Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
ScottW #127623 01/10/10 08:27 AM
D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Are you complaining about a cost difference of $12? Surely you're not.

No complaint here, just the opposite. The room rate comparison was between the hotel the SC teams were staying at in Gainesville compared to the rates for hotel the SC teams are staying at in Greenville. The point being, in response to RECCOS' question of a refund, that the cost to SCYSA to move the event to Greenville may actually be greater.

For seven years, whenever eligible and honored with an invitation to play, my daughters have fully participated in SC ODP. Considering the experience they've gained both on and off the field from their participation I could never complain of the cost or ask for a refund.

Personally, yes I did save some hotel points due to the move. But I would rather have spent the points in Gainesville supporting an opportunity for the SC teams to compete with the teams from the other states. There are a lot of new players (and parents) in some of the age groups this year that would benefit from a glimpse of what the competition will be like at the regional and subregional camps later this summer.

ScottW #127624 01/10/10 03:05 PM
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Let me simplify this for all:

Why was there a need for anyone to stay in a hotel at all - regardless of where one lives?

DeltaDog #127625 01/10/10 03:33 PM
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Delta, what costs are you alluding to?

"the cost to SCYSA to move the event to Greenville may actually be greater".

RECCOS #127626 01/10/10 07:36 PM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
The event was cancelled..That happens..We can not control the weather..What was a sub regional event turned into an overnight training session or round robin games.

coldhardtruth #127627 01/10/10 07:52 PM
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
The boys are headed home. I'm wondering if given the choice, how many would have preferred to play in those conditions. How many parents who went up there are regretting the decision?

Mad River #127628 01/10/10 10:43 PM
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
I traveled to Winston Salem to watch the games. It was cold but it is cold every year. There were less players there this year which can be attributed to the academy pull and I heard that Georgia teams didn't travel due to the weather. I may be incorrect on that. Still another opportunity to play soccer and for the 94 Boys another chance to prepare and play together before their trip to Lousiana for the ODP Regional Championships.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Coldhardtruth, the Subregional event was cancelled but not SC's final weekend of tryouts, where all players and coaches are brought together for a weekend of games, training, meetings, etc. used for player evaluation and selection to those SC ODP teams that will participate in the Regional ODP tryouts in July. This tryout event is similar to what the players selected will experience at Regional tryouts. From Friday night registration until players are released on Sunday the teams stay together... without parents. Schedules for meetings, games, training, etc. are subject to change. No problem... everyone affected is staying right there together.

RECCOS, the costs I'm alluding to are those directly associated with housing, feeding, and transporting to and from fields 168 players (girls side only) participating in the tryouts.

Some of the states attending the the subregional games may be using the games as training as those states may already have completed their selection process. Some of the states like SC may be using the games as a venue for their final tryout event. That event for SC was not cancelled. It was moved to Greenville without the advantage of being able to evaluate the players competing against the players from the other states.

Last edited by DeltaDog; 01/11/10 06:07 PM.
DeltaDog #127630 01/11/10 06:14 PM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Were there any players cut from the first tryouts?
Since sub regionals were cancelled..Was a weekend of games against each other necessary? I would bet most involved have had the experience of a regional weekend..
If this is what it takes to have ALL the age groups have a more standardized training..I am all for it but I don't see all the teams coming together to train for a weekend as the norm

coldhardtruth #127631 01/11/10 09:21 PM
D
Goal
Goal
D
I don't know the number of players attending the first tryouts to know how many may have been cut. Maybe someone can get that information from SCYSA.

Usually the state selects 30-36 players in each age group to participate in the final tryouts. Obviously, if only 25 players in an age group from the entire state register for tryouts, you might not have players cut before final tryouts. If hundreds or thousands (as you might have in some states) register for tryouts, players will be cut. (That difference in numbers may be part of the reason states like GA and NC have more money available to send players to events like the subregionals without passing the cost on to the players attending.)

SC used to have 3 tryout events beginning with a district tryout. Players surviving district tryouts would gather for state tryouts to select the 30-36 players that would attend the final weekend of tryouts to determine the 18 player state roster plus alternates. I can remember 60+ players at an upstate district tryout the last year district tryouts were conducted. These days it seems a major achievement to get 50 players statewide in an age group for initial tryouts.

As far as previous experience at this type of event is concerned my guess is half of the 93's attending have never attended region camp (lot of new faces), and a number of those have probably never attended this event. This is the introduction year for the 97's, so they've never attended, and I believe the 96's have only gone as far as the June subregional camp in Spartanburg. After this weekend nearly half of the players attending will be cut, except the 93's. Their next list will probably be sorted to team and alternates.

For the youngest age group this event used to mark the end of the ODP experience for the year. It wasn't until 6 or 7 years ago, when the June subregional in Spartanburg was created, that the youngest group continued to train together through Spring. BTW, I believe the creation of the June event was a result of the youngest groups not being able to get together for the January games as a result of cancellations due to weather. SC was covered in ice that weekend.

Bringing all of the age groups together and putting them up in a hotel for the weekend event is not the norm for training. Normally, after the selection process each team trains seperately based on schedules determined by the coach of each team. (As to whether those schedules represent getting your money's worth from ODP, that would be a whole other discussion.) However, for the 7 years my children have participated in the process, the final weekend of tryouts as conducted this past weekend has always been a part of the SC ODP selection process.

There was more going on this past weekend than just getting together for training.

Last edited by DeltaDog; 01/11/10 09:53 PM.
DeltaDog #127632 01/12/10 12:21 AM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Why so many new faces in the 93 group? This group should have four or so years under their belts..
Two years removed from the process but thanks for the information.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard