Unfortunately, I don't have all the answers, because soccer in this country is structured in a very organized manner. All aspects of youth soccer require some form of payment or financial commitment. I really believe until the club structure could be funded on a corporate level or from a professional club standpoint, then we're stuck in the current form forever.

For example, CRSA has maintained our current Select fees of $495 (which includes 2 uniforms) for six straight years. This is a bare bones fee that ultimately is maxed to the nth degree to run a "no frills" club. However, that fee still excludes kids that desire to play due to financial issues. What would be ideal is for corporate or "big parent club" soccer to exist where say a Coca-Cola would give a soccer youth entity, say $200,000 and basically say "go run the soccer program for 200+ kids, but don't charge kids to play." Then it would work. However, without corporate backing, it's a no-go. The other issue is facilities. If a club has their own facilities, then they have an inherent advantage to offer all levels of soccer -- rec, junior academy, select, academy, indoor, camps, weight training, clubhouse, training rooms, etc.

The other scenario is the big parent club situation which would formulate around the local professional club -- i.e. Columbus Crew or even Charleston Battery -- that would have a grassroots recreational to highly competitive Academy level teams organized with full-time paid coaches/staff that would devote their livelihood to the promotion of soccer and could attract all players, regardless of how much money their parents make.

i always thought of it this why, a big city like columbia should have an mls academy here, is this possible?

why dont we have at least a pdl team here?

what about the battery, why dont they have an academy here in columbia?

if kids know they would never have a real shot at playing professional soccer, how are they supposed to prepared and develop?

Club of the century.
Goal
Goal
Quote:

Quote:

\

Thanks for the honest answer. That would be awesome if corps like Coke or say Bose, etc. (those that have bankrolls) WOULD do something like this. I guess they just don't find it useful for them to do something like this.

I was unaware that you were not an owner of the club. Thanks for the info

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Quote:

Watching USA-Ghana today...Ghana player goes down on the field and stays there writhing. Trainers come out and consult...finally the squad of yellow-coats trot out with the stretcher, put him on it, carry him off the field, and set the stretcher down just outside the sideline...upon which he immediately stands up and walks off just before the camera cuts away.

Idiots flopping around? Not idiots. Unethical, cheating, and downright embarrassing from the perspective of a culture that believes in "rub some dirt in it, get up, and play harder!" but hardly idiots when the tactic usually gives their team an advantage...games can be decided on a free kick, not to mention a couple of yellow cards can take a physical team right out of their game for fear of ejection, never mind the damage a red card does. Just glad to see some WC officials issuing cards for obvious flopping--only if they're penalized for it will it truly become "idiotic" instead of being a smart way to play the system for people who don't care just HOW they gain the advantage just so long as they win.

exactly they have never played soccer so they would never understand it.

being an skilled soccer player from latin america, when i was a kid, many coaches would tell me;

"the dumb big guy is gone be marking you, take him one on one all the time, and try to get him mad with your moves, get him a yellow card or a red card, do it in the penalty area as well so you can get a penalty kick, he is big and dumb and he gets mad easily."

and again, i can go on and on how that fits tactically, is part of the culture, part of the sport.

the diving mostly comes from italy and south america, and what they are basically saying is "im smarter than you." and is far far away from a weak act.

diving sometimes would also tell the defender "becarefull, dont do dumb physicall tackles, pay more attention to the ball and not to the player, play clean and stay out of a red card.

now, before you want to fix our sport try to fix:

1. steorids
2. 400lbs embarrasing athletes
3. a million time outs and commercial breaks

fix your stuff first before you want to fix others.

by the way, our boys did their best, but like before, our best wasnt enought.

now lets work on a real coach, and something other than expecting donovan or dempsey to do miracles or hitting long balls to altidore.

where are the skilled-creative american players?

i played soccer & no one flopped around like a little bich.
i follow club, high school & college, mens & womens so thus the shock factor of the flop on the world stage. this will trickle down to college & high school unless the refs/rules reign it in.
it really is starting to resemble the wwe in which case it goes from sport to circus clown entertainment.
so pat yourselves on the back & justify the dramatics but it will only retard the enthusiasm & progress in this country. its a glaring obvious flaw at the highest level & i remain baffled at your argument...& your bitter comparison to other sports, makes no sense to me...who even cares about the other sports? well, look what they do is hardly a thought out convincing argument.
play the dam game the way its supposed to be played might be a better philosophy....call me crazy.

duhhhhh, "thats the way its always been done" might be the rest of the worlds way, but its usually our job to invent a better mousetrap.

Last edited by sandman; 06/27/10 08:11 PM.
S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Amen for the truth being told by Jurgen Klinsmann on World Cup wrap-up show after the England/Germany match on the state of U.S. soccer and the future.

Upside down pyramid!!! The U.S. has got to develop soccer amongst the lower classes (poorer, low-income communities) much as the rest of the world does. We have to reach out to the Hispanic community and the inner-city kids to truly progress on the world stage. Pay-for-play hinders this movement and certainly many a case can be made that Academy and ODP absolutely does not recognize ALL of the top talent and is often merely awarded to kids whose parents can put them in the "right environment" to succeed.

Personally, I hope Klinsmann becomes our next coach and I have been a fan of Bradley and most appreciative of what he has done for our national team, but believe he's taken us as far as he can go.

i saw that & thought the same thing, theres gotta be a way we can follow the yth hoops model. if we figure this out, there will be more than a few world cup trophies forthcoming.

Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard