Print Thread
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
corner kick
corner kick
94G SC 1 TN 6

Tomorrow...is too late.
throw in
throw in
Girls lost 3-0, 5-1 and 6-1? Not a very good showing. Did these girls practice/play together before going to New Orleans? Do the other states practice/train before heading to New Orleans?

Nothing is Impossible
J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
From what someone said earlier, I don't believe the girls have played or practiced together since qualifying in July. Not a single practice with an event like this looming.

In addition, I understand that a few players who were on the team that earned this spot back in July decided not to attend for whatever reason.

So you send an ill-prepared team, and not even the same team, to represent the state.

Personally, I think it's embarrassing for the state, but as importantly, the girls, to send them to an event like this so unprepared. These girls proved they are a talented group back in July, but to think you can field a competitive team at this level, with no practice for six months, is very naive.

Something about this approach certainly needs to change.

Last edited by JAK; 01/19/10 02:23 AM.
JAK #127713 01/19/10 12:46 AM
L
goal kick
goal kick
L
I believe they were only missing a couple of players. It would seem that they have been playing together enough that they should not have lost 3 games 14 goals to 2? The majority of them all just finished Premier league seasons also,which should have been the same level of play.Not sure what the answer is.

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
At least one practice would be a good start:)

The impact of the missing players certainly depends on which players were missing, but one or two key players can make a big difference. I have to agree with you that, regardless, it should not have that kind of goal differential impact.

Didn't someone post that the score with NC was 1-1 at halftime? If so, during the first three halves they were outscored 4-1, including a game against NTX. Then, during the next three halves, it was 10-1.

Sounds like it may have snowballed on them. Some of that could have been lack of fitness after the break and they just weren't physically up to three straight, tough games. If that was the case, that's a combination of their own fault as high level players and a lack of preparation by SC ODP.

Also, from my experiences playing sports, when things reach that snowballing point, it will go in one of two directions fast. One of the best ways to ensure it is in the more positive direction is team chemistry, which requires at least a little practice together if not playing a few games.

But regardless, I think events like this should be taken much more seriously than expecting to be able to just show up and compete.

JAK #127715 01/19/10 11:30 PM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
ODP in South Carolina has long been a joke. Without a DOC, or soccer person, making the decisions on staff, curriculum, training, etc, etc, etc, these types of things will continue. Those satisfied with the program are ones whose kids make the team and play but don't know the big picture of what's really out there. It's a shame for South Carolina players.

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
My daughter did ODP for a few years and at her young age came to the same conclusion..She played and was still unhappy with the program-the best thing she got out of it was friendships with some of the girls in state.They need better quality coaching and a more structured schedule to truly compete with Georgia,North Carolina and Tennessee. If you look at the cost involved it doesn't pay to do it in our opinion.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
It usually takes a couple of seasons of ODP to realize that not much is going on there..Most that enjoy it... Just can't stand to go without soccer between December and Feburary..

M
kick off
kick off
M
Curious to the costs of ODP compared to "club" soccer...
Club Soccer
Tryouts 25
Uniforms 150 (multi year use though)
Registration 150
Fall & Spring Club Dues 850
Team Budget for Fall & Spring 500
Hotels for out of town tournaments 1200
Dining out 6 weekends out of town 600
Gas for traveling throughtout the southeast 700
Totals $4175
or you can say it costs about $105/game - tournament t-shirts are extra. Can't wait to see what a "soccer person" does for the costs of ODP.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
I wasn't talking about the finances of ODP at all. I'm talking about the soccer part.

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard