Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Quote:

Curious to the costs of ODP compared to "club" soccer...
Club Soccer
Tryouts 25
Uniforms 150 (multi year use though)
Registration 150
Fall & Spring Club Dues 850
Team Budget for Fall & Spring 500
Hotels for out of town tournaments 1200
Dining out 6 weekends out of town 600
Gas for traveling throughtout the southeast 700
Totals $4175
or you can say it costs about $105/game - tournament t-shirts are extra. Can't wait to see what a "soccer person" does for the costs of ODP.

Mike, you are trying to hard to defend something you shouldn't.

1. Not every club has a tryout fee.
2. Score?
3, 4 & 5. Not all club fees are as inflated as you have quoted. Regardless this is not much different to the total cost of ODP. (And for what return?)
6. Where does a parent stay who chooses to go and watch their kid play ODP? (That would be two hotel rooms, thank you!)
7. You don't eat when you go and watch your kid play ODP?
8. You don't drive your car to ODP events?

FACT: Cost per practice / game is significantly higher at ODP (versus Club).

A State "soccer person" would not simply run ODP - well one would hope not - as a result his or her expense would be covered by the entire membership, not just ODP.

Next.

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Quote:

My daughter did ODP for a few years and at her young age came to the same conclusion..She played and was still unhappy with the program-the best thing she got out of it was friendships with some of the girls in state.They need better quality coaching and a more structured schedule to truly compete with Georgia,North Carolina and Tennessee. If you look at the cost involved it doesn't pay to do it in our opinion.

Pretty much had the same experience and agree. The only thing is I feel SC is "competing" with most states now as was witnessed in the regions this summer. However; I personally think that has more to do with other states putting more teams into the USSF Academy program thus less quality players playing odp than with SC getting stronger. There is no denying older age groups on the boys side took a hit because of South Carolina United. Quite frankly during the last year of our odp experience I can't say the training sessions were much different than any other average club ball training session. Some (hint - those with kids not playing USSF Academy) will tell you odp is as good a program as it ever was. Others (hint - those with kids playing USSF Academy and a lot of casual observers) will tell you the odp pool has been diluted by the Academy and thus not the program it once was. You pick. As far as being "seen" - your chances these days seem less because of the Academy on the boys side. As far as resume builder - the college coaches are on to what is going on and certainly not looking as much at odp kids as they once did. One last thing about odp that is a certainty - your experience is very much contigent on the coach you happen to be assigned - but isn't that the same with any sport?

M
kick off
kick off
M
I would like to know what the costs for ODP are compared to the normal club soccer? We are just starting out in ODP so I do not know them but I do know what our family has paid over the last 4 seasons playing club soccer. I am sure that some of the costs are a little different but I would bet that I am not off by much as I have spent more than that considering we have also done optional spring break, winter break, summer camp etc. etc. I also have a personal opinion that I think some of the "soccer" coaches at some of the clubs don't encourage ODP as it competes with thier optional training that they pretty much pocket the money 100% with. A lot of parents are really naive and believe whatever their DOC or coach tells them. I guess I still have to pinch myself sometimes as I am stroking check after check towards soccer compared to the $20 it used to cost to play playground football and baseball where we had dads volunteer to coach for free. A bunch of us were pretty good and went on to play in college and we never had "professionals" coaching us. I guess times are just different and maybe when our kids have kids the cycle will change and they will be volunteering to coach soccer and paying for football & baseball.

G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Have all 2010 ODP team selections been sent out?

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
ODP Cost (girls side):
Tryout fee $85
Sub Regionals $225*
Region 3 Camp ~ $650*

Includes transportation, food, hotel for the player. Additional cost if parents decide to go.

Aside from that, the gas to and from practice once a month or so.

Is it worth it? Depends on what your child/you are looking for.

94 Girls listed are out.

M
kick off
kick off
M
Thanks Soccer4fun for the information. That clears it for me, looks like ODP costs a lot less than traveling with your club team unless you decide to travel to watch. I understand that they do not want the kids interacting/staying etc with parents during ODP training/events.
Thanks again & good luck on your season & your ODP training

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
We heard selections would be posted on Friday 1/22.

M
bench
bench
M
The 94 Girls received an email last night with the team and alternates selections. Probably won't make the website until Friday. I don't know about any other teams.

Mary #127728 01/21/10 12:29 PM
J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Mike,

Another way to look at it is the cost per game and practice:

Using the numbers posted:

ODP:
Games: Sub-regional (3)
Region 3 Camp (5?)
Practices: 5 which is very high from what I've heard
Cost each: $760/13 = $58

Club:
Games: Season (19 if two seasons, one in PL which I assume is what you are talking about given the gas cost you quote)
Tournaments (9 minimum (3 events) using your cost)
State Cup (1 minimum)
Practices (at least 96 over spring and fall)
Cost each: $4175/125 = $33

If you look at a top team that many times move out of group/1st round of tournaments and state cup, you have to add perhaps another 6 games for a few semis and finals. Than moves the number down more.

Of course, to really compare apples-to-apples, you need to either factor in going to watch ODP or skipping a few tournaments, which widens the gap further.

All that being said, the cost is only part of the equation. As has been pointed out, it depends on the player and their goals as to whether it makes sense.

Last edited by JAK; 01/21/10 12:42 PM.
JAK #127729 01/21/10 12:47 PM
world cup
world cup
Rumor has it that there are more alternates than players. I don't understand why they do this?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard