Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
goal
goal
S
Just finished talking to my daughter a D-1 player at a big school. A standard practice last week consisted of 40 100 yard sprints, each to be completed in under 17 seconds with a 40 second break between each sprint. If a single player missed the 17 second time mark the whole team repeated that sprint. The team ended up running over 60 sprints that morning. Trash cans were placed on the field for when players got sick. And yes this is a coach that some of the players didn't sign up for, as far as my daughter, she actually enjoys the tough training enviroment.

brace
brace
I played for Jimmy Mc Wallace in high school (basketball). He might have been the toughest coach I have ever known. If we lost (6 times in three years), we practiced quite often for 6 hours. Once, we practiced for three, he said he didn't like it and we started over and did it again, and the started again at around 9:00 pm that night. We got out at 11 if I remember correctly.

My father was in the school parking lot furious. I told him that if anyone saw him I would move out of the house. Everyone was treated equally, and we all became winners.

I learned some major life lessons from Coach Wallace, but the most important was that if you do anything in life, be a winner. It served me well.

I don't use these tactics today with our "modern" kids, but laugh about how great things used to be when you could actually condition young people to do the right thing and to be tough. It didn't kill me.

Sweet: When my daughter went for her visit to WCU with Tammy D, she was told that the important thing wasn't her 100 time but if she could do it thirty times. She almost threw up; I laughed my rear end off. Coach Wallace would have loved it. Sounds like your daughter is in a similar situation. I would probably like your daughter too if she is that tough.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
U
kick off
kick off
U
I agree Chief, I'm sure if they win the Big South next year there won't be many complainers.

Feet, Retired, I'm not even going to go there. We'll see how Coastal gets on in the future.

D
Goal
Goal
D
UnitedFan, most of the discussion here has looked at the impact of the coaching change on existing players. Do you know if the timing of events may have affected those committed to signing NLI's last week? I haven't seen anything on the CCU website.

Brace
Brace
My daughter played in the Big South for four years and had a similar coaching change after her freshman year (when they reached the Conf finals). The coaching change was a major difference but something she was well aware of could happen when she signed up to play college ball. Her love of the sport and competitive nature served her well even though the new coach was not her favorite! College players need to recognize that this could happen on almost any campus, especially if not a top tier school.

K
bench
bench
K
According to a club coach that knows Tammy, Coastal honored all NLI's. Under the impression that all signed

D
Goal
Goal
D
Any idea how many are coming in with 2010 class or when a list may be released on the CCU site?

K
bench
bench
K
Sorry, I don't have that info...I'm just third hand info.

D
kick off
kick off
D
The new coach at Coastal, Tammy, is just trying to get rid of some of the players that don't fit into her philosophy. Since CC had to honor all 2010 recruits for at least a year (don't full yourself some will be let go after the season) she has to get rid of other scholarship players to make room for some of her recruits from Western.

It would of been easier to just give her full control to cut whoever she wants rather then make her force people out, but that is what happens in coaching changes.

brace
brace
That would dove tail with my comments. I can not really blame her, she has a job to do and has limited options. The players are in a bad spot but should have known that this could happen. Only thing that seems unfair is the fact that I think 1 they will lose a season of eligibility by transferring, maybe system should allow players to leave with no penalty when new coaches are hired.

Wonder how many who bailed where scholarship players? Have any landed anywhere else to play?

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard