Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
brace
brace
Tammy D is a mega winner. Nothing else makes the cut. Sometimes when you win it all like she has at WCU, you have to take another challenge to keep life interesting.

Guarantee you that wherever she goes, they will win. I love winners.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Well said ROH.
I am sure Tammy outlines during the recruiting process what she expects of her recruits. Recruits make an official visit on campus and 'hang out with the players'. During this time prospective players hear the team perspective of the coach, his/her training, fitness tests, classroom expectations etc. So this should not become a surprise when they enroll at the university/college.
I do think the priorities of some women soccer players change as they get to a university/college. They have played club since 4th grade and achieved the pinnacle of their goals and expectations - a scholarship and then life changes because most do not want to play professional nor coach soccer.
Tammy is known around the country as a very good coach, who can motivate players to achieve beyond their comfort level. She is known as a very demanding coach, but a coach that cares about her players and about her program.
If you watch at camp during the summer, she connects with players. She demands them to bring their best to each session and does not settle for mediocre. Coastal Carolina is very lucky to get her and she will develop a winning program over the years.

L
Goal
Goal
L

"taking all of the fun and enjoyment out of the game for the players"

some of you get on here and talk about the important of players having fun playing, playing with friends and love of the game and then support a coach that is doing the exact opposite.

world cup
world cup
You have to know exactly what you are buying into when you choose to play at a college soccer program. I feel sorry for players who are in a "comfortable situation".....and then the coaching change comes about.

The college soccer experience should be "fun", but at the D1 level you are being compensated for your effort. Winning matters. If the new coach wants to raise the bar, you better be prepared to step up.

What one person sees as a "demanding, motivating, successful coach"....others see as a fun-sucker.

Know what you are getting into before before you sign your LOI.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
U
kick off
kick off
U
I was just giving you guys direct word of what was said about the coach and her requirements and the corresponding reaction from the players. Dorman, you make a good point, but these players didn't sign up to play for this coach, and apparently this is what has upset the balance so much.

I think Hurst66 signature says it all really.

brace
brace
Quote:

I think Hurst66 signature says it all really.

His signature is right on the money for "kids" but remember we are talking about payed Adults, do not think college athletes are anythings less.

A new coach is like a new boss in the "real" world. "What have you do for me lately?", is a fact we all have to face at some point. You are right they did not sign up for that kind of program, but the coach did not sign them up either.

If they can not handle the new program then yes they should standup and walk away, but I think it unfair to the coach to look back over your shoulder and complain as you walk away. Time will tell if the coach is crazy like a fool or crazy like a fox! Beside who know if you were a coach in a troubled program and wanted to clean house how would you do it?? I might (just maybe) get real hard a** on some players and see who could not take the heat. Goes back to the real world too seen in the work place many a time.

world cup
world cup
Chief,

No doubt, you often need to clean house in order to change the culture. Question is.....did the culture need to be changed at Coastal Carolina?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
brace
brace
I guess I would have to say, it did if the coach thinks it did.
Afterall she is the one whose continued sucess is based on the culture/climates she sets. The players would all be gone in a year, two or maybe three but she will (at least I would think she hopes to be) still be there trying to make it work her way.
Funny thing about being a boss or a coach, is that most (even the greatest) tend to only do it thier way. They know how to get sucess and thats how they do it. Not saying you have to be ridgid about everything but overall they want it done how they "think"(read as know) it will get the job done with the best results.

U
kick off
kick off
U
While i agree to some degree with your points Chief, part of playing soccer in college, as I can attest to having just finished my collegiate career, is enjoying what you're doing. Keep in mind that many of the athletes are only on partial, if any, scholarship at all, considering how many players are on the roster and how many scholarships are actually awarded. No matter how much money you may be getting, if you hate your job, you're not going to do your best in it, or think it's worthwhile, which is apparently why a lot of these players left. Like you said, though, we will see how things turn out as far as whether or not the attitude and approach the coach is taking will pay dividends.

brace
brace
I do think that player who have had to under go a coaching change should have some way of regaing their year of eligibility should they choose to transfer. Those who are doing it without scholarships are the ones with the love for the game and I can feel bad for them but if they want to be one the team they have the least room to complain. Maybe if they make the changes the coach wants they will win and the point becomes mute as they see a payoff?

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard