Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
W
Did any of the U18 boys or U18 Girls clubs recruit college players for better results at State Cup? If so, I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

It's mentioned in another thread that it's a disservice to the players not being seen this weekend due to playing earlier in the week. What about not being seen this weekend due to losing playing time to the added players?

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Did any of the U18 boys or U18 Girls clubs recruit college players for better results at State Cup?

Roster freeze date was Nov 21 so they would have had to have been added to the roster before that date. And their birthdate would have to be after July 31, 1991.

throw in
throw in
I would like to think that by this time of year that most u18's have verbally committed if they are going to play at the next level and would not be using state cup games for recruiting exposure. Also, I believe that both major clubs have in the past have used college players that have previously played for them as long as they have met the age requirements and were rostered.

Nothing is Impossible
S
goal
goal
S
That may be true for your higher level (D1) programs but I still think there are U18's looking for exposure. Remember coaches don't always get what they want either. So I would think some schools/coaches would still be looking for someone who may round out their squad. I know of two players who participated although they are freshman playing soccer. They met the age requirement and were rostered. They certainly aren't in it for recognition but there college coaches wanted them to participate. Do I think it is fair? I guess that depends.....do they fit in with the team? Are they replacing my kid? Will we win State Cup with them? Our coach decided against adding any kids and my son has been fortunate enough not to lose playing time to others in the past. So I really don't know what my position would be.

W
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
W
My question is in regard to players that already play for a college, but are still U18 age eligible.

Did any clubs pick up college level players?

What is your feeling about college players being rostered before Nov 21 to be used for youth soccer State Cup playoffs and finals?

S
goal
goal
S
"I know of two players who participated although they are freshman playing soccer. They met the age requirement and were rostered. They certainly aren't in it for recognition but there college coaches wanted them to participate. Do I think it is fair? I guess that depends.....do they fit in with the team? Are they replacing my kid? Will we win State Cup with them? Our coach decided against adding any kids and my son has been fortunate enough not to lose playing time to others in the past. So I really don't know what my position would be."

I guess I should have said Freshmen in College and our coach was approached but declined to add any college players.

Link Copied to Clipboard